Cutting tiles angle grinder
Sometimes there are cases when you need to cut a narrow strip of tiles 0.5–2 cm, and an ordinary tile cutter does not take it, because his legs are too wide.
In such cases, you need to draw a line of the notch with a pencil and make a washed down angle grinder with a diamond disc. But if you try to cut it off in one go, the narrow strip will break off in parts. Therefore, you need to smoothly and without pressure walk the angle grinder along the markings to get an incision with a depth of about 2 mm. You need to walk along the mowing line with a disc, and not directly along it, then the width of the already narrow strip will not decrease.
Using the same method, you will cut off a narrow strip by running the same seam several times. The second and next time you can drive the angle grinder faster, but try to press it to the opposite side, then there will be no chips.
It is better to do this work on weight, so the vibration will go into the hands. When you already see that the strip will soon fall, it is advisable to put something soft so that it does not break.
Tile cutting angle grinder with a special diamond-coated disc on tiles
Be sure to wear glasses when working with an angle grinder.
Tile cutter tongs
Tile cutting tongs are the cheapest (200-400 rubles), and they are only suitable for small volumes of work with thin ceramic tiles at home.
After notching, press down on the tile with a cracking pliers
- Make markings taking into account all gaps and seams (-5 mm).
- Attach a metal ruler to the mowing line and run the cutter along the line once. The pressure should be moderate to form a visible streak. Lead him from the far end to you.
- Place the tongs with their feet along the mowing line of the crowbar near the edge. The sponges should be on top of the glaze and the straight part on the bottom. the line of the break should run right in the middle between the edges of the upper lip.
- Press gently on the handles to break off the tiles. At the same time, do not raise it high, otherwise after falling it will break.
How to cut tiles without a tile cutter
If you only need to cut a few tiles, it doesn’t have to be spent on a tile cutter. You can use the tools at hand:
- Glass cutter.
- Drill. It should preferably be with a victorious tip, as it will scratch the tile better.
- Construction knife.
Attach a metal ruler to the notch and draw once with a glass cutter or drill. A deep scratch should remain on the enamel. If you use a knife, but will need to carry out several times.
Place the tile with the cut at the corner and press down on its edges with a sharp motion. The cut will not turn out perfectly even, unlike the tile cutter, but you will not have to spend extra money either.
To make cutting ceramic tiles easier, many craftsmen soak them in water for about 1 hour.
We make a drink at 45 degrees
Ceramic pencil skirting is best for protecting the sharp outer corners of tiles
If you are using a professional electric tile cutter, the tilting platform there makes it easy to make a 45-degree angle on the tile bevel, but not everyone has such a tool. It is easy to make such an angle on your own using the same angle grinder “by eye”. The disc is guided along the line of the cut, with the disc tilted slightly inward.
Undercut tiles at 45 degrees
3 ways to cut tiles at home
Any process of laying ceramic tiles is not complete without cutting it. There will be a lot of it especially if you use some kind of non-standard layout, for example, diagonally. In the last article, we talked about which layout is better to choose in order to get uniform and beautiful cuts everywhere. Now we will talk about how to properly cut tiles at home.
As you know, the tile is made of baked clay, which is covered with glaze on top. It’s hard to break it with your hands, but if it lies on any unevenness, then it easily cracks from a small load. To simplify this process and make the required break line, you need to loosen the top layer of the glaze. that is, cut it, and therefore make efforts to break.
There are 3 main ways to do this:
- Special tool. manual, electric tile cutter or special tongs.
- Angle Grinder.
- Other handy sharp tools.
Let’s talk in more detail about each tile cutting method.
Fast navigation through the article
How to choose the right disc by tile
For cutting, metal discs are used with diamond plating along its edges. But they are different: for concrete, brick, stone. Tiled discs do not have any holes, the soldering on them is uniform and smooth. Discs for concrete have slots on the solder, and will chip when vibrated. If you cut ceramic tiles with them, then these chips can fly into the face.
How to cut porcelain stoneware
It is believed that porcelain stoneware is the hardest material from which floor tiles are made. You can trim it in the same way as a regular tile.
Sometimes simple floor tiles are more difficult to cut than porcelain stoneware. There is a hardened tile, on which, after cutting with a tile cutter, the notch on the glaze is almost invisible. And even a diamond disc does not take it on an angle grinder. the notch turns out to be torn, like after a tractor. In such cases, you need to use an angle grinder, and file a groove 2-3 mm from the back side to mark the place of the fracture.
Cutting tiles with a manual tile cutter
How a manual tile cutter works
- The tile is inserted into the tile cutter, and the markings on it are aligned with a special label.
- The handle is lowered and held away from you. It must be driven at the same speed and even pressure so that the roller cuts the glaze to the same depth. It will be enough to run the roller once. If you drive several times, the breakage may turn out to be of poor quality.
- Next to the roller there are special paws that lower and break the tiles into 2 parts, after a sharp push on the lever. At the same time, all tile cutters have a metal tubercle on their platform, and soft pads along the edges. When you press on the edges of the tile with your paws, maximum stress will be created at the notch, if correctly aligned with the backing, and it will evenly break off.
It is difficult to explain this in words, so it is easier to watch a video that shows how to cut tiles correctly with a tile cutter:
High-quality tile cutters allow you to cut even tiles with a thickness of 10 mm without problems. It doesn’t matter at what angle you cut it: at least 45 degrees, at least 30.
How to cut porcelain stoneware with an electric tile cutter
In the recommendations on how to cut porcelain stoneware tiles at home, you can read that it is convenient to do it with a wet cutter. This is the name of the electric type tile cutter, for which a diamond cutting disc is used. To cool it down, water is supplied to the part during the cutting process (hence the name of the device).
There are two types of equipment: with an upper and a lower supply of tiles. The first ones make the cut as accurately as possible and are more expensive. For household work, budget devices are more often purchased that feed parts from the bottom.
Devices of any type make it possible to make cuts not only straight, but also curved. To cut a piece of porcelain stoneware tiles, do the following:
- We outline the cutting line.
- We fix the part on the bed using special clamps. If you have to make a curved incision, you will have to hold it with your hands.
- We start the device. First, we select the minimum disk speed, so the part does not deform.
- Increase the cutting speed gradually. Make sure that the element does not move from vibration.
An important point. The product should be stacked so that the cutter starts to cut the front of the product. That is, on equipment with an upper cutter, the part is laid face up. On a bottom disc appliance, place the tiles face down.
Cuts made with such equipment are more accurate and better than with a mechanical device. It is especially appreciated by beginners, as it is able to completely neutralize the so-called shaking hand factor. In addition, the device allows you to cut fragments less than 6 mm wide, does not generate dust or noise. The main disadvantage of the device is the high price of quality models.
How to cut porcelain stoneware with a glass cutter
This is the easiest tool to use. It also gives a minimal effect. Using a glass cutter, you can cut off porcelain stoneware, but provided that its thickness is small. This is how the wall cladding is most often cut. The glass cutter cannot cope with floor tiles.
There are two types of tools: with a carbide roller and with a diamond cutter. The latter option cuts better, but fails faster. Its cost is higher than that of a roller analogue.
With a glass cutter, you can make a straight or figured cut. In the latter case, you will also need special nippers. To cut the tiles in a straight line with the mowing line, proceed as follows:
- We lay the cladding on a flat base. Determine where the cut line will go.
- We take a ruler, lay it along the future cutting line of the cut and press it with our fingers.
- Gently, but with strong pressure, draw the line along the ruler with the tool. We try to scratch a deep enough groove at a time. Otherwise, chips cannot be avoided.
- We put the part on the edge of the table or workbench and press firmly on its edge. So that the liner splits along the intended mowing line.
- Grind the edge if necessary.
If you want to make a curved cut, a line is drawn with a glass cutter. Then you need to take nippers and use them to remove sections of the tile. The closer the cut is to the mowing line, the smaller the pieces should be chipped off. The edge with such processing will turn out to be sharp and not entirely even, so it must be sanded.
Cut off the plate without chips
Porcelain stoneware belongs to the materials of increased strength. There are practically no pores in it, it does not absorb water and does not crumble. It is very difficult to even scratch it. Therefore, home craftsmen have the question of how to cut off porcelain stoneware without chips and is it possible at all. It must be admitted that theoretically this is possible, but in practice it turns out very rarely. often, small chips remain on the cut, which have to be sanded.
To keep them as small as possible, experienced craftsmen advise you to follow these recommendations:
- Cut the part from the top side. Most material chips appear where the cutter exits the plate.
- The smaller the thickness of the selected cutting disc for the grinder, the lower the likelihood of chipping.
- Reduce torch speed at the start and end of the line of the cut.
- When working with a mechanical tile cutter, push the lever harder than when cutting a regular tile.
- Make a cut slightly to the right of the intended mowing line so that it remains on the cut piece. Then it will be possible to remove unwanted chips with a sander.
It is very important that the tool is of high quality and suitable for the selected material. Otherwise, it is almost impossible to get a beautiful cut without chips. If, nevertheless, they appear, which happens most often, the defects should be sanded down. You can use sandpaper or a diamond sponge.
The best option is a grinder with a special attachment. This is the so-called turtle or flexible diamond circle. They are distinguished by the diameter of the particles deposited on the surface of the diamond coating. The turtle can only work with a grinder, the model of which provides for the ability to regulate the number of revolutions. If it is higher than three thousand per minute, the nozzle may fly off the axis.
Tools for cutting porcelain stoneware
Before determining how and how to cut porcelain stoneware at home, it is worth understanding its features. It is a composite material that successfully combines the properties of natural stone and ceramics. It is made by pressing a mixture pre-fired at high temperatures. The result is a very strong and durable material. In the production process, it can be given a wide variety of colors and textures.
The surface of ceramics can be matte, glossy, structured, etc. Consider this when choosing a cutting method.
You can cut a tile fragment using various tools:
- glass cutter;
- electric tile cutter (aka wet cutter);
- mechanical tile cutter;
- Angle Grinder;
- attachment for waterjet cutting.
The latter method is not used in a home workshop, since it is assumed that special expensive equipment is available.
How and what to cut porcelain stoneware at home: 4 proven methods
How to cut a porcelain stoneware angle grinder without chips
Almost every home craftsman has an angle grinder, or an angle grinder. Therefore, it is she who is most often cut porcelain stoneware. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to make such a cut without chips, but it is quite possible to minimize their number. For this, it is very important to choose the right disc. He must have:
- high-quality diamond dusting;
- marking confirming that the device is intended for cutting porcelain stoneware;
- the minimum possible thickness;
- continuous cutting edge.
Makita B-30586 Tile Set 1 for Oscillating Multi Tools
An angle grinder is a potentially dangerous tool, so do not neglect the safety rules. You should take care of the means of protection. The kit includes:
- Respirator, as a lot of dust is generated when cutting.
- Safety goggles to prevent possible exposure of disc fragments to the eyes.
- Special clothing.
- Earplugs or ear muffs to protect your hearing from loud noise.
It is not recommended to neglect protective equipment, even if it is planned to cut several plates.
Cutting porcelain stoneware tiles correctly with an angle grinder is quite simple if you follow the instructions:
- Preparing a place to work. Lay a substrate on the leveled surface, which will protect the base. You can choose penoplex, polystyrene, etc.
- We put the part on the base with the front side up, mark the section of the cut on it. So that there are fewer chips, we glue a strip of masking tape on it, draw a cutting line along it.
- We put a metal corner on top of the tile along the cut path, fix it with clamps. This will allow you to make an accurate cut. This must be done when cutting products with a large thickness.
- We start the angle grinder. We cut the part at a time, direct it “away from ourselves.” To get an even edge, cut off the fragment so that the marking line remains on the product. It will be removed during the sanding process, and the tile will retain the specified size.
- We remove the masking tape, if necessary, we grind the end of the part.
If the plate is thin or you don’t need a perfectly straight cut, you can make your job easier. The angle grinder does not make a cut, but only a cut. Then the fragment is broken off with a sharp strong movement.
It is very convenient to use a grinder to cut porcelain stoneware tiles. First of all, because it is the most accessible of all devices that can be used. They can make cuts of various shapes, including any curved. However, the angle grinder is traumatic, you need to work very carefully. It is very dusty and noisy.
How to cut porcelain stoneware with a tile cutter
The principle of operation of the tool is somewhat similar to the glass cutter. There, too, there is a cutting roller that moves along the guides. In addition to it, there is a bed on which the part is laid, a lever and guides. It is very important that the diameter of the cutting element matches the height of the tile.
In addition, when choosing a device, pay attention to:
- The base of the device. The metal from which it is made must be thick enough so that the base does not vibrate or bend during the cutting process.
- Strength of guides and supports.
- Smooth movement of the carriage. It is desirable that this is ensured by special bearings.
- No backlash when advancing the carriage. If it is available, it is impossible to make a straight cut.
Tile cutters vary in length and it is best to choose a long model. This will make it possible to cut porcelain stoneware of different sizes, not only along the side, but also diagonally.
To cut off a piece of porcelain stoneware tiles with your own hands along a straight mowing line, you need to follow these steps:
- Place the tile cutter on a solid, level base.
- On the product we outline the line of the cut.
- We lay the part on the bed so that the trajectory of the roller goes exactly along the basting.
- We make an incision by pressing on the carriage and moving it away from us.
- We release the handle and break the part with strong pressure.
- We grind the cut to remove possible chips.
Working with a mechanical tile cutter is very simple, even a novice master can handle it. There are, however, some disadvantages to be aware of:
- A fragment already 6 mm wide cannot be cut in this way.
- Chamfering or making a curved cut with a mechanical tile cutter is also impossible.
- If the cut falls on the edge under the glue or the surface of the material is ribbed, there is a very high probability of chipping.
There are many ways to cut porcelain stoneware tiles. All of them are quite effective. When choosing the best option for yourself, you need to take into account the presence or availability of special tools and your own experience when working with them. If you don’t have the skills, you should think about an electric tile cutter, it is more expensive, but allows beginners to make even cuts.
How to cut tiles with a jigsaw: evenly and without chips
Features of sawing tiles with a jigsaw
The workplace should be stable with as flat a surface as possible, and most of the tiles were pressed tightly against it. The smallest section should be located on the weight, even if it is exactly what is needed for laying. To reduce vibrations, it is better to fix the tile with a pair of three clamps with rubberized clamps. To avoid scratches, a piece of cardboard or plastic can be glued to the metal base of the jigsaw, on double-sided tape.
When a special saw blade is prepared, and the tile is sufficiently moistened, you can safely start processing it. Cutting tiles with a jigsaw has certain features, and is somewhat different from the usual wood, metal, plastic and other elastic materials. First of all, do not rush and try to speed up the slow cutting process by pressing on the jigsaw or increasing its speed, which should range from minimum to medium values. This approach will lead to the formation of serious chips, and strong pressing of the working tool can even crack the tile. Little pleasant, wasting valuable material, time and resource of the saw blade.
To reduce the likelihood of scrap, it is recommended to cut the tiles at minimum speed, while producing medium pressure sufficient to keep the running jigsaw on the line and guide it forward.
Saw blade selection
In terms of its structure, the canvas on the tile departs from the familiar to us, the classical understanding of the file. It has no teeth, and the role of the cutting element is played by hard abrasive or diamond spraying. The quality and speed of cutting with such a nozzle depends on its grain size. The higher this indicator, the slower the cut, but the higher the quality of the cutting line. A low grit value, on the other hand, increases the cutting speed, but creates more chips in the material. Coarseness is measured in micrometers (microns) and is usually indicated on the packaging of the web.
The hard, and at the same time fragile structure of the tile, like glass, is prone to splitting and requires high precision and accuracy in processing. Acceleration of the stroke rate or increased pressure can easily deform the product, ruining the material and negating the effort expended. To cut the tiles with a jigsaw was the most convenient, it must be soaked for a couple of hours in ordinary water at room temperature.
Sawing tiles with a hand jigsaw
A nimble jigsaw with relatively massive saw blades does not always succeed in performing particularly delicate work or cutting with an inner contour. When it is necessary to make a neat, jewelry cut with a complex pattern, a reliable hand tool comes to the rescue. Of course, for these purposes, you can use a jigsaw machine that works with the same thin files, but this equipment is quite expensive and it is impractical to purchase it for a small amount of work.
As you might guess, ordinary saws for wood and metal for a hand-held jigsaw will not be able to cut tiles. To perform such an operation, you will need a special tungsten carbide wire or a diamond-coated file.
Cutting tiles without power tools
The process of cutting the inflow with a hand jigsaw is completely identical to its electric counterpart, except that it takes several times more time and effort. The tile is soaked for a couple of hours, after which it is fixed on a flat surface with clamps and during cutting, it is periodically moistened with water. Once again, we repeat that the speed of manual work is very slow, and it will take a lot of time even for a small figure. Before work, you should understand this and be patient in advance. To understand how to cut tiles with a jigsaw and estimate the pace of work, we recommend watching the following video.
Features of glass cutting
Of course, you don’t have to use a glass cutter to cut tiles, the following tools can help you:
- Manual tile cutter
- Electric tile cutter
- Angle Grinder
But here’s what to do if there is nothing but the aforementioned glass cutter?
Then we will cut them!
Further. in general, you first need to figure out whether it is possible to cut your tile with a glass cutter. Previously, it was no problem, but now manufacturers produce so many ceramic tiles, which will be difficult to cut even with a manual tile cutter, and what can we say about a glass cutter! Therefore, it will not be superfluous to practice on broken tiles. in general, will your tile take your chosen tool?
The process itself
So, if you have firmly decided to cut a tile with a glass cutter, then the principle of action is as follows:
- Take a meter in your hands and measure the dimensions carefully.
Important! It is better to do the trimming either during the installation process, or afterwards, and “before” is strongly discouraged! Often, craftsmen take into account either too large a distance between the tiles, or a small one, and sometimes they manage not to take into account at all, and as a result, the pre-cut tile simply does not fit in the place where it was determined.
- Next. apply the cut line to the tile itself.
- Lay the ceramic tile on a hard surface, place a metal ruler on the mowing line, hold the ruler with your left hand, and take a glass cutter with your right.
- Now, in one motion. towards yourself. guide the cut along the mowing line by pressing.
Important! Be sure to practice on broken tiles, you need to accurately calculate the pressure. if you do not press it, the tile will not break, and if you push it, cracks and chips will go through the glaze, which will negatively affect the general appearance.
Another point. just lead in one movement, you cannot move back and forth several times in the same place!
So, the cut was made, now take the tile, and, aligning the cut line with the edge of the table, take it for a break.
All! The tile will break exactly along the mowing line!
Now you know exactly how to cut ceramic tiles with a glass cutter, so, without putting things off, get to work!
Ceramic tiles are a beautiful, practical and durable finish. If you decide to wall the walls yourself, you need to be prepared for the fact that you will need separate parts for finishing the areas near doors, pipes and corner joints. When cutting, you need to be extremely careful so that sloppy edges do not spoil the overall appearance of the room. Fig. one.
Figure 1. Tile processing scheme.
What you need to know and be able to easily and quickly cut tiles using a conventional glass cutter?
Subtleties and tools
- It is better to use models with a thin rather than a diamond tip, it is easier for them to cut the tiles, and the cuts will be even.
- If you need to cut more than 10 units, it is worth buying or renting a special tile cutter.
- So that after cutting the edges are smooth, they can be carefully processed with fine sanding paper.
- It is better not to use a glass cutter to cut porcelain stoneware, this material is thicker and stronger, which means that it will be very difficult to make a neat cut.
- With a glass cutter, you can easily and quickly cut wall tiles, for floor tiles it is better to use special tools, this division is due to the thickness of the coating.
- To facilitate the cutting process, the tiles can be pre-soaked in clean water for several hours.
- If the intended line of the cut is 1 cm or less from the edge, it is not recommended to use a glass cutter.
- The use of special forceps will greatly simplify the task. They can be rented or purchased if significant quantities of tiles are to be cut.
In order to quickly and efficiently cut ceramic tiles, you will need the following tools:
- glass cutter with a thin disc (Fig. 2);
- pencil or marker for marking;
- metal ruler;
- a match, a small nail, or a thin piece of wood.
Work order and tips
Figure 2. Scheme of cutting tiles with a glass cutter.
The processes for cutting tiles and glass are similar, differ only in preliminary marking and the force that must be applied to break the canvas.
- Lay the tiles on a flat and always hard surface with the glossy side up. Use a ruler and pencil to draw a line that will serve as a guide. Choose an easy-to-erase writing instrument so that the markings don’t spoil the overall look of the room.
- Without removing the ruler, attach the glass cutter to the edge of the tile farthest from you. Draw one straight line with firm pressure. It will weaken the resistance of the coating, and you can break the canvas into even pieces of the desired size. Try to distribute the force as evenly as possible, otherwise, due to differences in the depth of the furrow, the break may be uneven or jagged. If you are cutting tiles with a glass cutter, you do not need to repeat the tool in the same place.
- Then place a match or small nail under the cut line and press firmly but gently on the edges. You can also touch the tile to the edge of the table so that the cut line is perfectly aligned with the edge and press down to separate the halves. Use small rags to prevent sharp edges from cutting your hands.
- It is important to distribute the effort as evenly as possible, only in this case the cut will turn out to be even. You need to work quickly and confidently, fluctuations can lead to the fact that the cut will be uneven, the canvas will not split into halves, or the edges will be jagged.
- After the ceramic tile is divided into 2 halves, inspect the resulting seam. If the glazed coating has sharp edges, they must be sanded with sandpaper. This will significantly protect the installation process and improve the appearance of the coating.
Once you figure out how to cut ceramic tiles with a glass cutter, you will gain important experience. The same scheme is used for cutting glass and any sufficiently thin coating with similar properties. Now finishing work and preparation for them on your shoulder.
Tile is a wonderful finishing material, common in renovation work. When laying tiles, whole tiles are not always required, from time to time there is a need for only parts. To obtain them, the tiles must be cut. This can be done in different ways: on special professional machines, an angle grinder, a tile cutter, using a glass cutter, or by simply breaking it off the edge of the table. Learn more about how to cut tile with a glass cutter.
If you do not have special tools for cutting tiles, then you can use a regular glass cutter.
Cutting tiles with a glass cutter requires the least material costs and professional skills. However, using a glass cutter, you can only cut glazed tiles with a low degree of strength. Information about the strength of the tiles can be found on the packaging of the tiles. The durability of tiles is expressed in conventional units from I to V on the P.E.I. scale. So how to cut a tile with a glass cutter?
For this type of cutting you will need:
- The glass cutter itself
- Metal ruler
- Flat plane
Is it possible to cut tiles with a glass cutter
For the installation process, you will definitely need to trim the tiles. Let’s then figure out how to cut a tile with a glass cutter.
How to cut tiles with a glass cutter
To cut tiles, you will need a glass cutter, pencil, ruler.
A glass cutter is a tool designed to cut or, more precisely, to apply a groove on the surface of glass, followed by controlled breaking. It is used for small volumes of work or for one-time use. In other cases, they resort to using professional equipment. For household needs, the most convenient and popular is a roller glass cutter. The roller wheel is usually 5 mm in diameter and is made of hardened steel or tungsten carbide with a V-shaped edge. Each roller has a certain reserve of strength, indicated in the instructions. how many meters of glass they can cut. as a rule, in the region of 350 running meters. With the wear of the roller, the percentage of rejects increases. There are glass cutters that provide for replacing the roller with a new one, otherwise, if the roller is worn out, you need to purchase a new tool.
To work with tiles, it is advisable to use a glass cutter with a new roller. A roller glass cutter pushes a small groove on the surface, along which glass, mirror or tiles of the required size are very carefully broken off afterwards.
So, for cutting with a glass cutter, you need the following tools:
- roller glass cutter,
- marker or simple pencil for marking,
- carnation or match.
The tiles are laid on a flat surface, markings are made with a pencil. And make an incision, pressing evenly, hold it with a glass cutter from the far edge towards you, so that a groove appears.
To begin with, the tiles must be placed on a flat and non-slip surface, such as plywood, to prevent damage to the floor or table on which you plan to cut. If there are irregularities under the tiles, the tiles can be damaged. The enamel of the ceramic tiles should be moistened with water and marked with a marker or soft pencil. Next, an incision should be made. For accurate work, you need to put a ruler or a metal level on the marking line, which will not allow the glass cutter to wiggle to the side. Only one incision needs to be made, so you need to focus and make it carefully. Pressing evenly, move the glass cutter from the far edge towards you so that a groove appears on the surface. To break the tile exactly along the mowing line of the marking, you need to put a match or a nail under it and lightly press on both sides of the groove. Some cutting professionals use the technique of tapping at the site of the future fracture. From blows, the crack deepens, thereby facilitating the break.
How to cut wood, plywood, chipboard
Despite many questions and attempts to cut an angle grinder from wood, many experts do not recommend using this tool for such work, but taking other tools for these purposes. jigsaws, circular saws, etc. This is due to the high degree of danger in the process of performing such work.
Among the reasons for the increased danger, the most important are:
- The likelihood of a large amount of wood being captured by the teeth of the disc, which will lead to a sharp slip of the tool from the hands;
- Heating of the disc during cutting, which leads to its fragility. In this case, even a slight skew becomes the cause of the destruction of the disk, which is why its small pieces will fly apart;
- There is a high probability of soldering disconnection, which can lead to injury to the master.
Now there is a wide variety of special tools for woodworking. So why risk your own life?
How to cut tiles, ceramics, granite, tiles
A feature of these materials is a large amount of dust and the possibility of chips during the cutting process. It is important here to approach the preparatory process correctly. If it is impossible to avoid the formation of dust, then it is quite possible to reduce the risk of chips to a minimum.
In order to avoid chipping during the cutting of tiles, it must be moistened with water. This step in time lowers the temperature of the material, which is the main cause of destruction. It will also allow not only cutting the tiles without chips, but also cutting out the necessary fragments. Approximately according to this principle, tiles are cut.
There is also an alternative way. In this case, you will need to operate the stone cut-off wheel. The use of such a circle practically eliminates the formation of cracks and chips.
Cutting porcelain stoneware is more difficult, as this material is thicker and stronger. The best solution in this case would be to use a stone circle:
- make a contour cut along the contour mower line. Then again, until the not cut thickness of the product becomes less than the cut;
- slide the product to the edge of the table;
- break the porcelain stoneware tiles with a sharp but not violent movement.
Cut off, clean up, grind. how to work properly with an angle grinder
An angle grinder (angle grinder), also known as an “angle grinder”, is an effective but extremely traumatic tool. The use of this machine inappropriately enough often leads to various types of injury, damage and injury, in some cases fatal. In most cases, such injuries are inflicted on themselves by non-professionals who for the first time hold such a tool in their hands and have an idea of its work only in words. That is why it is of great importance to study safety measures, operating rules and the use of protection in the process of working with an angle grinder.
In order not to get lost among the multitude of “empty” tips and unnecessary recommendations, choose only the right sources of information. How to use an angle grinder correctly, what protection to use and much more you will learn just by reading this article.
What you can do an angle grinder and where to start
Such a tool allows you to confidently cut, grind, clean and polish many well-known materials, such as concrete and tiles, metal and wood, brick and others. At the same time, for each specific type of work, a special replaceable nozzle will be required. In some cases, such a tool can be used for other purposes, such as cutting an angle glass grinder or sharpening cutting surfaces (knives, drills, etc.).
This power tool is indispensable in the process of construction or repair work. It is actively used in car repair shops, utilities, during rescue operations and in other areas of our life. In other words, the angle grinder is widely used in industry and in everyday life.
The very work of an angle grinder is a hazardous operation. Before starting it, it is important to prepare the instrument itself. In this case, the choice of the nozzle plays a special role. It is important to consider the following points here:
- The diameter of the saw blade. the smaller its value, the greater the rotational speed, which means that it is able to withstand a greater number of revolutions;
- The working material directly affects the choice of consumables. For example, for metal pipes, an abrasive disc, and concrete. diamond;
- Study the symbols and markings of such consumable carefully. This will allow you to understand if the given attachment is suitable for the intended operation.
Types of attachments for an angle grinder
Angle grinder discs are widely used in different operations and must be changed for different materials. over, each of them has unique properties and design. That is why it is so important to choose the right consumable for your angle grinder.
Depending on the purpose, they are:
- detachable. for cutting or sawing materials;
- saws. for cutting various wood products;
- roughing. for grinding metal, concrete and wood blanks;
- stripping. for removing rust from metal surfaces and removing other types of stubborn dirt.
Flap discs are among the most common types of scraper discs. Such tools are suitable for processing materials from metal, plastic and wood.
Attaching the accessory to the angle grinder
- Disconnect the tool from the mains and jam the rotation shaft with the attachment by means of a special button;
- The lock nut must be unscrewed. To do this, use a key with two projections;
- Remove the old drive. After that, a new one can be installed on the mounting flange;
- Screw in and secure the lock nut with a wrench.
Can plexiglass be cut with an angle grinder?
Thanks to the angle grinder, you can easily cut the plexiglass. For this operation, an ordinary ceramic circle will be sufficient.
It is necessary to make a contour cut, and then deepen it. The cut glass will need to be moved to the edge of the table and broken. Remember to cut this material carefully so as not to damage it.
How to cut an angle grinder correctly?
After a suitable nozzle has been selected, the workplace has been cleaned and all the necessary safety operations have been performed, you can start the work itself. Knowing exactly how to cut an angle grinder is important here.
To avoid injury and damage to the instrument itself, it is enough to follow simple rules:
- Please note that the line of the cut itself should not rest against the master, but pass by him. If the disc sticks, the jet motion of the angle grinder will pass it;
- Pay attention to the position of the protective cover. it will provide reliable protection if it is between the circle and the master;
- Do not apply force to the tool. the angle grinder will do the job on its own, you just have to hold it and direct it in the right direction. Excessive force will only lead to a skewed circle;
- Never turn on your clipper if the blade is still in the cut;
- You need to start cutting profiles at the place where the cross-section is the smallest;
- When working with stone, concrete or tiles, dust naturally occurs, from which it is extremely important to protect the respiratory system. You can use special covers with nozzles for a vacuum cleaner or simply suppress the dust with water;
- Be especially careful when cutting the walls. fittings, pipes, cables and other elements can get under the circle, which will lead to a reverse impact.
Remember that before cutting and sawing an angle grinder, you should familiarize yourself with the characteristics of the tool itself and the working material.
What can you grind an angle grinder
Despite the fact that the angle grinder is primarily intended specifically for grinding, it must be prepared separately for each operation. A support wheel mounted on the tool shaft significantly contributes to correct and safe work.
To process wood, an emery wheel must be glued onto the platter. Sandpaper is selected for the material purely individually. This is done by the number of the paper itself. The modern assortment makes it easy to find a circle of the required diameter and size. An additional convenience is the presence of Velcro on the emery wheel, which allows you to quickly change them to an angle grinder.
Thanks to the angle grinder, light sanding of concrete has become possible. For this purpose, it is recommended to purchase a protective cover. He will protect the master from flying dust. Also, such a casing has a branch pipe for connecting a vacuum cleaner.
For grinding metals, a standard metal grinding wheel is perfect. Such a nozzle has different diameters, thicknesses and different grains of the grinding surface. Note that if you are planning to sand a really rusted surface, then first you should go over it with a metal brush.
Features angle grinder Dnipro-M
Angle grinders manufactured by Dnipro-M have increased safety measures. By purchasing a branded angle grinder, you can be sure of their quality.
- during long-term operation, the device’s power button is automatically locked;
- elimination of vibration from uneven wear of the disc due to its balancing;
- auto shutdown of the engine in case of power surges or surges;
- engine cooling function;
- almost instantaneous shutdown of the angle grinder in case of jamming of the device;
- dust extraction system.
In addition, it will not be superfluous to highlight such features of the Dnipro-M angle grinder as: a rubberized handle, which is very conveniently located, additional engine protection by means of a triple varnish coating, as well as low weight and ergonomic design of each presented model.