How to remove a nut with stripped edges and threads?
Breaking a rusty thread requires a great deal of force. Unfortunately, usual open-jaw wrenches are of little use for this purpose. They are not only not effective enough, but you can simply ruin a good tool. Even Cr-V horns can bend and permanently lose their original size.
In older workshops, shoe wrenches were reinforced by welding on a piece of rebar and used especially for ripping rusty threads. Nowadays, such work is not necessary: sockets and ring wrenches are commonplace and best suited to break off.
There is, however, a small caveat: wrenches and sockets with 12 or 18 facets each are not suitable, there is a high probability of slipping. Better to use hexagonal tools for plucking. Even better if the heads have so-called twist or screw faces. That’s what they’re called. socket heads.
In some situations, both socket wrenches and ring wrenches are useless. Nuts and bolts with completely flared faces can only be unscrewed with pipe tongs or self-clamping clamps. Local mechanic’s tip: Use a small locksmith’s vice (or watchmaker’s vice) with an adjustable wrench as leverage to tighten the nut.
Axis facets are ideal for both tightening and loosening. They are crisp and level and provide a firm foothold for the wrench. If the bolt is the right size for your hand, you can turn it comfortably by hand at first, then tighten it with a tool later. However, it is not uncommon when, due to overuse of the screw itself, or high loads on the connection, the edges are torn and the fastener remains sticking out in the joint. It is inconvenient to grasp, it slips out of the hands and tools. Let’s look at a few options for solving this problem, with corresponding remedies.
Make a notch on the head of the bolt by any available method. However, there is one important point when making this notch. The walls of this notch should be vertical, without a slope. Otherwise the tool that you will then rest in the notch will simply slip on the head. And in this case there is a great danger of damaging not only the tools, but also the hands of the master. Use special cut-outs for screws with missing edges. Extractors have threads cut in the direction opposite to the thread of the bolt itself. So, when the hole is drilled in the bolt and the extractor is inserted, it is fixed tightly in the bolt and will not rotate when unscrewing such bolt with pliers. Use a reverse left-handed drill bit and a reverse drill. The idea is to make a hole in the fastener with a regular drill, put the left drill bit in the hole and use the reverse of the drill to unscrew the stuck bolt. Find the right TORX bit. The ideal sprocket should not go through the slot in the hex hole, but it should not be too big for the hexagon. The TORX star cuts through the head of the bolt with its slits, securing itself tightly against the head of the bolt. The screw can now be unscrewed with a forceful movement
Proceed with care, because in this case there is a great danger of tearing the TORX star sprocket slits.
The screw with the hexagon hole can be unscrewed in the following way:
- Take a file and size it to fit the hexagonal key. You save a lot of money by making this cut, because you will be able to use this fastener more than once in the future.
- Make a notch on the flat bar with an angle grinder or any other suitable method, such as a metal saw. And use a flat-blade screwdriver that rests against the handle of the screwdriver as a rotation arm.
- You can also use one of the TORX sprockets that are the right size for removing the screw.
There are only two ways to attach a hex bolt that is made of steel:
- Use an extractor. Well-chosen extractor and your careful actions will not only help to unscrew the screw, but also do it without significant damage to the tool.
- Ask an electric welder to help. Electric welding can be used to attach any hex to the torn fastener that you no longer need. Welded in this way, it will become a new head for the screw. It can be conveniently supported and unscrewed. But, unfortunately, this method can only be used for parts made of steel. Unfortunately, this convenient method cannot be used with screws of other materials.
This is interesting: How to cut glass without a glass cutter. methods, nuances, tools
Ways to unscrew screws, bolts, and screws with flipped faces
If the usual method has failed to unscrew fasteners with slipped edges, you can use one of several tried-and-true options.
This method is used when unscrewing bolts because they have a head you can grab onto. To do this:
Unscrewing the bolt. Do it with a gas wrench. It generates a lot of force and can even grip a round head well.
The disadvantage of this method is that it is not always possible to reach the screw with a gas spanner.
Cutting of new facets
If the bolt is large, it is possible to cut new faces on it with an angle grinder. Only four of these are required and a smaller wrench can be used to remove the bolt. It is possible to cut new faces on the bolt with a file, but it is more complicated and longer. A cut can be made in the head of a screw or screw with a metal hacksaw or angle grinder.
A deeper notch can be made in the screw or screw head for the screwdriver
Hammer and chisel or impact screwdriver
This option is best suited for sagging nuts or fairly large screws. Place the chisel against the fastener’s head and gradually turn the screw or nut by hitting it with a hammer. Small screws or screws can be unscrewed with an impact screwdriver and hammer. After loosening the fastener, the work can be done using a regular screwdriver.
The impact screwdriver can be used to unscrew small screws or screws with slotted spline
A band or piece of rubber
A small piece of medical tape or a piece of dense rubber is used in this case. Place the material of your choice on top of the head of the screw or screw, press it down with the screwdriver, and gradually turn it around. A rubber band will help to increase friction and solve the problem.
How to unscrew a rusted nut. masters’ tips :: SYL.ru
A nut that is rusted and therefore unwilling to unscrew is a problem common to motorists, mechanics, plumbers and cyclists. It feels like it’s stuck in place. Sometimes it takes too much time and effort to shake it up. We will show you a few ways you can unscrew a rusty nut quickly and with as little effort as possible.
Why a rusty nut is difficult to unscrew?
As a result of the metal’s interaction with oxygen in a humid environment, a characteristic corrosion occurs on the material. rust. During its formation there is a multiple increase in the volume of the oxidation product (the same rust). A nut that has “swollen” in this way almost merges with the bolt. Slightly misjudged force, you can easily break a bolt trying to break this union.
But rust is not the only reason why a nut does not unscrew:
- Contamination. If there is dirt, dust, small metal chips on the thread surface, it becomes an obstacle in the way of unscrewing the nut and jamming it in one place.
- Tightening too much. A nut that is too tight is also the cause of the hopeless situation. Strongly tightened metal surfaces of the two parts, the bolt and the nut, will stick to the neighboring, which leads to the fact that it is very difficult to unscrew the element.
- Poor tool. It could be the same wrench, which has blunted, deformed or otherwise damaged edges.
And we continue with how to unscrew a rusted nut at home.
Choosing the right tool
To successfully unscrew a rusted nut, you must first collect the tools that will help you in this task:
Do not try to move a jammed nut by force! Such treatment will only cause thread stripping, shearing of the facets, and often even tool breakage. Help the case first with a hexagon socket wrench. Do not use a open-jaw wrench.
How to remove stubborn trimmer bump knob that won’t unscrew | K P | PLEASE LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE!
About the safety precautions
Before you unscrew a rusty nut you should first read these important safety precautions:
- Do not use damaged tools in any way.
- The nut is always unscrewed counterclockwise.
- The tool on the part needs to be securely fastened.
- Use special gloves to prevent injuries.
So, if the nut is rusty, how can you undo it?? Here are some effective methods.
Method : dissolve the rust
How to unscrew a rusty nut? We don’t want to get in the way of the tool and waste our energy. And let’s go in search of a substance that will help dissolve rust and reduce the friction force. Of the best known ones, the ones that have proven themselves well:
- Special agent WD-40.
- Brake Fluid.
- Carburetor cleaner.
- “Coca-Cola or any other beverage containing inorganic phosphoric acid.
Are you sure you have at least one of these on hand. Next, the algorithm of your actions is not complicated:
- Moisten the nut well with the product. Wait about half an hour.
- Then use the tool to try and gently unscrew the part. It did not work. again treatment with the substance and wait.
- The agent works better if you moisten a rag or cloth with it and wrap it around the nut.
- You can speed up the unscrewing process by tapping the part lightly with a hammer.
- Another effective method is to try and twist the nut with a strong and sharp tug after being exposed to the solution.
- For a small nut the back and forth method is helpful.
When the nut is rusted, what will help unscrew if the previous method is ineffective? Try to heat the part: the high temperature will cause the metal to expand, destroying the layers of rust. This in turn makes the nut and bolted connection less secure.
What you can use as a heater:
As a last resort, normal boiling water will help. Be careful: do not use heat in close proximity to wooden or paint-coated parts.
Here are the instructions for what to do:
- Heat up the nut considerably. preferably until it is red hot.
- The next step is to try to unscrew it with a wrench.
- If the nut or bolt thread is damaged, you need to weld a socket to the nut, and then heat the entire structure. Try to unscrew it with the collar.
Method : destroying the nut
Sometimes the question “How to unscrew a rusted nut?”There is only one answer left: Break it. will help you in this case:
- Use a chisel and hammer to prepare grooves along the edges of the nut. The further you drive the chisel, the larger the diameter of the part increases. The result will be a breakage of the connection held on the threads. A similar effect is achieved by drilling such holes with an electric drill. This case is convenient if you have enough space to access the nut.
- Another way is to use an angle grinder or metal saw. You need to carefully saw along the axis of the bolt that is connected to it.
Method : twisting
The logic is simple: if you can not unscrew the nut by tapping it backwards, maybe try sliding it over the threads in the other direction? Once the part succumbs to your efforts, you should try to slowly but surely twist it already in the desired direction.
Method : Knocking the nut
How to unscrew a rusted nut on a faucet? Any plumber will advise you to tap it.
The ideal tool for this is a small 100 g hammer:
How to unscrew the nut on the trimmer
How to unscrew a rusted nut. Rusty nut: How to unscrew it?
Every person in his life more than once faced with such an unpleasantness, as rusted and stuck fasteners. Everyone is familiar with this situation: motorcyclists, motorists, bicyclists, plumbers and plumbers. The latter in particular.
It often happens that well just need to replace the wheel or change the faucet in the apartment or house, and the nasty nut or bolt does not want to unscrew. In this situation will not help power methods: the nut is dead. And it is not always possible to apply excessive force to it. You can easily break something, rip off the thread, cut the edges of the elements. To avoid ruining your nerves, and in this situation can not be avoided, you need to know how to unscrew rusted nut at home. There are several effective ways for this.
Why and what to do?
Repair can be seriously hampered, replacement of necessary parts will have to be postponed. Corrosion is to blame. And the reason for this is very, very trivial. For example, during assembly work at the factory or in the course of previous repair work, “professionals” in one field or another decided to ignore the treatment of fasteners with a lubricant. Then liquid got under the threads. Water has caused loosening processes on the surface of the bolt and nut. This loosening bonded the parts firmly with the new connection at the molecular level. How to unscrew a rusty nut is a science, and the process of unscrewing can take a lot of time, effort and nerves.
The use of auxiliary agents
The first thing to be sure to try is a variety of products, among the properties and characteristics of which the reduction of friction and the dissolution of various contaminants are indicated. This substance can be absolutely any product that has a high penetrating capacity. Today’s market offers a wide variety of products which can help make it easier to unscrew a rusty nut.
The most popular preparation for these purposes is the legendary compound WD-40. It really is a unique tool, which allows to solve not only this, but also many other problems. Before unscrewing a rusted nut, you need to thoroughly spray the bolt connection with a can of liquid and wait a little.
But WD-40 is not the only option. In the composition of the preparation. kerosene, which means that if the master also has kerosene, gasoline, diesel fuel, then it is not an optimal choice, but still effective. At least the nut can be unscrewed.
Another available handy tool is acetic acid. If you have any other mildly corrosive acid on hand, you can do that too. Same recommendations here. thoroughly wet the connection.
How to remove and put the spool on the lawnmower!
Subscribe to the channel!And we will teach you everything)))
STIHL FS 55. Changing the brushcutter spool for a knife
How to install the 2-blade blade on a STIHL FS 55 brushcutter. Video instruction on how to change the mower head benz.
In the most extreme case American technology can help. In the nearest supermarket you can buy 0.5 liters, or better a whole liter of Coca-Cola. As part of this miracle drink is orthophosphoric acid, which, albeit not ideal, but will help solve this problem.
Before unscrewing a rusted nut, the connection is thoroughly moistened with any of these preparations. Then you can rest for about 20 minutes. This will be enough for the drug to manifest its penetrating capabilities. While the liquid is penetrating, you should tap the culprit with a hammer. It is necessary to knock on the entire perimeter. How to remove the spool from the spool on the trimmer and or unscrew the nut without. Tear off the element gradually, rocking the nut. If it did not work, it is worth pouring any of the preparations and wait even longer. If again it did not work, then it is worth to look for another, more effective way to unscrew the rusted nut on the faucet or somewhere else.
Problem solved by heating
If the nut stubbornly refuses to give way, then it is worth applying heat. It will be no secret that any metal, if heated to a certain temperature, has a property to expand. So it is definitely worth trying as one of the options to warm up the nut well. Then, while it’s still hot, you have to try to rip it off. But everything should be done as quickly as possible, otherwise the bolt will also get hot, and then there will be no case. But even if the connection is heated completely, this process will not occur evenly. The rust will deform and loosen the nut.
To heat the fastener enough, you can use any available means. This can be a lighter, matches, boiling water. Construction hair dryers, powerful soldering irons, blowtorches are the best. Make sure you protect your hands before you unscrew a rusted nut. You should work carefully and with the utmost care. If there are wooden parts in the working area, do not heat the nut. this could damage the wood.
Besides these two suggested methods it is also recommended to screw in instead of unscrewing. Often it is possible to loosen the rust layer and shake the fastener so that it can be easily unscrewed. This can be combined with heating.
Everything can be squeezed out while tapping, even if the nut is severely corroded. How to unscrew? Simply knock on the perimeter of the fastener. Micro deformation will occur during the tapping process. These deformations will destroy the rust layer. But here it is important not to apply serious force. The blows should not be strong, on the size of the connection. If you hit it hard, you can damage the edges, and then the nut will never unscrew again.
Destruction and destruction
If neither method comes close to solving the problem, all that remains is to destroy and ruin the connection. There are several options here as well. You choose the method according to where the nut rusts. How to unscrew it? Yes, you can simply saw it with an angle grinder or a hacksaw with a metal blade. But it is not always possible to break the connection by cutting. For example, in a car wheel it will not be easy to do. On the faucet in the bathroom, you can damage the faucet itself.
HOW TO REMOVE a stuck seized Echo SRM-225 Trimmer Head
What kinds of fishing line are there?
A commonly used type of line that can be used with virtually all types of spools is a cord of circular cross section. This line is an ordinary trimmer line, suitable for cutting succulent grass, but it is much harder for cutting dead grass, and it is even more difficult for cutting shrubs.
Usually, it is not larger than 1.6 mm at its widest when cutting young grass. The thicker the thread, the harder grass it can cut.
There is a line with sharpened facets in the form of a star or a square, this option is more adapted to mow dry grass just by having a sharp edge, but the disadvantage is its greater wear and tear, and on the strength it concedes round cord.
There are lines with improved aerodynamics with appropriate dents, scales and notches, a similar product makes less noise, but use it only on benzokosa, since the output of such thread from the spool is difficult, use it in most cases with disks, which are inserted segments. The disadvantage of such a product is its fragility.
In most cases, gasoline trimmers with engines over 1.5 liters.с. use cord with an iron cord inside. How to disassemble the coil how to replace the head trimmer for grass with cutting blade. How. Such a thread is perfectly suited for mowing dry grass and small bushes.
How to Disassemble a Grass Trimmer Head How to Disassemble a Grass Trimmer Head. Answer the coil with. the presence of a core, positively affects the durability of this material. The disadvantage of such a cord is its price, which is significantly higher than the above listed opponents.
How to disassemble the grass trimmer spool. Changing the line on the trimmer.
In this video I show how to disassemble the spool at the gasoline trimmer for grass. as well as how to wind it correctly.
What is the problem with unscrewing the crankshaft pulley?
Even a person far from cars knows that the crankshaft rotates during the movement of the car. Based on this, we can conclude that it will rotate at an attempt to unscrew the bolt that connects the crankshaft and pulley. The problem is that the direction of rotation of the machine and the threads of the bolt are the same.
You should also take into account that during the movement of the car, the bolt is tightened a lot, and this is not done by accident. It is important that in no case the pulley did not move away from the crankshaft during the movement of the car, which can be dangerous not only for the car, but also for the people in it.
There are other factors that make it difficult to unscrew the crankshaft pulley, such as corrosion, burning, coking, sticking, etc. Based on this, we can conclude that to disconnect the parts is not so simple, and it will require not only special knowledge, but also a number of specific tools, which are not available in every garage.
Choosing a beard grooming appliance
One of the main points in beard grooming is choosing a quality device that will effectively trim hairs and keep the battery charged throughout the entire shaving session. When buying, consider the following recommendations:
- Choose a beard grass trimmer with stainless steel blades. They have a long service life and allow you to shave vegetation without pulling out.
- It’s a good idea if your groomer has a sturdy, waterproof housing that allows it to be cleaned under running water.
- The handle should have a firm grip and rubberized grip to prevent slipping out.
- The more attachments included, the more convenient it is to use the unit when grooming your beard.
For more information on how to choose a grass trimmer for beard, follow the link to our article with tips on selecting the device.
We unscrew and tighten nuts
It is possible to tighten or loosen a large nut on the faucet even if the thread on it has already been stripped as a result of unsuccessful attempts at disassembly. There are several ways to solve this problem:
- The head of the metal object is clamped in a wood clamp or a clamp vice, and the problem metal object is unscrewed in a rotary motion with the help of the vice. The same tools can also be used to tighten the hardware, if necessary.
- On top of the horizontally located hardware put a nut with a large diameter with a force, and then unscrew this construction with a tool that matches the size of the upper fastening element.
If you need to unscrew round shaped hardware or hardware that has all the edges completely smoothed out, the following methods can be used:
- Put another hexagon nut of the corresponding diameter on top of the round hardware. Next, you will need to clamp the nut with a vice or a clamp and unscrew the hardware.
- Put another auxiliary nut of a larger size on top of the round nut to be unscrewed. Drill a hole at the joint of the nuts, into which a stud or drill bit can be inserted. Next, the nut should be unscrewed with a hairpin driver.
- A metal stud is welded to one side of the hexagonal fastener, and then another stud is welded to the stud so that the L-shaped lever is formed. Using the resulting lever unscrew the hardware.
In some cases, it is possible to unscrew the problem metalware by breaking it:
- Use a chisel and hammer to rock the problem metalware. Place a chisel on the edge of the nut and strike the chisel with a hammer. This is how all the facets are passed several times in turn.
- If you drill several holes in the hardware, you can destroy its structure with a chisel and hammer.
- The fastener is cut off with the cut-off disk of an angle grinder or sawed off with a hacksaw blade for metal.
Sometimes you need to unscrew a tightly wrapped plastic nut. In this case, the following manipulations will help:
- With the help of a steel band, which tightly encircles the head of the nut, perform a rotary movement, using the ends of the band as a handle.
- Press 2 wooden slats against each other on the edges of the hardware. Grasping the ends of the slats with your hands, make a counterclockwise rotational movement.
- To unscrew/screw it, you can use a crescent wrench or pliers’ arms spread apart.
The fastener can be tightened with a simple device:
- Take a long auxiliary bolt and tighten the nut on it;
- follow it up with another one, but leave a gap between the nuts, in which the head of the other screwed bolt or nut is placed;
- both screws are tightened on the auxiliary bolt so that they firmly clamp the head of the mount to be assembled;
- then rotate in the direction of the screwing.
When the procedure is finished, the fasteners on the auxiliary bolt are unscrewed and the fixture is removed. This method is also suitable for the process of unscrewing the nuts.
How to remove the trimmer head?
The procedure for removing the trimmer head on machines with a top-mounted motor is the same for any model. first fix the output shaft of the machine with any suitable tool, such as a regular hexagon, then unscrew the drum or a fixation nut.
The drum can be unscrewed by hand, because its diameter is large enough to effectively wrap your hand around it, but the nut should be unscrewed with the standard wrench that comes with each electric brace.
Here’s a detailed manual that you can follow to remove most types of coils from a grass trimmer with a top-mounted motor:
- make sure the machine is unplugged;
- clean the space between the blade guard and spool of grass clippings;
- Turn the head so that you align the fixing holes;
- insert a standard Allen wrench or any other suitable tool into the aligned holes;
- Wrap your palm around the body or put a wrench on the nut, then turn in the appropriate direction (clockwise for units with a straight boom, counterclockwise on those with a bent boom).
On some machines with a bent boom hole for fixing the shaft is not, instead, the base is fixed to the shaft with a bolt.
If this is the type of electric mower you have, then proceed as follows:
- make sure that the machine is unplugged;
- squeeze the catches with your fingers;
- Carefully remove the cover;
- Remove the bobbin and other parts;
- Hold the base and unscrew the fixing bolt by turning it counterclockwise;
- Remove the base by rocking it slightly from side to side, if you can not remove it, turn it 45-90 degrees and rock it again, trying to remove it.
On devices with a lower motor, the principle of attachment of the mowing head is different. it is pressed on the spline shaft with the heating of the latter or other ways of fixation, so we recommend to remove this part yourself only to those who are familiar with such works and have the appropriate tools.
Some models have a shaft with a slot for fixation, but to get to it, you often have to saw through the removable spool.
Is it possible to make a coil on the grass trimmer with their own hands
There are a large number of trimmer heads on sale (not automatic), which have a low price and good quality. But sometimes there are situations, for example, in the country, when the trimmer spool is broken, and its repair is impossible, the store is far away, and it is necessary to mow. In this case, you can quickly, literally in a few minutes, make a simple trimmer attachment for fixing the fishing line from ordinary plywood 10-12 mm thick.
- Take a piece of plywood or textolite and draw a circle about 14 cm in diameter on it.
- Cut the disc with a jigsaw or metal saw.
- Drill a hole in the center of the disk that matches the diameter of the gearbox shaft. Do not forget to put a washer on the disc before mounting it on the shaft.
- On the sides of the disk you can screw small brackets or make 1-2 holes on each side. These will serve to thread the lines into them.
- To fix the line for the trimmer you can screw some screws into the plywood.
Such a home-made mowing head is attached to the shaft with a nut. It is not possible to screw or unscrew the nut without locking the shaft. To replace the cords, simply undo the screws, insert a length of fishing line and press them back on.
It is also possible to make the mowing head for attaching a fishing line to it from metal sheet. You can see how to do this in the following video.