The first way to wind the line
The required amount of line has been cut off. Now you need to carefully examine the bobbin in order to understand what type it belongs to. It depends on how the line is to be wound on it.
There are two types of bobbins. In general, they differ slightly from each other. Regardless of the type, the coil is divided into two compartments. Top and bottom. In the first type, the dividing face does not close into a ring and has a depression.
In the second type, it is solid, but near it there are small through holes on the sides on both sides. The method of winding the thread should be studied depending on which of the above types the coil belongs to.
- The previously prepared six-meter segment must be bent in half. Best of all is inaccurate in the middle, and in such a way that one half is longer by about fifteen centimeters.
- Then the place of the fold must be inserted into the recess in the dividing face. One half of the line should be at the top of the reel, the other half. In the lower part.
- Now you can start winding directly. You need to wind in the direction in which the arrow points to the bobbin. When winding, you need to keep the threads so that they are NOT intertwined and the upper half is wound into the upper part of the spool, and the lower half. To the bottom. Each half should have about fifteen centimeters free from the end.
- There are small indentations (or, in other words, grooves) in the upper edge of the bobbin for securing consumables. The ends of the threads must be inserted into these recesses so that they are fixed one opposite the other.
- The final stage of filling consumables into the tool. The ends attached to the bobbin must be threaded into the corresponding holes in the trimmer head.
- That’s all. The winding process is complete. Now all that remains is to assemble the head into a single whole. The spring fits neatly back between the bobbin and the head. Then you need to insert the bobbin into the head and press them together.
- It is recommended that the free ends of the thread be pulled out more. To do this, pull the ends of the consumables one by one to remove them from the grooves in the bobbin. You can make sure that the cutting element is removed from the retaining grooves by trying to pull the threads a little. They must exit freely through the holes in the head.
- Presses the bobbin down, you need to put the cover over it. The cover must be screwed to the head so that all the grooves on their bodies are aligned and the bobbin remains fixed between them.
- And finally, the very last action. The head is screwed back into place at the bottom of the tool.
The process is complete. Line tucked into a reel. The trimmer is ready for further work.
Which line to choose
In addition to how to stock up on this material for refueling in the trimmer, you need to decide on the choice. After all, the usual so-called round fishing line. This is far from the only existing species. How to choose the most suitable one? First you need to determine the working conditions.
Selection by type. Round line is the most common. It will fit any coil with the rarest exceptions. This type of consumable is suitable for cutting fresh, juicy grass. But with the mowing of the so-called dead wood, this type may no longer cope. In an attempt to mow bushes with this thread, it makes no sense to mention.
In addition to the usual type, there are others that have sharp edges. They are usually done asterisk or square. The presence of sharp edges is the main feature and key difference of these threads.
It is thanks to this feature that such species are able to whine dry weeds. But sharp-edged whine are NOT devoid of drawbacks, the main of which can be called rapid wear and strength, noticeably inferior to the round type.
In addition to the already mentioned types of woods, there are also interesting and common varieties. Especially among them can be noted fishing lines, inside which a metal wire is stretched. This type of thread is often used in gasoline-powered tools with an engine over 1.5 horsepower.
Metal-cored threads come in both round sections and sharp edges. Regardless of the type of section, such whining are the best suited for overcoming difficult-to-cut plants. Threads of this type can easily mow Not only dry grass, but even small bushes.
The wires with a wire inside compare favorably with other types of consumables for their incredible wear resistance. Unfortunately, this feature has a more than noticeable impact on the price of this type. The cost of yarns with a core is much higher than the cost of yarns of the second types.
How to wind line on a trimmer spool: winding methods and
Any garden owner knows how quickly weeds can fill an area. Get a victory over them without undue effort will help the trimmer. This is an incredibly useful device. An indispensable assistant in trimming and mowing grass.
It is no secret that an ordinary lawn mower cannot be used everywhere. In contrast, the trimmer can handle even very difficult areas. This is especially true of those tools in which NOT a knife, but a fishing line acts as a cutting element.
- Features of the use of trimmers
- Which line to choose
- Selection by thickness
Selection by thickness
In addition, you should pay special attention to the thickness of the consumables. For mowing young grass, a thread with a diameter of one and a half millimeters is suitable. The larger the diameter of the thread, the drier and coarser weeds it is capable of overpowering.
When choosing a fishing line by thickness, there is one but. It is important not only to assess the capabilities of the material, but also to take into account the features of the trimmer. Be sure to check the user manual that came with your tool for information on cutting element requirements.
The use of improper whining may result in damage to the instrument. Using a thread that is too thick will overload the device motor. And the use of a thread that is too thin will significantly increase the wear of the twisting mechanism.
That is why the choice of consumables must be approached no less responsibly than filling it into the trimmer. When a suitable fishing line is found and purchases, you can begin to consider ways of winding it on a reel.
How to wind the line onto the trimmer spool
At first glance, threading a line into the reel of a tool is not easy. But it is enough to study this process carefully. And in the future, all the necessary actions will be performed without any difficulties.
It is worth reading this guide to find out how to tuck the line into the trimmer. The step-by-step instructions given below take into account the peculiarities of the coils of different types of trimmers, therefore, it is applicable to any tool.
So, the procedure is as follows.
- The line spool is the bottom end of the trimmer. First of all, of course, you need to remove this head from the device. To do this, you need to fix the rod (or, in other words, the shaft) on which the coil is attached. It is required to fix it in such a way that it does not scroll. The easiest way to do this is by placing a kind of stupor (preferably metal) between the shaft threads through a special hole. When the shaft is fixed, the spool can be unscrewed.
- At this stage, you have to remove the bobbin from the head, on which the fishing line is attached. To do this, you need to disassemble the head into elements. To do this, you must first find a retainer on its body. It is located on the circumference of the product and is like a button. When the latch is found, you need to press it firmly. Keeping the latch pressed, you must return the head cover clockwise. Then you need to remove the cover and remove the bobbin.
- A tight spring is placed between the bobbin and the head. It needs to be put aside for a while so that it does not interfere with the winding process. Before proceeding with the step of winding the line, it is necessary to inspect the bobbin. If there are remnants of old fishing line on it, they must be removed. When the bobbin is cleaned, you can start preparing a new bobbin.
- Here is a previously prepared skein of new fishing line must be measured and cut off six (maximum. Seven) meters. Keep the bobbin close at hand.
At this point, the key stage actually begins, which this article is devoted to.
Features of the use of trimmers
A trimmer that mows grass with a fishing line can be used near: houses and other buildings, fences and hedges, trees and shrubs, flower beds and flower beds, row spacing in a garden plot.
Such a convenient, and most importantly, effective device like a trimmer exists in several variations:
As it is clear from the name, the trimmer types differ markedly from each other. But regardless of the type of this tool, its cutting element may be a fishing line. Of course, the line tucked into the trimmer reel is NOT infinite. And sooner or later you will need to replace it with a new one.
Line consumption directly depends on the frequency of use of the device and the scale of the work performed. The more grass is cut and the more often it is trimmed with the trimmer, the more active the line is used in it. And, accordingly, the faster it will end. In this regard, the question arises: how to thread the line into the trimmer spool?
Not everyone knows the answer to this question. But the winding of the line on the reel plays an important role in the trimmer operation. For the device to function properly, it is very important to properly wind the new line onto the reel. How to change the line for a trimmer, and will be discussed in this article.
How to wind the line onto the trimmer spool
05 July 2018
Trimmer. An excellent solution for those who have a large garden or lawn near the house, which needs to be constantly pruned. But like any other tool, sometimes it requires intervention. After some time, it will become necessary to replace certain elements, and this will have to be learned.
How can this be done? To replace the main cutter, you must first select it correctly. In principle, the lawn mower instruction manual should indicate the diameter of the thread to be used in it.
When you have acquired the required cutting element, try to install it correctly. It should be noted that there is a huge amount on the Internet that will help you figure out how to properly thread the line into the trimmer coil.
How to change line to trimmer
Below we have provided Step-by-step instructions for replacing a whine trimmer.
The first thing to do is unplug the tool and turn off the engine. Then you need to remove the trimmer head. This can be done by using a simple screwdriver, lowered it into the hole of the gearbox to prevent the shaft from turning. And then just Unscrew
They are usually unscrewed in a clockwise direction, but different models have different mechanisms, so it may be necessary to twist in the opposite direction. But if suddenly, for some reason, you cannot figure it out, then we strongly recommend that you refer to the user manual to understand how to disconnect it
Second. After removing the mowing head, open it. This can be done by means of clamps, which are located opposite each other. Pressing on them, you can remove the head cover, and then pull out the spool on which the fishing line is wound. By pulling it out, you can determine what type it belongs to. There are bobbins one-piece and two-piece
We analyze how to thread the line into the trimmer spool in two versions
So, option one. Load the line into a one-piece reel. The prepared piece of thread is folded in half and pushed into the spool. Then, we begin to wind both ends in the same direction, which will be indicated by the arrow on the spool. At the end of the winding, do not forget to check that the different ends of the thread are looking in different directions.
Option two. Line winding two-piece reel. The pre-prepared thread is divided into two parts, and its ends, must be fixed: this must be done by placing them in special fasteners
Winding is performed as in the first case. In the direction of the arrow indicated on the spool. Both segments must be wound so that they do NOT overlap. Further, the ends of the thread must be fixed in the grooves and spread on opposite sides.
The spring is then inserted into the reel and the whole thing is placed in the mowing head. When placing the coil in the trimmer you need to gently hold the spring parallel to insert the line into the cut of the mower head. And in the end, it just needs to be secured with the final part, that is, with a lid.
After threading the trimmer, you need to check it. If you did everything correctly, everything will work, but if you make a mistake, we recommend that you read the article again, or even better, if you look at how to install the line on the reel in the trimmers.
How to remove the line from the trimmer spool
Over time, the cutting element of the head wears out, and it becomes necessary to pull out the remnants of the old line. But not everyone knows how to do it. Our step-by-step instructions plus how to pull the thread from the trimmer spool, which you can find online, will help in solving this issue.
The mowing head must be disassembled
Remove the cover using the clips
Cleaning up the remnants of cutting material
Complicated? Of course not. But if, nevertheless, doubts creep into you that for some reason you will NOT be able to do this, then of course find and see how to pull out or how to wind the thread onto the spool of the lawn mowers.
How to replace the line with an electric trimmer
In fact, it makes no difference which oblique you use, be it electric or gasoline. Threading is the same. The only difference is that if you use a gasoline scythe, you get more freedom, since it is NOT limited by the cable, which is present on the electric scythe
Yes, do not hesitate to use special rollers for setting or threading the line in an electric scythe, which can teach you much faster than simple reading.
How to insert line into the trimmer?
Threading the mowing wheel with trimmer thread. The lesson is NOT difficult, but novice gardeners will have to practice a little so that in the future they will be able to quickly insert the cord into the existing household trimmer.
There are several ways to refuel the trimmer cutter head. First method. The simplest, and well suited for beginner gardeners.
In this case, the cord is inserted into the spool in the following sequence:
- First, you need to rewind about 6 m of trimmer fishing line from a common spool, after which the resulting section is cut in half. As a result, you should get 2 whining, 3 m long each;
- Then, at one of the ends of the first segment, you will need to make a kind of hook, and insert it into one of the through holes located in the upper part of the spool;
- Next, you need to start winding the line on the spool in the direction indicated by the arrow. During winding, you need to make sure that the line lies evenly on the surface of the spool, and does not go beyond its upper section. It is not necessary to wind the segment to the end, about 15 cm of thread should remain in the hands;
- The remaining free end of the wound cord will need to be inserted into one of the recesses located at the top of the spool;
- Next, the same procedure will need to be done with the second piece of line. It will need to be wound around the lower section of the spool;
- As in the first case, it is not necessary to wind the line all the way to the bottom section. The remaining piece of thread will need to be inserted into the second groove of the bobbin.
After the performed operation, the coil will need to be installed on the trimmer and wound up. To check the reliability of the whine mounting, you will need to press the throttle lever all the way so that the engine reaches maximum speed. If the line does NOT fly out of the head, it means that the line is held securely and it will not fly out of the mowing reel during mowing.
How to wind the line on the trimmer spool?
The second method is a little more difficult to do it yourself.
You need to wind the trimmer cord in the following order:
- First you need to cut off about 6 m of the total cord, and bend it. In this case, one of the parts should be slightly larger than the second;
- Then the thread, where it was bent, will need to be inserted into the recess located on the dividing face between the two sections of the bobbin. As a result, the first part of the segment should be at the top, and the second. In the lower section of the spool;
- After that, you need to start winding the fishing line. This should be done in the direction of the arrow indicated on the spool body. The cord must NOT be intertwined during winding. The top of the cut should be neatly wrapped around the top and the bottom. To the lower bobbin section. After that, two 15-centimeter pieces of cord should remain free;
- Next, the remaining ends will need to be inserted into the recesses located at the top of the spool;
- Then the fixed ends must be pushed into the through holes of the trimmer cutter head.
In the end, you will need to connect all parts of the mowing head, and pull each end of the line towards you a little. The finished coil will need to be installed on the trimmer and continue to work on the site.
Which trimmer line is better?
When choosing a fishing line, you need to consider several of its parameters.
The list of the main characteristics of the cutting cord includes:
- Line thickness. On the market, whining are most common, the thickness of which is in the range of 1.2-4 mm. Thin cord, no more than 1.6 mm thick, is intended for trimmers whose power does NOT exceed 0.8 liters. C. Most often, this cord is used in cases where the farm has a low-power electric scythe with a fishing line and a knife. Cords up to 2 mm to 2.6 mm in diameter are used for trimmers from 1 to 1.8 liters. C. These lines are capable of successfully removing Not only freshly grown, but also fairly old dried vegetation. Thick lines, from 3 mm in diameter, are designed for use with lawn mowers with a capacity of at least 3 liters. C. Cord with this thickness shows itself well when mowing large and dense wild vegetation;
- Trimmer cord shape. A lot depends on this factor, since when mowing grass, the thread does NOT cut the stems, but repeatedly hits them. It is the form of whining that affects the speed of mowing the grass and the accuracy of the cutting line of its cut. Most often, you can find round lines on the market. This cord is suitable for cutting all types of vegetation. Slightly less common on the market is a square thread. It is best at removing large, hard stems and is often used for cutting wild bushes. There is also a star line on the market. It stands out for its low invasiveness for grass, so it is best used for the care of decorative natural lawns;
- Material. In most cases, manufacturers use nylon, polypropylene and polyamide to produce cutting cord. Cheaper trimmer cords are made of nylon with polyethylene additives, which significantly reduces the resistance to whine to wear and temperature.
Also, when choosing a cord, you need to take into account the type of equipment that will be used to work on the site. If the household uses electric trimmers with a fishing line and a knife, then it is best to equip them with thin round cords, which create a minimum load on the electric motor. If a powerful lawn mower is used to care for the site, then you can confidently use a thread with any thickness and section to work with it, including homemade fishing lines from a plastic bottle. The load on the gasoline engine, in THESE cases, will be almost imperceptible.
Which trimmer line is better?
The speed of electric and lawn mowers is largely influenced by the quality of the fishing line. How correctly it is wound on the mowing reel depends on the consumption of the cord itself, as well as the load that acts on the engine. In this regard, each gardener needs to carefully study the rules for choosing and self-installing fishing line on a reel. This will prevent premature breakage of the scythe and make its use in the garden more convenient and efficient.
How to thread the line into the trimmer spool?
The third method is suitable for refueling single-section mowing reels.
All actions should be performed in the following order:
- First of all, you need to disassemble the mowing head, after which you need to clean it of grass, small debris and remnants of old cord;
- Next, you need to cut off about 10 m of new fishing line from the total and bend it in half. As a result, one hand must hold both ends of the line and the place of its fold;
- After that, you need to find the notches in the spool. In a single-section mowing head, it is located at the top or bottom. An arrow should be located near the recess, which indicates in which direction to wind the cord;
- Then you need to start winding the fishing line. During installation, the line does not have to bend or overhang. Otherwise, it will constantly pop out of the reel;
- After winding the cord in the hands of the operator, there should be 2 ends, 10-15 cm long;
- These ends must be threaded through the through holes located in the side walls of the upper part of the coil, opposite each other;
- After that, you need to assemble the coil. At the same time, its spring must exactly fit between two metal washers.
The finished one-section coil will need to be installed on a utility trimmer, after which it will be possible to continue mowing vegetation on the site.
How to choose the right line?
For both electric and petrol powered trimmers, nylon lines are suitable. This consumable can be used for both hand tools and a wheeled lawnmower. It is important to choose the right line, as this directly affects both the result of the work and the service life of the unit. Of course, it is very easy to get confused in the offered assortment of lines, especially for beginners. However, there is a lot of advice from experts and those who have already tried various options.
For an electric trimmer less than 500 W, a thin line with a diameter of 1 to 1.6 mm is suitable. She will perfectly cut lawns with low grass. If the power of the tool is in the range from 0.5 to 1 kW, then it is better to give preference to a line with a diameter of 2 mm or slightly more.
For petrol trimmers and lawn mowers, line less than 3 mm must not be taken. This thickness will allow you to easily cope with any weeds, dry stems, dense grass. Diameter over 4 mm is only suitable for high power lawn mowers. It turns out that thick line is necessary for powerful technique. It is not recommended for use with low power trimmers, otherwise it will not work well, constantly winding around the reel and creating additional load on the engine.
Typically, a standard package contains up to 15 meters of line. However, to replace the string on a reel, a length of about 7 meters is sufficient. It also happens that the line is produced in bays of 250-500 meters. When choosing a string, it is imperative to specify the date when it was produced. Too old nylon can dry out and the floor is too brittle. If this happens, then you can soak the fishing line for a couple of hours in water, but it will not be completely the same.
When choosing, an important parameter is the section of the string, which can be of several types.
The round section is versatile. It is used for mowing grass of medium thickness and density. May make excessive noise during operation, but is NOT used too quickly.
A square or polygonal section is more efficient than a round one. Sharp corners cut plant stems faster and with better quality.
Ribbed, Vito and Star-shaped are the most effective. Such a fishing line manages to mow the grass very quickly. And its main drawback is its rapid wear.
The trimmer line is made of nylon, which is durable, lightweight, low cost and durable. To make the cost of the material even cheaper, polyethylene is added to it, but then the line overheats faster. Thick strings have a graphite or steel rod. Sometimes they are reinforced, which increases strength and service life.
Version with two grooves
The line is first folded in half to determine where the middle of the fold is.
Next, the loop formed on the bend is threaded into the groove, which is formed between two grooves.
After that, you can wind both bars of the line in a separate groove.
You can fix the mustache and assemble the coil completely in the same way as described above.
Opening a reel for the first time and winding a new line is not always easy. Over time, this procedure becomes almost automatic and will NOT take much time. Some reels have an automatic system that spins the line by itself. In total, it remains only to correctly set the end of the line, and everything is ready. In such models, the string must be put in the hole that is on the outside of the body. Next, the bobbin is assembled, and when the winding rotates, the fishing line is put on it.
In trimmers, the element on which the string is pulled is very simple. It bears the name coil. Usually it consists of an upper and a lower part (grooves), between which the partition passes from the recess. It is on these grooves that the fishing line should be wound. However, before it is pulled through the recess.
Before pulling out the coil, Unscrew the special button located directly on the mower body. Remove the reel from the mower before changing the line.
It is not difficult to do this, but there are some peculiarities depending on the trimmer configuration and the coil itself.
In small electronic mowers, the motor and reel are at the bottom, and buttons are located on the sides of the reel. If you press them, then you get the upper groove of the reel and the part where you need to wind the fishing line.
In a mower with a curved bar, which does not have a knife, the spools have special two-horned nuts. In such tools, it is necessary to hold the bobbin so that it does not move, and at the same time it does not turn the nut clockwise. It is she who holds the entire bobbins, which is then easy to remove.
Straight boom mowers that can be fitted with a knife have a hole just below the reel. To remove the coil, a screwdriver is inserted into this hole, while the bobbin is fixed. After that, the coil must be turned clockwise and removed from the unit.
Sometimes there may be latches on the coil. They must be pressed to Disconnect the coil parts. It is also possible that the top and bottom of the bobbin are connected by a thread. In this case, it is enough to grasp the top and bottom with your hands, and then twist in different directions until they do not unscrew.
Lawnmower fishing line: how to choose and wind?
- How to choose the right line?
- Mower device
- How to reel?
- Safety engineering
With the arrival of spring, summer cottages are becoming the main residence of many of our compatriots. However, with the arrival of warm days, there is such a problem as fast-growing grass. It is inconvenient to constantly mow it with a hand scythe, and not all types of grass lend themselves to this old working tool. It is much more convenient to use modern lawn mowers for THESE purposes. Particularly popular among them are devices with a line, which is easy to change if necessary.
In the model with one groove
The line must be pulled through the hole, and its mustache must be folded together and aligned.
Then winding is performed in the opposite direction to the rotation of the bobbin on the mower. Often there is an arrow inside the spool indicating how to put on the line correctly.
The ends of the string are fixed in special grooves or simply temporarily held by hands and pulled into the hole located on the outside of the bobbin.
After that, the spool is closed and attached to the rod, after which the mower is ready to work.
How to reel?
Knowing how the reel is disassembled can speed up the line change process. It all depends on what design the coil has and how many antennae. Threading into a spool with only one working mustache is quite easy, especially if you stick to a consistent plan.
Depending on the parameters of the reel and the length of the line set initially, it is recommended to choose a string from 2 to 5 meters.
First you need to remove the bobbin from the tool, and then open it.
One of the ends of the line must be installed in the hole inside the spool.
Next, the string should be screwed onto the drum. And this is done in the opposite direction from the normal rotation of the spool. Usually there is an arrow on the trimmer on the inside of the bobbin, which shows in which direction to wind.
Part of the line must be pulled out and fixed in a special groove located on the inside of the reel. Its purpose. Hold winding while bringing the bobbin into working condition.
The end of the string must be passed through the hole on the outside of the bobbin.
At the last stage, you need to collect the parts of the bobbin and put it on the mower bar.
Installing the fishing line on a reel with two mustaches occurs in a somewhat second way. First, you need to determine how many grooves go along the inside of the reel on which the line is put. There are options with one groove, and then both mustaches must be wound together. There are also models with two grooves, when each of the mustache goes separately.