How to properly run a chainsaw
How to properly run a new chainsaw: step by step steps and tips for further operation.
How to properly run a chainsaw
The resource of new chainsaw equipment largely depends on the quality of its preparation for subsequent operation. How to properly run a European or Chinese-made chainsaw with maximum efficiency?
The low-cost in terms of time and material investment process of running in a new tool has a positive effect on its performance and duration of use.
Moderate loads during the first stage of running-in contribute to a full-fledged lapping of internal parts, complete and inexpensive development of the assigned turnaround and operational life.
Factory run-in benefits
It should be noted that new saws from many leading manufacturers do not need running-in. The running-in of the piston group and working equipment using a special technology is carried out directly during the control tests.
The chrome plating of the inner diameter of the cylinder and the application of wear-resistant coatings on the working surfaces of loaded parts helps to reduce the time of this stage. However, the recommendations for a gentle operation during the first hours of the tool remain valid.
Recommendations for the initial run-in phase
- The practice of running in a new chainsaw without a saw headset is fundamentally wrong, since all its moving elements need to be run in.
- The typical run-in time is several hours. In any case, the design of chainsaws of any quality and price level does not provide for continuous operation of the engine at idle.
- In this mode, the loaded parts of the piston group and the connecting rod-crank mechanism experience a significant lack of lubrication, which inevitably leads to overheating and forced wear of the working surfaces.
- The total running-in time at idle speed with periodic blow-by cycles of 25-30 seconds should not exceed 15-20 minutes.
The operation of a running-in engine without load at high speeds is categorically excluded. over, idling running in the tool is ineffective, and the best result can be obtained when exposed to moderate loads. The new chainsaw can be used to cut medium density wood with small diameters up to 100 mm.
How to run a new chainsaw correctly?
Enough has been said about what a chainsaw is for and what requirements a modern gasoline tool must meet. But besides, in order to choose one modification out of a thousand that would best meet consumer needs and just like the use, it is important to understand what operating conditions are required for this particular device so that it justifies the investment and lasts as long as possible.
In addition to caring for the body, oil pump and cutting set, a very important point concerns the running-in of a new chainsaw – a manipulation that must necessarily take place before the start of the fruitful operation of this device. And what it is for and how it is done correctly, we will discuss in this article.
Why use chainsaws?
Before starting the initial processing of a gasoline saw, you should pay attention to the following points:
- The operating instructions, which need to be studied in detail, because it is in it that all the requirements for starting work are usually prescribed;
- Get oil that matches this particular saw, and gasoline with a high octane number;
- Purchase a new suitable chain, which should be supplied after the bluntness of the break-in chain, with which all new saws are equipped;
- Be patient, because these efforts will be 100% justified.
Chainsaw break-in – we observe the correct sequence
When the technical details contained in the user manual are already sufficiently studied and understood, you can proceed to this process directly. It is important to know that simply assembling the saw without the saw mechanism and trying to start it will not give any sense – the tool should feel the load from the first seconds in your hands, which can only be given by the cutting chain. In this case, it is possible not only to "develop" the motor, but in general to get used to the arrangement of the tool handles, its ergonomics, which, although created for one thing – for comfort, but differs from different manufacturers.
How to properly test new equipment – step by step instructions
After completing all the preparatory procedures, they proceed to the direct run-in. Procedure:
- Release the brake on the cutting tool (move the handle forward until it contacts the front handle). This is a mandatory procedure, otherwise strong heating will occur in the clutch area, which can lead to melting of the body and failure of the tool parts. The condition of the chain is checked by pulling it in the direction of travel. Gloves should be worn on hands.
- Close the choke and turn on the ignition. If there is a decompression valve, turn it on.
- Grab the starter handle, pull it a little until a tight contact is formed and jerk it with a sharp movement several times until a flash of fuel occurs in the combustion chamber. The saw should start and stall in a second or two. Thereafter, the air damper is opened and the engine is restarted.
- After starting, a gas cycle is performed to full engine speed, after which the saw is left to idle for 3-5 minutes. Learn more about how to start your chainsaw.
- Cut small trunks or branches no more than 10 cm thick. The load is dosed – first small, then medium, and the transition to the maximum working load is made at the end of the running-in (after running out of 5-6 full fuel tanks).
After the end of the running-in, it is necessary to adjust the carburetor to the operating mode.
Features of running in tools from different manufacturers
Chainsaws from different manufacturers differ from each other in design, engine power and other parameters. Accordingly, the process of running in them also takes place taking into account the specific features of the tool. It should be noted that top manufacturers supply the market with fully prepared tools that do not need running-in. Information about operating modes, the need for running-in and other important points can be found in the instructions for this chainsaw.
Basically, running-in is required for domestic and Chinese chainsaws. It is produced in accordance with the stated rules and specific methods set out in the instructions.
Consider the nuances of performing the procedure for two popular models of chainsaws:
- STIHL MS-180 (Stihl). German chainsaws, known all over the world. The carburetor of these tools is shipped with the tool running-in mode. The fuel-oil mixture is made up in a ratio of 1:50; for a complete break-in, at least 5 full tanks will be required. It is strictly forbidden to start and leave the saw to work on canvas! It has air cooling, which practically does not function in this mode.
For normal cooling, a flywheel operation is necessary, and this is possible only under a load, even a small one. After the end of the running-in, you should contact the service center to reset the carburetor to the operating mode.
- CHAMPION (Champion). Chinese tools are difficult to repair and should be handled with great care. Break-in of Champion chainsaws is carried out on a fuel-oil mixture with a ratio of 1:50. It is necessary to use oil of the same brand name – CHAMPION JASO FD, since the Chinese tool is sensitive to the quality of fuels and lubricants. The manufacturer requires a run-in until 6-8 full fuel tanks are used up. There are no special requirements, except for normal conditions – soft operation without prolonged loads at full engine speed.
Figure 4 – Running in the "Champion" chainsaw
Do I need to run in a chainsaw?
A new or overhauled chainsaw is not ready for full load. It is necessary to operate it in a softer mode for some time, so that all moving parts properly rub against each other. This applies not only to the engine piston group, but also to the cutter and frame elements. The gentle mode allows you to prepare the mechanisms for full load, reduce or completely eliminate the risk of pistons jamming in the cylinder, and facilitate the movement of the chain without unnecessary friction and heating.
The main problem with non-rolled chainsaws is the lack of uniform transfer of thermal energy to the cylinder walls. It remains on the piston, which expands and poses a risk of wedging, which means engine failure and the need for overhaul. When all the smallest irregularities and roughness are smoothed out, there is a good contact of the piston with the cylinder, which increases compression and heat transfer. This evens out the operating mode and removes unnecessary friction loads. In addition, the noise level is reduced, which is also important for users performing large volumes of work.
Lawn mower Procraft T-5600 (4-stroke)
Our manager will contact you shortly
Fill in the required fields and our manager will contact you
Lawn mower Procraft T-5600 Is a new generation four-stroke lawn mower, recently appeared on the Ukrainian market. Refers to professional grade instruments. Recommended for use in domestic conditions at a summer cottage or suburban area, as well as utilities and farm lands, making hay for animals. With a 1.2-liter fuel tank, it is capable of delivering 5.6 kW of power and a maximum speed of up to 9000 per minute. The Procraft T5600 lawn mower is characterized by low fuel consumption, low noise level, which allows the operator to carry out large volumes of work without stopping or interruption. From 2020 equipped with throttle grip with engine speed lock. This is necessary primarily for the service life of the lawn mower and to reduce the strain on the user’s hands. Also, a four-stroke lawn mower can be easily converted for other types of equipment: a boat motor, a motor scooter, a moped, a motorized scooter.
Running in Chinese chainsaws
Many users will argue – well, it’s good when it comes to brands: Stihl, Echo, etc. Can afford to have quality manufacturing processes. And what about cheap Chinese? The answer is yes, their surface cleanliness may not be top notch. Although it should be borne in mind that the same Calms are also produced in China, which does not make them worse. But often the usual modes of operation without increased torques (without the tire wedging in the barrel, which should be avoided at any other moment) provide more benefits than "enriching the fuel mixture" or, God forbid, idling.
How to run a chainsaw correctly – the main threats
What, in fact, are the problems of many councils. Let’s figure it out in order.
|P / p No.||Meeting council||Arguments for"||Arguments against"|
|1||The chainsaw must be run in at idle speed.||The idle speed is the lowest.||The most harmful advice I come across. A great way to kill a cylinder / piston group. Idling, even in cars, is allowed only for a short time: in this mode, the fuel burns out in a non-optimal proportion, the ability to lubricate surfaces sharply deteriorates, heat dissipation deteriorates sharply, carbon deposits appear, and seizures occur during prolonged operation.|
|2||For the chainsaw, you need to prepare a special mixture of oil and gasoline. In a special proportion (some sites write – more oil, some – more gasoline).||Arguments "For" are offered by both. It is up to the one who listens to the advice of "experts" to decide what to stop at.||Deviation from the instructions of the instructions developed by the manufacturer entails inevitable problems either from oil starvation or from an overabundance of lubricant. In either case, nothing good will come of it.|
|3||It is necessary to carefully study the instructions, prepare a mixture, pour oil into a container for lubricating the chain and work carefully.||"For" – because the manufacturer recommends it.||There are no arguments against. But why do many sites chew this banality for a dozen paragraphs? To make the article voluminous?|
|4||Using the adjusting screw "H" you need to lower the minimum speed of the chainsaw and make the mixture richer.||Low revs improve surface lubricity. This is recommended by the "leading saw manufacturers".||It’s a lie. No manufacturer will recommend pouring oil into their saw, thereby trying to shift the imperfection of their own production onto the shoulders of the consumer.|
There are other options for advice. You can’t list everything.
Chainsaw break-in – everyone gets it wrong!
- Why run-in is needed
- How to run a chainsaw correctly – the main threats
- How is it correct?
- How is this possible?
- Running in Chinese chainsaws
- Running in tires and chains
- Exception to the rule
- Repairman vidos to dispel doubts
After reading on the Internet tips on how to properly run a chainsaw, many begin to spoil their machine, significantly reducing its service life.
Fortunately for the owners, and especially for those who give harmful advice, damage caused by improper running is not immediately noticeable, since it is very difficult to spoil a new device all at once. Therefore, in appearance everything is fine, and breakdowns and repairs will happen later, everything will be blamed on marriage, bad gasoline or manufacturer defects. Do not repeat other people’s mistakes! However, first things first.
Starting the trimmer for the first time
When everything has been checked and the prepared fuel mixture is poured into the tank, the moment comes for the first start of the trimmer before running it in. To do this, you need to perform the following manipulations:
- Place the mower on a level, horizontal surface;
- Move the choke control lever to the closed position;
- We pump fuel into the carburetor with several strokes of the primer;
- Turn on the ignition switch;
- Smoothly pull out the starting cord until you feel resistance;
- Then make 3 4 sharp jerks with the cord until the lawn mower starts;
- After starting, open the air damper.
Inspection of the lawn mowers gearbox and its lubrication
The gearbox must be checked on a regular basis before starting the petrol trimmer. Lack of lubrication or a small amount of it increases the friction of the gear transmission of the gearbox, which operates at rather high speeds. The result is overheating and gears. The lawn mower gearbox is out of order. To prevent the occurrence of such a breakdown during operation, regular inspection helps.
If, before starting the gasoline spit, it is detected that there is insufficient or no lubricant in the gearbox, LITOL is put into the body. For this it is necessary to unscrew the screw on the bend of the gear housing and to inject LITOL in the amount of 1-2 ml.
Preparing the correct fuel mixture
Before starting the running-in of the new engine of the lawn mowers, it is also necessary to properly prepare the fuel mixture. As is known for two-stroke engines, it is prepared from special two-stroke oil and gasoline, taken in certain ratios. You can find out the proportions from the instructions that came with the tool or on the lubricant label. From the instructions, you will also learn the recommended type of fuel, as well as the recommended type of engine oil.
When going to run in a new lawn mower, many are faced with a problem in preparing the fuel mixture. And the reason for this is the disagreement in the instructions of the tool manufacturer and in the instructions of the engine oil manufacturer. The former recommend a 1:25 ratio. The latter recommend 1:50. Whom to believe? How to proceed?
According to experts, if manufacturers write a ratio of 1:25 or 1:30 in the instructions for a lawn mower, then most likely this is either a cheap tool with poor cooling, or the manufacturer does not know what kind of oil the consumer will add. But here you need to understand that an excess of lubricant does not in the best way affect the performance of the trimmer. Excess oil does not completely burn out when the engine is running. It cokes, clogs the cylinder and piston.
How to deal with this situation when running in a new tool? The ideal option would be to purchase exactly the oil recommended by the lawn mower manufacturer. In the case of run-in engines, when it is not possible to purchase the recommended oil, it is best to purchase a good Husqvarna two-stroke oil for the gasoline-powered tool of the same name. It is not cheap, but it lasts for a long time. It is necessary to stir it as written in the instructions on the bank.