Advantages of making a chain set
The chain and the bar are included in the list of interchangeable equipment, so the sawyer, depending on the peculiarities of the work, can use several sets of different lengths and productivity. Average service life of wear-resistant branded tires allows the service life of three saw chains.
The cutting edges of the saw chain links need to be sharpened periodically. The indisputable advantages of using a set of several chains are uniform wear of the drive sprocket and good compatibility with the chains included in the additional set.
Saw chain replacement and adjustment sequence
It is not technically difficult to change the chain of a household and professional chainsaw on your own. The key to the successful implementation of the adjustment work will be strict adherence to the recommendations of the attached instructions.
Due to the thermal expansion of the metal, the chain is installed on the chainsaw and the subsequent adjustment is made only on a cold tire.
- In the classic solution, the technology provides for the inclusion of a lock against accidental engine start, unscrewing the threaded fasteners, dismantling the tire and cleaning the guide groove from sawdust.
- Next, you should make sure that the dimensions of the shanks correspond to the width of the groove, determine which side to put the chain on the chainsaw, fix the tire and adjust the chain in the sequence indicated by the instructions.
- Before putting the chain on the chainsaw, you should make sure that the direction of the chain on the chainsaw meets the stated requirements, and that the chain tensioner has sufficient free play.
After adjusting the new chain, it is recommended to run the saw at medium speed for 2-3 minutes, then check the chain tension again. This moment can be combined with visual control of the lubrication system.
The classic budget-class chainsaw chain tensioner is usually a threaded bolt with an adjusting component, standard or side-mounted. The chain tension is adjusted with the included wrench or screwdriver.
expensive models are equipped with easy-to-use devices that allow you to tension the chain with one movement of the lever or by turning the adjusting disc.
In the first case, the degree of tension is fixed with a lock nut, in the second, the tire and the chain tensioner are locked in a predetermined position by installing the cover. In both versions, reliable fixation of the chain in a given position is guaranteed, the possibility of compensating for its extension with minimal loss of working time.
Negative consequences of incorrect chain adjustment
Checking the condition and tension of the chain is included in the mandatory list of preparatory work.
It depends on how much you manage to put the chain correctly:
- the duration of its subsequent operation;
- safety of cutting operations of increased complexity;
- resource of the engine and chainsaw as a whole.
A dragged headset drastically reduces work productivity, initiates excessive loads on the power unit and transmission. Tire overheating and excessive fuel consumption also occur.
A loose chain can fly off the bar or break. The formation of traumatic moments is partially or completely eliminated by emergency stop systems and catchers, which, with more or less success, unravel the chainsaw chain and determine its suitability for subsequent operation.
Installing a part with damaged or deformed links can lead to uneven wear of the tire guide groove and other undesirable consequences.
Features of manual and mechanized sharpening
Dull cutting edges of the saw chain appear:
- a noticeable decrease in productivity;
- ejection of small shavings;
- the appearance of a characteristic smell of burnt wood.
To restore the cutting properties of the chains, several types of sharpening devices are used.
In the simplest version, it is a holder mounted on a rail complete with a set of special files, in the other. a sharpener with a power drive. Both technologies have their own advantages and disadvantages.
Low-performance and time-consuming manual chain sharpening helps to preserve its resource. The mechanized method provides good performance, but the lack of an individual approach to each cutting link of the chain negatively affects its durability.
Reasons for premature failure of saw chains
Accelerated elongation of the part occurs during the running-in phase and in the last quarter of the service life. During these time slots, the headset needs special attention and careful maintenance.
- The reason for the rapid stretching of the saw chain can be the poor quality of the material of the budget model, the mismatch of the configuration of the crown and excessive wear of the drive sprocket, a malfunction or ineffective operation of the lubrication system.
- The full operation of the chainsaw chain also largely depends on the condition of the tire and the drive sprocket, the quality of the chain oil and the performance of the lubrication system, the timely and competent sharpening of the edges of the cutting links.
According to professional sawers, the operator’s style of work and the level of operational stress affect the durability of the headset. The chains of the budget group are more susceptible to stretching, the more expensive branded assortment has no comments on technical and operational properties.
How to tension the chain on a chainsaw: installation and proper operation
Regardless of the class and purpose of the chainsaw, the cutting device includes a guide bar and a saw chain with a tensioner. The instructions contain information on how to properly tension the chain on the chainsaw in order to exclude additional loads on the engine and accelerated wear of the headset.
This element of the sawing mechanism is used under conditions of high variable loads, therefore, during operation, it requires constant monitoring. A characteristic feature of the used saw chains is an increase in size due to the formation of gaps in the joints of the links.
How-To Properly Adjust The Chain Tension On Your Chainsaw
Methods for checking the degree of tension
To check the degree of tension, it is enough to pull the chain in the middle of the tire, the output of the link shanks is allowed no more than 2/3.
- A properly adjusted chain should not stick when manually moving along the bar.
- Also, squeak and other extraneous noises in the area of the leading sprocket are excluded.
- After running the chain, it is necessary to check the tightness of the threaded fasteners of the bar and the protective cover.
After long-term operation, the chain is not tensioned due to the lack of adjustment travel of the tensioning mechanism. The design of the chain allows its length to be reduced by removing several links. On the other hand, such savings translate into a loss of smoothness of the chain and forced wear of the groove of the tire and the crown of the drive sprocket.
How to install a bar with a chain on a chainsaw?
Often, problems in the operation of a chainsaw arise when the tire is incorrectly installed. This can be determined by the characteristic rattling, vibration and low performance of the saw during operation. The tire is fastened to the body between the outer plate, fixing is carried out with a special bolt.
Popularly referred to as the “engine assembly”, this part consists of a drive sprocket and locking bolts. It is not difficult to install the tire together with the saw. you need to remove all protective covers, unscrew the fixing bolts by a third of the length and put the headset. Then tighten all the nuts tightly, turn the tensioner with a special lever.
Fitting the tire on Stihl and Husqvarna
Chainsaw models from the manufacturer Stihl may differ during the assembly process. Step by step guide:
- Open the wing nut, remove the chain sprocket cover. Turn it on the tire all the way to the right.
- Place the chain on the bar, starting from the top, the cutting tooth on the top side must point straight ahead.
- Attach the assembled tire to the chainsaw, pull the structure over the sprocket. Slide the guide onto the shoulder bolt. Close the cover by placing the pins in the holes provided by the manufacturer.
- Turn wing nut until sprocket cover contacts motor housing.
- Turn the clamping bolt forward, the drive links should fit into the grooves in the bar. Tighten the wing nut completely.
At the end of work, check the tension, if the headset does not move well, adjust the tension with a nut. Engage the chain brake before starting.
The Husqvarna saw chain installation algorithm is almost identical. The main difference is that in most models, the tension and adjustment of the position of the headset to the body is controlled not by one, but by two wing nuts. There is rarely a separate adjustment lever on the outer sprocket guard, so the tension should be adjusted using bolts only.
Important! Before starting to work with the chainsaw, you should carefully study the owner’s manual. It describes in detail all the stages of setting up and assembling the instrument.
When the chain tension is reduced, the problem is often accompanied by a weakening of the tire itself. To check its condition, you need to inspect the place between the top plate on the headset casing and the inner surface on the case. When the locking bolts are loosened, the bar begins to move, which can be seen by the characteristic vibration during sawing. For frequent use, it is recommended to tighten the bolts regularly.
Figure 1. Loose tire
If you decide to tighten the tire yourself, then you need to find and lower the chain brake. Turn the tension screw so that the chain fits snugly into the grooves. After that, pull back the chain in the direction of travel, if it is too tight, loosen the screw.
Important! Tire loosening is observed in both professional and household chainsaws. If the tool is used intensively, check the tension before each start.
Why did the chain fly off?
There are several reasons why the chain can fly off during operation. This may be due to improper tire operation or insufficient tire tension. The problem sometimes appears even with an insufficiently secured drive and driven sprocket. Determination of the cause allows you to accurately select the required repair, tools.
How to properly put a chain on a chainsaw?
In most chainsaw models, the chain is easy to put on the tire by unscrewing the main screw, then the links must be placed on the drive sprocket. Before starting work, the general condition of all cutting surfaces and the guide groove and setting wheel should be inspected. Often, dirt and small chips accumulate in it, which will subsequently lead to planned repairs, deterioration of sliding. Step-by-step algorithm of work:
- Loosen the screws securing the sprocket protection cover, usually it is tightened with a wing nut.
- Turn the tensioning sprocket to the right until it stops.
- Place links on the headset starting at the top. Drink so that they fall into the corresponding grooves.
- Fasten back the chain sprocket mount, tighten the nut. The guides must fall into a special chute.
- Release the chain brake, pull the chain along the mowing line to check the tension. Tighten the tensioner lever if necessary. Figure 4. Installing the chain on the chainsaw
The setting wheel should turn freely after installing the chainsaw chain. At the end of the work, it is imperative to lubricate all moving parts of the tool to avoid rapid wear.
Important! Installation of the headset should only be carried out with heavy protective gloves. This will protect you from injury and cuts from the sharp edges of the cutting edge of the teeth.
Trouble with a leading star
Sometimes chain slack is due to drive sprocket problems. The most common situation is when it is poorly secured. Step-by-step algorithm to twist the asterisk:
- Remove the engine cover.
- Remove the air filter and unscrew the candle, putting in its place a special stopper to fix the piston in an immovable position.
- Using the angle grinder wrench, turn the clutch disc clockwise to the highest position. Check the tightness of the sprocket, adjust its position. Figure 3. the driving star on the chainsaw
After tightening, reassemble the chainsaw, be sure to put on the protective cover. When assembling, check that the chain fits snugly on the bar.
How to put a chain on a chainsaw correctly: instructions, recommendations, basic methods
The chain is an important element in the construction of a chainsaw. It is she who has the greatest load during work, so high-quality and systemic care is required. When using any model, it is important to know how to put on the chain correctly, to monitor its tension. If it is not secured correctly, there is a risk of stretching and coming out of the grooves. Reduced saw performance and increased risk of injury at high power.
- Why did the chain fly off?
- Loose tire
- The chain is stretched
- Trouble with a leading star
- How to properly put a chain on a chainsaw?
- How to install a bar with a chain on a chainsaw?
- Fitting the tire on Stihl and Husqvarna
- Chain tension
The chain is stretched
Any functional changes in the chain lead to a decrease in the productivity of the tool, injuries during operation.
It should be regularly monitored so that there is no deformation of the metal and stretching of more than 1 cm.
If this problem still occurs, you need to purchase a new chain or correct the old one.
Disconnect the chain links on the machine or fix it in a vice, file off the rivets and knock them out with a bit (it is not recommended to use an angle grinder).
Remove 1-2 links depending on the chain stretch. After that, put all the elements in place, insert the rivet and beat it off with a hammer, use a special rivet tool. For reliability, it is recommended to use a welding machine. At the end of the work, grind off excess and burrs with a thin file.
There are no luxury versions of the Champion 137 chainsaw, but when buying spare parts, you should pay attention to the production date of your model and be sure to inform the dealer of spare parts.
During the entire existence of Champion 137, it has undergone an upgrade at least three times. On it, the body parts were updated, making the saw more attractive and ergonomic.
Adjusting the carburetor of the Champion 137 chainsaw
Adjustment can correct the situation only when there is no air leakage and blockages in the fuel system in the saw, and the chainsaw continues to gain momentum at idle or does not develop speed and full power.
The Champion 137 is a diaphragm carburetor with three standard adjusting screws (H), (T) and (L). The correct setting is carried out according to the following algorithm:
- with the engine off, all screws except (T) are set to the position of 1.5-2 turns from the fully tightened state;
- the saw is started and allowed to warm up for several minutes;
- by tightening the screw (L), find the maximum number of idle revolutions, then loosen the screw by ¼ of a revolution;
- adjust the idle speed with the screw (T) to 3000, if the adjustment is made without a tachometer, then the screw (T) is unscrewed until the chain on the saw stops spinning;
- twisting the screw (H) set 12,500 revolutions, if there is no tachometer, then by ear there are maximum revolutions with a fully open throttle, after which the screw is unscrewed by one quarter of a turn.
A properly adjusted carburetor keeps the engine at idle speed and throttle response.
Champion 137 does not have any design features, everything is done as simple and cheap as possible. The engine is ordinary. two-stroke, diaphragm carburetor, starter without additional springs, but this does not mean that the chainsaw is bad. It is pleasant to hold it in your hands and starts up no worse than Husqvarna’s household model, for example, the 236th.
Minor improvements are still available, this is an additional fuel pump, which is designed to facilitate starting after a long idle time, as well as a chain tension regulator installed on the side cover, which is quite convenient.
In the latest Champion 137 variants, the manufacturer has added a top cover hatch through which you can access the air filter and spark plug without the need for additional tools. Conveniently? Of course, it is convenient, since before, every time you needed to check the cleanliness of the air filter, unscrew the 4 screws securing the top cover and remove it completely.
The saw controls are made as simple as possible, there are no combined levers and other things. Separate choke control lever, which is mounted on the housing to the right of the rear handle. Reliable and inexpensive push-button ignition switch.
At first glance at the saw, it becomes clear that this is a budget option without any bells and whistles. Below you can watch a video test of the Champion 137 saw.
Appointment Champion 137
The chainsaw is intended for domestic use only. She can work in the country, used for cutting branches or preparing firewood for the barbecue. Champion 137 is suitable for outdoor enthusiasts as it is the lightest saw in the Champion range of household chainsaws.
The manufacturer’s recommendations on the use of this chainsaw in our country are rarely followed, and therefore Champion 137 can be found on sawmills, where a slab is cut to it. Private offices that are engaged in the procurement and sale of firewood to the population also often use this chainsaw.
- user’s manual;
- warranty card;
- a set of a saw headset (bar and chain);
- combined candle wrench;
- a screwdriver to adjust the carburetor (not always);
- protective tire cover;
- fuel mixture canister.
According to the manufacturer’s information indicated on the official website, Champion 137 configurations available from sellers may differ from the official configuration.
Champion 137 User Manual
For those who have never dealt with chainsaws and do not know how to properly prepare the saw for work, tension the chain, start, instructions are supplied with each Champion 137 saw. After reading the recommendations, you can get basic knowledge that will allow you not to damage the tool, as well as protect yourself from injury.
The official instruction manual for the chainsaw can be downloaded in our catalog.
Champion 137 can be repaired either in a service center or on your own. Typical malfunctions of this model are as follows:
- lack of spark;
- fuel cut-off;
- carburetor malfunctions (blockages, injector valve defects, defects in the main chamber and fuel pump membranes);
- air leaks into the crankcase through a gasket or oil seals;
- depressurization of the carburetor.
If you have some experience, you can diagnose and fix faults yourself.
If the chainsaw for some reason does not hold or picks up speed at idle, this is the first sign of air leaks into the crankcase or carburetor. It is impossible to work with a saw with such a malfunction, since then overheating and jamming of the engine will follow.
Depending on the design features of the tool, the tensioning mechanism of the headset may differ.
In budget models of chainsaws, a classic straight-threaded bolt is used to adjust the chain, which is located on the side of the body.
In this version, the package includes a special tightening wrench or there is an external slot for a slotted screwdriver.
All professional models are equipped with more convenient adjustment mechanisms. With the help of them, the chain can be pulled with one movement of the lever or by turning a special disc. Their design consists of a built-in tensioner, locking when turning is achieved by means of a lock nut. In some models, the adjustment is carried out by locking the tire in a certain position of the tool cover. Regardless of the method, the circuit voltage needs to be corrected only in a cold state. Hot chain tension causes sagging as it cools.
If pulling doesn’t work
With the correct installation of the chain, there should be no sagging; when pulled, the teeth come out of the grooves no more than 4-6 mm. After work, roll it along the tire in the direction of rotation, the stroke should be smooth and light. If the tension correction does not help, the cause of the under tension may be due to the following factors:
- incompatibility of the chain model (tooth pitch, length, size) and the saw headset of your chainsaw model;
- failure of the guide sprockets;
- breakage of the tensioner, adjusting screw;
- lack of lubrication (the problem is solved by additional use of oil);
- mechanical damage to the lower part of the teeth, grooves in the headset.
Figure 4. Excessive stretching
If you cannot achieve sufficient chain tension, the tool must never be used. It is necessary to check the compatibility of all components, if possible, contact the service center to eliminate the breakdown. Using a chainsaw without a high-quality setting can lead to dangerous consequences.
How to properly adjust the chain?
You can install the chain and adjust its voltage with your own hands, without contacting a service center, regardless of the class of the chainsaw, its age. Before starting work, each link should be completely checked, since the slack can also be associated with wear on the teeth or sprockets. Step-by-step algorithm for the correct tension of Stihl 180, Husqvarna, Champion, Partner and other models:
- position the instrument on the table so that its headset is on top. Unscrew the threaded fasteners of the protective cover, dismantle the tire and thoroughly clean each element (it is convenient to use a vacuum cleaner or a compressed air cylinder);
- determine the correct position of the chain. The teeth should be on top, going in the opposite direction from the body;
- put it directly on the tire. Secure the bolt mechanism, make sure there is sufficient free play.
Before looking for an answer to the question of how to pull the chain on a chainsaw, you should study what methods exist. There are two widespread methods of tension. fast and frontal. The first method involves the use of a tightening bolt. It must be tightened clockwise, at the end, be sure to check the wing nut and lower the handle.
Figure 3. A quick way to stretch
The frontal method is more complex, the main steps are:
- unscrew the nuts with which the tire is fixed to the chainsaw. Loosen and slightly pull up on the edge of the headset;
- tighten the adjusting screw to the desired level, fix the tire back with the nuts;
- check the chain tension with your fingers, if necessary, tighten the nut.
Regardless of the characteristics of the tensioner, excessive tension of the chain must not be allowed. this is no less dangerous than loosening it. After installing and adjusting the saw unit, it is recommended to run the tool at idle speed. Carefully check the smooth movement of the chain, the presence of sagging and extraneous whistling sounds.
Important! When buying, you should specify the type of chain tension in a specific tool model. Check for the presence of a key to tighten the headset, it should always be included in the package.
How to check the correct tension?
To ventilate the quality of tension, you should gently pull it back in the middle of the tire.
The permissible level of exit of the tails of the cutting links should be no more than 2/3 of their length.
You can also determine the need for a tightening by the following criteria:
- the appearance of a creak and rattle in the area of \ u200b \ u200bthe main driving sprocket;
- loosening the tightening of the protective mechanism, tire fasteners;
- jamming when sawing, increased vibration and noise.
Chainsaw decreases productivity and increases operating time. Even when sawing soft wood, the chain starts to get stuck in the groove, the speed and smoothness of the movement are reduced.
Step-by-step instructions: how to properly tension the chain on a chainsaw?
Regardless of the class of the chainsaw, the chain is weakened under the influence of intense regular loads. This can be determined by the appearance of characteristic gaps in the joints of the links, a change in the sound of work and an increase in vibration. You can tighten the tension of the saw headset yourself using a special mechanism. This avoids serious damage and injury while working with wood.
- Why chain tension is necessary?
- How to check the correct tension?
- Tensioner mechanisms
- How to properly adjust the chain?
- If pulling doesn’t work
- Possible risks in case of uneven tension
Why chain tension is necessary?
The chain performs two functions at once. it directly cuts the wood and fixes the tire, preventing its arbitrary movement. The correct position and tension of the chainsaw chain allows you to fully operate the tool and avoid dangerous injuries during operation. If the saw head is installed incorrectly, it will easily fall off during sawing, injuring the operator. Even with a slight weakening, it gradually breaks the tire groove, which leads to the failure of the teeth of the driven sprocket.
In this case, excessive stress leads to an increase in the load on the rotor, a reduction in the saw’s service life. Therefore, it is important to regularly check the tension, if necessary, tighten the special mechanism on the tool body.
Possible risks in case of uneven tension
Any changes to the saw head (sagging, broken teeth, overexertion) can lead to problems during operation. Risks of sagging tool operation:
- decrease in productivity when sawing, felling wood;
- the chain gets stuck in the groove, flies off the tire during starting;
- breakage of the headset, damage to the guide sprockets;
- high load on the rotor, reduced tool life;
- getting serious injuries while working.
Before starting work, it is important to qualitatively check all moving mechanisms, the tightening of the adjusting bolt. Use a special oil for lubricating the teeth, saw headset. Adjusting the chain and cutting directly must be carried out in protective clothing, gloves and goggles must be worn to avoid injury.
The chainsaw headset is an important building block for productivity and quality. Before starting operation, check the tension, make sure it is correctly installed. The tension is adjusted using a special bolt or lever on the body. Sagging or excessive tension can lead to serious consequences. saw breakage, injury when cutting wood.
How to remove a rivet
To change the elements of the chain or shorten it, you will need to separate the links as follows. Fix the chain element in a vise and grind off the rivets, namely their protruding parts. For this, you can use a file or file. Be careful not to grind the side of the link.
It is not recommended to use an angle grinder, since there is a risk of overheating the links, which will lead to a change in the physical properties of the metal.
Using a beard (as it looks like, shown in the photo below), knock out a rivet.
There is another option for separating the links. To do this, you do not need to grind the heads of the rivets. Place the link, namely its rivet, over a hole in the metal or over the slightly parted jaws of the vise. Next, you should put a locksmith barb on the rivet head and hit it several times with a hammer.
Continue knocking out both rivets alternately as they are firmly secured by the opposite side of the link. Gradually, the rivets will begin to come out of the top of the link, and it will come loose.
The advantage of this method is that the rivets can be reused as they do not grind.
Before tensioning the chain on the chainsaw, you must turn off the engine of the unit, or disconnect it from the mains if it is an electric saw. Do not adjust or replace the saw blade while it is hot. If this is done, the metal will shrink after cooling and the tension will be too great, which can lead to increased stress on the engine and deformation of the tire.
Champion 18-inch 40cc Portable Gas Chainsaw with Blade Sheath (Overview 100283)
The chain tensioner is located on the right side of the machine, under the cover, in the place where the clutch brake is installed and the bar mount is located. On Husqwarna, Stihl, Poulan and Partner chainsaws, the external tensioner looks like an ordinary bolt.
So, in order to adjust the chain element of the apparatus, you need to perform the following steps.
- Loosen the nuts on the right side cover slightly so that the tire is not skewed.
- Insert a screwdriver into the tensioner adjusting bolt and turn it to the right (clockwise). From these actions, the tire will begin to move, and the chain will be tensioned. If you rotate the bolt to the left (counterclockwise), the chain links will relax.
- Next, you should tighten the chain to a state so that it does not sag and dangle.
- Check the tension of the element: grasp the cutter link approximately in the center of the bar and pull it down with a slight force. The chain should be taut, have elasticity, and the shank of the cutting link should fit into the groove of the bar by about 1/3 of its height.
On a Makita electric saw, the tension adjuster is designed in such a way that it can be turned without the use of any tools. Turning it clockwise will tighten the chain, if you turn the adjuster in the opposite direction, the tension of the chain element will loosen.
Rules for replacing and tightening chains on a chainsaw
The chain tension on the chainsaw affects not only the normal operation of the machine, but also the safety of the operator working with it. A chainsaw is a highly traumatic tool, and a loose saw chain can have dire consequences. In turn, an over-tensioned chain increases the load on the tool. Therefore, before each start-up of the machine, you must make sure that this important element has the correct tension.
The main problems with the chainsaw chain
Chainsaw users are often faced with the problem of saw chain tension. It either weakens spontaneously, or stretches and flies. As a rule, these troubles are caused by unit breakdowns. Therefore, before proceeding with the chain link tensioning procedure, you should check and eliminate possible causes that may lead to incorrect adjustment.
The reasons for the stretching of the chain on the chainsaw may be heavy loads or insufficient lubricant supply to the tire. This causes the saw to overheat, the metal expands, the saw element becomes larger and falls off the bar. Oil flow can be disrupted if the pump breaks down, clogged channels, breaks in the oil hose.
If you changed the chain on the chainsaw to a new one, then be prepared for the fact that during the running-in period it will stretch a little. It is only necessary to check the tension in time so that the element does not fly off the tire.
A chain made of low-quality steel also stretches quickly.
When the driven or drive sprocket is worn, the effectiveness of the adhesion to the chain links decreases, as a result of which the saw element flies. In this case, you will have to unscrew the chain drive and change the sprocket. Also, the saw blade of the unit can fly off due to its stretching or deformation of the tire.
If the chain on your chainsaw weakens, then a malfunctioning tensioning mechanism can cause this malfunction.
Replacing the saw element of the chainsaw
If you need to replace the chain on the chainsaw, then follow these steps.
- Remove the cover covering the sprocket. To do this, most often it is necessary to unscrew the fastening nuts.
- Having unscrewed the fasteners, remove the cover that covers the clutch with an asterisk.
- Grasp the bar with your hand and push it towards the sprocket to loosen the chain.
- Remove the chain element from the drive sprocket.
- Now you need to install the chain on the chainsaw. Take a new saw blade and slide it onto the drive sprocket first.
- Then you need to put the chain on the bus, placing the element in its groove around the entire perimeter. It is important that the links fit properly onto the driven sprocket on top of the tire. Pay attention to the direction of the cutting links when installing. They should be directed away from the unit, on the top of the tire.
- Run the bar in the opposite direction to the engine to tighten the chain a little.
- After installing the saw element, before putting the cover back in place, it is necessary to align the screw, through which the tension is adjusted, with the adjuster located behind the bar. Only then can you put on the cover and tighten the nuts slightly. Next, insert a screwdriver into the adjusting screw and apply the final tension. How the correct chain tension is made was described above.
- Raise the tire slightly and tighten the nuts, thus securing it. It is important not to overdo it and not to rip the thread.
Is it possible to shorten the chain yourself
In the case when the chainsaw chain has stretched so much that it is no longer tensioned, it becomes necessary to reduce its length.
This also has to be done if the available bar is shorter than the chain, and it is not possible to choose a suitable sawing element.
How to determine the degree of tension
A quick check of the chain tension is very simple: you need to grasp the prong and pull it up. If the chain is tensioned correctly, then the tail will be immersed in the groove of the bar by 1/3 of its height. An excess of this indicator indicates excessive tension, and a decrease in the indicator indicates weak.
Normally, the saw should move freely along the tire, without much effort. If the movement of the element is difficult, this is a sign of excessive tension.
With a strong tension on the cutting element of the chainsaw, the tire begins to heat up and grind, the load on the engine increases, and it quickly wears out. Do not start up the machine with a loose chain, as it can be pinched and cut off when sawing, which poses a danger to the user of the machine. The chain can fly off the tire and injure limbs, and it often breaks itself and damages the tire. Also, working with a weakened chain element leads to one-sided tire wear, after which the device stops making even cuts, and the saw is taken to the side.
How to connect links
Do not be afraid to rivet, as the rivet has a thickening in the central part, which serves as a limiter.
Some craftsmen advise joining the links by welding. This method will work if the rivets have been filed off. But first you need to experiment on some piece of iron in order to choose the appropriate welding mode.
Welding must be carried out with a short and thin electrode. The rivet is welded to the side of the link and the excess metal is removed with a file. The only drawback of this method is overheating of the metal from which the circuit elements are made. As mentioned above, due to overheating, the wear resistance of the links may decrease.
Chainsaw device features
The main part of a gasoline saw is the engine. In most modern devices, the engine is single-cylinder. Air cooling, two-stroke piston system. Oil in these types of engines is added directly to gasoline, and all due to the fact that the fuel is constantly flushing the crankcase. The oil-to-gasoline ratio varies from 1:20 to 1:50 depending on the manufacturer of the chainsaw.
The air filter on gasoline saws plays an equally important role. It needs regular cleaning. If the filter is heavily contaminated, dust from it will fall directly into the piston system, which will lead to engine damage.
If the filter is clogged, the saw loses speed and the engine starts to overheat, which can lead to burning of the piston rings.
The starter on gasoline saws is a rope with a handle that you pull on to activate the motor. When you pull on the rope, the teeth catch the ratchet, the flywheel starts to spin.
Many people complain that they have to pull the rope for a long time to ignite the engine. It depends on whether the carburetor is correctly aligned. If the carburetor produces the correct oil-gasoline mixture, then there should be no problems.
The main working mechanism is a tire with a chain.
The chain consists of three types of teeth: leading, cutting and connecting. They are riveted together. Cutting teeth are located on two sides: right and left.
Chains are divided into two types: high profile and low profile. The first type includes chains, in which the teeth are located with a large gap, the second. with a smaller gap. Chains can also vary in shank thickness and link length. The chainsaw chain is attached to a bar that guides it in the correct direction. The end of the tire has a specific groove that holds the links and allows the chain to rotate. A driven sprocket is located at the front of the tire. The chain together with the bar is called a headset, since they are detachable parts of the chainsaw.
The gasoline saw has an automatic chain lubrication system. The tire supplies oil, which is then absorbed by the sawdust. If the saw is idling, the oil supply stops.
How to tension: installing the chainsaw cutting element
We have analyzed the main reasons for the sagging chain. How to install a chain on a chainsaw is described in the paragraph above. Now you need to correctly tighten the chain, and check if it will overtighten.
There are two ways to stretch the chain: fast and frontal. It is best to stretch in the frontal way.
If you carry out a frontal tension, then you need to unscrew the nuts that hold the tire and lift it over the edge. With a special bolt on the right, you need to tighten the chain until an acceptable tension is obtained, and then raise the tire even higher and clamp it.
If using the quick tightening method, first lift the wing nut handle and loosen it. Then tighten the chain tensioning screw clockwise as far as it will go. Then retighten the wing nut and lower the handle.
To check the chain tension, the saw brake must be disengaged. Then manually run the chain along the bus, if it runs smoothly and does not sag, then everything is fine. If the chain walks very tightly, then it needs to be slightly loosened, because there is a risk of rupture during work.
Why the chain flies, we find out the reasons
If you wondered why the chain on your chainsaw flies, then there is some kind of malfunction in the mechanism. There are three main reasons for this problem: bar malfunction, chain stretch, and loose sprocket. Let’s take a closer look at each of the possible causes of breakdown.
Poor drive sprocket
One possible chain slack on your device is a drive sprocket issue. Most often, everything happens due to the fact that the star is poorly fixed. Now we will tell you how to properly fasten the star and then put the chain on the chainsaw.
First you need to remove the engine protection cover. Next, remove the protective cover of the spark plug, pull out the air filter. Then you need to unscrew the candle with a special key. A special stopper is placed in its place, which fixes the piston in a certain position. With a special wrench (you can use a universal wrench for an angle grinder), turn the clutch disc clockwise until the piston reaches the uppermost position. If you look into the hole of the plug, the piston should remain at the bottom. A thick rope can be used as a stopper; it is better to fold it several times. Once locked, you can clamp the drive sprocket by rotating the clutch disc counterclockwise.
After clamping, you need to do everything in the reverse order, that is, assemble the chainsaw. A chain is put on the tire, it must hit the drive sprocket that holds it. The tire is placed in special mounting holes and bolted. Then protection is put.
When problems arise with the tire, the chain tension is almost always loosened. Usually this problem occurs at the place where the tire is attached.
This place is located in the groove between the outer plate, which is located on the chain guard and the inner plate, which is located on the motor housing. The casing together with the tire is fixed with a bolt. This mount is called “engine unit”. Drive sprocket and tire mount protected by special covers.
If the fixing bolts are loosened, the tire starts to move or vibrate. If the tire is good, then the chain tension should be normal. After stretching, she will walk for at least five working days without suspenders. Therefore, you need to carefully tighten the bolts that hold the tire.
To understand how to tighten the chain on a chainsaw, you first need to find and release the chain brake. The tensioning screw is next to the bar and is turned until the chain is pulled over the bar. Then pull the chain in a clockwise direction. If it does not move, then loosen it slightly by turning the tension screw in the opposite direction.