First of all, to wind the fishing line, it is required to remove the spool (bobbin, bobbin) from the grass trimmer. the specific actions will depend on the complexity of the configuration and the type of the product itself:
- Small electric grass trimmers with a working arrangement of the motor and spool in the lower part, usually have side keys on both sides of the reel. When pressed at the same time, the upper part of the spool with the internal contents for winding the fishing line is detached, while the lower part remains on the trimmer. It is advisable to disassemble the bobbin on a flat, smooth place so that the spring that is part of the construction does not pop out and get lost;
- electric and gasoline grass trimmers with a curved boom without the possibility of installing a knife, as a rule, have a spool with a special wingnut: in such designs, one hand should hold the bobbin in a fixed position, and the other counterclockwise rotate the fixing bobbin on the boom wing nut. After loosening the nut the entire bobbin can be removed.
- Electric and petrol grass trimmers with the possibility of installing a blade on a straight shaft (e.g. STIHL grass trimmers) have a hole under the bobbin. To immobilize the rod, a screwdriver or other suitable object is inserted into this hole and a slow spinning motion achieves the mutual positioning so that the screwdriver enters the hole and the bobbin is locked. After that, the spool body is twisted clockwise (with left-hand thread) and removed from the grass trimmer.
For the second and third cases, depending on the design, spools are disassembled in different ways. For reels with a wing nut, the wing nut must be unscrewed and for reels with cleats, the cleat catches must be pressed and one part of the reel is released from the other part. If the bobbin halves are connected by thread, it is enough to turn them with your hands in opposite directions until they are completely unscrewed.
Manufacturers offer 2 variants of the handle:
T-handle on models with auto-reeling line. The work is carried out with 2 hands on either side of the rod. This position is convenient for mowing large areas of vegetation. The cut is made on the principle of the grass trimmer. from one side to the other. Such a variant is not maneuverable, does not work well on a difficult terrain. Bicycle handlebars can be equipped with control buttons. Domestic types of grass trimmers have the start buttons installed on the boom.
Classic grass trimmer model with a double-sided handle, which has control buttons
Petrol trimmer with a D-handle is more maneuverable, it is convenient to mow grass in areas with difficult terrain. This tool has the arms one above the other. The disadvantage of the handle. it is difficult to hold, the management of such a device is more complicated.
Handle in the form of the English letter “J” is the most uncomfortable, so it is rarely found.
Warranty exhaustion of the factory filling grass trimmer will inevitably require a change of fishing line. Having a very rough idea of how to reel in the line trimmer for grass without helping others, newcomers do not take up this job willingly. But with some ability to master this simple science is not any difficulty, and presented below a similar annotation will greatly facilitate the process.
First, for winding line requires removing the spool (bobbin, spool) with a trimmer for grass. certain actions will depend on the difficulty of configuration and type of product itself:
- small electronic grass trimmers with the motor and reel downward are usually equipped with side buttons on both sides of the reel. When pressed simultaneously, the higher part of the spool along with the internal contents for reeling the line is disconnected, while the lower part remains on the trimmer. Disassembling the bobbin is better to create on a smooth even place, so that the spring which is part of the design does not jump out and is not lost;
- electronic and gasoline grass trimmers with a curved shaft without blade attachment usually have a reel with a special wing nut: with similar designs, hold the bobbin in place with one hand and turn the wing nut securing the bobbin to the shaft counterclockwise with the other. After undoing the nut the whole spool is removed.
- Electronic and petrol-driven grass trimmers with a blade option on a straight shaft (e.g. STIHL grass trimmers) have a hole under the reel. To immobilize the rod, a screwdriver or other suitable object is inserted into this hole and a slow rotation achieves a reciprocal placement where the screwdriver goes into the hole and the bobbin is secured. After that, the spool body is twisted clockwise (with the left-hand thread) and removed from the grass trimmer.
How to tuck the line into the grass trimmer
If the performance during mowing is reduced, the thread must be readjusted. The thread length can be optimally adjusted at any time during mowing by lightly touching (arrow) the thread head to the floor. However, this is only possible if the thread peeks out min. 3 cm.
Thread cutter (refer to the section on page 5). pp. 8, D/8) automatically cuts the thread ends that are too long If the thread ends are shorter than 3 cm, the length of the thread must be adjusted manually Press the button and pull firmly on the thread. WARNING: Cleaning the thread head, changing the thread and manually adjusting the thread length may only be performed with the motor off and the mains plug unplugged!
Inserting new thread
Always switch off the motor and unplug the mains plug before renewing the thread! Press lock (B/1) and turn body cap (B/2) as far as it will go (nose on body cap (B/3) must be in the center of the lock) Remove body cap (B/2) from body (B/4) Remove spool (B/5) from body and remove old thread residue.
How to wind the fishing line on the grass trimmer spool
The head is the main part of the grass trimmer. It is a base with a spool on which the cord is wound. In total, there are 3 types of heads:
- Manual. Allows the cord (line) to be extended manually after the engine has stopped completely.
- Semi-automatic. Its use is simple and convenient. It operates on the following principle: having waited until the grass trimmer reaches maximum revolutions, the user slightly knocks the head of the device on the ground, due to which the blocking of the line is removed. Thus, the cord moves out due to the centrifugal force, and the owner of the machine should only cut it with a knife.
- Automatic. The filament is fed after the engine speed has been reduced. Such a head turns out to be convenient in cases where there is a need to carry out prolonged work. The disadvantage of the device, in turn, is the rapid wear and tear of the cord.
Now, to figure out how to tuck the grass trimmer spool, you should pay attention to the choice of cord.
Types of trimmer heads
Grass cutter head is a cylindrical casing with a spool with a piece of fishing line (filament) set in it. This design can be installed on both gasoline and electric trimmers. Heads differ in the way of filling and filing and come in 3 types.
- Automatic. The filament feed is performed after the user has lowered the engine speed. Though automatic line feeder is convenient if high volumes of work are performed, but such bobbins have one disadvantage. high consumption of thread.
- Semi-automatic. This type of head does not require the user to perform complicated operations. The way they work, the filament is extended automatically while the machine is running at full speed. It is enough to slightly knock the grass trimmer head on the ground (this removes the cord lock), and the line thanks to the centrifugal force is pulled out of the bobbin and then cut to the desired length by the knife located on the protective cover.
- Manual. Requires the machine to stop to extend the cord, and then the line is pulled out manually.
Replacing a Weed Eater String (String Trimmer Line) | The Home Depot
Based on the above, semi-automatic bobbins are the best option. It should also be borne in mind that the grass trimmer reels for grass can be single string (used only for grass trimming) and double string, which are used for mowing tall grass and small, with thin stems of bushes.
Let’s coil the fishing line
Slowly completed disassembling of the bobbin-spool without losing its parts allows you to proceed to the main task. reeling in the fishing line. Technological features of the bobbin design and number of working eyes determine the sequence of operations.
Reel with one working strand
The easiest option and uncomplicated sequence of operations:
- Dimensions of the reel and length of the original factory reel determine the recommended length of line for reeling. 25 m.
- One end of the line is inserted into the fixing technological hole inside the bobbin.
- The line is wound on the reel in the opposite direction to the rotation of the bobbin on the trimmer, usually an arrow on the inside of the reel shows in which direction the line is wound.
- A small section of line is left free for its conclusion outside. it is fixed in a specialized groove on the inside of the bobbin, designed to hold the winding when assembling the bobbin in working condition.
- The leftover end of the fishing line is passed through the hole on the outside of the bobbin.
- The halves of the bobbin are assembled and placed on the trimmer bar.
Spool with two operating tendrils
With this type of bobbin you should determine the number of grooves for winding the line lying on the inside of the bobbin:
For both cases, a line length of 2 to 3 meters is taken. In single-strand reels the line is pulled through the through hole, its ends (tendrils) are folded together and aligned, and then reeled in the opposite direction of rotation of the reel on the rod. inside the arrow usually indicates the correct winding direction. If there are fastening grooves, the ends of the lines are pushed through or held with the fingers of the free hand, threaded through the through hole on the outer half of the bobbin, the bobbin is closed and attached to the shaft of the trimmer.
The difference of line winding in two-channel spools is that initially a 2-5 m length of line is folded in half (to determine the middle fold), and a loop of the fold is inserted in a special groove between the grooves. Both tendrils of fishing line are wound each on its own groove, fixing the tendrils and reel assembly is similar to the variant with one groove discussed above.
The first performance of this procedure may seem long and quite time-consuming, but with time and experience this task will be solved much faster and easier.
The video below will clearly show you how to tuck the fishing line into the grass trimmer reel and wind it correctly. this operation is nothing complicated and with some patience is sure to succeed:
Once the cutting filament has worn out as a result of your work, turn off the mower and remove the cover on the mowing head. Pull the fishing line out of the slot by pulling it to the desired length, and reinsert it into the slot. The amount of material wound on the spool is enough for 5-10 cycles of operation, depending on the model of the device. When you will install the cover in place, look carefully to see if the grooves where the clips are inserted are clogged, if they are clogged, carefully clean them.
When the line is worn out, you need to disassemble the mowing head again, pull out the spool and rewind the working line on it.
Grass trimmer is the most common unit used to cut grass and cut small bushes. This machine is easy to operate, easy to control during operation and, thanks to its light weight, even women can cope with it. It’s no secret that high-quality grass mowing requires the right choice of cutting tools. As the latter, trimmers use special cutting attachments (discs, knives) or trimmer heads with fishing line inside. Nozzles and fishing line are consumable tools, but while knives can be sharpened, when the line is used up, it needs to be replaced. In this article we will give you as much detail as possible about how to change the line.
Winding the line
Filling the line into the grass trimmer reel is a relatively simple procedure, provided you follow a certain algorithm. When you need to determine how many meters of consumable material is enough, wind it on the bobbin so that the coil does not exceed the diameter of the curbs. Once you have determined the length of the cord, follow these instructions:
- Fold the consumable material in half so that one end of the line is 10-15 cm longer than the other.
- Start charging from the center curb, which divides the grass trimmer bobbin into 2 parts. Find the groove where the cord should be inserted. Bend the last one in half.
- Determine which direction to wind the line. To do this, look closely at the bobbin, which may have an arrow or inscription on it. It indicates the direction of winding. If there are no markings on the spool, look at the arrow on the mowing head. spend winding in the opposite direction.
- Wind the consumable material carefully, coil to coil. Try to keep the thread as tight as possible.
- After finishing laying the cord, fasten the short end of the material first. To do this, insert it into the groove on the side of the spool that fits the diameter. The other end (longer), attach in the groove on the other side of the grass trimmer bobbin.
- Having secured the fishing line, cut off the ends. Remember to leave an allowance of approx. 10 cm.
- Fit the threaded reel to the mowing head of the device. To do this, take turns inserting and pulling the thread into the output holes of the head to then place the bobbin of the device into the skin.
- With the required force, pull the cord out of the fixing grooves and tighten the material. Once this is complete, put on the cover and secure it with the catches.
Step-by-step winding the fishing line onto the spool
Wind the cord on the grass trimmer can also be done in another way, in which two pieces of material are charged instead of one. The replacement is done as follows:
- Bend one end of the cord in the form of a hook.
- There must be a hole in the bottom of the bobbin to hold the thread in place. Insert the bent end of the line there.
- Wind the cord material in the direction of the arrow to the desired level, which does not exceed the diameter of the grass trimmer spool.
- The same steps must be done for the second cell of the bobbin.
- Assembling the head of the device is similar to the first method.
How to replace, remove the mowing head of the electric grass trimmer BlackDecker GL716
How to change, remove the mowing head of an electric grass trimmer
BlackDecker GL716 to repair or replace.
In most cases, gasoline trimmers with an engine more than 1.5 liters.с. use cord with an iron rope inside. In this video shows how to dismantle the coil in a gasoline trimmer for grass, as well as how to properly wind the line on it. Take a close look at my video on a similar trimmer on how to change the line in the. This thread is perfect for mowing dry grass and small bushes. The presence of the core, positively affects the durability of this material. The disadvantage of such cord is its price, which is considerably higher than the abovementioned opponents.