How to trim ceiling plinths in corners?
The plinth, which is attached to the ceiling, performs, first of all, an aesthetic function, separating two planes – the walls and the ceiling itself. However, besides this, such a detail implies another important function – sometimes it hides the errors in wallpapering or finishing the ceiling. Of course, the skirting board will not fit harmoniously in every interior design, but in most cases the interior will look incomplete without using this detail. In this article, you will learn how to trim ceiling plinths in corners using the tools at hand..
The algorithm of actions is as follows:
- The ceiling plinth must be attached to the place of gluing and the necessary measurements must be made.
- After the fillet, you need to put the top on the bottom of the miter box tray. In this case, the lower part of the plinth must be pressed against the wall of the tool.
- Next, you need to cut the skirting board at an angle of 45 ° using a saw or knife. When cutting, it is important not to overdo it with pressing force, as chips may remain on the plinth.
- So you yourself need to cut off the butt skirting board, at the same angle.
- At the end, you need to dock adjacent fillets at the gluing point, while adjusting the cut line with a knife.
For those who are doing this procedure for the first time, experts recommend practicing on trimming skirting boards.
Procedure in the absence of a miter box
How to cut off a fillet corner if you don’t have a special tool – a miter box? And is it possible?
Maybe. To do this, you need to go one of the two options below:
- Make markings on the wall;
- Draw a miter box.
How to cut the inner corner of a skirting board – How to cut a skirting board inner ceiling corner
Cut off the outer corner
If everything is not so difficult with the inner corner points of the room, then how to cut the ceiling plinth in the corners, if it is outside? To begin with, it is advisable to mark the inner baguette – this is necessary in order to avoid a situation when the required bar is not enough in length. To do this, you need to attach the bar to the ceiling itself and outline its dimensions..
So, the markup is done, you can get to work:
- Install the skirting board by pressing it against the nearest wall, hold it with one hand.
- Select a 45-degree hacksaw position when the handle is close to the hand holding the workpiece.
- Cut the workpiece.
- Cut the striker in the same way.
- Dock corners.
to the content
Marking on the wall
With the help of markings on the wall, you can get out of this problem situation. In this case, the following sequence of actions should be performed:
- First, cut off the fillet (at an angle of 90 °), apply it to the corner and draw the line on the ceiling.
- Similarly, we make the same markup for the second (butt) fillet.
- Thus, we get a markup on the ceiling of the room from two intersecting lines. The resulting intersection point of these lines must be transferred to both ceiling plinths (as shown in the figure below).
- Next, we apply the fillet to the corner and draw the line from the resulting intersection point to the other edge of the plinth. It will be the cutting line. It remains only to carefully cut off the corner of the ceiling plinth with a sharp knife..
perfect inside miter joint hack – baseboard molding install
How to connect the planks if the corner is uneven
In city apartments, and especially in old ones, the walls are rarely even. Therefore, the angles between them are often not right at all. How to properly saw down the ceiling plinth in this case?
In fact, it is not as difficult as it might seem at first glance. You just need to measure the angle. To do this, you can use a special tool malku, or just make a template out of paper and use a protractor.
An uneven angle can be measured using a small goniometer.
Divide the resulting angle by two, draw the corresponding “miter box” on the plywood and cut the strips. Next, you just need to connect them with glue.
Trim ceiling plinth
Ceiling skirting boards are made from a variety of materials – polystyrene, polyurethane foam, plastic, wood. To trim them, the tools available in every home can be used. Styrofoam strips are cut with scissors or a knife. The wooden plinth is cut with a hacksaw for wood. How to cut a plastic skirting board is also not a question. You can saw it with an ordinary hacksaw for metal.
Cutting the skirting board in the miter box
Trimming in a miter box is done as follows:
- The right strip fits into the tray from left to right with the wrong side to the bottom (with the part that will subsequently adjoin the ceiling). The part of the abutment to the wall should be leaning against the side board of the tray (closest to you);
- The bar is pressed tightly against the tool and is cut through the slot.
How to make a corner of a ceiling plinth
[su_label type = “warning”] Important: [/ su_label] [su_highlight background = “# fdffcd”] When trimming, remember that the edge of the skirting board adjacent to the wall should be longer than the edge adjacent to the ceiling when decorating the inner corner. When decorating the exterior, the opposite is true. [/ Su_highlight]
- A second ceiling strip is inserted into the tray from right to left and cut off;
- The finished planks are attached to the corner and the joint is adjusted with a knife;
Planks are attached to the corner and an adjustment is made
- How to join the corners of the skirting board? You can do this from a stepladder right on the wall. But this is not very convenient, therefore, experts advise to combine and glue polyurethane and foam elements with each other on the floor with special glue for joints..
The corner is best glued before installing the skirting board on the walls.
How to cut a skirting board:
What to do if there is no miter box?
Thus, we figured out how to cut down the ceiling plinth (the video above may help someone figure it out better) using a miter box. But what if this tool is not at hand? In fact, you can adjust the slats exactly without using it. There are two main ways to solve this problem: marking directly on the wall and making an imitation of a miter box.
In the first case, the procedure is as follows:
- The left strip is tightly pressed against the ceiling;
- With a pencil, a fishing line 1 is drawn directly on the ceiling along its upper edge;
How to properly cut a ceiling plinth without a miter box. Making the first line
- Next, the right ceiling element is attached to the ceiling and a fishing line 2 is drawn;
- A mark is placed at the intersection of the edge of the right plank with line 1;
The second line is drawn and a mark is put on the plinth
- Next, the left element is again attached to the ceiling;
- A mark is also placed at the intersection of its upper edge with line 2;
- Now on each strip you need to connect the marks with the end of the lower edge of the plinth;
Then, according to the resulting mowing line, the actual cutting of the plinth at an angle is performed.
How to cut a scribe/cope internal corner on skirting boards or baseboards
Without the use of a tray, mounting the planks in the corner can be quite neat
In order to cut an even corner, you can also use an imitation of a miter box:
- Draw two strictly parallel mowing lines on a smooth plywood sheet;
- We put a point on one of them and, using a protractor, connect it to the second line at an angle of exactly 45g (draw to the left);
- At a distance of 10 centimeters to the left of the first point, we put the second;
- We connect it with the second line at an angle of 45g (we draw to the right).
How to cut the corner of a ceiling plinth using an imitation miter box
The impromptu miter box is ready. Now it remains to attach the right ceiling element (wrong side) with the lower edge on the right to the mowing line closest to you and cut it off. The same with the left bar (only you need to apply it on the left).
[su_label type = “success”] Tip: [/ su_label] [su_highlight background = “# e5fec3 ″] You can cut styrofoam strips with a knife. However, sharpen it properly. Otherwise, the material at the ends will simply crumble. [/ Su_highlight]
How to cut a skirting board without a miter box:
How to cut the corners of a ceiling plinth
The most difficult part when installing ceiling and floor skirting boards is the corner design. It is necessary to dock the planks in such places very carefully, otherwise the appearance of the decor will be hopelessly spoiled. Of course, you can use quite aesthetic special corner pieces..
However, naturally docked planks usually look more harmonious. And in this case, you will not have to spend money on additional parts. Therefore, later in the article, we will consider how to cut the corner of the ceiling plinth correctly and how to process the seam.
- Trim ceiling plinth
- What is miter box?
- Cutting the skirting board in the miter box
- What to do if there is no miter box?
- How to connect the planks if the corner is uneven
- How to finish finishing the corners
- Corner pieces for ceiling plinths
- How to properly trim a floor plinth
What is miter box?
Cutting planks at an angle of 45g is done in a miter box
Corner pieces for ceiling plinths
Cutting ceiling strips when using corner elements (special connectors) is also usually done in a miter box. How to cut the planks in this case? It’s very simple – the cut is done at right angles. If there is no tray, you can use a regular protractor or square. Corner elements (photo):
When using corner elements, the strips are cut at right angles.
How to finish finishing the corners
We have figured out how to cut the corner of the ceiling plinth. Now let’s see how to finish the joints. How to cover the joint in the corner? In the event that a small gap remains here, the filling can be done with ordinary putty to match the color of the skirting board. Joints can also be sealed with silicone sealant.
The gap between the planks in the inner corner can be filled with putty
[su_label type = “warning”] Important: [/ su_label] [su_highlight background = “# fdffcd”] Only the inner corner can be sealed with putty or sealant. The outer should be fitted as closely as possible. It will be simply impossible to remove even a small gap in the future imperceptibly here. Especially when the skirting board is wide. [/ Su_highlight]