How to tuck line into the trimmer: a few simple tips
Thanks to modern power tools, a person is given a lot of opportunities to reduce manual labor. These innovations include the trimmer, which greatly facilitates the process of mowing and lawn care. This device reduces the time for gardening work, turning difficult physical work into entertainment. The trimmer uses a fishing line as a cutting tool. It stretches strongly and thus mows grass of almost any height. It is quite easy to operate a power tool, but the problem arises when the cutting material runs out. Not everyone will immediately figure out how to tuck the line into the trimmer. Although this is a simple operation, it is not always clear to a person who is faced with this task for the first time how to properly wind it on a reel. over, the instructions do not contain information on how to choose and replace the trimmer line.
How to quickly and correctly tuck the line into the trimmer?
Once you figure out how to change the cutting material, further use and maintenance of the trimmer will be greatly simplified. To wind the trimmer line, several operations should be performed, namely:
- Unscrew the nozzle by rotating the drum to the right. You will have a head with the remnants of an old thread in your hands. Open it with a screwdriver, or wring out the latch and turn the cover in the direction of the arrow. This operation should be carried out carefully, since there is a spring inside, which, straightening, can throw out all the internal parts of the drum. To change the line in the trimmer, you need to take out the spool and remove the rest of the material.
- Take 5 meters of new thread and fold it in half. There is a hole in the middle of the spool where you need to insert the material. There is also an arrow indicating the direction to reel in the trimmer line. It is important to consider some points. If there are two holes in the spool, then half of the trimmer line should be tucked in one direction and the other in the opposite direction. When finishing inserting the material, it is better to leave 15-20 cm free.
- Assemble the drum, reinstall the spring and washers. Then, while holding the spool, thread the ends of the line into the holes on the sides of the nozzle. Then put the head in place, pulling on the cutting material.
Method 2. two segments
Two coiled line lengths
fundamentally no different from the method The only difference is two wound pieces of fishing line, instead of one.
The end of each segment is folded
The end of each segment is folded.
Two special fixing sockets
There are two special fixing sockets on the coil (see picture above).
We start winding the line
They hook it with a hook formed earlier on the fishing line, and begin to wind the fishing line.
Winding is carried out in a special order
The winding must be carried out in the following order: first the lower line, i.e. the one that is closer to the fixing holes at the bottom of the coil, and only then the top one, i.e. the one that will overlap the bottom section.
The bottom line is reeling
The tips are cut into the holes in the trimmer spool body. They are pulled up until they click, which means that the line has come out of the latches.
The tips are threaded into the holes in the trimmer spool body
The coil is fastened into the body. The line in the spool has been replaced.
The line in the spool has been replaced
Instructions on how to wind the line on the trimmer spool
Here are the steps for winding a monofilament fishing thread onto the trimmer spool:
- The end of the line from the reel is pulled into the pass rings of the finished tackle.
- Open line guide.
- Using any fishing knot, tie one end of the monofilament to the bobbin.
- Perform a few turns by hand by moving the spool “wheel”.
- Now winding can be done with the handle.
- When the winding is done, you need to close the line guide.
In another method, a reel with fishing line should be thrown over a stick so that the reel rotates freely around its axis. Next, wind it around the trimmer bobbin. Here it will not be very convenient to wind up alone, it is better to resort to the help of a friend.
As for winding the braid, then you need to do the following:
EASIEST WAY TO STRING YOUR WEED EATER
- Dip the prepared reel with a braid into a container of warm water, or at least into the water of a river or lake, right on the spot.
- Now you need to wind up. Due to the more or less softened fiber, the line will lie down and wrap quite smoothly and tightly.
Tips from experienced fishermen
Here’s what professional fishermen advise:
IT IS IMPORTANT TO KNOW! Fishermen caught 25 kg of fish with the Fish XXL bite activator! Read more.
- Don’t wind too much line. This suggests that if the permissible winding length is 100 meters, then in this case you need to wind a little less. This will allow the device to work more correctly.
- When winding, the string should not be too tight or, conversely, weakened. And in that, in another case, it will not lie as it should. It can twist, go to the side, overlap, and so on. Conical layers of fishing line can also form, that is, thickenings on one side or another.
- Winding should be carried out before reaching the upper edge of the coil, about 1-2 mm, this distance may increase slightly.
- If the line is dropped periodically during winding, then you need to take a little more than the previous distance from the side wall of the spool to the line being wound. You need to increase literally by 0.5 mm.
- Fast winding of the line will not ensure its good distribution over the surface of the spool. On the contrary, it can “twist” so that it will be difficult to fix it. The best option is average speed.
There are also devices that allow you to attach the reel directly to the rod. This allows you to wind the line, firstly, without outside help, and secondly, the refueling process is greatly simplified.
Rating: 5 1 votes
Features of winding the line on the trimmer reel Link to the main publication
- About fish
- Fishing features
A group of anglers under interrogation revealed the name of the secret bait.
The first way
Line bent in half
The prepared segment (in this case, it is 4 meters) is bent approximately in half. one segment should be 15-20 cm longer, and inserted into a special slot located on the dividing partition.
The line is inserted into the slot
The line is wound in the direction determined earlier. This is done in an interference fit, the line is neatly distributed. In this case, you need to wind a segment that is longer in the section that is closer to the button.
There are designs that do not provide for dividing the coil into two sections. This does not change anything, the line is wound in a similar way. You just need to make sure that the segments do not overlap with each other.
The first should end that section, which is located at the bottom of the coil, i.e. the one closest to the fixing holes.
This tip fits into the corresponding hole in diameter. The line is securely fixed.
The line is securely fixed
A long segment is wound another half turn. There he is similarly fixed. In this case, the segment crosses another section of the coil.
A long segment is wound another half turn
The fixed ends of the coiled line are inserted into the holes in the trimmer spool body.
The fixed ends of the coiled line are inserted into the holes in the trimmer spool body
The coil is attached to the body. The ends of the fishing line are pulled with effort so that the fishing lines previously fixed in the holes of the reel jump out from there. It is easily identified by the characteristic sound (click).
The ends of the line pull up with effort
Button spool snaps into trimmer spool housing.
Button spool snaps into trimmer spool housing
The line was changed successfully. In this case, you need to put it back on the trimmer and you can start mowing the grass.
It should be repeated, there is no need to remove the spool from the trimmer. this was done for clarity of the process of replacing the fishing line. You can disassemble the spool in place, wind it on the spool and put it back.
Line replacement completed successfully
Tips so that they do not hit the trimmer cover can and should be trimmed.
How do I load the line into the trimmer spool? Video instruction
Changing the line in the trimmer: 2 easy ways
A trimmer is a necessary and useful tool for a summer cottage and a private house. Many people own and actively use it, but not everyone knows how to replace the line in the trimmer, especially at first.
In this manual, we’ll walk through the entire replacement process step by step. Looking ahead, there are two ways to line the trimmer spool. There is no fundamental difference. the difference lies in the fact that in the first case one line will be refueled, folded in half, and in the second there will be two such lines.
In order to change the line, you need to remove the old one (if it was).
The reel is the part of the trimmer structure that is located inside the mower head, drum or bobbin. Heads may vary depending on the manufacturer. But this article only covers Patriot, although their mechanism is used by many other companies.
Now you need to understand how to properly remove the head from the trimmer and how to pull the drum out of it.
Instructions on how to unscrew the manual head on the trimmer are described below.
- First of all, you need to clean the head from dirt and adhering grass, if it is dirty. To do this, lift the mower head up and, grasping the casing, remove the special protective cover on the drum.
- The next step is to remove the spool from the drum. The reel can be easily removed even with one hand, because it is not fixed in any way inside the drum.
- The drum itself is fixed in the trimmer with a bolt. This bolt must be unscrewed, after which you can easily pull out the drum. To do this carefully, you should support the drum with the spool, while unscrewing the screw counterclockwise.
- Now you can pull the coil out. As mentioned above, it is not secured by anything, except for a hook with a metal shaft, so it does not need to be pulled out with force. Carefully, in a circular motion, pull the spool out of the drum.
- Now it remains to remove the old fishing line and follow the following instructions.
Installation of the spool and drum in their original place is performed according to the reverse algorithm.
Before threading the line, make sure you have purchased the correct thread for the trimmer. In the event that the thread is not suitable, the consumption of fuel or energy increases, as well as the load on the engine of the lawn mowers.
In order to replace the thread itself directly, you need to prepare a piece of thread of the required size. Most often, this requires about 4 m of line. The specific figure will depend on the parameters of the thread, for example, its thickness, as well as on the parameters of the spool itself. If you cannot accurately determine the length, you can do the following: insert and wind the thread until the spool is fully charged (the line level will be compared with the protrusions on the sides of the spool). It is necessary to ensure that the line sits evenly in the reel.
Do not forget that thick thread will be shorter than thin thread.
The instructions for threading the line into the spool are described below.
- The prepared thread must be taken and folded in half. It should be ensured that one edge is 0.1-0.15 m longer than the other.
- Now you need to take the ends in different hands. The one that is smaller must be pulled up to the larger one so that it becomes 2 times shorter. When bending, maintain an offset of 0.15m.
- Find the notch inside the coil baffle. Carefully pass the loop you made earlier into this slot.
- To continue working, it is necessary to determine the direction of winding of the thread in the bobbin. To do this, it is enough to inspect the coil. there should be an arrow on it.
- If the arrow-pointer could not be found, then it is quite possible that there is a written designation. An example is shown in the photo below. It is necessary to inspect the coil head. There is a direction indicator on it. However, this is the direction of travel of the coil. To get the winding direction, you need to wind in the opposite direction.
- Now you need to load the spool with line. It is worth noting that there are special guide grooves inside the coil. Follow these grooves when winding the thread, otherwise the trimmer may be damaged. At this stage, you need to charge the coil very carefully.
- When the user winds almost the entire thread, take the short end (do not forget about the 0.15m protrusion) and pull it into the hole located in the wall of the reel. Now you need to repeat this action in the same way with the other end (on the other side).
- Place the reel itself in the head of the reel, before that threading the line through the holes inside the drum.
- Now is the time to put the drum back in place. After that, you need to take the ends of the line with both hands and pull them to the sides. Then you need to put the lid back on (here you can safely make efforts until you hear a characteristic click).
- Remained to do the “cosmetic work”. We need to see if the thread is too long. You can start the trimmer and check in practice if everything is comfortable. If the thread comes out a little long, you can cut it with scissors.
How to wind the line onto the Patriot trimmer reel?
Almost every beginner when using a trimmer is faced with the problem of changing the line. While it is very easy to change your line, you need to learn how to do it correctly. Changing the fishing line with proper skill will take no more than five minutes. you just have to constantly practice it. This article will look at changing line using Patriot trimmers as an example.
Although winding the line is a very simple task, many beginners can wind the line incorrectly. Below are the most common mistakes.
- Many people, when measuring a thread, think that 4 m is a lot. Because of this, people often measure less, and, accordingly, they do not have enough line. Do not be afraid to measure out a lot, because you can always cut off the excess.
- In a hurry, some people do not follow the threading grooves inside the spool and wind the thread randomly. This will cause the line to come out of the reel and may even cripple.
- For winding, use only the appropriate line. This mistake is the most common one. You need to monitor not only the thickness and volume of the line, but also its type. You should not use the first line that comes across for wrapping, which will not meet the goals. For example, you do not need to use a thread on young grass if you need to mow dead wood.
- Do not turn on the device until it is fully wound and collected. Although this is obvious, some people do this in order to check if everything is done correctly.
- In no case should you confuse the direction of refueling, as this will overload the engine, and it will soon come out of working condition.
It is quite common for beginners to make mistakes, so you need to follow the tips given in this article.
See below for how to replace the line on the Patriot trimmer.
What do you need?
How to wind the line onto the trimmer spool
The line in the trimmer head can run out at the most inopportune moment when the work is in full swing. So that replacing the fishing line does not take much time and does not have to go through the instructions for a long time, we recommend that you theoretically familiarize yourself with this process in advance. From our article you will learn all the subtleties, starting with the choice of consumables and ending with winding on spools of different types.
- What do you need?
- Line replacement process
- Useful articles
Line replacement process
For each trimmer, the manufacturer recommends a fishing line, or cord, of a certain diameter. a reel is made for it. It can be from 1.2 to 4 mm: you need to look at the instructions for what line sizes are acceptable for your tool. For example, many trimmers have a maximum value of 3 mm (recommended for tough grass). a thicker cord cannot be fitted. For mowing young, soft vegetation, a thin line with a diameter of 1.2. 1.6 mm is suitable. Also, when choosing, pay attention to the structure of the cord: round is the most durable and is suitable for coarse grass, curly. for soft, twisted or with notches. for thin stems. Depending on what kind of grass grows on the site. lawn or weed, buy the appropriate consumable. The length of the winding can be from several tens to several hundred meters, and its price depends on this. You need to proceed from the amount of work to be done. If the trimmer is used in a private household, there is no need to buy a roll over 100 m.
It is important to know! Buy only branded line recommended by the trimmer manufacturer. It is made of quality materials and is durable. it will cut the grass perfectly and not wear out so quickly.
For one threading of the line into the bobbin, a length of 2 to 4 m is required. it all depends on its thickness and the manufacturer’s recommendations. If you wind more, the movement of the line will be difficult, and in the process of work, you may have problems pulling out new ends. Unwind the required amount and cut with a knife.
Helpful Hint: Place a piece of cord in water for 30 minutes, then it will become more elastic and stronger.
Removing the spool from the spit
To insert the line into the trimmer head, remove it from the tool. Depending on the design, this can be done by pressing the latches or unwinding the lamb. Pay attention to the direction of the thread. right or left. and rotate the wing depending on this. Usually the direction of rotation is indicated by an arrow on the trimmer head housing. It is recommended to carry out this operation with gloves. fingers will not slip, and hands will not get dirty.
Dismantling the mowing head
The line is wound on a spool, which is hidden in the trimmer head housing. To get to it, you need to disassemble the element. On the case there are latches-latches, when you press them, the case cover can be easily removed. Sometimes disassembly is carried out by untwisting the case.
Be careful! Remember in what order the elements are installed, how the spring and the fixing screw are located inside the head. Stack all the parts neatly in one place so that nothing gets lost and there are no problems during assembly.
Trimmer heads differ in structure, reel type and line pulling principle. Having disassembled the case, you will see the spool and determine what type it belongs to. There are products with a collar in the middle, which divides the reel into top and bottom parts for each end of the line. In products without it, the line winding is solid. To make the process clearer, we suggest using the table.
Winding line on reels of different types
With dividing edge
Without dividing board
We have described how to wind the line into the reel of a double-barbed trimmer. This is the most common option. But there are other ways as well. For example, if there is one antenna in the mowing head, then winding is carried out without folding the line. Rotate in the direction indicated on the bobbin body, and the free end of the cord is temporarily fixed in the slot on the body. For trimmers with four antennae, four short sections are consumable, which are inserted in turn into the holes of an already assembled head.
Helpful hint: when winding the line, be careful not to pull it tight, so that it does not sit very tightly in the reel. It is necessary to ensure its free movement for subsequent pulling.
Assembling the trimmer head
After the line is wound on the spool, it is necessary to assemble the body. Position the spool so that the ends of the line can be pulled into the outlets of the trimmer head. The slots in the spool where they were temporarily inserted will prevent them from slipping out. If there are no such slots, support the ends with your fingers as you insert the coil into the body. After pulling the free ends into the outlet openings, close the lid and secure it with latches or twist. Place the mowing head on the trimmer and pull out the ends of the line to the desired length so that they do not touch the protective cover during operation. Done! You can get to work!
How to properly wind the line on the trimmer spool?
Despite the fact that gardening equipment has been used for quite some time, it is still a novelty for some owners of private houses. That is why there are often questions about how to properly wind the line on an electric or gasoline trimmer.
This is essentially a simple operation, but all its stages must be performed correctly in order to achieve the desired result. over, in the operating instructions, only a few manufacturers provide an answer to this painful question. Explore the article and find out how the line winds on the trimmer reel.
The procedure for winding the line on the trimmer spool
First of all, you should know that trimmers have different working attachments. The reel can be designed for different lengths and thicknesses of the line. this point should be taken into account when purchasing consumables.
So how do you load the line into the trimmer reel? All work is divided into several stages:
- First you need to disassemble the trimmer head.
- Unscrew the nozzle by rotating the drum to the right.
- Press with your fingers on the two latches located on different sides of the entrance, and remove the top cover of the nozzle. You can pry off the cover with a screwdriver. This should be done carefully: reels with automatic line feed have a spring that can forcefully throw the cover along with all the contents of the reel.
- Remove scraps of old fishing line.
- Now you need to find the middle of the line. To do this, unwind it to the required length (for example, 10 m), cut and fold it in half.
- Hook the middle of the line into the existing groove or insert it into the hole specially designed for this. And start winding. The direction is indicated by an arrow, which is usually marked on the trimmer reel body (usually against the rotation of the drum). Some models have a double-sided spool: in this case, the line should be wound in different directions: one end in one direction, the other in the other, while the loop of the line must be inserted into the dividing slot located in the middle.
- Leave loose ends of the line about 20cm each. Later they will need to be fixed in the recesses.
- And finally, the last step will be the assembly of the drum. Reinstall the washers and spring. On the top ring of the reel there are two notches where you need to tuck the antennae of the fishing line. Thread them through the holes and place the spool in the drum, trying to tighten the line without displacing the spring.
- Place the drum cover on top and close it with your fingers. The latches will snap into place with a distinctive click.
When you turn on the trimmer, the excess line will be cut off by the trimmer blade.
As you can see, winding the line on the trimmer reel is not difficult: the main thing is to do everything right. And here are some more tips that will come in handy when choosing a fishing line, winding it and subsequent work:
- fishing line comes in different thicknesses and with different sections. The best option for winding is the “native” line for this model;
- never use fishing line or metal cables for the trimmer. Such a substitution may seem effective, but it is very dangerous. Jumping off a working trimmer, the cable can seriously injure not only the lawnmower himself, but also those around him;
- the line is cut when the trimmer is in contact with hard objects. Try not to allow this, otherwise you will have to stop each time, turn off the device and rewind the line on the reel;
- Use regular line for cutting lawn grass and pigtail line for coarse weeds. It is more durable and will not constantly cut.
Before you wind the thread on the trimmer spool, you should pay attention to its size. Most often, a line with a cross section of 2 mm is used.
You can choose a suitable diameter in the following ways:
- See the recommendations in the manufacturer’s instructions for the trimmer.
- Manufacturers often apply cross-section information to the bobbin.
- The cross-section of the cord must match the diameter of the reel hole.
Important! The thicker the thread is tucked in, the harder the grass it can cut.
What are the trimmers and features of their use
The trimmer is useful for mowing small or difficult areas, such as near hedges, between beds and along paths. Today, manufacturers produce a wide variety of gasoline, electric and battery models, which can be selected for any owner’s request.
A fishing line is used as a cutting element of the trimmer. In the process of work, sooner or later its length will end, and then the owner will have a question of how to properly replace and fix the thread tucked into a removable spool.
Things to consider when choosing a fishing line
It is important to choose the right material before inserting and locking the line into the detachable trimmer spool.
Rating of the best petrol trimmer models. A review of manufacturers and models, as well as useful tips from experts reviewed in this review, will help in a difficult choice among many device models.
How to wind the line around the reel of the double barb trimmer
You can watch the video before work, and also take into account the following recommendations.
- If there is only one track, both threads are wound parallel.
- If there are two tracks, each piece is wound in a separate groove.
- Wind the threads in the opposite direction to the rotation of the head.
- The length of the free ends should not exceed fifteen centimeters.
- Thread the ends into the outlet holes.
- Assemble the head and check the trimmer performance.
Advice! If the loose antennae are of different lengths, do not worry. During operation, excess ends will be cut off.
Auto feed trimmer: how to wind the line into the removable spool
In some models of trimmers, a reel is installed, in which the line is refueled automatically. It is enough for the owner to fix the ends in the head, after turning on the equipment, the mechanism will perform all the winding manipulations on its own.
You should know this! The strengths of the automatic trimmer head include the ease of winding. The disadvantages of such equipment are frequent breakdowns of a complex mechanism and high cost.
How to properly wind the line around the spool of a single-barbed trimmer
Most often, a thread up to five meters long is used. The procedure consists of the following steps:
- Bend the cord with a loop and insert into the groove of the head.
- Wind the thread in the opposite direction to the markings on the body. They indicate the direction of movement of the head.
- Leave the end of the thread up to fifteen centimeters free to increase centrifugal force.
- Thread the free end through the spool outlet.
- Assemble the trimmer head.
Before putting on the line on the trimmer, you need to pay attention to the section of the cord:
- round threads are the most common option. They cut the grass perfectly, even in difficult areas;
- Spiral line is suitable for thin grass. It is not very durable and is not suitable for old thickets;
- a cord with notches and sharp edges is chosen for mowing weeds;
- fishing line with a variety of geometric sections will help mow the lawn more evenly, however, the strength of the consumable is low.
Important! Most wear-resistant consumable is 2-piece round, reinforced internally.
The owner of the lawn mower should know that it is strictly forbidden to use metal wire, fishing thread and various strings.