Reciprocating Saw 101: How to Use the Shoe | Tool School | This Old House
RusCamping. exchange of experience and opinions
Russian-language Camping. A site where campers can talk about everything.
How to choose a saber (pendulum saw) and what can be done with it?
Sabel saw itself or as it is also called a pendulum saw is not heavy enough, if to compare it to a chainsaw especially a chainsaw, its weight is about 1.5. 2 kg, which allows you to hold it with one hand and manipulate it rather safely and effectively. Sabre saws are most often used when cutting pipes, window frames, doing salvage work, garden work.
In the choice of power supply, buy depending on where it will be used. Cordless saws are more versatile, mains-powered are more powerful and not expensive. Giving preference to cordless tool is worth paying attention to the motor type. brushless motors are more durable and productive.
Cutting Steel Chapter 2. The Reciprocating Saw
In usability, the main point is the anti-vibration system. your hands will be less tired, the work will bring pleasure, the risk of professional hand disease is reduced, the second most important is the function of tool-free blade replacement for the saw, thus reducing maintenance time. instead of having to twist and screw in every saw blade change with a key (which still tends to get lost) you can change saw blades or other attachments in a couple of seconds by turning the lever on the saw chuck.
How to use long and flexible blades?
The long, flexible cutting blades are good for clean, flush cutting. They are also used to cut materials in various hard to reach places, where a simple blade is too difficult to reach. To cut a pipe sticking out from the wall flush to the surface, you need to tuck the edge of the blade with a little pressure on the handle and turn on the tool.
The sabre saw.
Hi all! Today I want to tell you about a quite useful power tool. I’m sure many people know what it is and use it, but there haven’t been any reviews on Muskie yet, so I’ll try to maximize the potential of this gizmo. You might remember the reviews of oscillating multi-tool (buzzing machine with semicircular attachments), so the sabre saw is from the same category. it seems that you can do without it, but after working for a while you realize that it is very difficult to replace it in certain situations. In addition to theory, under the kat will be practice, measurement and dismemberment. If you are too lazy to read. there is a short video at the end.
This jigsaw is an overgrown jigsaw, you might be right. The principle is the same, but the jigsaw is the younger brother, t.к. The subjob was invented before him, it just started to gain popularity in our area later.
Let’s look at the features:
Color: red black Voltage: 220 V, 50 Hz Power: 900 W Chinese plug, adapter included. Maximal cutting depth: 115mm for wood, 8mm for solid metal. Please note, many stores indicate the depth of cut for the pipe without specifying wall thickness. Speed: 0-2800 vibrations per minute. Meaning “useful” movement. Stroke: 20 mm Length of complete blade: approx. 15 cm Size: approx. 47x12x9 cm Weight: 2.4 kg. Cable length: about 180 cm This model without the pendulum, the latter are more productive, but also cost accordingly. Let me tell you briefly what the pendulum mechanism is for, since I’ve touched upon this topic. Now there are many modifications, but it all boils down to one thing: the tilt of the piston during the forward movement. It turns out that when the piston moves toward us, the blade touches the entire area of the kerf, and on the way back, the rod deflects and the blade runs along the edge of the kerf, reducing friction and wear. There are now a lot of jigsaw models with this function. These are the two common types. You need to either choose a model where it is included as an option, or get one without the pendulum.к. During fine work, it will interfere, for example, when shaped cutting or working in a confined space, when large blade vibrations are unacceptable.
Unpacking and Appearance
Courier for some reason asked to sign the paper and cut it out along with a piece of the package but okay. The box was slightly damaged during shipment. The saw itself is clean and intact. If it was in such a crumpled package in the warehouse, there would be a lot of dust inside, apparently the delivery “tried” to. Also in the kit universal blade is not the worst quality, but the teeth are coarse and are suitable only for wood / soft metal. There is also a hexagon for adjusting the flight of the “shoe”. And spare brushes, size 9.8х5.8 mm.
Let’s take a closer look at the tool itself.
In this model, the horizontal positioning of the engine (there is also a vertical, as in the same jigsaws). RPM adjustment is analog: the more you press the button, the faster the motor goes. It also has a wheel to adjust the speed. In fact, it only limits the stroke of the button. With enough skill, you can avoid the mechanical stop and rely on the feel, sound and experience. Chuck quick-change chuck, to change the blade must turn the spring-loaded ring locking counterclockwise. There is also a double lock and you can insert the blades “upside down”, which sometimes helps a lot.
This subage has quite a wide range of applications, functionality depends on the attachment and imagination. Blades are available in different materials: HCS. high carbon steel. Working with soft materials: wood, rubber, plastic. HSS. high speed tool steel. Working with soft and sheet metals. BIM. high strength composite steel like HSS and HCS. Works with both wood and metal. HM/CT. hard alloys. Works on porous materials with higher abrasion resistance: concrete, brick, aerated concrete, steel, fiberglass or fiberglass. The shape, tooth size and spacing also play an important role. I bought 2 samples at my nearest construction store: 1. For rough woodworking. The teeth are big, so the cut is not as smooth, but it is fast. But you have to pay for such performance. quite perceptible vibration of the tool if the shoe is not pressed to the workpiece or the object if it is not properly secured. Dried wood is cut through like a butter knife Green (apple-tree) is not so fast, but not bad either. Not a single tree was damaged for the sake of the review, all saws are planned =) While testing the blades, finally cut something that looks like a mulberry tree. Grows like yeast, but does not bear fruit. Sawed, starting with small branches. then still sawing, but on the ground is not as comfortable. Spent about 10 minutes on the whole thing. 2. Universal (BIM), for working with wood as well as metal I like it best, because it was decided to use an old window cleaner, so I would like to use it in my workshop.к. The speed drops only slightly, but there are no surprises in the material, such as nails. Also because of the fine toothing there is almost no vibration. I noticed that there was something hard in the block, but you don’t have to worry about the blade. The cut actually looked neater, but I had to wipe it down to get a better view of the metal. It was decided to recycle an old window frame. The blade is pretty flexible, the video shows how it walks, so that the pictures of sawing pipes by the wall “by the root” can be trusted. And finally a metal angle with 4mm walls. At the bend the thickness is probably about 10mm. My father brought Makita HCS blade (wood, plastic, rubber). It’s slower to work with dry wood, but it cuts through wet wood twice as fast as the one with the coarse teeth. As for the set one, the teeth are too big to cut metal properly, but too small for fast woodworking. One can use it, but it will show its full power only with special tools. I have not found concrete/brick blades on sale, but there are a lot of videos with examples of their use. Similarly with the knives. They have a wavy blade instead of teeth, which is great for cutting cardboard, plywood, drywall, although the toothed ones will do for the latter as well. If you want it is possible to cut meat with bone or frozen pieces of meat. Yes, the blade says wood is metal, but the position in the store is “for meat”. You can also saw with an ordinary HSS in metal, as long as it’s clean. In general there are a lot of applications. we have the contraption, which has a rod that moves quickly and quickly back and forth by 2 centimeters and at the end there is a chuck for fixing all sorts of attachments, which if you want you can turn out yourself. And that’s what anyone has a fantasy for =)
Bosch PSA 900 E
Sabre saw with higher output compared to its counterpart in the same series. 900 W and the stroke of 28 mm provide fast sawing of tree trunks or logs up to 200 mm in depth. Soft start for precise cutting along the marked line. Metal tool cuts cross-sections up to 20 mm.
- Capable of cutting tree trunks more than 30 years old.
- Easy operation with easy blade installation.
- Qualitative body build. nothing rattles in the hands, no loose parts, the insides are protected against shavings.
- Smooth running of the blade, relatively quiet operation.
- It has a long service life without overloading.
- Compact size is convenient for manipulation in hard-to-reach places and for transportation.
- Wide range of blades for electric sabre saws for different types of materials.
- It comes with a set of low-quality saws. you have to buy them separately.
- During long-term work, the gearbox (front section) becomes very hot and breaks are necessary.
- Short power cord 2.5 m always requires carrying.
- On the outside, at the place of webbing connection, there is a little play.
- No button to prevent accidental start-up.
- Number of revolutions is not adjustable.
- No pendulum motion, so at great depths you have to help the saw push the sawdust out of the cutting line.
Conclusion. This sabre saw is suitable for fine tuning small details in a log house or for installing a long fence by yourself. 900 W power and soft start for high cutting performance and accuracy. With its help it will be convenient to prepare openings for the insertion of windows, align the upper edge of the fence.
AEG US 900 XE
Sabre saw features 900 W power and 19 mm stroke. In addition to the patented “Fixtec” keyless tool change system, this model has a one-touch adjustment of the cutting depth. On the body there is a switch between the normal and oscillating strokes that help remove sawdust.
- 4 meter long cord, ideal for working in the woodshop away from the wall outlet.
- Supplied in a plastic carrying case with blades and carrying case.
- The 900 watt power is excellent for materials of all material densities (plastic, wood, metal).
- Low weight 2.9 kg for a semi-professional tool.
- The cutting depth is set by repositioning the platen.
- The start button is wide and easy to hold for a long time with a few fingers.
- Easy maintenance to replace carbon brushes without dismantling the housing.
- Setting the blade in two positions.
- Can cut along a curve and cut flush to the wall.
- Large D-handle fits large hands.
- No soft start and no RPM under load.
- Poor quality stock blades.
- Strong vibration that fatigues the hands.
- Soft rubber on the clamp at the front. when working with foam blocks it gets chipped from the coarse sawdust.
- The pendulum swing is available as a stand-alone mode, but it’s not adjustable. always at maximum swing.
- Absolutely impossible to work with one hand, so not much use in hard-to-reach places.
Output. The sabre saw is well suited for trimming thick branches, old tree trunks in the garden, or trimming logs. The reciprocating saw blade expands the kerf and keeps it from overheating. It prevents the saw from jamming and allows 4 to 5 hours of use a day.
Tips and tricks
If the saw cuts awkwardly, the problem may be a dull chain, and one row is more worn than the other. Sharpen or replace the chain with a new one. To avoid uneven wear, turn the tire upside down during operation.
Read more: Champion 142 16″ chainsaw review. Basic equipment. Features of application and safety precautions
If it does not pick up speed, you need to replace the carbon brushes, which wear out over time.
To not be afraid of power surges, install a stabilizer.
Tips and tricks for your electric chainsaw
Many experienced electric saw users recommend installing a stabilizer, which will protect the mechanism of the electric saw from power surges. Thus, you will protect yourself and your equipment from breakage, failure and additional repair costs.
If while working, the electric saw doesn’t pick up enough revolutions, sufficient for a comfortable wood sawing, it is necessary to replace the carbon brushes. The fact that they wear out quickly, and it is important to inspect the saw from time to time to detect the appearance of problems.
Positive aspects when working with a saber saw
Compared to other types of saws, the saber saw has several advantages. The positive aspects when working with a sabre saw are the power of the tool. Even with a cheap (comparatively) machine you can successfully perform tree trimming, cut planks with a thickness of 3-4 cm. The time required for such work with a power saw will be many times less than with a hand saw.
powerful tools are able to cut through metal, used for professional purposes. The presence of variable speed makes it possible to work with different materials.
If we compare the device with an electric jigsaw, the sabre saw has a much wider scope, due to its design it can be used in places where a jigsaw is simply inapplicable.
The saber saw is a fairly easy tool to handle. It can be quickly mastered by a person who is even slightly familiar with any electrical device.
There are techniques that can simplify the use of a machine. Among them:
- Flexible, long-length blades are suitable for making a level cut with anything. And it will turn out neat. Such blades are suitable for materials in hard-to-reach areas. When you need to cut a pipe from the wall flush with it, it is enough to bend the edge of the blade a little and turn on the machine.
- The saber model is sometimes compared to an electric jigsaw, but it’s rougher. It has been noted that during operation the device provokes strong vibrations, and the support can deform the face of the processed object. To avoid this, it is sufficient to attach a soft material to the sole of the machine that reduces vibration. Then you don’t have to worry about scratches.
- The bottom of the tool presses firmly against the cutting surface to minimize vibrations and make the cut more accurately. But because the teeth are close to the tip, they wear down more. It is better to use models with adjustable blade height. This will result in a more evenly spaced cut.
- To speed up the working process, the machine should be held at a small angle to the surface. So it is possible to reduce the contact between the material and the equipment, which reduces friction, speeding up the process. The main thing is to hold the blade firmly against the surface.
- Sometimes the blade will bend in the process. This can be corrected with a hammer. The blade is placed on a flat piece of wood and tapped. It is necessary to knock along the full length of the machine, without hitting the teeth so that they do not become dull.
The reciprocating saw has many additional functions. The motion of its blade can be both straight and pendulum-like. In some models the teeth can be set up or down. A special thumb wheel lets you limit speed. This is a useful tool that is sure to come in handy in the home.
How to fix a bent blade
Sometimes it can happen that the cutting blade gets bent while working with the sabre saw. But that’s no reason to get upset or even throw it away. It is quite possible to return it to its original shape with a hammer and a flat wooden bar.
When dressing, avoid knocking directly on the saw teeth to avoid damaging them.