Makeshift trimmer blade guard for grass trimmers. How to make an electric grass trimmer with your own hands from a vacuum cleaner or other power tool
In summer, in order to keep the dacha plot looking neat, mowing the grass has to be regular. Quickly cope with this helps trimmer for the grass. a lightweight hand-held lawnmower in the form of a cane.
Sort of electric grass trimmer, only instead of the blade it has a fishing line for trimmer.
A well-known disadvantage of trimmers. the fact that without special protection (mask and goggles) can not work with it: grass at high speed in different directions, getting in the face and eyes.
The reason for this is the small size of the shield over the rotating line.
To solve this problem, I trimmed the “native” plastic shield, leaving only a third part attached to the boom.
Then made a new sheet of aluminum thickness of 0.2 mm and a size of 250 × 250 mm, and fastened it to the remaining part of the former shield with two screws from the top.
Instead of aluminum you can use a plate of rubber or linoleum, but then the shields of these materials will have to be fixed with a steel wire, so that the edges do not accidentally get under the rotating line for the trimmer.
Retrofitting the trimmer blade for the grass trimmer
Every electric grass trimmer has one big disadvantage: the grass sap and haylage that it produces can fly far to the sides and upwards, covering the mower with green from head to toe. You have to wear overalls, a face and eye protection, but the dust gets into your boots and settles on your headwear. After an hour of work the mower is already “all covered in green, absolutely all”! The operator has to spend a lot of time on the following “decontamination”.
The reason is that the grass trimmers have too little blade over the rotating line. In mine, for example, the shield occupies only a sector that corresponds to the numbers from 4 to 8 on the clock face, which is clearly not enough.
To eliminate this drawback, I cut the plastic shield in my trimmer, leaving only the third (central) part attached to the boom. Then I made an enlarged shield from aluminum sheet of thickness 0.2 mm and size 250×250 mm, which I fastened with two screws from above to the remaining part of the former shield (see:). fig.).
The resulting new shield began to cover the entire semi-circle of rotation of the line, facing the mower, protecting him from flying greens. The effect of such an upgrade has been remarkable! Now even the boots do not get dirty above half of the cuffs.
In case you do not have an aluminum sheet, you can use a rubber or linoleum plate. To prevent the sagging of the edges of such material will have to be reinforced from above on the perimeter with a steel wire. The peripheral portions of the material must be held in elevated position by the wire. The material of the shield should be attached to the wire exactly in these places, out of reach of the rotating fishing line.
Below are other entries “How to make your own hands. for the homeowner!”
Any homestead needs grass cutting. Electric or gasoline grass trimmer is expensive, and not every owner can afford to buy it. Therefore, some craftsmen have learned to make their own trimmer for grass from the angle grinder.
For your safety
Use the product for its intended purpose. The product is used:
- in accordance with the technical specifications and in compliance with the safety regulations of the Instruction Manual;
- to work in the garden;
- for trimming the edges of the lawn, mowing grass in small areas and in inaccessible places, for example, under bushes;
- For mowing weeds and small shrubs.
Use of the product for any other purpose is a violation of the User Manual. The user is responsible for injury to bystanders and damage to their property resulting from improper use of the product. Use the product only if it is in good condition. The manufacturer is not liable for damages caused by modifications or alterations of any kind.
BASIC SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS
- Read carefully through the User Manual before using the product. Familiarize yourself with the operation and use of the product.
- Do not operate the product when you are tired, ill, under the influence of alcohol, drugs or medicine.
- This appliance is not intended for use by persons under 16 years of age or by persons who have not read the Operating Instructions.
- Inspect the product carefully for damage before each use. Do not use the product until the damage has been completely repaired. Check for fuel leaks. To prevent injury to the user, bystanders, and breakage, check that all parts of the product, especially the trimmer line reel and cutter blade, are properly installed and securely fastened. Be sure to install the blade guard correctly. Failure to do so may result in serious injury to the operator, bystanders, or product damage.
- Use only 2.41 mm trimmer line of 2.41 mm diameter. Do not use reinforced trimmer fishing line, wires, ropes, etc. as a cutting element.д. Failure to do so may result in damage to the product and create a hazardous situation.
- Watch out for possible head, arm, and leg injuries.
- Depress the throttle control lever and check that it automatically returns to the original position. Make any necessary adjustments or repairs before use.
- Carefully check the area where you will be working. Remove foreign objects (stones, glass, nails, wires, springs, etc.) from the product. д.) that could fall under the trimmer line or the blade of the cutting blade and be thrown off while the product is in operation. Check that there are no bystanders, children, or animals in the vicinity of your job. Check that there are no bystanders within 15 meters. Ensure there are no bystanders or animals within 15 m of the area you are going to work.к. they can be injured by foreign objects thrown from underneath the implement. Persons observing the work process must wear protective goggles. Stop the engine if bystanders approach you.
When working with gasoline-powered trimmers.
- Store fuel mixture (gasoline and oil) only in special canisters designed for storing chemically active substances.
- Do not create ignition sources above the spilled fuel mixture. Do not start the engine until all fuel residue has evaporated from the surface of the engine.
- Stop the engine and let it cool down before refueling. Never open the cap or add fuel mixture when the engine is running or hot. Do not operate the product without the fuel cap in place. Open the fuel cap carefully to equalize pressure inside and outside the fuel tank.
- Prepare fuel mixture and fill fuel tank in a clean, well ventilated place, away from sources of sparks and fire. After stopping the engine, slowly unscrew the fuel cap. Do not smoke when working with gasoline. Do not operate the engine indoors or in enclosed spaces.
- Move the product at least 10 meters away before starting the engine. from the point at which you fill it with fuel mixture. Do not smoke, keep away from sources of sparks and fire.
- Do not start the engine inside an enclosed area. Exhaust gases contain carbon monoxide, which is dangerous to health. Work outdoors only.
- Use protective goggles and ear protectors to protect your ears when working. Use a face mask (respirator) when working in dusty conditions. Long-sleeved shirt recommended.
- Wear sturdy, rubber-soled shoes. Do not work with bare feet or with open shoes. The use of gloves and long pants is recommended.
- The blade guard must always be in place when using the product with a trimmer line reel. A trimmer line of the recommended trimmer diameter must be installed in the reel. The two ends of the trimmer line must be protruding the maximum permitted length from the holes in the trimmer line reel. The ends of the trimmer line must not protrude beyond the guard.
- The product is equipped with a clutch. Therefore, when the engine is running at idle speed, the trimmer line reel or the cutting blade (cutting attachment) must not rotate. If the tool rotates at idle speed, call your Authorized Service Center.
- Before starting the engine of the product, make sure that the trimmer line/cutting blade does not come into contact with any foreign objects.
- Adjust the position of the control handle for maximum ease of operation.
- Make sure that the cutting line spool or blade does not touch the ground when the engine is started.
- Use the product only during daylight hours or in good artificial light.
- Be careful when pulling the starter rope to avoid unintentional engine starting. Keep the user and the product in a stable position when starting the engine. Follow the instructions described in “Starting the Engine”.
- Use the product only if it is in good condition. Use the product only for its intended purpose.
- Do not step too far away from the product.
- Always stand in a stable position. Always hold the control handles firmly with both hands.
- If the product is equipped with a shoulder strap, you must use it when working.
- Keep hands, face and feet away from moving parts of the machine. Never touch or try to stop the trimmer line reel or cutter blade while the product is running.
- Do not touch the engine or muffler. These parts become very hot during operation and remain hot for some time after stopping the engine.
- Do not set the engine RPM higher than necessary to cut the grass and do not operate the machine at high RPM without load.
- Do not use high engine revolutions if you do not mow.
- Always stop the engine if you do not use it for a while or if you move from one area to another.
- If you hit foreign objects, stop the motor immediately and check the product for damage. Do not restart the engine until all damage has been corrected. Do not use the product if parts or accessories are damaged or missing. Always stop the product’s engine before servicing, repairing, replacing the trimmer line reel or cutting blade. Disconnect the high-voltage cable from the spark plug.
- Use only original spare parts recommended by the manufacturer. Original spare parts are available from an Authorized Service Center.
- The use of non-original spare parts and accessories can cause serious personal injury and damage to the product. In this case, the warranty will not apply.
- Clean the machine immediately after use. Mowing residue or other debris can remain between the filament cassette or cutter blade and the blade guard.
- Replace a defective muffler to reduce the risk of fire. Clean grass residue, grease and carbon deposits from the surface of the engine and muffler.
- Have repairs and maintenance performed by a qualified, authorized service center.
From the drill
The simplest mower is made from a drill or electric screwdriver in a matter of minutes. But you must first make a knife out of a sharpened metal plate with a hole drilled in the center. A bolt is inserted into this hole and clamped with a nut.
Since the drill with this attachment does not have a protective cover, such a tool is quite dangerous for the user. To protect yourself, you can place the drill, as well as an angle grinder (this was mentioned above), on a shovel cutter or aluminum tube.
Also, to protect the user of the mower from the blades, a blade guard can be attached to the drill (attached to a plastic tube, and put on the body of the machine).
The drill is attached to the boom with clamps.
From a chainsaw
Many different attachments have already been invented for the chainsaw, expanding the capabilities of this unit, for example, a cultivator, a drill, a boat motor, as well as the attachment for a grass cutter. How it looks, you can see in this video. In case you want to make a grass trimmer out of a chainsaw, the maximum you can do is lawnmower on wheels. Since the engine unit is heavy enough, and to apply the above options for making trimmers (with the lower arrangement of the drive) to it will not work.
That’s why the cart is made first. It can be welded from 25×25 mm angle. The size of the frame should be 500×600 mm. The wheels are attached to the corners of the frame.
When installing the cart handle, care must be taken to ensure that it does not overlap the starter (starter).
the gasoline engine is mounted (screwed through the tire mounting holes) on the frame so that the gearbox is rotated 90 degrees and the shaft is at the bottom.
Now all that remains is to fasten it to the shaft of the machine cutting tool. This is done in the following way.
- To “star” apparatus necessary to weld a small piece of pipe length of 80 mm and a diameter of 50 mm. It is better to cut the pipe on a lathe so that the ends are perfectly flat.
- Next, find a pipe with a slightly larger diameter. equal to 58 mm. It should also be cut to a length of 80 mm. So you get a telescopic shaft, which is connected with 2 bolts (m6) facing each other. The bolts must necessarily have locknuts. The diagram below shows how the head of the grass trimmer is made, which serves to fix the cutting tool.
You need to make a few holes in the telescopic tubes, so you can adjust the height of the blades above the ground.
It is better to make the blade in such a construction, as in the following picture.
Due to the fact that the movable blades are riveted to the disc, they will simply bounce off when encountering a rock or dry branch. This protects the shaft and gearbox from damage that can occur if the tool jams.
The rivets that hold the blades to the disk must be metal.
The disc diameter (made of 4 mm sheet steel) should be 180 mm. The blades are made of 30 mm wide and 120 mm long strips, cut with an angle grinder from a wood saw blade.
How to Remove the Protective Cover from the Grass Trimmer
the grass trimmer has a cutting blade and a blade guard that can partially enclose the blade. The protective cover includes a main body and a slide designed to be removably attached to the main body. One of the parts, including the main body or the sliding part of the guard, is provided with a locking member, and the other part is provided with a locking opening made to receive the engagement of the locking section from the inside and open the occupied section from the outside. The clamp hole is sized to allow the tool to pass through, but prevents the finger from passing through. Accordingly, very few tools are required to disengage the sliding part. The result is more reliable mounting and safer use. 2 г. to n.э. and 4 pg. F-lie, 10 sore.
The present invention relates to a trimmer and a protective cover for the trimmer.
Well-known grass trimmer that trims grass and bushes. The grass trimmer is provided with a rotating cutting blade and a protective cover which partially covers the cutting blade. In this type of trimmer, when the cutter blade is replaced with a blade of a different size and/or type, the size of the blade guard does not match the blade, and the cutter blade may touch the blade guard or the cutter blade. Can protrude more than is required from the blade guard.
Regarding the difficulties described above, in the publication of Japanese Patent Application 001-333616 and Pat. US 4864728 describes a grass trimmer designed so that a portion of the guard is removed. In this trimmer, the protective housing is provided with a main body and a sliding portion, and the size of the protective housing can be adjusted by attaching and detaching the sliding portion. In other words, you can enlarge the protective cover by attaching the expandable part, and you can reduce the protective cover by detaching the expandable part. Alternatively, it is also possible to resize the protective housing by replacing the attached sliding part.
A conventional protective cover has a design in which the sliding part can simply be attached and detached without the use of a tool. If this design is chosen, for example, when the protective housing collides with an external element, the sliding part can accidentally come off and user operation can be blocked. over, in some countries and/or regions, a design that allows the removable part to be removed without the use of tools may be prohibited by law.
Because of these circumstances, a design may be proposed that secures the sliding part with screws or bolts. By choosing this design, it can be firmly attached to the sliding part to prevent the sliding part from unintentionally detaching. But the screws or bolts can be loosened by shock and vibration, and the result is a whole new problem from which the screws or bolts can fall out. In addition, a design that uses screws or bolts requires tools to install the sliding part, and is time-consuming, causing unnecessary inconvenience to the user.
In view of the foregoing prior art, the present disclosure discloses a grass trimmer body to which a sliding part can simply be attached, and the attached sliding part cannot fall out.
the grass trimmer contains a cutting blade and a protective cover, made with the ability to partially cover the cutting blade. The protective housing includes a main body and a sliding part which is removably attached to the main body, and the sliding part is made without the need for any tool to attach it to the main body, but only one tool is required to detach it. from the main body. According to this trimmer, the user can simply attach the sliding part without using a tool. When installed, the sliding part is securely attached to the main body and cannot be detached without the use of a tool. Electronic grass trimmer with different coil design, how to remove the protective cover. Consequently, unintentional separation of the sliding part from the main body is prevented.
One of the parts, including the main body and the expandable portion of the guard, can preferably be provided with a locking portion, the other part of the parts, including the main body and the expandable portion of the guard, can preferably be provided with a clamping hole, the clamping hole preferably can be provided with a locking portion from inside and opening the clamping insertion portion from outside. Preferably, the clamping hole should be sized to allow the tool to pass through, but prevent the finger from passing through. In this trimmer, when the sliding part is attached to the main body, the insertion clasp may cling to the clamping hole when passively deformed. Getting started with the gas trimmer and removing the protective cover c. How to remove the grass trimmer head and change how to remove and disassemble for hunters and Champions. This requires no tools. When disengaging the sliding part from the main body, the clamping part, which is secured by the clamping hole, must be pressed with the tool to disengage it. In other words, the sliding part cannot be disengaged without using a tool. According to this design, a separate connecting element such as a pin is not required, and problems such as loss of a connecting element of this type can be avoided.
Preferably, if the sliding portion is adapted to attach to the main body by sliding in one radial direction relative to the main body and detaches from the main body by sliding in another radial direction relative to the main body, the inserted portion may be located on an end portion in one radial direction of the main body or an end portion in another radial direction of the expandable portion. According to this design, the area where the attachment portion contacts the main body or the expandable portion when the expandable portion slides against the main body can be reduced. In other words, the area where the resistance due to latch contact can be reduced.
About how Pasha guarded my kolkhoz in my garage.
The drive unit 70 is the drive unit for the cutting blade 22 and includes the motor, gearbox and control circuit. The drive unit 70 is connected to the cutting blade 22 of the cutting unit 20 by means of the rotating shaft described above. The actuator 70 is electrically actuated by the battery 80 and activates the cutting blade 22 of the cutting unit 20, causing the shaft to rotate.
The hinged handle 62, safety rod 64, and handle 66 are located on the work post 60. The pivoting handle 62 is attached to the intermediate portion of the work post 60. The pivoting handle 62 continues as a hinge on the top side of the stool 60. The hinged handle 62 is formed by a bend of the tubular element. Attached to the work post 60 in a direction intersecting the longitudinal direction of the work post 60. Handle 66 is secured between hinge handle 62 and drive assembly 70. The handle 66 is provided along the work post 60. The handle 66 provides a trigger switch 68 which is user actuated.
Typically, the user holds the grass trimmer 10 by holding the loop hand 62 with the left hand and holding the handle 66 with the right hand. Installation of the spool with the spool 17 removed, as if the safety guard could be closed. In this case, the cutting unit 20 is positioned in front of the user, the drive unit 70 is positioned behind the user, and the work stand 60 is positioned to the right of the user. The user can cut bushes growing on the ground by moving the rotating cutting blade 22 left and right above the ground. Cutting blade 22 is actuated and stopped by trigger switch 68 on handle 66.
Protective rod 64 extends to one side of work stand 60. The protective rod 64 is positioned adjacent to the hinge handle 62 and is positioned in front of the user when the user is holding the grass trimmer 10. The safety bar 64 prevents cutting. unit 20 approaches the user when the grass trimmer 10 experiences a large reaction force example. Safety 64 is not absolutely necessary.
The construction of the protective housing 30 will be further described in detail. As shown in FIG. 2 and 3, the main body 40 of the protective housing 30 has a top surface section 40a which is attached to the working support 60, and a peripheral wall section 40b which continues around the perimeter of the top surface section 40a. The sliding portion 50 of the protective housing 30 is attached to the lower end of the peripheral wall portion 40b of the main housing 40.
As shown in FIG. 2, Fig. 3 and Fig. 6, the head portion 40 is formed by a guide portion 42 which extends in a circular direction. How to remove the grass trimmer head and how to remove and disassemble the reel. Before opening. This guide portion 42 extends along the lower end of the peripheral wall portion 40b. On the other hand, a plurality of receiving guide sections 52 which move in contact with the guide portion 42 are formed in the expandable portion 50. This is a plurality of receiving guide rails 52 arranged in a circular direction along the upper end of the expandable element. Part. section 50. Consequently, the expandable part 50 is supported with the ability to move relative to the main body 40 as shown in FIG. 4 and Figs. 5. The sliding portion 50 is attached to the main body 40 by sliding in one circular direction relative to the main body 40 (direction D1 shown in FIG.4) and is detached from the main body 40 by sliding in another circular direction toward the main body. 40 (direction D2 shown in Fig. 4).
As shown in FIG. 5, a cutting portion 32 is provided on the expandable section 50. The cutting portion 32 cuts off the end of the nylon mowing line 22a. How to remove the reel of the Makita Um3830 grass trimmer | The cutting blade 22 according to this embodiment has a built-in reel on which the nylon line for the trimmer 22a is wound, and a button 22b is located on the bottom surface that unwinds the nylon line for the trimmer 22a. The cutting blade 22 is positioned such that the nylon wire 22a unwinds to a predetermined length when the button 22b is pressed when the cutting blade 22 rotates. The user can therefore unwind the new nylon wire 22a by pushing the cutting blade 22b button 22 to the ground when the nylon wire 22a leaves during operation. In this case, the front end of the nylon mowing line 22a is cut by the cutting blade 32 and the nylon nozzle 22a is adjusted to an appropriate length.
FIGURE. 7 shows an enlarged view of area VII in Fig. 3 and Fig. 8. An enlarged view of area VIII in FIG. 5. Fig. 9. Sectional view along mowing line IX-IX in Fig. 5. 7 and FIG. 10. sectional view along the mowing line X-X in FIG. 7. As shown in Fig. 7, Figs. 8, Fig. 9 and in FIG. 10, the retaining portion 54 is formed on the expandable portion 50 of the protective housing 30, and the closing aperture 44, which accepts the engagement of the retaining portion 54, is formed in the main body 40 of the protective housing 30. In the protective housing 30, the protruding portion 54 of the expanding portion 50 contacts the locking opening 44 of the main body 40 when the expanding portion 50 is attached to the main body 40, thereby permanently locking the expanding portion 50 against the main body about 40 (see. Fig. 7, Fig. 9 and Fig. 10). When the latch portion 54 disengages from the engagement hole 44, the expandable portion 50 becomes movable relative to the main body 40, and the expandable portion 50 can disengage from the main body 40 (see. Fig. 8).
The closing hole 44 is formed on the guide portion 42 of the main body 40. On the other hand, the expanding clamp portion 54, part 50, is located on the inner side of the guide portion 42 and is engaged with the closing hole 44 on the inner side. As shown in Fig. 9, an inclined surface 58 is formed on the mounting portion 54. In addition, the sloping surface 48 is also formed on the main body 40. When the sliding portion 50 is attached to the main body 40, the sliding portion 50 slides in one circular direction relative to the main body 40 (right in FIG. 9). In this case, because of the mutual contact between the inclined surfaces 48 and 58, the protruding section 54 passively undergoes an elastic deformation and moves toward the inner surface of the guide part 42. As the sliding part 50 slides further, the slide 54 slides along the inner surface of the guide part 42 engages with the hole 44. Generally, the protective cover is locked and removed. The blade should be removed from the grass trimmer. The front surfaces of the reciprocating motion of the clamping section 54 and the clamping hole 44 are perpendicular to the sliding direction of the expanding part 50. Consequently, sliding movement of the expanding part 50 is prevented, and the expanding part 50 is secured relative to the main body. 30. The sliding part 50 is easy to attach to the main body 40 without tools.
How to make an electric grass trimmer with your own hands from a vacuum cleaner or other power tool
With the issue of accurate and fast grass mowing near the fence of the summer house I faced long ago, when I had to learn how to use an ordinary scythe. Lithuanian.
I thought at once that it would be nice to buy a simple lawnmower, which at that time was not easy. So I decided to experiment with a home-made design.
As a result, I gained practical experience in mowing the grass, thanks to which I managed to buy a grass trimmer, which suits my needs well.
Based on the knowledge gained, I express advice to the domestic master as his hands make an electric trimmer for grass out of used equipment on the basis of the electric motor from a vacuum cleaner, drill or angle grinder with pictures, diagrams and photos, allowing to repeat a similar design.
Please note that my lawn mower was assembled by hand from the most accessible materials. Its attachment was made to work reliably without any design conditions, but with the requirements of basic safety. So do not judge harshly for the unpresentable appearance of the design.
I will start with this section to remind you that any homemade lawn mower design can cause damage to your health. This requirement is especially relevant for:
Grass trimmer electrical hazards
Electricity does not think about your health. It creates a path for the current to flow where it’s given the best conditions and less electrical resistance. You can get an electric shock even from random things: clothing, surrounding objects, a standing car. There’s nothing strange about it. We must take care of ourselves, use the means of protection.
When creating an electric trimmer for grass with your own hands, immediately pay attention to the strength and quality of insulation of all current-carrying parts both inside the motor and on the outer circuit. They must be installed by a competent person.
During operation, a homemade grass trimmer is necessary:
All three of these devices should be checked. They must meet safety requirements in terms of technical characteristics, settings, be properly adjusted.
The dangers of mechanical circuitry
Collector motors have very high rotational speeds. In vacuum cleaners, they can range from 11,000 to 30,000 rpm. It is enough for a small stone, piece of wire or wood chips to fly out from under the cutting head like a bullet from a rifle.
The difference will be that the direction of the bullet is chosen by the sniper, and the pebble from the lawnmower. case. It is impossible to predict where it will fly. That’s why it’s necessary when working:
- ensure a stable body position, which is a general safety requirement for all tools;
- Protect yourself with thick clothing made of natural cotton fabrics or jeans;
- Wear sturdy shoes on your feet, not open sandals;
- Use goggles or face shield.
Lawn mower made from an electric motor from a vacuum cleaner
- collector motor;
- The unit’s mounting on the wooden rod has been damaged;
- a homemade cutter blade;
- of the support wheel;
- switch buttons;
- protective covers.
As the basis for the design of lawnmower taken collector motor from an old vacuum cleaner from Soviet times on the 300-watt brand “Buran”. From its intended use had to be abandoned after, as a result of prolonged use began to wear out various gaskets, disturbed air movement. I’m tired of fixing the emerging fistulas, affecting the pressure and suction, so I bought a replacement.
An exterior view of the assembled grass trimmer from the motor side is shown in the photo. Since it is no longer in use, it is covered with rust, and the remains of grass clippings have long dried up and remained stuck to all parts. I am much more comfortable working with the factory design.
The motor did not have to be reworked at all. Just using an electric drill, a vice and a hacksaw for metal made a few fasteners and protective covers. In the next picture the hood cut out of the plastic bottle, covering the brush knot, is raised.
You can hardly see the work knife in this picture, but you can see it above.
To make it clearer, I lifted the protective cover with my finger and showed a close-up of the motor from the brush side. Here, all factory-assembled parts are still in good working order.
On the opposite side, the factory-mounted condenser is still running.
Attachment of all parts of the homemade grass trimmer is made on a dried wooden stick without any treatment. I drilled some fixing holes in it, and screwed down some parts, like the handle bracket with a piece of wire.
All these connections can be seen in different pictures.
Homemade blade for grass
Remarkably, when I took off the impeller of the fan, I saw: the free place on the rotor shaft is ideal for mounting the homemade blade. Even the nut and gasket did not have to be adjusted.
At first I tried to attach a wire of different diameters to the shaft. It started to cut the grass normally, but it cut off very quickly. Its structure cannot withstand the mechanical loads of breaking and bending developed by high engine speeds and oncoming grass. That’s why trimmer manufacturers produce different varieties of fishing line.
The way of making a lawn mower
I made a blade for a homemade grass trimmer using the following technique:
How to make a trimmer for grass with their own hands from an angle grinder, vacuum cleaner, drill, chain saw
All owners of homestead plots face the problem of mowing the grass, which grows literally before your eyes, and during the season you need to improve your plot several times. The usual manual scythe has long been replaced by benzotrimmers and electric trimmers. But the price for them is not reduced and is quite tangible for many owners of cottages and private houses. Folk craftsmen have still found a way out of this situation and learned to do with their own hands trimmers for grass literally from improvised means, using benzo-and electric tools, not designed for these purposes.
From the angle grinder
Most often, self-made electric trimmer for grass is made on the basis of an ordinary angle grinder, which is available to every home master. This tool is almost ideal for the remake in the trimmer for grass. It has more power than store-bought devices and a higher number of revolutions per minute. In addition, regular nut, used in the angle grinder for fixing discs, already has holes through which it is easy to insert the fishing line for the trimmer (cord).
So, there are many options from what to make a rod (holder). The easiest one is a longer wooden tool holder than the one for the shovel. An angle grinder is attached to the end of it at the desired angle with an ordinary scotch tape. The line for the trimmer is inserted into the 2 holes of the nut, and then it is screwed. This gives you a grass trimmer in a few minutes, so you can mow with it without any problems.
For safe operation of the homemade machine, you can improve it by making a protective cover (how to do this will be discussed later).
For advanced craftsmen who have a welding machine, you can advise a more advanced design for fixing angle grinder and safety guard. It is made of an aluminum tube (serves as a holder) and a metal square profile. Looking at the picture below, you can understand the principle of making the holder.
angle grinder is fixed on the holder with bolts inserted into the holes that are designed to attach the handle to the machine.
The following photo shows how this construction looks like from below.
By the way, the holes for attaching the handle can be screwed and the holder itself (rod), when you want to make a simple trimmer for grass, which is easily assembled and just as easily dismantled, if you need to use an angle grinder on its direct purpose.
To make it more convenient to hold the grass trimmer in hand during work, and it did not rotate around the axis of the boom, you can attach a side handle made from a bent tube to it.
From a vacuum cleaner
The grass trimmer from a vacuum cleaner motor is made on the same principle as the angle grinder. The motor must be fixed on the boom, and on the motor shaft to fix either knives or a plastic or metal disk, in which to insert a fishing line for the trimmer. The top of the cutting tool is closed with a protective cover.
To prevent dust and small particles of grass clippings from getting into the motor removed from the vacuum cleaner, it can also be hidden in a plastic cover made from a sewer pipe, as shown in the following photo.
Since the motor in the vacuum cleaner is high-speed, it needs to be cooled. Therefore, it is recommended to insert a homemade disc with cut and bent blades under the washer, in which the line for the trimmer is inserted, so that it acts as a fan to create a vacuum. This is needed so that air can be sucked in through the hose from above to cool the motor.
In order to lighten the load on the mower operator’s hands, the machine can be mounted on a platform with wheels. In that case you already have something similar to a lawnmower.
You can also use either a pulley with a suitable socket or a plastic wheel from a shopping cart to hold the fishing line.
From a drill
The easiest mower can be made in no time from a drill or electric screwdriver. But first you have to make the blade from a sharpened metal plate with a hole in the center. A bolt is inserted into this hole and secured with a nut.
Since the drill with this attachment does not have a protective cover, such a tool is quite dangerous for the user. To protect yourself, you can place the drill, like an angle grinder (mentioned above), on a shovel or aluminum pipe.
Also, to protect the user of the mower from the blades, a guard can be attached to the drill (attached to a plastic tube, and put on the body of the machine).
The drill is attached to the boom with clamps.
From a chain saw
Many different attachments have already been invented for the chainsaw, expanding the capabilities of this unit, for example, a cultivator, a drill, a boat motor, as well as a mower attachment for grass. How it looks, you can see in this video. In case you want to make a trimmer for grass from a chainsaw, the maximum that you can do is a lawnmower on wheels, as the unit’s engine is heavy enough, and to apply the above options for making trimmers (with the lower drive location) to it will not work.
When to use knives
When using brushcutters on country sites, the most popular attachment is a fishing line for trimmers. It has a low price, it is suitable for different trimmer heads, it is safe when working. The disadvantage of using a fishing line is that it is only useful for cutting back small items of foliage. In other situations, the string is immediately clogged, regardless of whether gasoline or electric grass trimmer model is used. In addition, vegetation winds up on the spindle, which creates significant resistance on the shaft and leads to its breakage. It can also cause the piston system in chain saws to fail or the engine in electric trimmers to burn out.
That’s why different attachments are used for mowing tall or tough vegetation. So, for cleaning tall and rough grass, thin shoots of trees and shrubs, it is better to install and use a disc. This nozzle is clogged much less often, which contributes to the greater durability of the equipment.
A side note! Because the engine of electric and battery-powered models is less powerful than that of petrol mowers, therefore, the discs are more appropriate for petrol mowers.
Special features of discs for brushcutters
Blade discs are available in plastic and metal, and in various shapes to perform a variety of tasks.
- Two-, three- and four-blade blades with distinctive blades are used for cutting grass and brushwood. However, they are not suitable for making hay because they shred the shoots by chopping them several times.
- Massive four-blade discs are not just for clearing the ground from the grass, but also for cutting hay. They prevent the shoots from being repeatedly cut, thus making them suitable for harvesting for the winter.
- Discs with cutting edges on all sides are good for mowing reeds and rushes. These knives are very heavy. a necessary quality for cutting thick stems.
- Professional saw blades for brushcutters and brush cutters are suitable for cutting small trees and shrubs.
Plastic blades are used as an alternative to metal discs. They do not need to be firmly fastened in the head, and they rotate as a result of centrifugal force. The strength of plastic blades is high, so the service life is long enough.
Please note! The advantage of plastic discs is that, having hit an insurmountable obstacle, they bounce, and there is no re-contact.
Also in the electrical equipment can be punctured ignition coil. In this case, the lawnmower does not start or starts intermittently and then shuts down or does not start on “hot” condition at all.
To check the coil condition, you can do the same way as when checking the spark: unscrew the spark plug, lean it against the body of the trimmer for grass. If you get no spark or only sparks when you pull the starter, change the spool.
If everything is alright with the electrics, let’s check the carburettor.
On grass trimmers put vacuum carburetors. When disassembling, cleaning or washing it, you should be very attentive. in no case dismantle the lower part of the carburetor, where the primer is. The air filter (it is visible if you remove the protective cover from the carburetor) should be washed with detergents. The best one is for washing. After drying it, we put it back. Wash the carburettor with clean gasoline and blow out all the holes with a pump. Wash the fuel line filter also, then dry and assemble everything. Usually after all these manipulations the weed trimmer starts working.
Use a fine cord instead of a fishing line: is it worth it on your brushcutter??
This thought comes to mind almost everyone who has mowed 10 acres overgrown with tall grass. At first glance, it seems like a good idea. The cable is stronger than the fishing line, it doesn’t wear out as much. But it’s not that simple.
The power drive in any gasoline trimmer is an internal combustion engine. Its rotational power is transferred by means of a rigid or flexible shaft to a cutting element, a spool with a cord (fishing line) or a special blade. The shaft is located inside a metal rod with an engine and fuel tank on one end and the cutting head on the other end. The middle part of the boom has a handle. Most often it is located keys, buttons and switches, which are used to control the operation of the grass trimmer.
The layout of the controls may vary somewhat depending on the tool model, but as a rule, this includes the engine shutoff button, the throttle key to control the carburetor throttle, and the stopper of this key in the pressed state, which facilitates control at high volumes of work.
Gearbox. 2. Trimmer head. 3. Protective cap. 4. Gas lever stop button. 5. Switch.
throttle lever. 7. Handle. 8. throttle lever stop. 9. Stick. 10. Belt Carabiner Attachment Loop.
Air filter. 12. spark plug. 13. Engine housing. 14. Exhaust manifold. 15. Gasoline tank. 16. Starter.
Lawn trimmer gasoline design. Lawn mower design and common malfunctions
The easiest way to give a lawnmower for repair, allocating a certain amount of money from the family budget, prompt and quality repair with their own hands are no less simple and convenient if you want to understand the design of lawnmowers and fix all the problems.
Mass and piece production of trimmers is based on the use of generally accepted technology, the typical design scheme consists of certain elements and parts, it is important to know them when carrying out independent repair work:
- top part. The base of the entire structure, where all the important elements are assembled, such as the starter, carburetor and lawn trimmer engine;
- middle part. Hollowed boom, inside the boom is a rope that connects the engine and the gearbox, which drives the trimmer’s cutting line. In this part there are mounts to distribute the weight of the entire structure and a belt for fixing the grass trimmer on the belt of the person using the grass trimmer for its intended purpose;
- underside. It contains the gearbox and cutting elements, which are hidden under a practical cover that protects the user. The housing ensures an increased level of safety by preventing coarse debris, stones and glass from getting into the person operating the lawn mower.
Knowing precisely the internal structure and the principle of operation of the grass trimmer it is possible to carry out repair measures for the construction or replacement of individual units that have become unusable, using the instructions for repair.
The most common and common self-correctable machine breakdowns include the following problems
- engine malfunctions which cause the lawnmower not to start and does not run
- increased vibration of the brushcutter’s boom, making it hard to use as intended;
- increased overheating of the gearbox, its accelerated heating during operation;
- Slow and weak functioning of the cutting line at insufficient RPM;
- clogging of the starter grid, causing overheating of the engine and its failure to operate;
- rapid and frequent clogging of the carburetor due to the use of low-quality fuel;
- clogging of the air filter if the machine is not maintained properly.
All these problems can lead to the fact that the device will lose its ability to work, before ordering the necessary spare parts for beznokosa should conduct a visual inspection and diagnosis of the device.
Separate spare parts and aggregates of the device require special attention, for their checking it is not necessary to turn to a professional technician, a set of diagnostic measures will help to identify the cause of the loss of performance with your own hands.