The chainsaw will not start. see why and how
To ensure that the saw does not shoot, sneeze, grip well when starting, serve long and do not break down, it is necessary to adhere to the following rules of operation:
- Read the instruction manual carefully before you start your chainsaw.
- Check chain tension. Don’t let the chain slacken, but you don’t want it to be stretched too much. The fuel mixture must be fresh and stored for no more than 2 weeks. Adjust your proportions when mixing oil and gasoline.
- Hold the saw steady and firm, but always in a comfortable driving position.
- Do not use for long periods of time without breaks.
- If the model is equipped with a primer, pump the fuel before starting.
- Check chain for sharpness. Don’t let it get too dull. Sharpening the cutting attachment according to the sharpening instructions.
- Clean sawdust and shavings from the saw after each use. Detergents should be chosen individually.
- Strictly follow chain saw storage rules. Be especially careful when storing it for long periods.
How to start the chainsaw?
Most European models have similar starter system and similar working mechanism. Exception: older, domestically made chainsaws (Ural, Lesnik). There is a handle on the body, through which a cord is passed. If you lift it up, the cable hitches to the ratchet drum, several revolutions of the crankshaft occur. At the same time, the fuel is ejected and ignited by the spark plug, after which the chainsaw starts. The following mechanisms can be implemented in quality chainsaw models to simplify starting:
- installation of a choke in the carburetor for pre-enrichment of the fuel mixture;
- A decompression valve that reduces the working pressure in the engine cylinder;
- spring, which during the movement of the cord makes it easier to unwind the crankshaft;
- additional pump for fuel priming (usually found on American manufacturers).
the starter is subjected to dynamic loads all the time. Because of this, it can break down at any time during startup. If you use your saw a lot, it’s a good idea to service it at least once a year. Changing the cord in the starter is recommended only by two people, as it is necessary to securely fix the spring.
How to start the chainsaw?
After preparing the tool for sawing and filling the fuel tank you can start the engine. Remember that after purchase the chainsaw requires running-in. starting at idle speed, cutting wood (up to 10 cm in diameter) at medium speed. Foreign models reach full power after 5-7 tanks, older domestic saws run-in with partial load for 24 hours (3-4 full refills). During this period it is strictly forbidden to heat the engine, allow it to run continuously at idle speed or subject it to heavy loads when sawing.
The Champion 240 comes preassembled in the stores, except for the saw part, which you will need to install by yourself. If you adhere to the assembly instructions, you can perform this task yourself.
At the first startup the fuel tank should be filled with oil at a ratio of 1:25 oil to gasoline. In future use, the saw needs to be filled with a 1:50 mixture.
Chain tension must be checked periodically for future use. This is usually done at each refueling and before starting work. Automatic fuel and emergency chain stop systems also require regular checks for correct operation. Do not operate your chain saw if any of the systems are out of order.
Toothed end stop is sold with the Champion chain saw, it must be installed by yourself. The end stop improves grip of the tree trunk when cutting.
Unscrew the fastening nuts and remove the chain guard, then slide the chain onto the bar with the cutting edges facing the direction of the chain. Install the bar, put the chain on the drive sprocket and install the metal toothed stop. At the end, the chain tension must be adjusted.
Champion 240 carburetor
List of quality/price oils
Lubricant for 2-stroke engines:
- Capacity 100 ml. can be purchased for 90 p., Must be added to 1:50 gasoline (20 grams of oil per liter of gasoline). This type is designed especially for STIHL chain saws. Main ingredient. minerals. Can also be used for other models by other manufacturers.
- STIHL (1 litre capacity), suitable for STIHL saws. Diluted 1:50. Mineral oil base. Price range is around 500pp.
- STIHL dispenser (1 litre). Diluted at a ratio of 1:50. Price around 600pp.
- STIHL H. P. Ultra (100 ml capacity), 1:50 ratio. Also suitable for STIHL chain saws. It is a synthetic oil. It has a high degree of lubricating benefit. Also suitable for other chainsaw models with 2-stroke engines. This lubricant costs around 120pp.
- STIHL Ultra (5 ml), 1:50 ratio between lubricant and gasoline. Mineral additive component. Manufactured directly for STIHL chain saws with 2-stroke engines. Also suitable for other. Price is 1500 r.
- STIHL H. P. Diluted at a ratio of 1 to 50, for STIHL chain saws. Can also be used for other makes. Cost 1100 p.
Chainsaw cylinder flooded /doesn’t start /won’t start /amazon salemmaster chiansaw 3816s 4216H 4216F
Step by step instruction
When the brake is activated, the assembly process is much slower, so it is still safe and more comfortable to turn on the mechanism without the use of brake equipment.
If a person is not confident in his knowledge and accuracy, the brake on the contrary should be activated. With the right order of action, the device will not start, the mechanism does not make dangerous for the person.
1 schematic diagram of a standard mechanism
- Before starting the benzoyla it is necessary to move the flap, which performs the function of the adjustment lever, downwards, compared to the optimum position. First press the button that controls the throttle. Only then can the slide valve be moved properly to the end stop at the bottom. Move the choke and hold the gas button simultaneously. The gas is set in the standard position, and the flap closes the carburetor, preparing the device for proper operation.
My Stihl chainsaw won’t start!!! Step by step diagnoses and how to repair
Our chainsaw quality rating includes all chainsaws with an optimal price-quality ratio.
Our other article will also help you make your choice in favor of this or that chainsaw brand.
Russian-made chainsaws. Low price and high quality.
2 schematic diagram of the standard mechanism. how to start the saw correctly
- Switch on ignition. To do this, it is necessary to move the toggle switch or move the switch to the right place.
- The primer usually has to be pressed more than twice. You fill it with gasoline and then you have to press the primer more than three times. Sometimes the chainsaw is not equipped with a primer, then you can skip this step.
When the device stops all the time, you need to systematically start it up again (see. What to do when the chain saw cuts out when you press the gas). After a while the engine will gain momentum and be able to maintain active operation without interruptions.
STIHL-180″ chain saws, which you should read before buying the store, have the following components: body, decompression valve, muffler, chain tensioning device, tensioning wheel, hand protection device, which is located in the back and in the front. Among other things, the tool has a back handle and a tubular handle, as well as a combination lever for shifting. The unit is equipped with a fuel lever, as well as a latch, fuel tank plug, prong, saw chain, and chain sprocket. This makes the chainsaw and brake, as well as the adjusting screw, even more convenient to operate. STIHL-180 chainsaws, whose reviews are often positive, offer periodic maintenance. We are talking about some elements, among which we should distinguish the sprocket, the chain and bar, the cylinder, the spark plugs, the carburetor and the chain lubrication system. No mention of fuel and oil tanks, levers and screws.
If the chainsaw won’t start all the same. what to do?
The main reasons why the chainsaw does not start were discussed above. This is true for STIHL, Husqvarna, Partner, Makita, Champion and other brands. Druzhba chainsaws have a different principle of operation, but in general, the search for faults should begin with the ignition system, or rather. inspection of the state of the electrodes. If the carried out manipulations do not help to obtain the desired result, it is necessary to resort to more serious actions. This means that it is necessary to perform the following actions:
- Check the condition of carburettor and perform its adjustment
- Measure the value of engine compression, and then draw a corresponding conclusion about its serviceability
- Checking compression in the crankcase
Checking the compression in the cylinder allows to estimate the condition and efficiency of the cylinder head. To measure the compression you will need a compressometer. It is screwed into the spark plug hole, and then the starter knob is jerked. The Compressometer shows the appropriate pressure value in the cylinder. It should be between 8 and 12 atmospheres.
If the pressure is significantly lower, it is a direct sign of a faulty unit. In case of failure the cylinder piston group is replaced with a new one. When installing a new cylinder-head, it is necessary to carefully treat all parts with oil, so that at the time of starting the engine no chips and scuffs are formed.
If there is no compression in the crankcase, the chainsaw will not start. The reason of pressure drop in the oil sump is the gasket, or more exactly its damage. This gasket is located between the cylinder and crankcase and the following manipulations should be performed to make sure it is in good condition:
- Disconnect the fuel line from the tank
- Dip the tube into a container with a mixture of gasoline and oil
- Start the chain saw engine
- If the engine starts and fuel is sucked in at the same time, this indicates that the gasket is serviceable
If the fuel is not sucked in, then you need to replace the crankcase gasket.
The carburetor is the most critical and complex part of a chainsaw. If all the above steps did not help to get a positive result, then it indicates that the carburetor is defective. The main failure of the carburetor is to clog its channels and jets. Less common are diaphragms and other elements. In any case, you will need to disassemble the carburetor chain saw, perform its cleaning and replacement of faulty parts.
As you can see, the reasons that the chainsaw does not start, enough. To find out what exactly happened in your case, you need to remember the symptomatology of the day before. Perhaps before the chainsaw has stopped starting, there were malfunctions in the engine, reduced power and performance, as well as other breakdowns. On the basis of these technical symptoms and it is necessary to begin the search. If you don’t know where to start, then the diagnosis should be carried out in order, as described in the article.
The chainsaw won’t start. Why? Causes and how to avoid.
Your chain saw won’t start? It can often happen at the most inopportune moment when you need to work urgently. Agree that this is unpleasant. We must admit that chainsaws from reputable manufacturers (STIHL, Husqvarna, Echo, Solo, and others) do not start much less often than from Chinese manufacturers. Today let’s discuss the causes of this unpleasant event and how to avoid it. If you can’t find your own cause among those listed, you can ask a question in the discussions.
To begin with, we need to determine whether you have a new chainsaw that won’t start or has been in use for a long time. This is necessary in order to choose corrective measures.
If your new chainsaw won’t start, then:
- If 14 days have not yet elapsed since your purchase, you may return or exchange your chain saw. This is the most sensible way out of the two. (When you buy a chain saw, always ask the salesman to start it up. This does not apply to online stores, as serious IM always check the product before sending it to the buyer.)
- If you can’t exchange your chain saw for objective reasons, or if it has been more than a couple of weeks since you bought it, the reasons are probably very serious. To be quite sure you are dealing with a chainsaw that won’t start for technical reasons, and not because of negligence, read the Instruction Manual.
- Here are some good reasons why your chain saw won’t start, and some good reasons why it doesn’t start, whether it’s new or used.
Let’s look at the reasons why the chainsaw may not start in the order of checking.
- Check the fuel in the tank and its quality. It’s only logical to say that without fuel your chain saw won’t start. So if there is no fuel, then fill it up. If fuel is left in the tank for an extended period of time (more than 3 weeks) drain it and refill it. Leaky fuel with access to oxygen rapidly loses its octane rating and becomes unsuitable for the chainsaw. Read more about fuel here: How to Dilute Gasoline for a Chainsaw? Oil Options, Ratios
- Check your chainsaw’s spark plug. first, whether it’s primed or not. If it is wet, wipe it down, blow it out and put it back in. Secondly, if there’s a spark. You can check it by unscrewing it and putting the spark plug boot on the cylinder block and pulling the starter cord. If there is a spark, then we go on to the reasons. Third, look at the condition of the spark plug. Read more about how to diagnose chain saw’s performance by the state of a spark plug here: check your chain saw’s engine by the state of the plug.
- Check the air and fuel filter. Very clogged filters can prevent the chain saw from starting. The air filter is just under the cover on top of the chain saw. Fuel is in the tank. Also check the breather plug which is in the gas tank. For diagnosis, it is best to remove them and try to run it without them.
- Inspect the muffler for any soot buildup. Read more about cleaning your silencer here: Cleaning Your Chainsaw Muffler.
- Inspect all hoses and connections. Often a loose connection or a crack in the hose can be the cause of a chainsaw not starting. The crankshaft oil seals also need to be inspected.
- Clean carburetor. It’s best to disassemble the chainsaw carburetor on a bare table, with a clean cloth. All spare parts should be laid out separately in order to facilitate assembly. Clean your carburetor with special products for cleaning injectors and nozzles, for example.
- Check the ignition system. The angle could be off, the flywheel could turn.
- If the previous measures did not help and the chainsaw still does not operate, the carburetor may need adjustment. Adjusting the carburetor on any chain saw is the same as described in the link above. The only exception is STIHL chain saws that have only one idle speed adjustment screw.
- The worst thing is when none of the above measures help. You may need to replace the cylinder block (piston group). There are three ways to check this: 1.If the piston does not move, it is better to change the cylinder. Of course you can put a new piston or bore the cylinder, but it will not give the same result as when a new cylinder stem is installed. 2.To take the chainsaw apart and do a visual inspection. 3.Remove the muffler and look at the visible part.
You can help with the chainsaw ranking by voting in the poll: “ranking chainsaws”
Why the chainsaw starts and stops
If the saw does start, but stops when you first try to do the job, the reason may be different. The cause is that the chain jams due to a lack of lubrication or a problem with the chain brake, making further operation impossible. If this occurs, check the oil level in the container. If everything is alright, it could be the tube that leads the fluid to the lubricator. The carburetor may be clogged or cracked, obstructing the flow of oil or ruptured and the oil could come out without reaching its destination. Cause. problems with the carburettor. Parts may have deteriorated and need cleaning or adjustment. Determining a breakdown in this case is quite difficult. Cleaning the carburetor is a rather complicated and monotonous task, which can not be performed by anyone. The same goes for checking the condition of its parts. This is a job best left to professionals. The only thing you can do at home (but only on certain models) is adjust it. All instructions on how to do this are in the accompanying documentation.
The last reason is banal. the low level of fuel mixture in the tank. It shows up when the chainsaw stops when tilted. The mystery is that when the fuel runs out at an incline, it collects in a certain part of the tank. When you tilt, the intake tube may be in a choke, causing the fuel to stop flowing into the chamber.