How to change the line on a trimmer?
Grass trimmer line replacement with step-by-step instructions will allow even an inexperienced in such matters lawnmower owner to perform quite a complicated job.
However, before you start work on replacing the line on the trimmer, it is necessary to ensure that the work is carried out safely. In particular, measures should be taken to protect against careless or spontaneous activation of the lawnmower:
- prevent unintentional starting,
- Remove the battery (if used),
- Place the tool in a comfortable working position.
Grass trimmer line replacement is convenient to perform when the lawnmower is lying on the table and the person who does the grass trimmer line replacement has an opportunity to step up to the tool from any side.
Grass trimmer head cover removal
The first disassembly step is to remove the cover of the grass trimmer head. On an example of models of trimmers “Black and Decker” and others, for removal of a cover it is usually enough to apply some pressing force to squeeze the latch-lock which are on the side of the head.
On some models of lawnmowers initially provide for the removal of the grass trimmer head, for which use the hexagon wrench included with the tool. The head is usually held by two or three screws, which are accessed through the side holes of the back decorative cover.
The head cap, where the fishing line spool is mounted, is usually held in place by a latch tongue. It is enough to press the catch-lip with some effort and turn the lid a little, after that the lid can be easily removed
At the moment the locking tab is pressed off, you must slightly turn and lift the cover of the grass trimmer head to remove the winding drum.
Step two: removing the reel (spool) with the line
The next step in the process is to remove the winding reel with the fishing line from the inner area of the head. You need to turn the head with the open side to see the fishing line and spool. On the side of the head find two recesses (eyelets) through which the fishing line is led out.
Release the fishing line from the holes by turning the drum. Then carefully remove the spool from the head area. Some models are spring-mounted on the spooling reel. This point must be taken into account when performing the extraction operation.
Procedure for removing the grass trimmer reel with fishing line from inside the head: 1. head complete with reel; 2. extracting gently with a slight axial turn; 3. extracted parts
The old line is completely removed from the spool. To perform the removal of the old line of the grass trimmer, it is necessary to remove the line from the loops-fixators and pull the free end. This method removes all old spooling. The same process is repeated on the second section of the drum. It is recommended that the technician wear gloves when performing the work.
Preparing to change the line
Before replacing the filament, you must remove and then disassemble the head. It usually includes a cover, a spring (on some models), a bobbin with fishing line, a cover. It is necessary to unplug the electric grass trimmer (or muffle the gasoline one), and then proceed to remove the spool. It can be fixed in two different ways: in the first case, you need to completely disassemble the head, and in the second. just remove it from the gearbox shaft, to which it is attached.
- under the cover there is a bobbin, it must be carefully pulled out of the housing (sometimes under it there is a spring, it should also be carefully put aside so as not to lose it);
- after removing the bobbin, a fixing bolt (or screw) becomes visible in the center of the housing, which must be unscrewed in the opposite direction to the clockwise movement;
- after removing the fasteners hold the spool by its housing and remove it from the gearbox shaft by rocking.
The second method is as follows. The head of the spool is attached to the gearbox shaft. In order to undo the head winding, this shaft must be secured. Usually a hole is made in the mowers, for example, Champion or STIHL, in which a nail, rod or screwdriver can be inserted. After fixing the shaft in a fixed position, you must, holding the housing, start turning the head clockwise, since the thread on the shaft is usually applied to the left.
Now that the head is removed and disassembled, you need to determine how thick the cord should be. You can find out the appropriate diameter for your grass trimmer by looking in the owner’s manual or on the bobbin itself, usually this information is indicated on it. Another way is to insert the thread into the hole from which it is fed. If the cord goes in without difficulty, it can be used for work.
Note! To understand how much fishing line to wind for the spool, you need to wind it on the bobbin so that the height of the skein was not more than the diameter of the sides. If the cord protrudes over the edges, it will not be possible to hide the spool in the casing.
How to wind the line on the reel of the Patriot grass trimmer?
Almost every beginner when using a grass trimmer faces the problem of changing the fishing line. Despite the fact that changing the fishing line is very easy, you need to learn how to do it correctly. Changing a fishing line with the proper skill will not take more than five minutes. you just need to practice it all the time. This article will discuss how to replace your line, using Patriot trimmers as an example.
How to wind up a fishing line on a grass trimmer reel. detailed instructions
Grass trimmer cutting line has served its useful life and needs to be rewound? Don’t panic. There are several ways to wind the fishing line onto the grass trimmer reel. Which method depends on the design of the bobbin and the model of the tool. Getting into the details of the process.
Grass trimmer can have several attachments for working with different types of vegetation
Choose a line
The fishing line must be strong, stiff and flexible. in a trimmer it serves as a working tool for cutting the grass. The lines are available in different thicknesses. from 1.2 mm to 4.0 mm. most models are designed for a maximum filament thickness of 3 mm. Which diameter of line for grass trimmer is suitable in this or that case depends on a number of factors.
Depending on the hardness of the mowed vegetation:
It is important to keep in mind that too thin thread accelerates wear and tear of the motor, too coarse will accelerate its overheating and premature failure.
The structure of the cord of the line is important:
- round. universal, the most durable, for coarse grass;
- shaped. for soft plants;
- twisted with notches. for thin, long stems.
Important! Choose lines of the type and specifications recommended by your brushcutter manufacturer. Such material will work long and well with optimal loads on the motor of the product.
Algorithm of line winding
Depending on the model of grass trimmer used, you choose the type, thickness and length of the line. The cord diameter can be from 1.2 to 4 mm. It’s not hard to guess that the thicker you tuck the cord, the harder and thicker the grass it can cut.
In most cases a universal line with a diameter of 2 mm is used.
There are 3 ways to find out which diameter of line you can use on your mower.
- See the instructions for the cord thickness for information about the thickness of the cord.
- Look at the bobbin itself. Information on possible line diameters may be printed on it.
- Insert the line into the exit hole. If it fits through without difficulty, you can use a cord with this diameter.
The line is wound on the spool in the mowing head. So you have to open it first (mentioned above). There are two ways to wind the cords.
The first way
To determine how many meters of line are required for your particular spool, you need to wind it on the bobbin so that the coil does not exceed the diameter of the bobbins. If the line is peeking out over the edges of the spool, you will not be able to fit it into the casing. Once you’ve decided on the length of the material, it needs to be tucked into the bobbin, so do the following.
- You need to fold the fishing line in half so that one end is 10-15 cm longer than the other.
- Note that the bobbin is divided into two parts by the center bead, which is where the charging begins. Find the groove on it and insert the cord bent in half by applying a small amount of force.
- It is very important to determine in which direction the line is wound on the spool. If you look closely, you may find an arrow or a sign on the bobbin, indicating in which direction the winding should be conducted. There are times when there is no arrow on the spool. In such a situation, you may look at the arrow on the mowing head and wind the cord in the opposite direction.
- The winding should be conducted accurately, with the maximum tension of the thread.
- After you have finished laying the cord, you must first secure the short end of the line by inserting it into a matching diameter slot on the side of the spool.
- The second end, the longer end, is attached to the groove on the opposite side of the bobbin.
- Once the cord is secure, cut the ends off, leaving an allowance of about 10 cm.
- Then insert the spool with the thread in the mowing head. To do this, by alternately inserting and pulling the thread into the output holes of the head, place the bobbin into the cover, then, applying the required force, pull the fishing line out of the locking slots and tighten it.
- Now you can put on the cover and fasten it with the clips.
Some spools have a second method for securing the filament: you may charge 2 lengths of filament instead of one folded in half. To change a fishing line, proceed as follows.
- Before changing or loading new cord into the spool, determine how many meters of cord you will need using the method above.
- Bend one end of the filament into a hook.
- Find the hole at the bottom of the bobbin to hold the line in place and insert the looped end of the thread.
- Wind the cord in the direction of the arrow up to the necessary level, not exceeding the diameter of the spool.
- Do the same for the second bobbin case.
- Assembling the head is no different from the method described above for threading the bobbin with a doubled length of fishing line.
For Shtil brushcutters there is a quick and easy way to change the filament without disassembling the mowing head, watch this video.
The ends of the filament sticking out of the holes in the guard can be cut to the required length after the piece is installed in the trimmer. There are two ways to do this:
- Turn on the grass trimmer (as it rotates, the ends of the line will cut on the knife attached to the blade guard for this purpose);
- By cutting the excess ends with scissors so that they do not touch the housing.
The second method is used in case you have to use a big diameter cord and a cutter blade cannot shorten it.
If the filament is charged to the mowing head but the projecting filament ends are not long enough, they must be lengthened before starting the machine, this applies to a mowing head with manual adjustment. However, there are cases when using a semi-automatic mowing head where the projecting filament ends are not automatically lengthened due to insufficient length. In this case it is necessary to turn off the machine (on an electric machine you must necessarily unplug the plug from the socket), manually press the button located at the bottom of the part, and pull out a bit of fishing line. After this operation, the cord may be pulled out again due to centrifugal force if the spindle speed is set to maximum.
No matter how thick you use the line, you should remember: to avoid constant interruptions in your work and change the filament, you should avoid hard spots where the cutting tool might touch hard surfaces (stones, kerbs, thick, dry twigs, etc.) and touch the other side of the line.д.).
Store-bought grass trimmer is already ready to work in it is tucked in a standard kapron fishing line. It cuts the grass, but it copes with the work poorly quickly fails and only mows young, thin plants. Old grass and weeds with hardened stems cannot be cut at all or are difficult to cut, and wear out quickly. It is enough for a short time, and then you need to change the line in the trimmer.
It is not recommended to use fishing line, it is better to take a special string with a core of fiberglass. You can buy these at construction stores. Choose one with a square or triangular cross section. its sharp edges work like knives.
Consumption of line for grass trimmer when using faceted and reinforced consumable material will be reduced by 2-3 times, the same amount of time increased productivity compared to the round section of line and line, not reinforced with fiberglass.
How to replace string trimmer edger line
Buy material with a diameter no smaller than the manufacturer’s recommendation. If the diameter is unknown, you need to look at the size of the holes on the outer casing of the mowing head: the diameter of the working thread should be slightly smaller than the hole to pass freely through it.
Buy enough cutting line stock (for 2-3 changes), try to buy different versions to compare which one will work best.
Once you know how much material you need for one winding, be guided in the length of the line when you buy it next time, so that no pieces are left too short for winding.
To change the line on a power mower with your own hands, you need to disassemble the mowing head and take out the spool, on which the working thread is wound.
How to wind the line correctly on the grass trimmer spool
Many people, having exhausted the factory line on the recently purchased trimmer, try to wind a new one, but they cannot, as they do not know how to correctly wind the line on the spool (bobbin) of the grass trimmer. It seems that there is a manual, but it still does not work. In this article we will try to deal with this question.
So, to wind the fishing line, you need, first of all, to remove the spool from the grass trimmer so it will be more convenient. The way of removing will depend on the type of grass trimmer.
Tips for choosing fishing line for grass trimmer
The reel is the main component of the brushcutter. It is equipped with a special line to cut the grass. This very line can serve you for a very long time, if you do not spare money for it (line for grass trimmer. the one you should not save on). Nowadays you can find different cutting threads, which vary in their cross-section, composition and thickness. This line is often available in large or small skeins in specialized stores. If you want your mower to last a long time, choose your line responsibly (you might even break your machine if you choose the wrong one).
- Never choose filament for the sake of “saving money”. Buying the cheapest and obviously also the lowest quality line can cost you more. As a rule, cheap (“Chinese”) lines have the best parameters, but in fact they are completely different. The consequences of buying the cheapest thread could be both that the thread will break and that your lawnmower will fail. If the reel fails quickly, you’ll have to replace it again, which means you’ll spend even more money.
- Buy lines only in specialized stores or from sellers in whom you are 100% sure in order not to be cheated.
- Always check the authenticity of your line. It is no secret that products can be faked, and spools are no exception. If you decide to buy a quality branded line, that will serve you for a long time, look for special holographic signs or codes on its package. They can be used to easily check the authenticity of the line.
- In addition to the advice above, if you choose a quality brand for long life, choose lines from German or Japanese manufacturers.
- If your lawnmower or grass trimmer has its own line production. no doubt, buy it, because the manufacturer has taken into account all the nuances for you in advance.
- Remember to use a line that matches your brushcutter’s specifications, so you do not get a machine breakdown.
- It’s best to buy two or three rolls of line for different purposes. One type of line will be more effective at mowing fresh young grass, a second type will help you mow tough undergrowth, and a third type will help you take down all the dead wood.
When you have bought a certain type of fishing line, be sure to follow the advice on its use from the manufacturer. Thus, if you use the thread for young grass on dry grass. it will very quickly get out of working condition, and you will have to buy a new one and replace it again.