Trimming the line into the trimmer
The line feed system from the trimmer is manual, semi-automatic and automatic. Here is an example of how to thread the line into the trimmer (Trimmer BOSCH Art 30).
We fill the line in the trimmer.
I want to devote today’s article to the sore subject of summer residents and gardeners of the entire post-Soviet space “How to fill the line in the trimmer.” Not many trimmer manufacturers answer this question in their instruction manuals. Therefore, it is difficult for simple gardeners to figure out how to do it correctly.
I want to start with a brief description of the technical characteristics of the trimmers.
So, trimmers are electric and gasoline. The cutting element for trimmers can be a line and a knife. The line is ordinary, four. Pentahedral and intertwined (in the form of a pigtail). Knives come in 2, 3 and 4 bladed knives. There are also plastic and metal knives.
The line feed system from the trimmer is manual, semi-automatic and automatic.
The development engineers who create new models of trimmers clearly calculate the diameter (thickness) of the line and the number of knife blades, according to the power of the trimmers. Otherwise, the motor is overloaded, resulting in damage. And these are additional and significant costs.
Trimmers on the market today:
With one nozzle – only a line.
With two nozzles – a fishing line and a three-four-blade knife.
With one nozzle – only three to four bladed knife.
Our Kulibins long ago learned to improve any mechanisms. So, for example, some gardeners make successful, in their opinion, replacement of fishing line with a metal cable, or fishing line. But at the same time, they do not think about the safety of their own and their loved ones, because, like a cable with the power of a working trimmer, it can easily break out and not only injure the mower and others, but leave him crippled for life. Using a fishing line can and gives a better effect, I have never personally tried it than a trimmer line, but such work has a number of inconveniences: when it comes into contact with hard objects, it loosens or can simply be pulled out of the reel without limit.
So, what is called closer to the topic. Here is an example of how to thread the line into the trimmer (Trimmer BOSCH Art 30). Everything is very simple. We started.
After you have chosen the line for refueling, you need to cut off the required amount of line, because all the line in the skein will not be wound into the reel.
Cut off and start winding.
Remove the coil and the protective cover from the coil.
They took it off. We fasten one end of the line into the gap and carefully and evenly wind the line.
The amount of line should be such that the protective cover of the reel closes and the line on the reel unwinds a little by itself.
We put the other end of the line into the hole in the protective casing.
Next, we take the coil and the protective cover of the coil. We squirt the end of the line from the reel into the metal hole on the protective cover of the reel. We tighten the line a little.
We put it all on the trimmer. Turn the coil clockwise until it clicks.
They fixed it. Now we connect the trimmer to the network. We put the trimmer in the starting position for work. We turn on the trimmer. Excessive line length will be cut with the trimmer blade.
Coil in trimmer
That’s all we start working.
Spare coil storage space
It is very simple to install such a fishing line into the reel – according to the internal scheme inside the reel. We insert the center of the line with a metal mount in the upper part of the reel, and draw the ends of the line along the grooves and bring it out.
Material you can see
A little advice. Try not to let the line come into contact with hard objects when cutting. With this contact, the line will be cut. And since in this trimmer the line is not fed automatically, then every time you have to stop work, remove the reel and release the line again.
In order to change the line, you need to remove the old one (if it was).
The reel is the part of the trimmer structure that is located inside the mower head, drum or bobbin. Heads vary depending on the manufacturer. But this article only covers Patriot, although their mechanism is used by many other companies.
Instructions on how to unscrew the manual head on the trimmer are described below.
- First of all, you need to clean the head from dirt and adhering grass, if it is dirty. To do this, lift the mower with its head up and, grasping the cover, remove the special protective cover on the drum.
- The next step is to remove the spool from the drum. The reel can be easily removed even with one hand, because it is not fixed in any way inside the drum.
- The drum itself is fixed in the trimmer with a bolt. This bolt must be unscrewed, after which you can easily pull out the drum. To do this carefully, you should support the drum with the spool, while unscrewing the screw counterclockwise.
- Now you can pull the coil out. As mentioned above, it is not secured by anything, except for a hook with a metal shaft, so it does not need to be pulled out with force. Carefully, in a circular motion, pull the spool out of the drum.
- Now it remains to remove the old fishing line and follow the next instructions.
The installation of the spool and drum in their original place is performed according to the reverse algorithm.
Before threading the line, make sure you have purchased the correct thread for the trimmer. In the event that the thread is not suitable, the fuel or energy consumption increases, as well as the load on the engine of the lawn mowers.
In order to replace the thread itself directly, you need to prepare a piece of thread of the required size. Most often, this requires about 4 m of line. The specific figure will depend on the parameters of the thread, for example, its thickness, as well as on the parameters of the spool itself. If you cannot accurately determine the length, you can do the following: insert and wind the thread until the coil is fully charged (the line level will be compared with the protrusions on the sides of the coil). Make sure that the line sits flat in the spool.
The instructions for threading the line into the spool are described below.
- The prepared thread must be taken and folded in half. It should be ensured that one edge is 0.1-0.15 m longer than the other.
- Now you need to take the ends in different hands. The one that is smaller must be pulled up to the larger one so that it becomes 2 times shorter. When bending, maintain an offset of 0.15m.
- Find the notch inside the coil baffle. Gently thread the loop you made earlier into this slot.
- To continue working, it is necessary to determine the direction of winding the thread in the bobbin. To do this, it is enough to inspect the coil – there should be an arrow on it.
- If the arrow-pointer could not be found, then it is quite possible that there is a written designation. An example is shown in the photo below. Inspect the coil head. It has a direction indicator. However, this is the direction of travel of the coil. To get the direction of winding, you need to wind in the opposite direction.
- Now you need to load the spool with line. It is worth noting that there are special guide grooves inside the coil. Follow these grooves when winding the thread, otherwise the trimmer may be damaged. At this stage, you need to charge the coil very carefully.
- When the user has wound up almost the entire thread, take the short end (do not forget about the 0.15m protrusion) and pull it into the hole located in the wall of the reel. Now you need to repeat this action in the same way with the other end (on the other side).
- Place the reel itself in the head of the reel, before passing the line through the holes inside the drum.
- Now is the time to put the drum back in place. After that, you need to take the ends of the line with both hands and pull them to the sides. Then you need to put the lid back on (here you can safely make efforts until a characteristic click is heard).
- Remained to do the “cosmetic work”. We need to see if the thread is too long. You can start the trimmer and check in practice if everything is comfortable. If the thread comes out a little long, you can trim it with scissors.
How do I wind the line around the Patriot trimmer reel?
Almost every beginner when using a trimmer is faced with the problem of changing the line. While changing your line is easy, you need to learn how to do it right. Changing the fishing line with proper skill will take no more than five minutes – you just have to constantly practice it. This article will walk you through changing the line using the Patriot trimmers as an example.
Although winding the line is a very simple task, many beginners can wind the line incorrectly. Below are the most common mistakes.
- Many people, when measuring the thread, think that 4 m is a lot. Because of this, people often measure less and, accordingly, they do not have enough line. Do not be afraid to measure out a lot, because you can always cut off the excess.
- In a rush, some people do not follow the threading grooves inside the spool and wind the thread randomly. This will cause the line to come out of the reel and may even cripple.
- For winding, use only the appropriate line. This error is the most common. You need to monitor not only the thickness and volume of the line, but also its type. You should not use the first line that comes across for wrapping, which will not meet the goals. For example, you do not need to use a thread on young grass if you need to mow dead wood.
- Do not turn on the device until fully wound and collected. While this is obvious, some people do it in order to check if everything is done correctly.
- In no case should you confuse the direction of refueling, as this will overload the engine, and it will soon come out of working condition.
It is quite common for beginners to make mistakes, so you must follow the tips in this article.
See below for how to replace the line on the Patriot trimmer.
Winding the line to the trimmer
Measured and neat dismantling of the spool from the spit coil makes it possible to go directly to winding the line. The design features of the head, the number and location of the fixing holes dictate the sequence of actions when performing this operation, and also determine the methods used. Today there are several types of reels, depending on the number of line antennae and the methods of threading it:
- Trimmer head with one working mustache;
- A bobbin with two line antennae;
- Auto-winding reel.
How to wind line on a trimmer reel: key points
A gasoline or electric trimmer is an indispensable tool in the arsenal of a modern summer resident or owner of his own home.
Thanks to these gardening devices, even a large garden plot can be mowed with ease. After purchasing this tool and performing several mows, many people think about how to properly wind the line on the trimmer spool. For an inexperienced user, the first operation to replace it will seem problematic and time-consuming, since the developers often do not fully reflect the instructions for changing the line in the operating manual.
Single-barbed trimmer spool
Single-barb lawn mowers reel
Many owners and experts note the ease of use and ease of refueling the bobbin with one mustache. Depending on the manufacturer, the length of the threaded line can vary from 2 to 5 meters. The end of the line is inserted into the head into a special technological groove or hole, and the winding is done in the direction opposite to the working rotation of the bobbin. Most reels have arrow marks on the outside of the body that indicate the direction of travel of the trimmer reel.
After winding, you need to leave a free end of 15-30 cm to enhance the centrifugal force, which is decisive when removing the trimmer line in automatic and semi-automatic spools. We pass the left end through the working hole of the coil and assemble the head.
How to properly wind the line on the trimmer spool
Many, having worked out the factory line on a recently purchased trimmer, try to wind a new one, but cannot, because they do not know how to properly wind the line on the trimmer spool (bobbin). It seems that there is an instruction, but it still does not work. Let’s try to deal with this issue in this article.
So, in order to wind the line, you first need to remove the coil from the trimmer – this will be more convenient. Removal method will depend on the type of trimmer.
than 200 types of trimmers in one place at the lowest prices. Click and watch
Now, having removed and disassembled the coil, we proceed, in fact, to winding.
Removing the coil from the trimmer
On small, bottom motor electric trimmers (when operating near the ground), the reel usually has two buttons on the sides. Click on them and disconnect one half of the coil body from the second, which remains on the trimmer. Together with the first half, the inner part is also taken out, on which the fishing line is directly wound. When disassembling, be careful: there is a spring inside that can fly out and get lost.
On electric and gasoline trimmers with a curved bar (there is still no way to put a knife on such trimmers), you need to wrap the coil body itself with one hand, and with the other hand you need to start rotating the lamb on it counterclockwise. It is he who attaches the coil to the trimmer bar. Having unscrewed the lamb, carefully remove the entire coil, trying not to lose the spring inside.
On electric and gasoline trimmers with a straight bar and a gearbox at its end (on such trimmers, in addition to the fishing line, you can also install a knife), we look for a hole under the coil, insert, for example, a screwdriver into it, quietly rotate the coil until the screwdriver crawls even deeper, and the coil will lock. Now we turn the whole coil clockwise (since the thread is left-handed) and remove it from the trimmer. Then we disassemble the coil. It can be assembled with latches or twisted with a lamb. If the coil is latched, then press on the sides on the base of the latches so that they bend and release one half of the coil body from the other. We just unscrew the lamb. There may also be a third type of connection of two halves of such a coil: with it, you need to grab the lower part with one hand, and the upper part with the other, and start turning them in opposite directions. When disassembling such a coil, you must also make sure that the spring inside is not lost.
How to properly wind the line around the trimmer spool?
Despite the fact that gardening equipment has been used for quite some time, it is still a novelty for some owners of private houses. This is why there are often questions about how to properly wind the line on an electric or gasoline trimmer.
This is essentially a simple operation, but all its stages must be performed correctly in order to achieve the desired result. over, in the operating instructions, only a few manufacturers provide an answer to this sore question. Study the article to find out how the line winds around the trimmer reel.
The procedure for winding the line on the trimmer spool
First of all, you should know that trimmers have different working attachments. The reel can be designed for different lengths and thicknesses of the line – this point should be taken into account when purchasing consumables.
So how do you load the line into the trimmer reel? All work is divided into several stages:
- First you need to disassemble the trimmer head.
- Unscrew the attachment by rotating the drum to the right.
- Press with your fingers on the two latches located on different sides of the entrance, and remove the top cover of the nozzle. You can pry off the cover with a screwdriver. This should be done carefully: reels with automatic line feed have a spring that can forcefully throw the cover along with all the contents of the reel.
Remove the old line scraps.
- Now you need to find the middle of the line. To do this, unwind it to the required length (for example, 10 m), cut it and fold it in half.
- Hook the middle of the line into the existing recess or insert into the hole specially designed for this. And start winding. The direction is indicated by an arrow, which is usually marked on the trimmer reel body (usually against the rotation of the drum). Some models have a double-sided spool: in this case, the line should be wound in different directions: one end in one direction, the other in the other, while the loop of the line must be wound into the dividing slot in the middle.
- Leave loose ends of the line about 20cm each. Later they will need to be fixed in the recesses.
- And finally, the last step will be the assembly of the drum. Reinstall the washers and spring. On the top ring of the reel there are two notches where you need to tuck the antennae of the fishing line. Thread them through the holes and place the spool in the drum, taking care to tighten the line without dislodging the spring.
- Place the drum cover on top and close it with your fingers. The latches will snap into place with a distinctive click.
When you turn on the trimmer, the excess line will be cut off by the trimmer blade.
As you can see, winding the line on the trimmer reel is easy: the main thing is to do everything right. And here are some more tips that will come in handy when choosing a fishing line, winding it and subsequent work:
- Fishing line comes in different thicknesses and with different sections. The best option for winding is the “native” line for this model;
- Never use fishing line or metal cables for the trimmer. This replacement may seem effective, but it is very dangerous. Jumping off a working trimmer, the cable can seriously injure not only the lawnmower himself, but also those around him;
- The line is cut when the trimmer is in contact with hard objects. Try not to allow this, otherwise you will have to stop every time, turn off the device and rewind the line on the reel;
- Use regular line for cutting lawn grass and braid line for coarse weeds. It is more durable and will not constantly cut.