Tucking the line into the grass trimmer.
I want to devote today’s article to the sore subject of summer residents and gardeners of the entire post-Soviet space “How to fill the line in a grass trimmer.” Not many trimmer manufacturers answer this question in their instruction manuals. Therefore, it is also difficult for simple gardeners to figure out how to do it correctly.
I want to start with a brief description of the technical characteristics of the trimmers.
So, grass trimmers are electric and gasoline. The cutting element for trimmers can be a line and a knife. The fishing line is ordinary, four. pentahedral and intertwined (in the form of a pigtail). Knives come in 2, 3 and 4 bladed knives. Knives also come in plastic and metal.
The line feed system from the grass trimmer is manual, semi-automatic and automatic.
Development engineers who create new models of trimmers accurately calculate the diameter (thickness) of the line and the number of knife blades, according to the power of the trimmers. Otherwise, the engine is overloaded, resulting in damage to the engine. And these are additional and significant costs.
Grass trimmers on the market today:
Gasoline trimmer CHAMPION T438 S-2 how to start a gasoline trimmer, how to run and work correctly
With one nozzle. only a line. With two nozzles. a fishing line and a three-four-blade knife. With one nozzle. only three to four blades.
Our Kulibins have long ago learned to improve any mechanisms. So, for example, some gardeners make successful, in their opinion, replacement of fishing line with a metal cable, or fishing line. But at the same time, they do not think about the safety of their own and their loved ones, because a cable with the power of a working grass trimmer can easily break out and not only injure the mower and others, but leave him crippled for life. Using a fishing line can and gives a better effect, I have never personally tried it than a line for a grass trimmer, but this work has a number of inconveniences: when it comes into contact with hard objects, it loosens or can simply be pulled out of the reel without limit.
So, what is called closer to the topic. Here is an example of how to tuck the line into a grass trimmer (Bosch Art 30 grass trimmer). Everything is very simple. Started.
How to Replace your line by winding it on the EGO Power 15″ String Trimmer
After you have chosen the line for refueling, you need to cut off the required amount of line, because all the line in a skein will not be wound into a reel.
Remove the coil and the protective cover from the coil.
They took it off. We fix one end of the line in the gap and carefully and evenly wind the line.
The amount of line should be such that the protective cover of the reel closes and the line on the reel unwinds a little by itself.
We put the other end of the line into the hole on the protective casing.
Next, we take the coil and the protective cover of the coil. We squander the end of the line from the reel into the metal hole on the protective cover of the reel. Tighten the line a little.
Putting it all on a grass trimmer. Turn the coil clockwise until it clicks.
They fixed it. Now we connect the grass trimmer to the mains. We put the grass trimmer in the starting position for work. Turn on the grass trimmer. Excess line length will be cut on the trimming blade.
Storage space for spare coil
It is very simple to install such a fishing line into the reel. according to the internal scheme inside the reel. We insert the center of the line with a metal mount in the upper part of the reel, and draw the ends of the line along the grooves and bring it out.
It is stored on the top of the grass trimmer body.
Heavy-duty line in a reel
This reel is attached to the grass trimmer in the same way as a reel with an ordinary line.
In addition, you should pay special attention to the thickness of the consumable. For mowing young grass, a thread with a diameter of one and a half millimeters is suitable. The larger the diameter of the thread, the drier and coarser weeds it is capable of overpowering.
When choosing a fishing line by thickness, there is one “but”. It is important not only to assess the capabilities of the material, but also to take into account the features of the grass trimmer. Be sure to check the user manual that came with your tool for information on cutting element requirements.
Using the wrong thread can damage the tool. Using a thread that is too thick will overload the machine’s motor. And the use of a thread that is too thin will significantly increase the wear of the twisting mechanism.
That is why the choice of consumables must be approached no less responsibly than filling it into the grass trimmer. When a suitable fishing line is found and purchased, you can begin to consider ways of winding it on a reel.
Features of the use of trimmers
a grass trimmer that mows grass with a fishing line can be used near: houses and other buildings, fences and hedges, trees and shrubs, flower beds and flower beds, row spacing in a garden plot.
Such a convenient, and most importantly, effective device, like a grass trimmer, exists in several variations:
As the names suggest, the types of grass trimmer are noticeably different from one another. But regardless of the type of this tool, a fishing line can be its cutting element. Of course, the line tucked into the reel of the grass trimmer is not endless. And sooner or later you will need to replace it with a new one.
Line consumption directly depends on the frequency of use of the device and the scale of the work performed. The more grass is cut and the more often it is trimmed with the grass trimmer, the more active the line is. And, accordingly, the faster it will end. In this regard, the question arises: how to tuck the line into the reel of the grass trimmer?
Not everyone knows the answer to this question. But winding the line on a reel plays an important role in the operation of the grass trimmer. For the device to function properly, it is very important to properly wind the new line onto the reel. How to change the line on the trimmer, and will be discussed in this article.
The first way to wind the line
The required amount of line has been cut off. Now you need to carefully examine the bobbin in order to understand what type it belongs to. It depends on how the line is to be wound on it.
There are two types of bobbins. In general, they differ slightly from each other. Regardless of the type, the coil is divided into two sections. upper and lower. In the first type, the dividing edge does not close into a ring and has a depression.
In the second type, it is solid, but near it there are small through holes on the sides on both sides. The method of winding the thread must be studied depending on which of the above types the coil belongs to.
- The previously prepared six-meter segment must be bent in half. It is best not exactly in the middle, but in such a way that one half is about fifteen centimeters longer.
- Then the place of the fold must be inserted into the recess in the dividing face. One half of the line should be at the top of the reel, the other half at the bottom.
- Now you can start winding directly. You need to wind in the direction of the arrow on the bobbin. When winding, you need to keep the threads so that they do not intertwine and the upper half winds up in the upper part of the spool, and the lower half in the lower part. Each half should have about fifteen centimeters free from the end.
- There are small indentations (or, in other words, grooves) in the upper edge of the bobbin to secure the consumable. The ends of the threads must be inserted into these grooves so that they are fixed against each other.
- The final step of loading the consumables into the tool is to thread the ends attached to the bobbin into the corresponding holes in the grass trimmer head.
- That’s all. The winding process is complete. Now all that remains is to assemble the head into a single whole. The spring fits neatly back between the bobbin and the head. Then you need to insert the bobbin into the head and press them together.
- It is recommended that the free ends of the thread be pulled out more. To do this, pull the ends of the consumable one by one so that they are removed from the grooves of the bobbin. You can make sure that the cutting element is removed from the retaining grooves by trying to pull the threads a little. they should freely exit through the holes in the head.
- While pressing the bobbin down, you need to put the cover over it. The cover must be screwed to the head so that all the grooves on their bodies are aligned and the bobbin remains fixed between them.
- And finally, the very last action. the head is screwed back into place at the bottom of the tool.
The process is complete. The line is tucked into a reel. grass trimmer ready for further work.
How to wind the line on the reel of a grass trimmer: winding methods and videos
Any garden owner knows how quickly weeds can fill an area. A grass trimmer will help you to defeat them without undue effort. This incredibly useful device is an indispensable tool for trimming and mowing grass.
It is no secret that an ordinary lawn mower cannot be used everywhere. In contrast, the trimmer can handle even very difficult areas. This is especially true for those tools in which not a knife, but a fishing line acts as a cutting element.
How To Tips for Easy Restring of Weed Eater with 2 strings
How to wind the line onto the spool of the grass trimmer
At first glance, threading a line into the reel of a tool is not an easy task. But it is enough to carefully study this process. and in the future, all the necessary actions will be performed without any difficulties.
Read this guide to learn how to line your grass trimmer. The step-by-step instructions below take into account the peculiarities of the spools of different types of trimmers, therefore, it is applicable to any tool.
- The line spool is the bottom edge of the grass trimmer. First of all, of course, you need to remove this head from the device. To do this, you need to fix the rod (or, in other words, the shaft) on which the coil is attached. It is required to fix it in such a way that it does not scroll. The easiest way to do this is by placing a kind of stupor (preferably metal) between the shaft threads through a special hole. When the shaft is fixed, the spool can be unscrewed.
- At this stage, you have to remove the bobbin from the head, on which the fishing line is attached. To do this, you need to disassemble the head into elements. To do this, you first need to find a retainer on its body. It is located on the circumference of the product and is like a button. When the latch is found, you need to press it firmly. Keeping the latch pressed, turn the head cover clockwise. Then you need to remove the cover and remove the bobbin.
- A tight spring is placed between the bobbin and the head. It needs to be put aside for a while so that it does not interfere with the winding process. Before proceeding with the step of winding the line, it is necessary to inspect the bobbin. If there are remnants of old fishing line on it, they must be removed. When the bobbin is cleaned, you can start preparing a new bobbin.
- From a previously prepared skein of new fishing line, it is necessary to measure and cut off six (maximum. seven) meters. Keep the bobbin close at hand.
At this point, the key stage actually begins, which this article is devoted to.
Which line to choose
Before you stock up on this material for dressing in a grass trimmer, you need to decide on the choice. After all, the usual so-called round fishing line is far from the only existing species. How to choose the most suitable one? First you need to determine the working conditions.
Selection by type. Round line is the most common. It will fit any coil with rare exceptions. This type of consumable is suitable for cutting fresh, juicy grass. But with the mowing of the so-called dead wood, such a species may no longer cope. It is pointless to mention attempts to mow bushes with this thread.
In addition to the usual type, there are others that have sharp edges. Usually they are made with an asterisk or a square. The presence of sharp edges is the main feature and key difference between these threads.
It is thanks to this feature that the threads of these types are able to mow dry weeds. But sharp-cut threads are not without drawbacks, the main of which are quick wear and strength, which is noticeably inferior to the round type.
In addition to the already mentioned types of woods, there are also interesting and common varieties. Especially among them can be noted fishing lines, inside which a metal wire is stretched. This type of thread is often used in gasoline powered tools with an engine over 1.5 horsepower.
Metal-cored threads come in both round sections and sharp edges. Regardless of the type of section, such threads are the best suited for overcoming difficult-to-cut plants. Threads of this type can easily mow not only dry grass, but even small bushes.
The wires with a wire inside compare favorably with other types of consumables for their incredible wear resistance. Unfortunately, this feature has a more than noticeable impact on the price of this type. The cost of yarns with a core is much higher than the cost of other types of yarns.
Second winding method
- A previously prepared six-meter-long segment is required to be bent exactly in the middle and cut. Thus, two segments of the same length are obtained.
- At one end of each segment, you need to make a small “hook”. To do this, it is necessary to bend a couple of centimeters from the edge and fix it for a short time so that the “hook” does not unbend.
- Then one segment is taken. The hook is inserted into the through hole at the top of the bobbin.
- Now you can proceed to the key stage. winding. The direction in which to wind is indicated by an arrow on the bobbin. It is important to make sure that the line is wound strictly within the upper part of the reel. You do not need to wind the thread to the very tip. about fifteen centimeters should remain free from the end.
- In the upper edge of the spool there are small recesses (so-called grooves) for fixing the consumable. The loose “tail” of the thread must be inserted into one of these grooves.
- The top of the coil is tucked in. Now you need to do the same procedure with the bottom. Take the second piece of thread. The “hook” is threaded through the through hole at the bottom of the bobbin.
- After that, you can start winding the fishing line (within the lower compartment). And for this segment, you also need to leave about fifteen centimeters free from the end. This remaining “tail” must be inserted into the notch opposite to the one into which the end of the first segment was inserted.
The subsequent steps for this type of coils are exactly the same as described for the previous type in paragraphs five to nine.
This is how the line in the grass trimmer spool changes. There is nothing complicated in the process. And already after several refuelings, all actions will come to automatism.
To visually study the process described above, you can turn to the Internet for help. On the popular YouTube portal there are many different videos showing how to wind the line on the reel of the grass trimmer.
The thread does not hold
It happens that the thread unwinds if the spring in the semiautomatic head has weakened. The line is constantly extended and cut with a knife installed on the cover, which increases its consumption. To check this, remove the cover and turn on the unit. If the line “climbed”, then you will need to replace the spring.
In this embodiment, the head is screwed onto the gearbox shaft. To remove it, you need to fix this shaft. To do this, in similar trimmers, for example, in the Huter and Champion, there is a hole through which you can insert either a thin screwdriver or a metal rod.
So, to remove the bobbin, follow 2 easy steps.
- Insert a screwdriver into the hole and lock the shaft.
- Grasp the head body and start turning it clockwise. Turn in this direction for the reason that the thread cut on the shaft is left.
What can be used instead of fishing line
Many trimmer users are wondering: what can replace the default cord used in this kind of machines? Begin unsafe experiments by installing metal or copper wires, metal ropes or strings, and regular fishing line in the mowing head.
If you install a metal cable instead of a fishing line, the grass trimmer turns into a dangerous device not only for the user, but also for others. This fact is explained by the fact that during the operation of the unit, the steel cable will gradually be triggered, its ends will unravel, and small pieces of wire will scatter in different directions at high speed.
A similar thing happens when using steel or copper wire, with the only difference that the pieces that have come off will be larger and can cause significant injury.
And if you accidentally hook your or someone else’s leg while working with a steel cable (wire), then a strong and deep tissue incision, and in some cases amputation of toes, is guaranteed. It is not in vain that the manufacturer uses nylon for these purposes, since it is quite lightweight and durable, and when it comes off, it does not fly far and cannot cause injury.
Of course, you can use fishing line in the trimmer instead of the standard one, but this will add extra trouble to you, since it wears out quickly, breaks, mows slowly and is not suitable for cutting tough grass. In addition, during the work, a lot of time is wasted to replace the broken tool more than once.
In practice, the installation of a regular line is justified if the user is going to mow the grass near the fence, especially if he is from the netting. In this case, in order to protect the standard and sometimes expensive line from wear and tear, it is changed to a fishing line, which is not a pity. Usually, in order to change the line to line, it must be selected with the greatest thickness. 2-3 mm.
High cord consumption
In general, the cord runs out quickly if the semi-automatic head is tapped frequently on the ground or if it is pressed down hard. The spool is unlocked, and the line, lengthening, is cut with a knife. Another reason that the cord runs out quickly is improper operation of the machine with an automatic head: the user often cuts the engine speed when mowing. But as we remember, the automatic head is designed in such a way that it is with each decrease in revolutions that a new portion of the line is supplied, so it is quickly consumed.
Some reels provide a second method of securing the cord: you can charge 2 pieces of thread, instead of one folded in half. The line is replaced according to the following algorithm.
- Before changing or loading a new thread into the spool, determine how many meters it will take using the method described above.
- Bend one end of the cord into a hook.
- Find the hole in the bottom of the bobbin for the line to be fixed, and insert the looped end of the thread into it.
- It is required to wind the cord according to the direction of the arrow to the required level not exceeding the spool diameter.
- Do the same for the second bobbin compartment.
- The assembly of the head is no different from the method that was given when threading the bobbin with a half-folded piece of fishing line was considered.
For Shtil brushcutters there is a very simple and quick way to change the line without disassembling the mowing head, which you can familiarize yourself with by watching this video.
The ends of the cord protruding from the holes in the casing can be cut to the required length after the part is installed in the trimmer. This can be done in two ways:
- by turning on the grass trimmer (when rotating, the ends of the fishing line will be cut against the knife fixed for this purpose on the protective casing);
- cutting off the excess ends with scissors so that they do not touch the casing body.
The second method is used if a large diameter cord had to be supplied, and the edging knife cannot shorten it.
If the filament has been loaded into the mowing head, but the length of the protruding ends of the cord is not enough, then they must be lengthened before starting the machine. this applies to the head with manual adjustment. However, there are cases when using a semi-automatic mowing head when, due to the insufficient length of the protruding ends of the cord, they do not automatically lengthen. In this case, it is necessary to turn off the unit (on an electrical device, it is necessary to unplug the plug from the socket), manually press the button located at the bottom of the part and pull out a little line. After this procedure, the cord can again be extended due to centrifugal force if you set the maximum spindle speed.
Regardless of the thickness of the line you set, you should remember: in order not to constantly interrupt work and not change the line, you should avoid areas where the working tool can touch hard surfaces (stones, curbs, thick dry branches, etc.).
The first way
To correctly determine how many meters of fishing line is required for a particular reel, it is necessary to wind it on the bobbin so that the skein does not exceed the diameter of the sides. If the line sticks out over the edges of the spool, you will not be able to insert it into the casing. After you have decided on the length of the material, it must be threaded into the bobbin, so do the following.
- It is necessary to fold the fishing line in half so that one end of it is 10-15 cm longer from the other.
- Please note that the bobbin is divided into 2 parts by the central collar, from which charging begins. Find a groove on it and insert a cord bent in half into it, applying a little force.
- It is very important to determine in which direction the line is wound onto the reel. If you look closely, you can find an arrow on the bobbin or an inscription with an arrow indicating in which direction the winding should be carried out. There are times when there is no arrow on the reel. In such a situation, you can look at the arrow drawn on the mowing head and wind the cord in the opposite direction.
- Winding should be done carefully, turn by turn, with maximum thread tension.
- After the laying of the cord is completed, you will first need to fix the short end of the line by inserting it into a groove of a suitable diameter on the side of the reel.
- The second end, the one that is longer, is attached in a groove on the opposite side of the bobbin.
- After fixing the fishing line, cut off its ends, leaving an allowance of about 10 cm.
- Next, you need to install the loaded bobbin into the mowing head. To do this, alternately inserting and pulling the thread into the outlet holes of the head, place the bobbin in the casing, then, applying the required force, pull the fishing line out of the fixing grooves and tighten it.
- Now you can put on the cover and fix it with the latches.
Line winding algorithm
Depending on which grass trimmer model is used, the type, thickness and length of the line are selected. The diameter of the cord can be from 1.2 to 4 mm. It is not difficult to guess that the thicker you fill the cord, the harder and thicker grass it is able to cut.
In most cases, use a universal line with a diameter of 2 mm.
There are 3 ways to find out which line diameter you can use on your mower.
- View information on the thickness of the cord in the instructions for the device.
- Look at the bobbin itself. It can contain information about the possible diameters of the line.
- Insert the line into the exit hole. If it easily passes into it, then a cord of this diameter can be used.
The line is wound on a reel in the mowing head. Therefore, first you need to open it (this was discussed above). There are 2 ways to wind the cord.
Types of trimmer heads
The grass mowing head is a cylindrical body in which a spool (bobbin) is inserted with a fishing line (cord) tucked in it. This design can be installed on both gasoline and electric trimmers. The heads differ in the way of threading and feeding the cord and are of 3 types.
- Automatic. Cord feed is performed after the user reduces engine speed. Although the automatic line feed is convenient if a large amount of work is being done, such bobbins have one drawback. a high thread consumption.
- Semi-automatic. The use of this type of heads does not require the user to perform complex manipulations. The principle of their operation is designed in such a way that the cord lengthens automatically while the apparatus is operating at full speed. It is enough to lightly bang the grass trimmer head on the ground (this removes the blocking of the cord), and the line is pulled out of the bobbin due to centrifugal force, and then it is cut to the required length with a knife located on the protective cover.
- Manual. To lengthen the cord, the device must be stopped, after which the line is pulled manually.
Based on the above, semi-automatic bobbins are the best option. It should also be borne in mind that grass trimmer reels are single-string (used only for trimming grass) and two-string, which are used for mowing tall grass and small, thin-stemmed bushes.