Make a cut without stopping
It is advisable not to stop while cutting wooden parts. The circular saw should run smoothly through the material and not be interrupted. Otherwise, unevenness and cuts will remain on the boards, which will interfere with the further use of the tree.
Movements should be smooth and soft so that the disc does not become dull and runs smoothly on the board. It is also advisable to check the length of the cord in advance. If it does not reach, use an extension cord. Otherwise, the tree will also be cut unevenly.
How to cut a long board in half
The circular saw also handles very long materials. For this, the workplace must be carefully prepared. It is required either to put the slats under the board, or to saw on the trestles. The technology is almost the same.
The bottom line is to allow the end of the board to fall slightly during the cut, without losing the position of the circular saw. At the end of the work, the piece to be sawn off will simply fall to the floor, which will be the end result. The main thing is that the board does not fall off before it is completely cut.
HOW TO USE A CIRCULAR SAW FOR BEGINNERS- PART 1
tips on how to properly cut wood with a circular saw
The circular saw is a versatile tool for cutting all kinds of parts and elements. To carve wood with this tool, you need to familiarize yourself with some rules that will facilitate the work and help you safely saw the object into small parts. 5 tips on how to properly cut wood with a circular saw will greatly simplify the task of repairing.
Sticky tape for sawing
In order to avoid chips on the material, and the veneer retains its original appearance, you can use sticky tape or, in another way, molar tape. It will not leave marks on the wooden board, and will also protect the tree from visible mechanical damage.
The tape is attached in the place where the cut will be made. Next, you should carefully cut the board, after which you can remove the molar tape. It can be dismantled only to the side of the cut and at a right angle. The main thing is not to pull the tape up, so that the plywood does not delaminate.
How to cut a window in a piece of plywood
Sometimes the boards need to be sawn inside, cutting out the so-called “window” from the common part. But this must also be done in compliance with special rules. First, you need to mark a point at the cut point. It should line up with the corner and middle portions of the circular disc. During the entire process, the marked line of the cut should be slightly to the side.
The main thing is to smoothly lower the circular disc into the plywood so that a return blow does not occur. Further, at full power, you can directly cut. Completion of work can only be carried out when the tool has come to a complete stop.
How to cut a small piece of board without the goats
You can easily use a circular saw to cut small pieces. To do this, you can not even use the goats, but simply put the board with its edge on the toe of the leg, the shin will serve as a support. Next, it is worth drawing the cutting line, aligning the tool on it and making a cut.
The main thing is to maintain a safe distance from the incision to the leg. It must be more than 30 centimeters. At the end, the element to be sawn will simply fall to the floor, where the client should lie in advance under the sawdust.
The circular saw is suitable for cutting elements of any complexity and shape. It is necessary to follow the rules and safety requirements so as not to spoil the material and injure yourself. Therefore, these tips will help you avoid mistakes when sawing wooden planks with a circular saw. They must be adhered to, then the work will be done efficiently and without defects.
Algorithm of operation
Hand and stationary circular saws have a similar working principle. But hardware management has some differences.
Types of jobs
The scope of the circular saw depends on its size and type.
Classification of types and sizes
Circular saws are divided into two classes. household and professional. The equipment differs in power, size and saw blade diameter:
- Household models are small equipment weighing 4 to 5 kilograms, which is usually used for sawing wood at home. Equipment power. no more than 1800 watts. The size of the disc in such saws is 160. 200 millimeters.
- Professional circular saws are designed for processing large amounts of wood. They are capable of sawing beams up to 85 millimeters thick. The weight of such equipment exceeds 8 kilograms, and the disc diameter is 250 millimeters. Professional saws have a higher power. over 1800 watts.
Household circular saw model
Several types of circular saws are produced:
- Standard. The model is designed for cutting wooden blocks with a density of up to 85 millimeters.
- Mini saw. A small circular device weighing up to 2 kilograms and a power of up to 800 watts. Used for cutting thin wood.
- Submersible. Equipment is used to cut holes inside the tree. The design of such a saw consists of a mechanism that contributes to the vertical immersion of the blade.
- Diamond. This type of equipment is designed for cutting hard materials. stone, ceramics or tiles. The working mechanism of the device consists of a diamond disc, which will allow cutting to a depth of 55 millimeters.
- Rechargeable. Such a circular tool has low power and rather compact dimensions. The device is powered by a rechargeable battery and is often used in the construction of wooden houses.
Circular saws are divided into four types, depending on the immersion depth of the blade:
- professional. from 65 to 140 millimeters;
- large. from 70 millimeters;
- medium. 55 millimeters;
- small. from 40 to 46 millimeters.
The number of teeth on the disc is of no small importance for the quality of the cut. The fewer there are, the lower the performance of the circular equipment. For large-scale wood processing, special carbide-tipped cutting attachments are used.
Nuances of additional functions
Modern models of circular saws are safe equipment with high technical parameters. Many devices are equipped with additional features that make your workflow much easier:
- Slip clutch. Such a device avoids injury when the disc is jammed. The clutch can significantly reduce the shock when the rotating mechanism stops.
- Smooth start. This feature allows the disc to pick up speed without jerking. Smooth start protects the mechanism from jolts, which has a positive effect on the operating life of the engine.
- Overload protection. When the engine reaches critical indicators, the mechanism is automatically turned off.
- Support the required disk rotation speed. Power is automatically added under load when cutting dense materials. This function protects against a decrease in the disc speed.
- Accelerated braking. The disc stops abruptly when the shutdown button is pressed.
- Lock start buttons. This function prevents the instrument from turning on if the switch is accidentally pressed. It is usually set by pressing two keys at the same time.
Device and principle of operation
The design of the circular saw is pretty simple. The device can be manual, or stationary type, combined models are also found.
Regardless of the type, the equipment consists of a saw and a base plate. The last element is made from durable steel sheets or aluminum alloys. The main purpose of the circular saw is an accurate and high-quality rip sawing of wood.
A circular saw
Cutting boards and bars is carried out by rotating discs, which have special covers that protect against injury during the working process. The cutting part is triggered by a trigger. Circular equipment allows you to process large volumes of wood.
The circular hand saw is an efficient and safe tool. But nevertheless, the use of such equipment requires compliance with some operational rules:
- Electrical connection. When using the saw in areas remote from the mains, an extension cord is often used. It must fully match the power of the circular instrument. Before connecting it, check the integrity of the cable insulation. When connecting the saw to the mains, make sure that the switch on the device is off.
- Fastening material. Wood to be cut should be well fixed on a flat surface. For this, the material is placed on a workbench and fixed until it is completely stable.
- Setting the cutting depth. The required indicator is determined using a special scale on the instrument. When cutting a bar, the disc must not protrude beyond the material, otherwise the workbench may deteriorate. Therefore, it is recommended to fix the cutting depth slightly less than the required value.
- After setting all the necessary parameters, the cutting mechanism should be set in motion. Cutting should only be started when the blade is rotating. The movement of the saw along the material must be smooth and even.
At the end of the working process, the hand-held circular tool must be disconnected from the mains.
The use of circular machines has its own operational features. To cut wood you need:
- Set the switch on the equipment to the off position. Only then can the cable be connected to the electrical network.
- Raising the handle, adjust and fix the cutting height of the disc according to the size of the material prepared for cutting.
- Check the position of the guide bar and saw blade. Their arrangement must be parallel to each other.
- Start the circular saw and make a longitudinal cut of the wood material. Sawing one board should be done in a single approach.
Using a stationary circular saw
After processing all the material, turn off the switch on the equipment, which stops the rotation of the blade, and disconnect the tool from the mains.
How to work with a circular saw?
A circular saw is a special equipment designed for even cutting of boards or wooden beams. The use of the device requires some knowledge and skills. To understand how to use a circular saw, you should familiarize yourself with its principle of operation and operational capabilities.
Setting up the circular saw before work
Before you start sawing, you need to install the blade and make sure that it is firmly in place. The cover should open and return to its original position without any resistance. It is also worth checking to see if the riving knife is properly positioned. Then run the saw idle for 10 seconds to make sure it is working properly.
To set up the circular saw, you need to adjust the required position of the guide pin and cutting blade using a vernier caliper. When checking the position of the teeth in front and behind the disc, the difference should not be more than 0.05 mm. You also need to install the riving knife and blade so that they are on the same line. For their precise adjustment, special washers are used. The fixing bolts must be tightened well to keep the tool and table less vibrating.
Preparing the workplace for work
It is necessary to remove all unnecessary items from the desktop. There should be no tools, keys or consumables. In addition, you need to provide a free approach to the table. The floor in the work area must be dry to avoid accidental slipping. The machine must be grounded.
There are also requirements for the operator’s work clothes. Clothes need to be tucked in so that there are no fluttering ends. If you have long hair, pick it up and hide it under a hat. Wear safety goggles and a respirator. Wearing ear protectors is recommended as the noise level can be quite high when working with a circular saw.
Before starting the saw, you need to check it for defects in the saw blade, make sure that it is secured properly. Check if the riving knife is installed correctly and then check that the guard is working properly.
If your saw has a short cable, you may need an extension cord to help you navigate the work area comfortably. It is advisable to use a circular saw with a soft start function so that the tool does not jerk when starting.
How to cut a board straight with a circular saw
Unlike a stationary pendulum saw, it is more difficult to make a straight cut with a circular saw. This will not be a problem if the board or bar is narrow, but to cut a wide workpiece or when cutting longitudinally, you need to know how to make the cut as accurate as possible. To do this, you need to adhere to the following sequence of actions:
- There should be nothing under the piece of material that you will be sawing. The circular saw blade should not cut anything else. For example, never place the board on a concrete floor. use trestles or a saw table instead.
- Mark the line along which the saw blade should go. Use a tape measure, ruler or square for this.
- Adjust the cutting depth. The blade should barely protrude beyond the workpiece. For example, if the thickness of the workpiece is 40 mm, the cutting depth should be 45-50 mm.
- Check the condition of the guard. It should rise gently when the saw is lowered onto the workpiece, and immediately close the working part when it is raised.
- When starting to cut, look at the front right edge of the blade and align it with the mark on the material.
- Look at the right guide of the circular saw for right angle cuts, and the left guide for 45 degree cuts.
- Start cutting the material. Watch the guide at all times to make an even cut.
- Keep the saw base flat on the material at all times.
- Push the saw hard enough to cut, but do not push too hard to overload the engine. The hardest woods should be cut with minimal effort.
- After finishing cutting, make sure that the safety guard is back in the closed position.
Correct operation of the circular saw
The hand-held circular saw is one of the most important tools in the woodworking industry. It significantly increases the speed of working with wood or plastic, sheet material, planks and timber. It is most often used for cross-cutting, but it can also be used for sawing along the grain of the wood. In this article, we will tell you in detail about the range of use of circular hand saws, setting them up before work, work techniques and safety rules.
What can be done with a hand-held circular saw
Manual circulars are suitable for a whole list of jobs:
- facing several wooden blanks at once, which lie in the same plane;
- facing wide boards, for which you cannot use a pendulum saw (you will need a parallel stop);
- trimming boards when laying floors;
- facing workpieces at an angle (you can use a guide or do without it);
- longitudinal cutting of workpieces at an angle;
- sampling a quarter in a board or bar;
- cutting sheet materials using a guide;
- cut of organic glass and plastic;
- using the hand saw as a stationary saw by mounting it to the table.
Circular saw safety
Circular saws have a relatively high risk of injury, therefore safety precautions must be followed when working with them.
Safety tips when using the saw
Before starting work, run the circular saw with no load. As you cut the material, observe the following rules and recommendations:
- When starting work, you should stand on the left side of the machine so that if the workpiece is accidentally thrown out, it will not hit you.
- Make sure there are no nails, pins, pieces of dirt or concrete in the workpiece or on the surface of the workpiece that might interfere with the cut.
- It is forbidden to transfer objects over a working circular saw.
- If there are knots or cracks in the wood, drive the saw more slowly when approaching them.
- When changing the saw blade, be sure to unplug it.
Working with a circular saw on wood video
The forerunners of modern automatic saws were tools made of stone, bones, on which jags were applied from one edge. The beginning of this instrument was laid in the fourth millennium BC. They are used both in household work and in the creation of various works of art.
Then, stone and bone were replaced by copper, iron, steel. The first power saws appeared in Germany in the XXIV century. Saws with an electric motor became widespread only in the 20th century.
According to users, this good hand-held circular saw is versatile as it can be used to cut different wood densities. Safety is especially appreciated by users, as it reduces the risk of injury. The operator can change the range from 0 to 50 degrees during operation. Users emphasize that when using the equipment, they get an excellent view of the mowing line of the cut, as the design is ergonomic.
Select model by price: Skil 5740 LA
This equipment, which has a capacity of 700 watts, is characterized by 4300 rpm. The cost of the tool is 3,700 rubles, the landing diameter is 16 millimeters, the cutting depth is 40 millimeters. If you need to make a straight, accurate cut in a tree of any species, then you can use this model. Despite its modest characteristics, this equipment has other impressive advantages, including. ergonomic design, comfortable grip, compactness and low weight. 2.4 kilograms. The instrument uses a power button lock to prevent accidental starting. Increased stability is guaranteed by a large metal wide support. There is a special compartment for storing the key.
What is a circular saw for?
It is designed to cut coniferous and deciduous boards with a moisture content of no more than 50% and a thickness of no more than 64 mm. It is allowed to cut plywood, aerated concrete, chipboard, asbestos-cement and cement-particle boards.
Battery Saw Performance Overview
If you prefer autonomy, then it is best to choose a battery model, but you should be prepared for less performance. Among other things, the rotational speed will also be significantly lower than in electric circulars. Such models perfectly cope with wood of small thickness and low density. As practice shows, the battery charge may be enough for 30-50 minutes of operation, after which the battery will need to be charged. This can cause some inconvenience, since charging sometimes takes up to 4 hours.
The device and principle of operation of individual units
For a better understanding of the principle of operation of the tool, it is necessary to understand the structure of its main units.
How it works?
The design of the circular saw is simple and reliable. Its main elements are:
- Electric motor. It is the power plant for the saw. It drives the saw blade;
- Housing. Performs the role of a supporting structure on which all elements of the circular are mounted;
- Handle with pad. Serves for the convenience of work, turning on and holding the tool;
- Support platform. It is necessary for convenient movement of the saw along the workpiece being cut;
- Protective cover. Protects the operator when working with the tool and removes chips from the work surface.
The circular is based on the principle of converting electrical energy into mechanical.
When the device is connected to the AC mains and the start button is pressed, the circuit closes. Electric current is supplied to the stator winding of the electric motor. The resulting magnetic force field rotates the rotor of the motor and the shaft connected to it. The other end of the shaft is connected to a worm or auger gearbox, which transmits rotation to the saw blade through the drive axle.
To better understand the principle of operation, we will analyze the operation of a circular saw using the example of sawing a wooden blank. To do this, follow these steps:
- First of all, you need to choose a blade that will fit the material being cut. Hardwoods are best cut with a victorious toothed blade;
- put the disc on the circular drive shaft and fix it with a flange or nut. The direction of rotation of the disc must correspond to the indicators shown on the protective casing;
- install the parallel stop (not to be confused with the guide rail) on the tool sole and fix it with a nut;
- using the adjusting device, set the required angle of inclination of the circular;
- adjust the cutting depth depending on the thickness of the workpiece. This is done by loosening the fastening of the support surface and moving it to the required distance. After that, you need to fix the workpiece with a clamp, plug the tool into an outlet and get to work.
What is it and what can she do?
A circular saw is a specialized tool mainly designed for sawing wood and wood products. Structurally, it can be divided into the following types:
In all cases, a metal disc with teeth located around the circumference is used as a cutting element.
With a circular saw, you can cut wood with a depth of 60-70 mm, some craftsmen even manage to cut a 100×100 bar or a 150×150 log with a circular saw using special tools.
The tool can also cut plywood, Laminated Particleboard, Particleboard, Fiberboard and even soft metals. The main thing is to select the right blade for each task, use the correct cutting techniques and fixtures.
The saw blade is the main working unit of the circular. Designed for cutting wood and wood products. Structurally, it is a metal disc with a toothed rim, with the help of which the tree is cut. The number of teeth ranges from 12 to 100 pieces. Depending on the material of manufacture, they are divided into the following groups:
- Monolithic. Tool steel is used as a material for their manufacture. They have high strength, reliability and maintainability;
- Carbide. The main body of the blade is made from tool steel and the cutting edge is made from various tungsten carbide alloys. Their distinctive features are high tooth strength and long service life, which is why they are used for processing hard types of wood.
How the emergency stop of the circular saw works?
No way, tk. there is no emergency stop at the hand-held circular saw. That is why, during work, the operator must stand to the side of it and hold firmly with both hands, and there should be no one around. When the disc is jammed, the tool can fly out of the operator’s hands and fly several meters to the top or to the side. In the best case, the cover will have time to work and cover the saw blade.
Some handheld models use an intermediate shaft between the disc shaft and the electric motor, which cuts during seizure, but this is more aimed at preserving the electric motor than at the safety of the operator.
Stationary power saws have an electromagnetic brake that stops the rotation of the blade. It also makes it possible to simply stop spinning the disk faster.
Cutting angle control system
The cutting angle control system includes a support sole, an adjusting device with a lock and a measuring scale.
The support sole is located at the bottom of the instrument. Made of aluminum or structural steel. Serves for convenient movement of the tool over the work surface. There are devices for adjusting the angle of cutting vertically and horizontally.
For ease of use, the saws are equipped with a measuring scale that allows you to more accurately adjust the working angle.
The safety system of the circular saw is represented by a protective cover that is located around the saw blade. It is designed to prevent the operator’s hands from coming into contact with the saw blade and to prevent injury from damage. High-strength structural steel is used as the material for the casing.
How to Use a Circular Saw. Everything you need to know. | Woodworking Basics
The casing construction consists of two segments. The upper one is rigidly fixed to the saw frame, the lower one is movable. When it comes into contact with the work surface, it enters the gap between the disc and the top and does not interfere with the work. After completion of work, it automatically returns to its original position thanks to the coil spring.