Stage 2. performing cutting of ceramics
Cutting tiles with a glass cutter is similar to cutting glass with the same tool. The soaked and marked ceramic sheet should be placed on a flat hard surface with the glossy side up. It is best to wear work gloves to avoid injury to your hands. On the mowing line, the markings require a glass cutter by pressing on it. For the accuracy of the line, it is best to use a ruler, angle or template as a guide. It is recommended to guide the cutting tool in the direction from the far edge of the ceramic towards you. The pressure on the cutter should be of medium force in order to both cut the tile, AND not crush it.
When cutting ceramics, the main thing is to cut through the strong outer layer. You will get an even, thin line of the groove, weakening the strength of the tile. For a thick plate, you need to make a groove on the back side. The groove from the glass cutter remains Shallow, it is impossible to cut the glass cutter tile. Therefore, a refined clay product needs to be broken into two parts along the mowing line, sawed off.
In order for the tile to be of high quality after cutting, without cracks, it must be able to break correctly. There are several ways to separate pieces of a clay plate:
- It is necessary to arrange the tiles on the table so that the line is cut and the edge of the furniture coincides. With one hand, you need to hold the edge of the tile left on the countertop, and with the other hand, gently press on the free part of the ceramic. Thanks to this manipulation, the tile should gently break along the mowing line of the groove.
- Put a match or a small nail along the mowing line of the cut under the tiles and lightly press with your hands on both sides. If the cut is made correctly, the tile will split along the mowing line of the groove.
- If it becomes necessary to break off a narrow strip of tile, then it is better to disconnect it with pliers.
To break evenly, you need to evenly distribute the force along the entire mowing line and cut. When separating the parts, do not raise them high, otherwise they may fall and break. If irregularities have formed after cutting, then they can be at the bottom with carpentry scissors. If necessary, cut off the tile not straight, but around the circumference, you need to make markings with a pencil, make notches with a cutting tool and carefully nip small pieces with pliers, forming a depression.
At the end of the work, it is advisable to grind the cut place with coarse sandpaper or a grinding stone. You will get a beautiful smooth surface, the cut will look neat and aesthetically pleasing.
How to break incised tiles
The tile is treated with glass cutter. Now it needs to be broken gently.
The absence of a special device for breaking tiles, makes the glass cutter functional for not centuries as a tile cutter. Still, there is more than one way out of the situation. Choose the Most Affordable Possible:
- Place a small nail or other long and narrow object under the tile so that it falls directly on the cut. Now press down on its edges. The tile will break right along the cut;
- Take a tile, attach it to the edge of the table, then pull it back a little and hit it sharply, but not hard. It will break where you need it;
- The same thing, only on a vertical surface. This is for those who have a desk close at hand. It is quite possible to replace it with doorways or a protruding corner.
Stage 3. the nuances of cutting a glass cutter tile, advantages and disadvantages
Special power tools and electrical appliances are much more convenient for cutting ceramic products than glass cutters. But such special devices are much more expensive. Therefore, if tile cutting is carried out at home with small amounts of work, it is more practical to use a glass cutter. After all, it is completely inappropriate to use expensive tools when you only need to cut a few tiles.
Glass cutter has some advantages over other devices for cutting tiles:
- Affordable price;
- Ease of use.
But there are significant disadvantages in the use of glass cutters:
- It is not suitable for large volumes of work;
- The tool is NOT capable of cutting through dense tiles;
- There is a possibility of spoiling the tile.
Using such a tool is not very convenient. The glass cutter has a small roller, which makes shallow grooves. Therefore, you have to break the tiles by hand, which gives rise to the risk of cracking the tile or breaking it unevenly. Because of these sequential marking, sawing and breaking procedures, the entire process of cutting a clay plate is quite long and tedious. Therefore, it is not recommended to use a glass cutter for large volumes of work.
Another glass cutter with its small roller is not able to cut through heavy-duty porcelain stoneware. It is also unlikely to scratch thick floor tiles to the depth required for breaking. The tool is capable of cutting only thin wall tiles. Therefore, for large volumes of work or cutting powerful products, it is better to purchase a special tile cutter.
Great Siberian Ice Trek
Stage 1. preparation for work
If the necessary technology for cutting ceramic tiles is not followed, you can get ugly chipped products. Therefore, you should carefully prepare for work. You should also take into account the factor of future marriage and purchase additional 5 tiles in reserve in case a high-quality cut does not work out and the tiles being processed will burst crookedly.
Before you start cutting tiles, you need to take care of the availability of the necessary tools in advance. For cutting you will need:
- Glass cutter;
- Metal ruler or corner;
- A pencil for drawing a mowing line marking;
- Sandpaper or emery stone for polishing chipped edges;
- Work gloves to protect hands from damage from sharp tiles.
The glass cutter comes in two variations:
- With diamond tip.
A diamond tool is NOT suitable for separating ceramics, therefore only a roller should be used. The tool must be of high quality. A bad cutter will NOT cut a groove of the desired thickness on the tile and the product will break unevenly.
To prevent the tile from cracking during the cutting process, it must first be soaked in plain water. Moisture will fill the porosity inside the clay product, and it will become more flexible and lose its fragility. The minimum time for such “water procedures” is 1 hour, but it is optimal to keep it for 3-4 hours, especially if the tile is large.
To successfully cut a tile, you need to correctly calculate its future size. Take into account the distance between the tiles and the gap in front of the wall by 3 and 2 mm, respectively. Therefore, from the distance from the edge of the last position of the canvas and the wall, you need to subtract 5 mm. this will be the required width of the future product.
On a tile soaked in water, it is necessary to measure the required size of the future product with a ruler. From the glossy side, where the glaze is applied, you need to tents with a pencil or felt-tip pen, which can be easily removed, cut the markings of the future. It should be noted that you can only break off the edge of the tile, not less than 1 cm. Otherwise, you can easily split the ceramics without cutting along the mowing line. Therefore, in such a situation, it is better to grind off the surplus with an emery stone.
Varieties of glass cutters
Glass cutters are manual mechanisms. Depending on the type of the working part, the following varieties are presented:
- Victory. The cutting element is a fixed tungsten carbide and cobalt cutter. The tool quickly dulls during cutting and creates a groove of uneven depth.
- Roller. The movable cutter is a 5 mm diameter wheel made of hardened steel or a chemical compound of carbon and tungsten. The number of rollers can be up to 6 pieces. The V-shaped section of the teeth ensures uniform travel. This leaves a trace that is uniform in depth. In some models, the work part is removable, it can be replaced with a new one.
- Oil. It looks like a roller, but differs in design. A container of lubricating fluid passes through the handle of the tool. The metal head is equipped with a screw to adjust the lubrication supply. Fluid entering the groove Reduces friction and helps to create a uniform cut.
- Diamond. A soldered crystal is used as a cutter. The design of modern models allows you to change the position of the diamond with a screw. This increases the tool life. Glass cutters are produced in two modifications: amateur with artificial crystal; professional with multifaceted sharpening and natural diamond, with their help you can cut thicker material.
When working with tiles, a tool of any kind pushes a shallow groove on the surface, along which the element is broken.
What is the best glass cutter to cut tiles
Glass cutters are used for cutting glazed tiles, since its top layer is identical in structure to glass.
Winning Tool. Least Desired Option. On a ceramic surface, its cutter becomes blunt almost immediately. The cut contains chips and irregularities. The only advantage of the tool is its low price.
Roller rolls are widely used and make it easier to cut tiles, while spraying is smooth. Good models: Pro, 3-roller, with anti-corrosion coating (Russia), course 16901. 6 rollers.
The process of cutting with oil tools is similar to mechanized stone processing. The cut quality is better than with roller glass cutters. The soft stroke of the cutter creates a uniform pressure on the tile. Tiles break more easily. The most popular models are ENKOR and Zubr (Russia), Bohle Silberschnitt 5000 (Germany).
Special substances can be used as a lubricant: Acecut 5503, Milli M2000, Novacan Cutter Oil and T-3133. These formulations have a low viscosity, and do not spread over the surface and evaporate easily. Correct use will extend tool life and improve performance.
Cutting a tile with a glass cutter with a diamond head will be the most easy and efficient. Corundum has the highest degree of hardness among minerals.
A diamond is rigidly mounted in the head of the part. In modern models, it is not soldered into the holder, but fixed to a part that is screwed to the head in the groove. The position of the crystal can be changed if it becomes dull. The use of a diamond glass cutter ensures that there are no chips on the mowing line to cut. The groove is thin, and the break is smooth. Skills are required to work with a professional-looking instrument. Popular models: Brigadier Extrema, Sparta 872405, FIT 16930 (China) Bison expert 3362 (Russia).
When to use a glass cutter
Unfortunately, the glass cutter cannot fully replace the professional tools of the tiler. Its use is limited by certain rules.
First, a glass cutter is too tough for floor tiles. It is thicker than wall-mounted. It can only cut wall tiles.
Secondly, it is not always possible to make the cut even, because there is no way to reliably fix the tile. Possible slight deviations from the cut line.
Thirdly, the glass cutter becomes dull very quickly. DO NOT count on the ability to tile the entire bathroom or bathroom. Maximum ten tiles. Next It is better not to risk it, as the tiles will be the Riot of the clerks in the wrong place.
Which glass tile cutter to use
The most common glass cutters used in everyday life are roller and diamond cutters. The principle of operation of these tools is reflected in their names, and consists in cutting glass with a diamond or carbide roller. Diamond-tipped glass cutters are great for working with dense glass, but are practically unsuitable for the more porous structure of tiles. Roller types of devices, on the contrary, easily bite into the tile material, leaving a neat cutting line.
If you want to use a glass tile cutter, we recommend choosing the roller type, preferably oil fed. This device will be able to cut tiles with a glossy surface, to the second level of wear resistance on the PEI scale (this indicator is indicated on the package). For tighter tiles, a roll cutter is NOT suitable.
Before starting finishing work and, in particular, cutting tiles, you need to take care of your workplace.
Table or any other surface Must be well fixed.
Check working equipment and necessary equipment.
If the room is not sufficiently lit, it is necessary to use portable lamps powered by 12-42 V sockets. Pay attention to cleanliness in the workplace. unnecessary tools and debris lying under your feet can lead to injury.
An employee according to safety standards must be provided with overalls and personal protective equipment. about this:
- Suit made of dense fabric. protects the body from possible cuts and injuries when working with a cutting tool;
- Glasses. protect your eyes from fragments and dust particles. Glasses in them must be made of plastic or shatterproof material;
- Respirator. protects the respiratory system from dust that is formed when cutting tile material. This protector is used when there is a lot of work.
- Gloves. Protect fingers from cuts on sharp tile edges. In some cases, rubberized is used if the surface of the tile material is glossy or has been degreased.
When performing work on cutting tile material, you need to be extremely collected and attentive, use a work surface, and not break the tile along the cut line of the cut by weight or on the knee.
How to cut
If you know how to cut glass, then these skills will certainly come in handy when cutting tiles or ceramic tiles, since these processes are essentially the same.
They differ only in how the markup is made and what efforts need to be made when breaking.
Cutting tiles is not difficult, but it will take some time to, as they say, “fill your hand”. To do this, you can use unnecessary pieces of tile to work out or adapt to the force that will be required for a particular material. Do NOT neglect the “little tricks” that every experienced craftsman has in stock. Step by step, the cutting process looks like this:
- Prepare your desktop. It must have a flat and solid surface.
- Place the tiles face up on the table. Using a ruler, mark the line with a marker. (Use a water-based marker, then it can be easily removed with water).
- Along the drawn mowing line, attach a ruler and slide the glass cutter over the tile from the far edge of the product towards you. Use a metal ruler as a guide and try to distribute the force equally when pressing the cutter. The cut is ready!
- Place a block of wood under the tile (along the mowing line of the cut) and press on both sides. The tile is easily split into two halves at the cut.
- View along the ends of the cut line. If large chips are visible on them, then sand the edges of the tile with medium or coarse sandpaper. This will give the details a complete look.
It is worth clarifying some important points:
- DO NOT cut the tile material in advance, but do it during the installation process. With this option, the minimum amount of scrap of tile material will be obtained, since very few people manage to accurately calculate the distance between the tiles in advance.
- Try to press evenly with the same pressure on the handle of the glass cutter during the cutting process. Remember that if you press harder, the surface of the tile will be covered with small cracks. And if you didn’t add, the fishing line will break out with chips or even break not along the mowing line.
- It is better not to use a glass cutter if you need to make a cut of less than 1 cm. A short piece of tile can break off unevenly during the cutting process and ruin the entire tile as a whole.
- And now about the “little trick”. Experienced tilers advise to soak the tile for 3-4 hours in plain water before cutting. After such “water procedures” the tile material becomes more plastic, and this allows high-quality cutting.
Advantages and disadvantages of glass cutter
Summing up the above, we come to the conclusion that it makes sense to use manual roller and diamond tools for small-scale cladding and in the case when buying a more expensive professional tool. an angle grinder or tile cutter for one-time cutting is financially unprofitable.
Instructions: how to cut glass cutter tiles
Tiling at home. kitchen, bathroom, floor in the hallway. Who among us has not faced similar tasks? What tool is needed for this? How to cut tiles? The answer is simple. manual glass cutter. For small volumes of tiling, it is the ideal choice. Manual glass cutter will make it possible to bring to life all your ideas to improve the interior of the room, while not driving into debt after home repairs.
Preparation for work
Before you start cutting the tiles, you need to get ready to work. In addition to the cutting process itself, you need to clarify some points about the work.
To perform a high-quality tile / tile cut, you need the following set of tools:
- The glass cutter itself (roller, diamond or with automatic oil supply);
- Mowing line marker, preferably water-based, so the markings can be easily removed, Leave no marks.
- A metal square or ruler used to measure and guide when cutting tiles / tiles;
- Table with a stable horizontal surface;
- Wooden block (pencil) for lining in the place of the break;
- Sanding paper for medium and coarse grain size;
- Protective gloves;
Glass cutter selection
If you have settled on a glass cutter as your main tool for cutting ceramic tiles, then there are three models to choose:
- Roller-type glass cutter;
- Oil-type glass cutter;
- Glass cutter with diamond tip.
By far the simplest and easiest to use is the roller type glass cutter. A small roller (also called a roller) as a cutting tool provides a thin line of the cut without chipping at the edges. An oil-type glass cutter is a good alternative, the principle of which is the same as in the roller.
Only it is equipped with an automatic fluid-oil supply to the cutting mechanism. The oil is in the cylinder of the handle shaft and provides lubrication when cutting, making the job much easier. Both of these models of roller glass cutter DO NOT require special training, a beginner master can easily handle them.
A diamond glass cutter requires an “experienced” hand. Only a specialist who knows how to use it by hearsay knows how to use it and has “adapted” to a diamond cutter to undertake to cut ceramic tiles with such a tool. Otherwise, a lot of tile material will be spoiled.
Do NOT worry if the edges of the cut are NOT immediately crisp and clear. Uneven cut depth may depend Not only on a lack of experience and ineptness in using the cutting tool, but also on the poor quality of the ceramic material itself.
Before getting started, carefully study the technology of cutting ceramic tiles. Analyze the tile material you have and think about which type of tool would work best. It is not always worth buying a professional tile cutter or angle grinder if you have little work and can easily cut tiles or tiles with a hand-held cutting tool. Throwing out the thought that you will not be able to do it, take a glass cutter in your hands. you will succeed!
How to cut tiles correctly with a tile cutter: cutting tiles into pieces of the floor with an angle and cutting holes in ceramic tiles
The cutting of ceramic tiles can be straight and curly. Straight cuts can be performed with various tools: glass cutter, conventional and mechanical tile cutter, angle grinder and jigsaw. The cut is formed either by creating a notch and splitting along it or by cutting with a strong cutting tool, such as a disk or a stone saw.
In the first case, a glass or tile cutter is used. Before cutting the tile, markings are made on the outer surface of the tile and a disk glass cutter is drawn along the intended mowing line. After that, the tile is placed on a hard, even surface, a wire or a nail is placed under it and gently pressed. As a result, the tile breaks into two parts with even fracture edges.
The manual tile cutter creates even pressure throughout the mowing line, which results in even splitting of the tile along the intended mowing line. You can also use an angle grinder or jigsaw. In this case, the cut is performed from the front side in order to prevent the formation of chips. Before cutting the tiles, it is better to soak them in water for about a while. It will then be easier to cut. This rule is recommended for all cutting methods.
There is one more rule used when cutting tiles. For cutting use tiles with any defects. over, they select it in such a way that the defective site is cut off. This helps to save material consumption and use it more fully.
Working with a tile cutter
For a significant amount of work, it is better to use a tile cutter. There are two types of this tool: electric and manual.
The manual tile cutter is intended for direct cutting of tiles with a thickness of NOT more than 20 mm
Cutting Tiles and Porcelain Tiles at Home | THE ABC OF REPAIR | from A to Z
Whether you are tiling with ceramic wall tiles or installing porcelain stoneware flooring, you will inevitably face the need to cut tiles. If, of course, you managed to choose tiles of such dimensions that they perfectly and completely cover the laying area, then you can only congratulate you, in all other cases the tiles will have to be cut.
There are several relatively easy ways to cut tiles, with porcelain stoneware it is somewhat more difficult, but here there are options.
We cut the tiles with a manual tile cutter-tongs
At home, cutting with a hand-held tile cutter is convenient. It is inexpensive and suitable for small volumes. The tiles are marked and, with slight pressure, they are drawn along the mowing line with a hard-alloy sharpened roller, which is installed on tongs. To the edge of the tile. Putting the jaws of the tongs. The wide part of the sponges, which forms a small free corner inside, Install the floor of the front side of the tile and squeeze the tile with tongs. The excess part breaks off easily. Such tongs are much more convenient than a regular glass cutter, but they are quite difficult to cut thin strips with them. This is done with a manual machine.
Types of tile cutting tools
The tools available for this action can be conditionally divided into two types:
- Electrical tools.
- Hand tools and fixtures.
- Electric tile cutter;
- Angle Grinder;
- Drill with attachments.
Basic types of tile cutting tools
- Manual tile cutter;
- Glass cutter;
- Hacksaw for ceramic tiles;
- Wire cutters.
And even with the help of a banal large nail and a fairly sharp end, you can cut the tile at home. The cutting process is actually the same as when using a glass cutter. Consider the selection of a tile cutting tool in more detail.
Advice: in order to make the ceramic tile easier to cut, it must be soaked in water for a couple of hours.
First of all, the choice of tools will depend on the amount of work planned. If this is a small fit, without complicated cuts, then you can do with a diamond glass cutter, in the case of a large number of Undercuts (diagonal laying pattern), it is already better to use a tile cutter.
Hand tools for cutting tiles
How to dust ceramic tiles and porcelain stoneware with a jigsaw
In the process of laying ceramic tiles, it is often necessary to make a through hole of a non-standard shape. Ceramics is a durable, but at the same time brittle material, which can be cut with a regular jigsaw, but you cannot use ordinary saws for wood or metal. I read the article, you can find out how to cut ceramics with a jigsaw, and which canvases to use.
Work with an electric drill
- The place of the future hole should be NOT closer than 15 mm to the edge of the tile.
- Before starting work, the tile is soaked in water for an hour.
- To prevent chipping, the drilling site can be moistened with water.
- To prevent the cutting tool from sliding on smooth tiles, masking tape can be glued to the drilling site.
- To drill holes in the tiles, you need to use drills with diamond coating or with victorious soldering.
Now that you know everything how to properly cut ceramic tiles, the better to make holes in the tiles and can an angle grinder dust the floor tiles, you can start working.
The more powerful the drill, the wider its possibilities.
We work as a manual tile cutter
The use of a manual tile cutter greatly speeds up the process. The basic principle is the same as in the forceps. But the cutting roller already easily slides along the strong guides, and the limiter ruler allows you to cut strictly to size and even diagonally. We install the tiles on the platform exactly along the cut line.
The handle of the machine is retracted and we set the roller cutter at the very beginning of the intended mowing line. With a confident movement, we move the roller forward with slight pressure. A shallow groove appears in the tile, after which the tile can be easily broken with the handle in the break position. If you experience any difficulty in cutting, do not try to run the line again.
It may be worth replacing the cutter wheel or wetting the line with water, kerosene or machine oil. the process will go faster.