How to repair a trimmer starter
How to repair a starter on a trimmer with your own hands. How to disassemble and assemble the starter, wind the spring and replace the cord.
How to repair a trimmer starter
Petrol trimmer starter repair may be required at the most inopportune moment. In this case, the problem can be solved in two ways: replace the broken part or change the entire unit. The latter option is more expensive. To repair the device with your own hands, in most cases, you only need a screwdriver with the appropriate tip from the tools. Repair work does not take much time and does not require special knowledge. It is enough to know the device, the principle of operation, the nuances of assembling and disassembling the starter on the trimmer in order to achieve the desired positive result.
After installing the spring, tighten it. To do this, perform the following actions:
- Remove the handle from the starter cord;
- Then the rope is inserted into the reel groove;
- Tension the spring by rotating the coil in the opposite direction to the clockwise direction (winding);
- Make the required number of revolutions specified in the operating instructions for the trimmer used and corresponding to the length of the cord used;
- At the very end, the rope is threaded into the hole intended for this, located in the starter cover;
- Put the handle in place, fixing it with a knot.
If, after repair, the spring continues to fly off, then you can get rid of it in the following ways:
- Squeeze a piece of the plate suitable in size into the groove at the location of the spring hook;
- Drill holes on both sides of the groove in the spool, into which to insert the spring hook and fix it with a wire.
The assembly of the starter unit is carried out in a number of stages:
- The coil is turned over, setting it so that the spring bend fits exactly into the groove of the body, as in the photo below;
- Two washers are laid, between which a spring is placed;
- Put in place the cup with the antennae;
- Tighten the screw (photos below).
When doing the described manipulations, it is imperative to put two washers. If this is not done, then the spring will damage the plastic cup over time, and when it is pulled, wedging will begin. Because of this, there is a feeling as if the spring has flown off. To eliminate this drawback, you need to install this part of a greater length or an additional washer.
When such parts are not available, you can simply unscrew the screw a little, and the starter unit will start working without wedging. But this option is temporary – it is better to repair it with high quality as soon as possible.
How to repair a trimmer starter
One of the key components of a lawn mower is the starter, which is designed to make starting the engine of the device easier. Like other parts, it breaks down periodically. In this case, there are two solutions to the problem: repair of the trimmer starter or its complete replacement. The second option is simpler, but more expensive. In addition, the required part must first be found on the market as different starters are used for different mower models. If you have free time and a screwdriver with a suitable tip, you can restore the operation of this unit yourself if you know how it works, what malfunctions are typical for it, and how to fix them correctly. All this is in this material.
Removing and disassembling the node
The order of disassembling the starter consists in performing a certain sequence of actions:
- First you need to find the screw connecting the starter cover to the pulley and unscrew it;
- Then you need to remove the spring, antennae and washers;
- Then you should carefully remove the pulley, keeping the structure away from your face so that the accidentally bouncing spring does not injure the user;
- Then you need to inspect the spring: if it is damaged, then you need to put a new one (the cost of such a part is low), and if it jumped out of the hook, you need to return it to its original place, having previously made bends if they broke off.
Sooner or later, problems with the starter arise on any trimmer – Stihl FS 55, MTD 790 or another brand. It is possible to delay the appearance of such a malfunction, but for this you need to handle the instrument with care. In particular, you should not make too sharp jerks, this will lead to a break in the cord or to a spring out. It is not recommended to subject the lawnmower to impacts or other physical influences. If the starter housing breaks and the cord breaks, it could wind up around the engine flywheel. This will result in a ripped pulley and a bursting spring.
So, having found that the starter mechanism has broken on the lawn mower, you should not rush to get help from specialists right away. Knowing how to fix the malfunction and / or replace the part, you can perform the repair work yourself. This does not require any specific tool. At first, the procedure may seem complicated and tedious, but numerous on the Internet devoted to repairing a starter will help to solve the problem as quickly and simply as possible.
If the magneto does not spark at all, the main cause is an open circuit in one of the transformer circuits (primary or secondary). The defective part must be replaced to repair the mower. If the primary circuit is shorted to ground, it can also cause no spark. You need to fix it to fix the problem.
Before starting to diagnose magneto, you need to make sure that the problem is actually in this node. To do this, you need to check the entire chain and make sure that there are no other reasons for the breakage of the trimmer.
- First, you should carefully inspect the coil for cracks and other external defects on the case. Next, you need to examine all the elements and nodes that conduct current, and make sure that they are clean.
- The next step is to inspect the high voltage wires. They must be in good working order and securely attached to the contacts, free from rust and with intact insulation.
- The next step is to check the plug cap. As a result of careless actions, the user often tears it off the high-voltage wire, and then improvises and creates a homemade mount. You need to understand that any poor-quality connection in this place significantly reduces the power of the electric arc of the candle.
- Then you should make sure that the candle itself is in good working order. Filling the mower with poor quality gasoline will significantly reduce the life of this part. In addition, it may be flooded or have a large carbon deposit that interferes with operation. Sometimes the candle even sticks and doesn’t twist off.
- Next, you need to inspect the circuit breaker. On trimmers and chainsaws made in China, it often breaks.
After completing all these steps and excluding the listed nodes from the list of possible causes of failure, you should proceed to checking the coil. This can be done in several ways.
Disassembling the magneto is very simple. First you need to remove this device from the engine and clean it, removing oil particles and dirt.. Further, since the ignition timing machine is securely fastened, you need to unscrew the nut, and then remove the part and pull the key out of the groove. The cover is fixed with four screws; to remove it, you need to unscrew and remove the fasteners. Then you need to pull out the magneto rotor from the case, unscrew the pins holding the transformer and get it out. And to collect the magneto, you need to follow the steps described above in reverse order.
How to repair a gasoline tool starter with your own hands?
In the case of a break in the starter cord, everything is clear: we take out the old rope, take the one that is suitable in length and thickness (linen can be used), pass it through the hole in the reel, tie a knot. Next, we charge the spring to the number of revolutions we need, only after which we fix the handle – and voila! details on how all this is done is clearly shown below.
DIY gas drill starter repair, lawn mowers, trimmer
Today, we will consider the most common case when the breakdown is not so serious and show how to repair the starter with our own hands if the cord breaks off without any destructive consequences or does not wind up due to the fact that the spring inside just flew off, out of engagement. At least initially I want to believe in it. But in order to find out whether this is true or not, you need to disassemble the starter.
Installing or replacing the starter spring for lawn mowers, motor-drill, trimmer
But what if everything is in order with the rope, and the reel (pulley) of the starter does not unwind? Let’s consider this issue step by step using the example of the starter of the gasoline ADA GroundDrill motor drill, which has a pulley with two metal antennae for 2 hooks.
In the case of other types of manual starters of a similar design, which are widely used in gasoline lawn mowers, trimmers and motor-drills, the whole process of repairing a starter will look similar, differing only in some nuances.