How to wind line on a trimmer spool: winding methods and using a trimmer in the garden. How to choose and wind the line on the trimmer reel. How do the coils differ from each other and the useful recommendations of specialists.
Features of the use of trimmers
A trimmer that mows grass with a fishing line can be used near: houses and other buildings, fences and hedges, trees and shrubs, beds and flower beds, row spacing in a garden plot
Such a convenient, and most importantly, effective device like a trimmer exists in several variations:
As the names suggest, trimmer types differ markedly from one another. But regardless of the type of this instrument, its the cutting element can be a line. Of course, the line tucked into the trimmer reel is not endless. And sooner or later you will need to replace it with a new one.
Line consumption directly depends on the frequency of use device and scale of work performed. The more grass is cut and the more often it is trimmed with the trimmer, the more active the line is used in it. And, accordingly, the faster it will end. In this regard, the question arises: how to thread the line into the trimmer spool?
Not everyone knows the answer to this question. But winding a fishing line on a reel plays an important role in trimmer operation. For the device to function properly, it is very important to properly wind the new line onto the reel. How to change the line on the trimmer, and will be discussed in this article.
How to wind line on a trimmer spool: winding methods and
Any garden owner knows how quickly weeds can invade an area. A trimmer will help to defeat them without undue effort. This incredibly useful device is an indispensable tool for trimming and mowing grass.
It is no secret that an ordinary lawn mower can be used not everywhere. In contrast, the trimmer can handle even very difficult areas. This is especially true for those tools in which the cutting element is not a knife, but a fishing line.
- Features of the use of trimmers
- Which line to choose
- Thickness selection
The first way to wind the line
The required amount of line has been cut off. Now you need to carefully examine the bobbin in order to understand what type it belongs to. It depends on how the line is to be wound on it.
There are two types of bobbins. In general, they differ slightly from each other. Regardless of the type, the coil is divided into two sections, upper and lower. In the first type, the dividing edge does not close into a ring and has a depression.
In the second type, it is solid, but near it on the sides on both sides there are small through holes. The method of winding the thread needs to be studied depending on which of the above types the coil belongs to.
- The previously prepared six-meter segment must be bent in half. It is best not exactly in the middle, but in such a way that one half is about fifteen centimeters longer.
- Then the place of the fold must be inserted into the recess in the dividing face. One half of the line should be at the top of the reel, the other half at the bottom.
- Now you can start winding directly. You need to wind in the direction of the arrow on the bobbin. When winding, you need to hold the threads so that they do not intertwine and the upper half winds up in the upper part of the spool, and the lower half in the lower part. Each half should have about fifteen centimeters free from the end.
- There are small indentations (or, in other words, grooves) in the upper edge of the bobbin for securing the consumable. The ends of the threads must be inserted into these recesses so that they are fixed against each other.
- The final step of threading the consumable into the tool, the ends attached to the bobbin must be threaded into the corresponding holes in the trimmer head.
- That’s all. The winding process is complete. Now all that remains is to assemble the head into a single whole. The spring fits neatly back between the bobbin and head. Then you need to insert the bobbin into the head and press them together.
- It is recommended to pull the free ends of the thread out more. To do this, pull the ends of the consumable one by one so that they are removed from the grooves in the bobbin. You can make sure that the cutting element is removed from the retaining grooves by trying to pull the threads a little, they should freely exit through the holes in the head.
- While pressing the bobbin down, you need to put the cover over it. The cover must be screwed to the head so that all the grooves on their bodies are aligned and the bobbin remains fixed between them.
- Finally, in the very last action, the head is screwed back into place at the bottom of the tool.
The process is complete. The line is tucked into a reel. The trimmer is ready for further work.
What are the trimmers and features of their use
The trimmer is useful for trimming small or difficult areas, such as near hedges, between beds and along paths. Today, manufacturers produce a wide variety of gasoline, electric and battery models, which can be selected for any owner’s request.
A fishing line is used as a cutting element of the trimmer. In the process of work, sooner or later, its length will end, and then the owner will have a question of how to correctly replace and fix the thread tucked into a removable coil.
Things to consider when choosing a line
It is important to select the right material before inserting and locking the line into the detachable trimmer spool.
Rating of the best petrol trimmer models. An overview of manufacturers and models, as well as useful tips from experts reviewed in this review, will help in a difficult choice among many device models.
Auto feed trimmer: how to wind the line into the removable spool
In some models of trimmers, a reel is installed, the line in which is refilled automatically. It is enough for the owner to fix the ends in the head, after turning on the equipment, the mechanism will perform all the winding manipulations on its own.
Trimmer coil device
Trimmer mowing heads come in a variety of designs, both simple and complex. The picture below shows an exploded view of the semi-automatic trimmer head from a Husqvarna (Husqvarna) lawn mower.
This type of head is present on most lawn mowers and trimmers, such as Stihl (Stihl), Patriot (Patriot), Champion (Champion), Bosch (Bosch), Huter (Huter) and others. The device of the mowing head is quite simple. It includes the following details:
- Mowing head base;
- Button for semi-automatic cord feeding;
- Bobbin (spool) into which the line is tucked;
- The eyes through them the line comes out;
- Trimmer head cover;
- Fishing line (cord).
There are also simpler trim heads shown in the following photo.
All these attachments do not allow you to change the length of the line in a semi-automatic mode (after pressing a button). If the cord breaks, you have to stop the mower and change it manually.
The cord lengthens spontaneously
There are times when the trimmer user notices a very fast line flow. At the same time, he never hit the button on the ground to lengthen the line. The reason for the fact that the line spontaneously lengthens, being cut on a special knife on the casing of the device, may be the absence of a spring in the mowing head. Often novice users of mowers, trying to load the line into the reel, forget to install the pressure spring in the head, or even lose it when opening the lid, and in the future, do not even know about its existence.
Line does not lengthen automatically
If the line does not lengthen when you lightly hit the trimmer button on the ground, then the reasons for this may be the following.
Option 1 a bite occurred, i.E. Clamping the cord between turns. This problem usually appears if the user has been winding the line on the reel unevenly, with intersecting turns, or winding it with insufficient tension. In the latter case, when the mowing head rotates at high speeds under the influence of centrifugal force, the cord begins to tighten, as a result of which inter-turn clamping of the fishing line is possible. To fix the problem, you will have to disassemble the coil on the trimmer and rewind the cord correctly, that is, in even turns with good tension.
Option 2 too short ends protrude from the head. The line may not come out when hitting the ground if the ends sticking out of the head are not long enough (short). In this case, the centrifugal force is not enough to stretch the line. Therefore, it is required to stop the unit (turn off the engine or disconnect the trimmer from the mains) and pull the line manually, after pressing the button.
Option 3 the line is brazed inside the mowing head. This causes the coil to lock and not spin when the button is pressed. Basically, this happens for several reasons: poor quality of the cord, overheating of the coil during prolonged operation of the unit, line hitting hard objects.
- In the first case, third-party cord can be made of low-quality and low-melting materials that cannot withstand mechanical and temperature stress. Therefore, you should give preference to "branded" lines.
- But, if you nevertheless purchased a fishing line of unknown quality, and it is often soldered during operation, then you can follow the example of some users who, after filling the cord into the reel, wet it with either silicone grease (from a can) or mineral oil. This procedure greatly reduces the likelihood of the coils of the fishing line being soldered together.
- Also, the line can be soldered if it hits a hard object (stone, fence, dry branch, etc.) during mowing. As a result, it stretches slightly and is pulled back into the head at high speed. From friction, the cord heats up, and its turns stick together. The only thing that can be done to eliminate this problem is to open the trimmer spool and rewind the line.