How to remove the spool from the trimmer and remove the line
Initially, before threading the trimmer spool, you need to remove it from there. A reel or aiming device is a device that sits inside the mowing head, bobbin or drum. There are different types of heads (depending on the manufacturer), but the principle of replacing the line on the reel is the same for everyone. First of all, we will figure out how to remove the head from the tool, as well as how to get the drum and fishing line out of it.
The instruction on how to unscrew the manual head onto the trimmer is as follows:
- Turn the tool upside down and, if necessary, clean it from dirt. With two fingers of one hand, grip the cover latches (on the mowing head) that are symmetrically positioned to each other. After lightly pressing them inward, remove the protective cover from the drum
- Next, remove the line spool from the drum shaft. It is mounted on a shaft without fasteners, therefore it can be removed with one hand
- The main part of the drum is fixed with a screw, which is necessary Unscrew with a screwdriver with an appropriate tip or bit
- To unscrew, hold the drum base with one hand, and unscrew it with a screwdriver counterclockwise with the other.
- After that, you can proceed to dismantling. To do this, you do not need to pull it with all force, but slightly shake it to the sides, slowly disengage it from the metal shaft on which the drum is set
- When reinstalling, fit the head into the square slots
This process is NOT difficult, and as you understand, it is not necessary to dismantle the entire head if you know how the replacement is performed. When dismantling, take into account the following nuances:
- It is recommended to remove the head periodically to prevent corrosion of the threaded connection. If you NEVER unscrew the screw, it will be difficult and sometimes even impossible to do this if necessary.
- If the screw has a four-sided bore of the head, then for unscrewing it is necessary to select a screwdriver or bits of a suitable size in order to exclude licking of the edges on the head
- When assembling the unit, treat the threaded seat with lubricants, such as grease or machine oil.
- If the edges on the screw are licked, then you can use special clamping pliers to unscrew it.
- There are drums that DO NOT require any prior disassembly. To dismantle them, grab it and rotate in the opposite direction to the clockwise direction
Knowing how to disassemble the drum, you should continue to figure out how to replace the trimmer line. Below is a detailed process on how to open the trimmer coil and disassemble it.
Removing and disassembling the coil
The mowing trimmer head consists of a cover, a spring (not available in every model), a spool with a cord, a cover. Before proceeding to disassemble the coil of the electrical unit, be sure to disconnect the trimmer from the mains. The disassembly method depends on the attachment of the mowing head. First option:
- To remove the cover that covers the inside of the head, press on the latches (latches) that are located on both sides.
- Remove the cover, under which you will see the spool. Remove it from the body. Some trimmer spools have a spring under the bobbin, which must also be carefully pulled out.
- Soaked in the bobbin, you will see a screw in the center of the case. Unscrew it with a screwdriver.
- After removing the fasteners, take the body of the part and, swing it in different directions, remove the gearbox from the shaft.
In the second version, the trimmer head is screwed onto the gearbox shaft. To remove it, you need to fix the shaft. For this, such devices have a hole through which a thin screwdriver or metal rod is inserted. Brief instruction:
- Insert a screwdriver into the special hole, then lock the shaft.
- Grasp the body of the head and start twisting it. This should be done clockwise, because the thread on the shaft is left.
Winding the line to the reel
How to put a line on a trimmer
Any garden owner knows how quickly weeds can fill an area. The trimmer will help you get the victory over them without undue effort. This incredibly useful device is an indispensable tool for trimming and mowing grass.
It is no secret that an ordinary lawn mower cannot be used everywhere. In contrast, the trimmer can handle even very difficult areas. This is especially true of those tools in which NOT a knife, but a fishing line acts as a cutting element.
Trimmer head types
The main elements of the trigger is the mowing head, which is a cylindrical body with a spool (bobbin) inserted inside. The fishing line (cord) is tucked into it. The heads differ from each other in the way of feeding and threading the cord. There are three types of heads in total:
- Automatic. The line is then fed as the user decreases the engine speed. Automatic cord feeding is very convenient when there is a lot of work to be done. The disadvantage of such a head is the high consumption of whining.
- Semi-automatic. The use of such a head does not require the user to perform any complex manipulations. The principle of its operation is designed so that the line begins to automatically lengthen while the trimmer is operating at full speed. You just need to lightly hit the ground with the head of the machine (this will release the blocking of the chain), and the cord will be pulled out of the bobbin due to centrifugal force. Then the line is cut to the required length with a knife, which is located on the protective casing.
- Manual. To lengthen the cord, the machine must be stopped. After that, the line will need to be pulled out manually.
Trimmer coil types
How to wind the line onto the trimmer spool
At first glance, threading a line into the reel of a tool is not easy. But it is enough to carefully study this process. and in the future all the necessary actions will be performed without any difficulties.
It is worth reading this guide to find out how to tuck the line into the trimmer. The step-by-step instructions given below take into account the peculiarities of the coils of different types of trimmers, therefore, it is applicable to any tool.
So, the procedure is as follows.
- The line spool is the bottom end of the trimmer. First of all, of course, you need to remove this head from the device. To do this, you need to fix the rod (or, in other words, the shaft) on which the coil is attached. It is required to fix it in such a way that it does not scroll. The easiest way to do this is by placing a kind of stupor (preferably metal) between the shaft threads through a special hole. When the shaft is fixed, the spool can be unscrewed.
- At this stage, you have to remove the bobbin from the head, on which the fishing line is attached. To do this, you need to disassemble the head into elements. To do this, you must first find a retainer on its body. It is located on the circumference of the product and is like a button. When the latch is found, you need to press it firmly. Keeping the latch pressed, you must return the head cover clockwise. Then you need to remove the cover and remove the bobbin.
- A tight spring is placed between the bobbin and the head. It needs to be put aside for a while so that it does not interfere with the winding process. Before proceeding with the step of winding the line, it is necessary to inspect the bobbin. If there are remnants of old fishing line on it, they must be removed. When the bobbin is cleaned, you can start preparing a new bobbin.
- Here is a previously prepared skein of new fishing line, you need to measure and cut off six (maximum. seven) meters. Keep the bobbin close at hand.
At this point, the key stage actually begins, which this article is devoted to.
Second winding method
- A previously prepared segment of six meters in length is required to bend exactly in the middle and cut. Thus, two segments of the same length are obtained.
- At one end of each line, you need to make a small “hook”. To do this, it is necessary to bend a couple of centimeters from the edge and fix it for a short time so that the “hook” does not unbend.
- Then one segment is taken. The hook is inserted into the through hole at the top of the bobbin.
- Now you can proceed to the key stage. winding. The direction in which to wind is indicated by an arrow pointing to the bobbin. It is important to make sure that the line is wound strictly within the upper part of the reel. It is not necessary to wind the thread to the very tip. that’s the end About fifteen centimeters should remain free.
- In the upper edge of the spool there are small recesses (so-called grooves) for fixing consumables. The free “tail” whine must be inserted into one of THESE recesses.
- The top of the coil is loaded. Now you need to do the same procedure with the bottom. Take the second piece of thread. The “hook” is threaded through the through hole at the bottom of the bobbin.
- After that, you can start winding the fishing line (within the lower compartment). And at this segment, you also need to leave about fifteen centimeters free from the end. This remaining “tail” must be inserted into the grooves opposite to the one into which the end of the first segment is inserted.
The subsequent actions for this type of coils are exactly the same as those described for the previous type in paragraphs five to nine.
This is how the line in the trimmer spool changes. Nothing complicated in the commenting process. And after several refueling operations, all actions will reach automaticity.
To visually study the process described above, you can turn to the Internet for help. On the popular YouTube portal there are many different ones with a demonstration of winding a line on a trimmer reel.
Private home owners know how essential a trimmer tool is. It can be gasoline and electric, and they differ in the design of power units. For cutting grass in areas where there are stones, trees and other obstructing objects, a fishing line is used as a cutting device. This consumable wears out during use, so how to wind the trimmer coil, we will consider in detail in the material.
How does the head with fishing line work for lawn mowers why you need to know the principle of operation
Depending on the manufacturer, the heads differ structurally Not only externally, but also internally. Most drums have a compression spring inside (semi-automatic and automatic). Above is an instruction on how to disassemble the trimmer head without a spring, i.E. On the head of the manual type. The principle of dismantling a semi-automatic head with a spring inside is almost identical to the above described instructions.
The principle of operation of the semi-automatic coil trimmer is as follows:
- There is a coil inside the head, which is set on slots that prevent its free movement
- A spring acts on the coil, which presses it against the splines in the cover structure
- A fishing line is wound on the tip, the length of which depends on the tool itself. Typically this length is 1 to 4 meters
- During the execution of the work, if necessary, the length of the line is increased, the protruding part of the drum is pressed, whereby it disengages from the splines. In this case, the fishing line is unwound from the drum, increasing in length
- After releasing the required amount of fishing line, release the pressure, and continue working on the grass slope
The advantage of a tool with a line is that this consumable does not require sharpening, in comparison with metal discs. In addition, if a stone or a tree comes across on the way, then the line simply breaks off, and not having a negative effect on the gearbox and engine of the tool, as is the case with metal cutting discs.
Knowing the design and device of the types of mowing or trimmer heads, it is necessary to go on to consider the process of threading the line into the trimmer spool. After all, it is this moment that causes difficulties for most owners of special tools.
Instructions with step-by-step descriptions of how to wind the trimmer reel and lawn mowers
In order not to be mistaken with the choice of a suitable fishing line for your tool, you should first disassemble the head and look at the side wall of the reel. This information is usually provided for a tip, which will NOT allow you to make a mistake using the appropriate equipment.
If the information on the reel is about the diameter of the fishing line you can fill in, then this information can be clarified in the instructions. Having decided on the thickness or diameter of the rig, it remains to figure out how to charge it. There are two ways to do this, but not all are applicable. We will consider both methods in detail, and depending on which models of lawn mowers and trimmers you use, you decide on your own which option is suitable.
Selection by thickness
In addition, you should pay special attention to the thickness of the consumables. For mowing young grass, a thread with a diameter of one and a half millimeters is suitable. The larger the diameter of the thread, the drier and coarser weeds it is capable of overpowering.
When choosing a fishing line by thickness, there is one “but”. It is important not only to assess the capabilities of the material, but also to take into account the features of the trimmer. Be sure to check the user manual that came with your tool for information on cutting element requirements.
The use of improper whining may result in tool failure. Using a thread that is too thick will overload the device motor. And the use of a thread that is too thin will significantly increase the wear of the twisting mechanism.
That is why the choice of consumables must be approached no less responsibly than filling it into the trimmer. When a suitable fishing line is found and purchases, you can begin to consider ways of winding it on a reel.
How to wind the line on the trimmer spool. How to wind the line correctly on the trimmer reel. Step by step guide
Insert the resulting loop into the groove.
Lay the line in accordance with the indicated direction on the element body.
Insert the short end into the slot on the side of the spool.
Fasten the long end in the opposite groove.
Place the spool with coiled line into the spool body.
Pull the line out of the locking slots.
Put on the cover and fix.
Trim the ends of the line, leaving 10 to 15 centimeters.
The replacement of the line is completed and now all that remains is to screw the bobbin onto the trimmer and you can work.
Preparation. remove and disassemble the spool
On most electric and petrol trims, you will need to remove the spool to replace the line. The FUBAG tool lets you skip this step. To make the instruction universal, we will still consider it in detail:
Lock the shaft. Insert the locking element into the corresponding hole. It can be a thin screwdriver or a metal rod.
Unscrew the bobbin case. In our example. strictly clockwise.
Unscrew the cover in accordance with the direction indicated on the body.
Take out the winding spool.
The preparatory stage has been passed. You can go to winding the fishing line.
How to choose a fishing line. length, diameter, restrictions
As for the length, you should count on the estimated frequency of use of the trimmer. The more often, the more it costs to stock up the expense.
Information about the possible line diameter can be found on the body trimmer spools. Most likely, the range will be indicated there. The thickness varies from 1.2 to 4 mm. Choose the appropriate option, taking into account the peculiarities of the cultivated area. The larger the diameter, the easier it is to mow tough grass.
ATTENTION! Typical line problems
It is not in vain that they say: “Forewarned is forearmed“. Knowing about possible problems and the causes of their occurrence, you can prevent them in time. We recommend to remember or leave a memo.
|line break||Stones, twigs and solid objects in the grass||Avoid collision|
|Poor cord quality||Replace with a quality analog|
|Wear of outlet holes in the head||Complete replacement of part required|
|the line is unwound||Loose spring in the coil||Check spring and replace if damaged|
|the line is sticking||Poor line quality, due to which it can melt under the influence of temperature from a heating head||Reel in less line or replace with a better line|
For a better understanding of the mechanism of the process of changing the line into a spool with a guide prepared by FUBAG specialists: