Lawn mower stalls when you press the gas: causes and remedies for the lawn mower stalls when you press the gas. For what reasons does a petrol trimmer or lawn mower stall when you apply gas? What to do if the lawn mower starts and stalls at idle speed? Proven solutions and tips.
With increasing speed
If the lawn mower (or trimmer) stalls when adding engine speed check the device according to the following signs:
- Clogging or sticking of the valve built into the gas tank cap;
- Violation of valve adjustment;
- Failure of pistons and cylinders from vibration during the operation of the scythe or trimmer, accidental impacts directly in the mowing session;
- Violation of the supply of the air-fuel mixture;
- Extra pumping air into the motor;
- Cracking of the fuel inlet hose, loosening of its connections.
When the air-fuel mixture is supplied in the necessary portions to the engine out of time, it burns the amount that has managed to flow since the last stall, and itself stalls again.
A well-posed question is already half the answer. The fact under what circumstances a petrol trimmer or lawn mower stalls will significantly speed up the search for a solution, namely:
- Immediately after the start;
- When it has been idling for some time after one or several minutes;
- When you press the gas button (or knob) or shortly after starting work at high, near maximum speed;
- Under heavy load (for example, to prune bushes, mow dense and tall weeds);
- When warmed up in the cold, it heats up unnecessarily (the lawn mower has stalled due to overheating);
- After opening the air damper.
During engine warming up
If the engine heats up too quickly, the mower overheats, or the trimmer works unevenly, as if in jerks. Then it stalls. The reason may be as follows:
- Boiling gasoline;
- The ignition wire is damaged (poor insulation);
- The coil in the ignition system burned out noticeably, inter-turn short circuits appeared.
The same heating is observed when using a rotary (rather than disc) damper.
Trimmer stalls: causes and troubleshooting
The lawn mower is a mobile, high-performance tool for beautifying home gardens and surrounding areas. With prolonged use, due to wear of parts or manufacturing defects, malfunctions occur, which lead to the trimmer stalling or not starting. Since this tool is a rather complex mechanism, there may be several reasons why the lawn mower stalls.
Why does the trimmer stall
There are two main ways to troubleshoot problems: transferring the braid to a specialized center or solving the issue with your own hands. The first option is suitable for those who are ready to shell out a tidy sum to restore the unit’s performance, and the second for those who have basic locksmith skills and can independently figure out the causes of breakdowns and ways to eliminate them.
Currently, it is customary to classify breakdowns for which the lawn mower stalls into the following categories:
- Mechanical damage to the internal combustion engine crankcase, malfunctions of the cylinder-piston group (CPG);
- Breakdowns associated with the supply of the fuel mixture (air filter, carburetor);
- Malfunctions due to damaged pipes, hoses, cables or ignition circuit.
The lawn mower stalls at high engine speeds
During operation, a situation arises when, when you press the fuel mixture supply button, the speed of the unit does not start to increase, but to decrease. A malfunction of this nature can be caused by:
Fuel hoses for lawn mowers with filter
- Etching atmospheric air into the combustion chamber;
- Problems with the circulation of the fuel mixture;
- Clogging of the breather in the fuel tank cap (cleaning the hole with a fine sewing needle);
- Incorrect carburetor adjustment.
When air is leaking during the operation of the internal combustion engine, it is necessary to check the tightness of the connection of the pipes and the integrity of the gaskets in the CPG. The problem with the circulation of the fuel mixture can be solved by removing blockages in the fuel pipes leading to the carburetor. If a vacuum occurs in the tank and the fuel mixture does not flow to the carburetor, it is enough to clean the breather with a thin needle and blow it out with air.
The lawn mower stalls when you press the gas
With a similar problem, you should pay attention to the fuel valve, which, when clogged, ceases to pass the fuel mixture normally. The solution to this problem is to mitigate it with a suitable tool. In addition, a problem with the circulation of the fuel mixture may lie in a dirty valve. To do this, simply blow it out with a compressed air stream.
The lawn mower will not start, or will start but stalls. What is the reason?
To understand this, you need to know the principle of operation of the unit as a whole. It also happens that, just bought, a new saw does not start, and it starts running around the service centers, in such cases it is recommended:
carefully read the instruction manual;
to study in detail the method of the first start-up and running-in of lawn mowers;
try to understand how the product works;
how gasoline is pumped and so on.
Causes of malfunctioning lawn mowers:
the quality of gasoline is poor;
incorrect proportion of gasoline and oil;
clogging of the fine filter;
the spark is gone.
The lawn mower will not start on a cold
When starting a cold engine, it is not recommended to press the gas. Tilting the mower so that the air filter is on top, press the fuel suction button 5-6 times, set the function switch lever to the start position, pull the starter cord several times until the engine starts. After a few seconds of running the motor, turn off the starting system.
The lawn mower starts and stalls. What to do?
1. There is a spark, and everything seems to be normal, but the mower will not start, in such cases you should check the air inlet valve to the fuel tank. A clogged valve leads to the creation of a vacuum in the tank, in which the carburetor does not receive enough gasoline, so the lawn mower will start, but then stall. To exclude this reason, you need to clean the valve and try to start the lawn mower with the tank cap not completely twisted.
2. If this does not start the mower, remove and clean the fuel filter and check all carburetor parts, then try starting. The lawn mower will not start again, the air filter is disconnected, try to start without it, if the mower starts up, the reason is in the air filter, replace it.
Lawn mower stalls
When purchasing a lawn mower, you need to be prepared for the fact that, like in all other similar tools, breakdowns may also occur in it that will require repair.
However, you should not immediately run to the service center and pay a lot of money to the masters who convince you that there is a serious malfunction in the device.
The lawn mower stalls at high speed on gas
Perhaps the most common complaint with petrol trimmers is the lawn mower stalls.
Of course, a rather serious malfunction can also be the reason for this. However, in most cases the situation is much simpler than it seems at first glance.
To cope with such a problem, first of all, try to figure out its causes on your own, because after finding out the cause, it is much easier to deal with the problem, and sometimes it even self-destructs.
In fact, there are many reasons for this when the lawn mower stalls at high speeds.
Another is the presence of faults in the power supply system.
In this case, the lawn mower will stall at idle speed. A misalignment or incorrect adjustment of the carburetor can lead to problems with the power system.
The misalignment can be caused by vibrations that occur during the operation of the lawn mower.
Incorrectly adjusted lawn mowers can be corrected simply by adjusting it in accordance with the requirements specified in the instruction manual.
In addition, sometimes gasoline trimmers can stall due to the fact that the valve located in the gas tank cap is simply clogged or stuck.
To find out, try using a scythe while loosening the gas cap.
If the device works properly in this mode, clean the valve.
What’s more, the lawn mower can stall due to poor fuel flow to the carburetor.
Why, then, does the device start up, you ask?
The reason for this is that at first the fuel gradually runs into the carburetor and there is enough fuel to operate at increased power.
However, then it is produced and at high revs the engine starts to stall.
As for the carburetor, the problem here may also be that its body is too tight.
Air leaks can also be the reason for the lawn mower stalling at high rpm on gas.
This is the possible presence of a place through which air can pass during the heating process of the engine.
Be sure to check the fuel inlet hose, among other things. The problem may be that it is loose or cracked altogether.
These are the main reasons why a lawn mower can stall.
Immediately after wound up
The unit may stall immediately after starting if the carburetor is misaligned or incorrectly adjusted, this causes an uneven fuel supply. The result of this is that the device vibrates distinctly. For troubleshooting, the carburetor is reconfigured, following the instructions for the mechanism.
Also, the engine stops when the fuel supply valve becomes clogged. In such cases, it is sufficient to simply clean it. If the mower started working at first, but then immediately stalled, then it is possible that the fuel enters the carburetor unit with some difficulty. Weakening the valve helps to resolve the issue, which ensures free circulation of the mixture in the system.
The stoppage can also be caused by air leakage in the presence of mechanical damage to the hose (holes, cracks) that takes the fuel. In this case, add more revolutions to the drive in order to quickly expel air bubbles from the system.
The lawn mower often stops when it heats up. At the same time, it starts, works with jerks and gradually stops. This process occurs when the gasoline in the carburetor boils or the damper is installed in a rotary rather than disc type. In the latter case, the part is changed.
It happens that the trimmer heats up if the ignition circuit wire or coil is damaged. In order for the device to start working normally, parts are replaced.
Why does the petrol trimmer stall
A scythe with a gasoline drive is a useful thing for owners of home gardens, lawns, and when the trimmer suddenly stalls, the work to clear the area from grass stops. The device itself is a rather complex mechanism, so there are many different reasons for its breakdown. The most common problems are contained in the operating instructions. You should know the reasons why the trimmer stalls in order to effectively repair the device yourself.