How to start a petrol trimmer Instructions for starting a lawn mower engine for the first time, starting a petrol trimmer with a warm engine and the main mistakes that should not be made when starting a 2-stroke engine.
Starting lawn mowers with cold engine
To start the mower for the first time, locate the choke lever and place it in the closed position. Turn on the ignition on the handle. If your model has a manual fuel pump, popularly called suction, then press it 3-5 times until you see the fuel mixture inside the primer. The tool is now ready to run. Place the trimmer on a flat surface to ensure a stable position. Pull the starter rope gently until you feel its resistance, and then pull the rope towards you with a sharp movement 3-5 times.
If the engine starts after 5 jerks, open the choke. If this does not happen, open the air damper anyway (if the damper is open and you continue trying to start the engine, the fuel will flood the candle and you will have to dry it, and this is a waste of time).
If the engine does not start when the throttle is open, close it and continue pulling the cord. The first launch can be quite difficult and require up to 15 jerks. After the engine has started to work, press the throttle lever once, so you engage idle. Now let the engine run and warm up. After that, it can be stopped by pressing the Stop button.
How to start a petrol trimmer
The process of commissioning lawn mowers, whether you bought it now or got it after winter storage, the rules listed below will allow you to avoid basic mistakes that can damage the tool.
Let’s say you just bought a petrol trimmer. Take the instructions out of the box and see if you have all the parts listed for the lawn mower. After that you can start building.
Starting a warm engine
It’s very simple. Move the switch to the working position and pull the cord before starting. If you do everything according to the instructions, then there should be no problems with starting a working lawn mower.
How to start a chainsaw
The question of how to start a chainsaw can be divided into two parts:
- Factory according to instructions
- What to do if you can’t start
The information from the first part will be useful to those who have lost the instructions, or to those who have little information about the instructions.
The second part will tell you what to do if you did everything correctly according to the instructions, but the chainsaw still won’t start. It will also be useful for those who have a poor start-up of a chainsaw.
2.Why won’t the chainsaw start?
If you did everything according to the instructions, and the chainsaw does not start, then something is wrong with it. This may be due to several of the most common reasons: no spark; no fuel is supplied; air filter clogged. So, below we propose a procedure that will help identify the reason why the chainsaw does not start.
1.We start the chainsaw according to the instructions
For different chainsaws, starting can be done in different ways. Let’s look at two of the most popular mechanisms that are used to start a chainsaw that exist today. Let’s take the Stihl MS 180 and Echo CS-352ES chainsaws as an example. If you have a different brand of chainsaw, then just try to start by analogy, since most likely you have the same or similar mechanism.
Before starting the description of the starting process, I would like to note that for some chainsaws, the instructions say that before starting the chainsaw, you need to turn on the emergency stop brake. Say it’s safer. However, with a fixed brake, starting the chainsaw is more difficult, so it is better to unlock it. If you do everything according to your mind, then the chainsaw will not do anything to you during startup. If you are afraid that without fixing the brake the chainsaw, when you try to start it, can harm you, then it is better not to take up this tool at all.
So let’s start with the Stihl MS 180.
- The first thing to do before starting this chainsaw is to move the choke adjustment lever to the lower position (Fig. 1). Please note that this lever moves to the very bottom on the chainsaw only if the gas button is pressed. Therefore, we hold down the gas button and move the lever down. Thus, we close the choke in the carburetor and fix the gas in the pressed position at the chainsaw.
Fig. 1 After you have done this, further, to start the chainsaw, begin to pull the starter handle with an energetic movement until you hear that the chainsaw tried to start and immediately stalled. After that, we move the throttle position adjustment lever at the chainsaw one step up (Fig. 2).
- In this position, pull the starter handle again until the chainsaw starts. At the same time, if it turned out to be started, due to the fact that the throttle stick is fixed in the pressed position, it will immediately work at high speeds.
- Then, once press and release the gas button on the chainsaw, the throttle adjustment lever will automatically return to the operating position (Fig. 3), and the speed of the chainsaw will decrease. Now you can work.
- If you need to start a heated chainsaw, then you just need to put the lever in the position, as in fig. 3, and can be wound up.
- To stop the engine of the chainsaw, lift the choke adjustment lever to the upper position (Fig. 4).
Now let’s take a look at the second second mechanism that allows you to start the chainsaw.
- First, before trying to start, turn on the ignition by moving the toggle switch or the chainsaw switch to the appropriate position (Fig. 5).
Then press the swap primer several times (Fig. 6). Gasoline will be pumped into it and then click on it 3-5 more times. If you have a chainsaw without a primer, then proceed to the next step.
Now on the chainsaw, pull the throttle position adjustment lever to the end (Fig. 7). In some chainsaws, in order to start it, this lever can only be pulled out when the gas button is pressed, while the gas button itself will be fixed in the pressed position. Others do not have to press the gas button. True, in this case, the gas on the chainsaw is fixed automatically or not at all.
Briefly about the launcher
The chainsaw is powered by an internal combustion engine. This is a simple device, the design of which does not have any special bells and whistles. It usually works well even under difficult conditions.
Operation is provided by structural elements:
- Carburetor engine (see carburetor adjustment).
- Centrifugal clutches.
- The ignition system is contactless in almost all devices.
- A carburetor that adds air to the fuel mixture.
- Fuel system. Its standard device consists of a hose, filter and gas tank, but sometimes it has additional parts.
- Chain (see chain oil).
- Chain tensioner and brake (see how to sharpen the chain).
If you can’t turn on and start the chainsaw
When all actions are performed in accordance with the established order, and the chainsaw does not start work, then there are malfunctions in its mechanism. Usually the cause of this phenomenon is common and easily fixable problems, such as lack of spark, shut off fuel supply, clogged filter that allows air to pass through. In order to start the chainsaw, you will have to find the cause and take the necessary steps to eliminate it.
Only correct actions should be taken. If a person does not know what to do, there is no need to commit rash acts. It is forbidden to disassemble the device, you need to be especially careful with the carburetor. You cannot unscrew any screws on it, since if its device has become the cause of a breakdown, then it is impossible to repair the chainsaw without professional equipment.
The actions that need to be performed in a strict order are listed. Only during the transition from one measure to another can the exact cause of the malfunction be determined and quickly eliminated without damaging other parts. Algorithm of actions performed in case of failures in the establishment of a chainsaw:
- At first it is enough to let the device rest. This is especially true for recently used saws. It is enough to wait no more than 10 minutes, since during this time the mechanism will cool down and in the absence of other breakdowns it will easily start. Sometimes it happens that a candle is poured near the appliance during the establishment. If this unpleasant property has occurred, then it is enough to wait a very short pause and repeat all the steps again to start the engine.
- The housing cover is unscrewed from the device for removing the air filter. The process of starting up the device is performed if it is absent. Sometimes the reason for the lack of ignition is that the filter is dirty. If ignition occurred without it, then the reason lies precisely in this. To eliminate these troubles, it is enough to wash the filter under running, warm water and soap, then dry it. You can also replace the old item with a new one.
- The spark plug is removed. The spark is checked. If it does not appear, you need to replace the old candle with a new one. Usually this helps and a spark appears, but in some cases there is no spark even when changing the mixture.
When a spark appears when you cannot get the device to work, you must continue to follow the steps below.
- There are times when a spark appears, but the candle itself is moist. This is possible if gasoline gets on it. To get rid of it, it is enough to turn the device over so that the cylinder is facing downwards. Then all the excess liquid will pour out. Next, you should check the combustion chamber, for which you need to pull the starter more than 10 times. A candle damaged by moisture can be replaced with a subsequent check of its effectiveness. If it becomes faulty, you can replace this element with a new one. After these steps, you need to try to activate the device again.
- Sometimes the candle stays dry. In this case, it is necessary to draw the gas mixture into the syringe and pass it into the cylinder. After that, you should immediately try to start the device. If the reason for the long absence of reaction to the attempts to switch on is debris trapped in the carburetor, then when removing it, there should be no interference with the flow of fuel into the combustion chamber. The mechanism of successful garbage collection is determined by the flow of liquid when filling the gas mixture, so you need to pour fuel with force, and then almost immediately try to start the device.
- The muffler is removed. To do this, it is unscrewed and carefully removed so as not to deform the gasket that delimits it from the engine. It is necessary to try to start the mechanism without using an air filter and a muffler, which helps to exclude breakdowns in these structural elements.
When the brake is activated, the assembly process is much slower, so everything can also be switched on safely and more comfortably without the use of braking equipment.
Why the chainsaw starts and stalls
If the saw does start, but stalls at the first attempts to do the job, the reason may be different. Reason # 1: chain jam due to lack of lubrication or problems with the chain brake, which makes further work impossible. In this case, check the oil level in the container. If everything is in order, the reason may lie in the tube leading the fluid to the lubrication mechanism. It can clog, break, stopping oil flow, or burst causing oil to leak out without reaching its destination.
Reason number 2 problems with the carburetor. Parts of it may have deteriorated and require cleaning or adjustment. It is quite difficult to determine the breakdown in this case. Cleaning the carburetor is a rather difficult and monotonous task, which not everyone can do. The same applies to checking the condition of its parts. It is better to entrust such an operation to professionals. The only thing you can do at home (but only for some models) is to customize it. All instructions on how to do this are in the accompanying documentation.
The last reason is a banal low level of the fuel mixture in the tank. It manifests itself when the chainsaw stalls when tilted. The mystery lies in the fact that when the fuel runs out when tilted, it accumulates in a certain part of the tank. When tilted, the suction tube may end up in the airy part, which stops fuel flow into the chamber.
Why the chainsaw does not start well
There may be several reasons why the saw will not start well. It is necessary to check them in turn, excluding one after the other, approaching a guess. The simplest reason is lack of fuel or ignition off. So, you can fill the tank with a fuel mixture and check the start of the ignition system. If this does not help, proceed to checking the condition of the spark plugs.
The absence of a spark from spark plugs is most often explained by 2 reasons. No. 1, carbon deposits have accumulated on the candle, which needs to be cleaned off. No. 2 candles wet from gasoline. The first sign of this is a strong smell of gasoline near the candle. The candle can be dried with a rag, having previously unscrewed with a key, or simply wait 10-15 minutes until the mixture disappears. If the spark plug gets wet frequently, it is necessary to determine the reason why too much fuel is being supplied.
It also happens the other way around, when the candle is dry, and there is not even a smell of fuel near it. The reason for this is that the mixture does not reach the combustion chamber. This process needs to be restored to resume work.
Do not forget that candles are consumable and require periodic replacement in case of malfunction.
The air supply also plays an important role in starting. To eliminate the problem, remove the air filter. If necessary, clean it or sopun if available. The muffler may also need cleaning. Soot and carbon deposits accumulated in it affect the work.
The last thing to think about is a poorly formulated fuel mixture. But this is what can serve as a bad plant and poor quality work.
It is not recommended to carry out more complex breakdowns yourself; for their solution, you should contact the nearest service center.
Why the chainsaw won’t start
- Chainsaw breakdown reasons
- Why the chainsaw does not start well
- Why the chainsaw starts and stalls
- How to start a chainsaw correctly
There are many reasons for the breakdown of such a complex tool. Therefore, it is important to immediately determine why the chainsaw won’t start. This will allow you to put it in order on your own or with the help of outsiders. Sometimes the reasons are so commonplace that they are rarely mentioned in the instructions, but in most cases even small recommendations from there will be useful.