Stihl garden machinery has long been established in the agricultural market. The electric trimmers of this company are distinguished by quality, reliability, stable operation even at high load. The Stihl electric range is easy to operate and easy to maintain. This gives a great opportunity to use the technique, even for a beginner.
The range of mowers of the company is diverse. The company is constantly improving the efficiency of its products. Consider the main features of the popular options for mowers presented by the company.
Cordless Lawn Mower
Ideal for someone who does not want to breathe gasoline exhausts, and also depend on electricity. The unit consists of a durable polymer housing and a compact grass catcher. Grass catcher capacity varies by model.
Such devices are noiseless, reliable and safe to use.
Electric braid option
The self-propelled form of these units can be used anywhere, but only next to the power supply. Silent, they are often used near schools, kindergartens, as well as hospitals and clinics. They are quite actively used in private areas.
The models are easy to operate, have a low noise level, high reliability, as well as an affordable price.
Popular models of electric braid
One of the popular options is electric spray Stihl FSE-81. This is one of the most powerful lawn trimmers. This device includes AutoCut C5-2 headset mower, designed to work in small areas. It is convenient to mow it near flower beds, borders. She well cleans the area near shrubs and trees, and also carefully processes the paths.
This braid has a number of advantages, which are that it regulates the speed electronically. The design allows you to save trees from damage. The circular handle allows you to perform quality work, maneuver, and mow in tight spaces. It is easy to transport.
There are other options that have proven themselves in work in horticultural areas.
Mowing grass up to 36 cm. Speed up to 7400 rpm. Power is 540 watts. The case is plastic. Telescopic handle. An inexpensive but practical tool.
Easy and cheap unit. Ideal for processing a small area. They are better off picking, mowing grass after a lawn mower.
The mechanism is articulated, so that the device tilts in different directions. The torch reel can be placed perpendicular to the ground. There are no ventilation slots, which protects the device from water ingress, so the grass can be mowed in the early morning (when dew) or immediately after rain.
Battery Trimmer Options
Cordless braids are easy to use, they actively help to clear the area near the house from grass. Such devices contain batteries with an indicator for charging. It is easy to adjust the bar and the handle.
Advantages of cordless trimmers:
- without noise, as well as wires, you can look after the lawns;
- ideal for amateur use;
- It is light in weight and holds balance well.
The equipment comes in a series, and it includes the following.
- Height adjustable bar. It can be adjusted at any time. Ideal for those conditions when several people use the unit, and everyone can adapt it for themselves.
- The handle has a circle shape and is easy to adjust. She has six positions.
- The mowing unit is adjustable. This can be done in four positions.
- The edge can be cut vertically. In this case, the angle can be changed up to 90 degrees.
The most famous options for braids on batteries are listed below.
The length of the device is 154 cm. Current is 5.5 A. The lightest of the remaining mowers. This tool can be used on large spaces.
The length is 165 cm. Current is 8 A. Ideal for mowing in a small area.
A convenient device for mowing a lawn, flowerbed, fence, etc. The engine runs quietly enough, there are no exhaust gases.
For harsh grass and large areas. There are two handles on the handle. The bevel in diameter is 26 cm. Low noise, which favorably affects efficient operation. There are two blades on the cutting blade.
Mechanical problems are caused by damage to the trimmer head. This component is most often subjected to wear, and also this element often comes in contact with the environment. There are several options for damage, which is mechanical in nature.
We fill the line in the electric scythe
Consider how to fill a fishing line into a reel yourself. First you need to remove the coil and the protective cover from it. Choose a fishing line, cut the right amount.
We begin to reel on the reel: for this, we fix one end of the fishing line into the gap, carefully wind the fishing line. The fishing line must be wound so that the protective cover is quietly closed, the fishing line can be unwound on its own. The second end is inserted into the hole of the protective casing. Take the coil and the cover. We draw the end of the fishing line into the hole in the lid and pull the fishing line a little.
Video: How To Put A Blade On A Huter Trimmer
We put this design on the trimmer. Rotate the coil clockwise until a specific click. We fix it. We connect the braid to the network. The trimmer should be in the starting position. Turn it on. Extra centimeters of fishing line will be cut off by the cutting blade.
When cutting, the line should not come into contact with solid objects, because they tear the line. If the line feed in the machine is not automatic, then the driver will have to stop frequently, remove the reel and rewind the line.
It should be noted that there are options for fishing line, which is adapted for coarse weeds. It looks like a pigtail, it has its own specific coil.
Stihl electrocosm review see in the next video.
The trimmer, whether it is gasoline or electric, is the only right solution for mowing grass in hard-to-reach places that cannot be handled by a wheeled lawnmower. As a cutting tool in trimmers, metal knives or a special fishing line are used, which is tucked into the trimmer coil. But, unfortunately, the trimmer heads during operation over time become unusable. Some malfunctions can be fixed with your own hands, while some will require a complete replacement of the mowing head.
Trimmer Coil Device
Mowing heads for trimmers come in many designs. both simple and complex. The picture below shows semi-automatic trimmer head from the Husqvarna lawn mowers (Husqvarna) disassembled.
This type of head is present in the configuration of most lawn mowers and trimmers, such as Stihl (Stihl), Patriot (Patriot), Champion (Champion), Bosch (Bosch), Huter (Huter) and others. The mower head is quite simple. It consists of the following details:
- mowing head base;
- button for semi-automatic cord feeding;
- a bobbin (reel) into which the fishing line is refueled;
- eyes. through them the fishing line comes out;
- trimmer head cover;
- fishing line (cord).
There are also simpler trimmer heads shown in the following photo.
All these nozzles do not allow changing the length of the fishing line in semi-automatic mode (after pressing the button). In case of breakage of the cord, it is necessary to stop the mower and change it manually.
Basic coil faults
Trimmer users and lawn mowers are often faced with a problem associated with a semi-automatic mowing head. Coil malfunctions can be as follows:
- the fishing line does not automatically extend;
- the cord spontaneously exits the coil.
The fishing line does not automatically extend
If the line does not lengthen with a light touch of the trimmer coil button on the ground, the reasons for this may be as follows.
Option 1. a bite occurred, i.e. clamping cord between turns. This problem usually occurs if the user wound the fishing line on the reel unevenly, with the intersection of turns, or wound it with insufficient tension. In the latter case, when the mowing head rotates at high speeds under the influence of centrifugal force, the cord begins to tighten, as a result of which it is possible to twist the fishing line. To fix the problem, you will have to disassemble the coil on the trimmer and rewind the cord correctly, that is, in even turns with good tension.
Option 2. too short ends protrude from the head. The fishing line may not come out when it hits the ground, if its ends protruding from the head are of insufficient length (short). In this case, centrifugal force is not enough to stretch the line. Therefore, it is necessary to stop the unit (turn off the engine or disconnect the trimmer from the mains) and pull out the fishing line manually by first pressing the button.
Option 3. fishing line soldered inside the mower head. This causes the coil to stop and not spin when the button is pressed. Basically, this happens for several reasons: poor quality of the cord, overheating of the coil during continuous operation of the unit, impact of fishing line on solid objects.
- In the first case, the cord of third-party manufacturers can be made of low-quality and low-melting materials that do not withstand mechanical and thermal stress. Therefore, preference should be given to “branded” fishing lines.
- But, if you still purchased a fishing line of unknown quality, and it often gets soldered during operation, then you can follow the example of some users who, after refueling the cord into a coil, wet it either silicone grease (from spray can), or mineral oil. This procedure greatly reduces the likelihood of soldering between each other turns of fishing line.
- Also, the fishing line can be soldered if during mowing it hits a solid object (stone, fence, dry branch, etc.). As a result of this, it stretches a little and is pulled back into the head at high speed. The cord heats up due to friction, and its coils stick together. The only thing that can be done to eliminate this malfunction is to open the trimmer coil and rewind the fishing line.
Cord spontaneously lengthens
There are situations when the trimmer user notices very fast consumption of fishing line. However, he never hit a button on the ground to lengthen the fishing line. The reason that the fishing line spontaneously lengthens, cutting off a special knife on the casing of the device, can serve lack of spring in the mowing head. Often, novice users of mowers, trying to charge the fishing line into a reel, forget to install the clamping spring in the head, or even lose it when the lid is opened, and in the future, they do not even suspect its existence.
Also, the fishing line can be extended without the use of a button if the spring is loose. If the spring check confirms this fact, then several washers must be placed under it to strengthen its clamping properties.
How to remove the reel and replace the fishing line
Owners of trimmers, mostly novices, are confused, bordering on panic when it becomes necessary to change the cutting tool or fishing line in the reel. Very often, when trying to unscrew the mowing head, users simply render it unusable, not suspecting that it is unscrewing in the opposite direction. To avoid this, if you need to replace the tool, it is recommended that you read the step-by-step instructions below.
- Before putting the fishing line into the reel, turn off the engine of the lawn mowers or de-energize the trimmer to avoid injuries that might occur if the cutting tool rotates accidentally.
- Unscrew the nozzle attached to gear shaft. To do this, the shaft must be locked by aligning the holes on the washer and on the axis, and inserting a metal rod or screwdriver into them.
- Unscrew the nozzle. You should know that the thread on the shaft is left. Therefore, twist the trimmer coil to the right, that is, clockwise.
- Disassemble the mowing head. Most often, the head cover is attached on clips. To remove it, you will need to drown these clips into the housing, squeezing the edges of the lid. If your trimmer has a semi-automatic mowing head with a button on the bottom, disassembling the nozzle should be done carefully, since you can lose the spring, which sometimes flies out when the cover is removed.
- Cut the required amount of fishing line. Usually its length is 5 meters. Use a cord of the diameter specified in the tool manual. It is not recommended to exceed the maximum diameter of the fishing line, as this will lead to increased engine load and higher gas mileage.
- Find the middle of the cord segment, folding it in half. You will get a loop.
- Cut through the coils special grooves (there may be holes). Insert a loop from the fishing line into this groove.
- Wind the line onto the reel by turning it counterclockwise. You need to refuel the cord as evenly as possible, the turns should go without overlapping and with good tension. When the winding is finished, leave the free ends of the fishing line about 20 cm long and fix them in the grooves located on the sides of the reel.
- Assemble the mowing head. Before you finally assemble the nozzle, do not forget insert spring and washer (if available). Install the coil into the housing and thread the ends of the cord through holes or eyes.
- Put on the cover and fix it with the latches.
- Screw the nozzle back onto the gearbox shaft, also locking it with a screwdriver. Spin the trimmer coil to the left (against the clockwise arrow).
Is it possible to make a coil on a trimmer with your own hands
- Take a piece of plywood or textolite and draw a circle on it with a diameter of about 14 cm.
- Cut the disc with a jigsaw or hacksaw for metal.
- Drill a hole in the center of the disc that matches the diameter of the gearbox shaft. Do not forget to put a washer on it before installing the disk on the shaft.
- On the edges of the disk, you can screw small corners or make 1-2 holes on opposite sides. They will serve to refuel fishing lines in them.
- To fix the fishing line, several screws can be screwed into the plywood.
Such a homemade mowing nozzle is mounted on a shaft with a nut. Tighten or unscrew the nut without fixing the shaft will not work. To replace the cord, it will be enough to release the screws, insert a piece of fishing line of the required length and press it again.
Also, a mowing nozzle for attaching fishing line to it can be made from a metal sheet. How to do this, you can understand from the next video.
For different models, the method of attachment of nozzles may be different. But in general terms, the design is very similar. We give step-by-step instructions:
- Locate the hole in the gear cup (it is located either on top or on the side) and align it with the hole in the shaft hub.
- Pass a hex wrench or metal rod into the hole of the gearbox to prevent the shaft from turning.
- Hold the key with one hand and unscrew the reel with fishing line with the other (usually you need to turn it clockwise).
- Remove the coil.
Before removing the reel with fishing line on the trimmer, the tool must be disconnected from the mains. If you have a lawn mowing, be sure to turn off the engine.
How to remove a fishing line from a trimmer. video
For maximum visibility, we suggest that you familiarize yourself with the video instruction. As an example, Izhmash lawn mowing was taken.