Gasoline trimmer won’t start: causes and remedies
- Diagnostic features
- Main reasons
- Ways to eliminate breakage
- Recommendations for use
Given the specifics of using gasoline trimmers, their owners often have to deal with certain problems. One of the common troubles is that the lawn mower won’t start or might not pick up speed. For the fastest and most effective elimination of such a problem, you should have an idea of the main causes of possible malfunctions.
Ways to eliminate breakage
It is no secret that the best and most effective repair method. This is a warning of possible malfunctions. As already noted, one of the key points is how well the gasoline-oil mixture is prepared. Its components must be gasoline not lower than AI-92 and high quality engine oil. The proportions for which the mixture is prepared are indicated in the manufacturer’s manual included with any gasoline trimmer. As a rule, oil is added to gasoline using an ordinary medical syringe. Similarly, it is easiest to observe the Corresponding proportions.
Quite often, if problems arise with starting the lawn mowers, the owners of the tool try to carry out repairs with their own hands. With the necessary knowledge and skills, this approach will significantly reduce operating costs. First of all, it is worth checking the fuel system and, in particular, the filter element. If a clogged filter is found, it is easiest to replace it with a new one. If the air filter has become the source of problems, then you can get out of a difficult situation even in the process of work with little time. You will need to do the following:
- Remove the filter element;
- Directly in working conditions, you can wash the filter with the used gasoline
- When using the scythe at home or at a summer cottage, they use water and simple detergents for cleaning;
- After washing, the part is thoroughly rinsed and dried;
- A completely dry filter should be lubricated with engine oil;
- Remove excess lubricant by squeezing the filter element with your hands
- The cleaned part is put in place and the plastic cover is fixed with screws.
If the described actions did NOT provide a positive result, then the next step would be to adjust the idle speed using the appropriate carburetor screw. This topic is devoted to many publications ands posted on the vastness of the world wide web. There are several steps you can take when trying to resolve the Issues in question.
- The trimmer is placed on the side so that the “air” is on top. This will allow the fuel mixture to flow to the bottom of the carburetor. Often, attempts to start the internal combustion engine are successful if you first dismantle the mentioned part and literally send a couple of drops of gasoline directly to the carburetor itself.
- If, after all the described actions, the scythe did not work, then attention should be paid to the state of the candle and, in particular, the presence of a spark. In parallel, all fuel is completely removed from the combustion chamber.
- Often, lawn mowers’ owners find themselves in situations when the fuel and air filters are clean, the candles are in good order, the fuel mixture is fresh and of high quality, but the GIS does not show signs of life. In such cases, experienced specialists recommend using a universal and proven method of launching many years of practice. It is necessary to move the air damper to the closed position and pull the starter handle once. After that, the damper opens and the engine is started 2-3 times. In the vast majority of cases, the result is positive.
The spark plug can be flooded with fuel during the start of the trimmer ICE. Even with a high-quality mixture and a good spark, starting the device is unlikely to work. The most effective way out is to remove the candle and dry it. In parallel, you can check this spare part for operability, if any faults are detected, replace it. This procedure includes a number of simple steps, namely:
- Mute the device and wait for the power unit to cool completely;
- Disconnect the wire;
- Remove the candle itself;
- Inspect the dismantled part;
- Make sure there is a gap (0.6 mm);
- Screw in a new, working plug and tighten it.
In practice, many repair work related to the fact that the scythe has stopped starting up and which sooner or later you have to deal with during the operation of a household lawn mower, it is quite possible to cope on your own. But in case of serious malfunctions, it would be most rational to contact a specialized service. However, the key factor in such cases will be the ratio of the repair cost to the price of a new trimmer.
As practice shows, gasoline trimmers stop starting or function normally after winter, that is, long-term seasonal storage. Before attempting to run the tool again, thorough diagnostics should be performed to determine the source of the problem. At the moment, there are several Most common causes of malfunction.
- Initially, it is necessary to check the quality of the fuel. Saving in such cases can have extremely negative consequences. Experienced lawn mower owners and experts advise preparing a mixture, the volume of which will correspond to the upcoming work, since its surplus quickly loses its qualities.
- Trimmers of such famous brands as, for example, Husgvarna, Makita, Stihl, are very sensitive to the fuel used. It is about the quality of the fuel and the octane number. Providing suitable operating conditions and extending the service life of equipment will allow refueling with high-quality gasoline.
- At the moment of starting the internal combustion engine, the lawn mower may stall due to the fact that it floods the spark plug. Often in such situations you have to deal with the need to adjust the carburetor. It is worth noting that similar problems arise when the braid stops running hot.
- Sometimes the tool cannot be started, although the plug is wet, which in turn indicates that the fuel mixture has entered the combustion chamber. As a rule, this is one of the symptoms that there is no spark. The reasons may be the lack of normal contact between the spark plugs and the high-voltage wire, or drying out of the threaded connection in the spark plug channel.
- If there are no problems with the spark, and the candle itself remains dry, then most often this indicates that gasoline is NOT being pumped. There may be several reasons for this situation. We are talking, in particular, about the condition of the fuel filter and carburetor.
- The internal combustion engine of the streamer does not start or immediately after starting it stops working, which may be due to clogging of the air filter, which prevents the normal supply of air necessary to enrich the mixture.
From a technical point of view, trimmers can be classified as complex devices. Based on this, it is strongly recommended to carefully study the corresponding instructions before using them. However, in practice, many ignore it, often later find themselves in situations where the gasoline trimmer does not start or gains momentum poorly during operation. It should be noted that similar problems can be encountered when acquiring new models of equipment.
The key to effective and prompt repair will, of course, be a competent diagnosis of the device. In the process of troubleshooting, you will have to inspect and test, first of all, key elements. The list of these includes candles, a tank, filter units and fuel system valves. As practice shows, very often malfunctions of these particular elements become a prerequisite for the lawn mower NOT to start. The quality and correctness of the preparation of the fuel mixture deserves special attention, especially when it comes to two-stroke engines. With regard to this parameter, the manufacturer’s recommendations should be strictly followed in order to avoid serious breakdowns and expensive repair work. In the case, for example, with a piston group of internal combustion engines, costs can be up to 70 percent of the cost of new technology.
Often, trimmer owners have to deal with situations when the specified mixture is of high quality, the carburetor is in good working order and configured, and the device still does NOT show signs of life when trying to start the engine. In such cases, you should check the condition of the candle. The following steps will troubleshoot the problem:
- Unscrew the candle;
- Wipe and dry the part (annealing is undesirable)
- Remove fuel and dry the spark plug channel for 30-40 minutes; such actions will avoid flooding the candle with the next launch attempt;
- Completely eliminate traces of carbon deposits with the introduction of a file or sandpaper;
- Set the appropriate clearance;
- Put the candle back in place.
If the candle turns out to be working and the Landing socket is completely dry, and the scythe engine does not start, then the threads should be moistened with gasoline. It is worth remembering that regardless of the quality of the spark that is emitted, initially there will be nothing to ignite in a completely dry chamber. When faced with the fact that the spark is NOT coming, it is worth paying attention to checking the contact between the high-voltage wiring and the spark plugs. If this connection turns out to be of good quality, then it will be necessary to check the performance of the ignition system control unit. In such cases, it is unlikely that it will be possible to do without the services of a qualified specialist.
The next step in diagnosing a gasoline streamer will be to check the condition of the filters. Often the lawn mower will not start well or will NOT start at all on a cold one due to a clogged air filter. You can identify this malfunction by excluding it from the system. If after that the braid starts up, then you will have to clean or change this element. Experienced users strongly recommend periodically blowing the air filter to maximize its useful life.
The described tool may also fail to start due to problems with the supply of gasoline caused by a dirty fuel filter. To quickly and effectively eliminate such a breakdown, you just need to replace the filter element with a new one. It is important to remember that the suction inlet must be equipped with a filter, as provided by all instructions. Failure to follow these rules and recommendations may result in costly piston repairs. In the process of diagnosing and searching for the source of problems with starting the mower, attention should be paid to the breathers, which are responsible for stabilizing the pressure equalization in the fuel tank. In addition, it is necessary to check the cleanliness of the exhaust port and the muffler mesh. As a rule, such problems are most often encountered when troubleshooting old models.
Recommendations for use
The stability of the operation of any lawn mowers and the absence of problems with starting the power unit of such devices directly depend on the conditions in which the tool is used and the quality of maintenance. And we are talking about the following basic rules:
- In the process of work, it is necessary to pay special attention to the cooling system and other elements; it is strongly recommended to timely and efficiently clean the channels located on the body of the scythe and the ribs of the starter;
- In the process of processing various elements, solvents, gasoline, kerosene and other effective means can be used;
- These works should be carried out after the power unit has completely cooled down;
- It is necessary to fully comply with all the rules specified in the relevant instructions drawn up by the developers of the described tool, which will allow avoiding overloads in the engine warm up, which in turn is the most common prerequisite for serious breakdowns;
- All remaining fuel in the internal combustion engine should be completely drained before long breaks in the operation of the streamer; it should be borne in mind that the gasoline-oil mixture decomposes rather quickly into the so-called heavy fractions, which inevitably clog the carburetor;
- After removing the fuel, it is required to start the engine and let it run on XX until it stalls itself; in this way, the remaining mixture will be completely removed from the internal combustion engine.
Particular attention must be paid to preparing the instrument for long-term seasonal storage. This should be done to minimize the risk of problems with starting the engine. Young training includes the following manipulations:
- Disassemble the trimmer completely;
- Thoroughly rinse and clean all items to which you have access;
- Inspect the parts of the lawn mowers in order to identify defects (mechanical damage found during this should be eliminated)
- Pour engine oil into the gearbox;
- Carry out high-quality cleaning from the clogged air filter element;
- Having the Appropriate knowledge and practical skills, it is possible to perform partial disassembly of the power plant, followed by purging and lubrication of the moving elements;
- Roll up the assembled gasoline braid with a pre-oiled rag.
In addition to everything already listed, it is necessary to lubricate the piston group. This algorithm provides for the following simple manipulations:
- Remove the candle;
- Transfer the piston to top dead center (TDC) with a starter
- Pour a small amount of engine oil into the cylinder;
- Crankshaft cranked several times.
Regardless of the cost and brand of equipment, you should clearly follow all the requirements of the relevant instructions and adhere to the recommendations of developers and experienced specialists. Today, detailed information regarding the correct use of such equipment can be easily found on many specialized sites and forums.
Next, see how to determine and eliminate the reason why the gasoline trimmer does not start.
Lawn Mower Will Not Start On Cold
When starting a cold engine, it is not recommended to press the gas. Tilting the mower so that the air filter is on top, press the fuel suction button 5-6 times, set the function switch lever to the “start” position, pull the cord several times until the engine starts. After a few seconds of engine running, disable the starting system.
The lawn mower will not start, or will start but stalls. What is the reason?
To understand this, you need to know the principle of operation of the unit as a whole. It also happens that a new saw just bought does not start, and it starts running around the service centers, in such cases it is recommended:
Read the instruction manual carefully; study in detail the method of first starting and running in lawn mowers; try to understand how the product works; how is pumping gasoline and so on.
Causes of malfunctioning lawn mowers:
The quality of the gasoline is poor; incorrect proportion of gasoline and oil; clogging of the fine filter; the spark was gone.
Lawn Mower Does Not Start, Spark Has Gone
The loss of a spark entails checking the contacts and the correctness of the gap between them, the conducting wires to the candle and the candle itself. Spark test method. Unscrew the candle, connect a wire to it, attach the candle sideways to the engine casing and pull the starter several times as if starting the lawn mower, while you need to look at the Coal and the contact of the candle, a spark must run between them. If there are sparks, take a new candle, do the same procedure, if the spark is NOT traced, then the problem is in the wire or contacts, it is better to replace them.
The lawn mower starts up and stalls. What to do?
1. There is a spark, and everything seems to be normal, but the lawn mower will not start, in such cases you should check the air inlet valve to the fuel tank. A clogged valve leads to the creation of a vacuum in the tank, in which the carburetor does not receive enough gasoline, so the lawn mower will start, but then stall. To eliminate this cause, you need to clean the valve and try to start the lawnmower C with a tank cap that is not completely twisted. 2. If the lawn mower does not start at the same time, you should remove and clean the fuel filter, and also check all the carburetor parts, and then try to start. Again The lawn mower will not start, the air filter is disconnected, try to start without it, if the mower starts, then the reason is in the air filter, replace it.
Lawn Mower Does Not Start After Winter
In such cases, the unit must be serviced. Remove the fuel system, including filters (air, fuel), disassemble the carburetor, clean and rinse each unit. Blow out the filters with air. Pay attention to fuel quality and octane number.
It should be borne in mind that the products of such well-known companies as STIHL, Husgvarna and other brands will not run on cheap, low-octane gasoline. Suitable fuel for them is AI. 92 and higher from car gas stations and then, from well-recommended ones, since there is also bad gasoline at gas stations. Here are the applications of high-octane and high-quality gasoline, it will depend on how long the lawn mower will be used and how long it will last.
It is necessary to take into account one more fact that with a long storage of a diluted fuel mixture, working qualities fall into it, which also leads to the consequences in which the lawn mower does not start. Therefore, it should be diluted in portions, that is, the amount of the mixture that is produced at a time. The operating instructions clearly describe and explain the mixing ratio of gasoline and oil. Strict observance of the correct proportions will at least save you from several questions, why the lawn mower does not start and what to do in such cases.
Lawnmower Won’t start when hot
If the lawn mower was recently in operation and has not yet had time to cool down but does not want to start. Press the gas trigger, pull the cord sharply several times, until the engine starts and only then the gas trigger is released. If enough time has passed and the lawn mower has cooled down, then it should start as if it were cold. If the above methods did not help, the lawn mower did not start, then you should contact the service center.
- At the service center
- Serviced brands
- Diagnostics and repair prices
- Spare parts
Repair and service of garden equipment.
Specialized service center “AGROTECHSERVICE”. Comprehensive warranty and post-warranty service for garden and municipal equipment from world manufacturers! We carry out sales of spare parts with delivery throughout Russia!
Possible causes of a problem launch
In most cases, there is:
- Improper installation of the fuel system;
- Ignition malfunctions;
- Dirty air intake filters.
Most often, the chainsaw does not start on a cold or poorly starts after long storage, refueling with substandard fuel, a large gap in the spark plug electrode.
In the private sector, the peak of operational failures occurs after winter and in late autumn, after the completion of intensive work on logging and sawing fuel wood.
Restrictions on self-tuning of the warranty instrument
Even in the presence of an easy start system, new equipment that has not been run in will start up tightly. It is not recommended to disassemble the recoil starter by the end of the warranty and repair period.
- For service departments, such a revision may become a reason for refusing a free replacement for more valuable equipment that has failed.
- With self-elimination of minor flaws, such as “gasoline does not flow “or” the air intake is loose “no penalties are applied.
- Practice shows that problems with the launch of budget range chainsaws appear after 2-3 years of operation. In such a situation, the owner has to put up with additional repair costs or rely on their own locksmith skills.
Due to the higher quality of materials and factory assembly, there are an order of magnitude less problems with launching in branded models. However, the recommendations given in this article may be useful for owners of medium to high-end chainsaws.
The information received will tell you the direction of solving the problem when the Chinese chainsaw does not start. Almost all Chinese chainsaw imports are developed on the basis of European models, therefore, design and operational differences are insignificant.
Mechanical seizure of the piston or crank mechanism
This malfunction occurs due to the sticking of the piston in the cylinder or the destruction of the crankshaft bearing. This happens when the engine overheats or if it runs for a long time on pure gasoline.
In the first case, it is recommended to cool the power unit, and then pour a few drops of engine oil into the spark plug hole. In most cases, the engine can be wedged, but the consequence of this incident may be the appearance of scoring on the piston. The tack is not reflected on the chrome-plated surface of the cylinder mirror.
If the measures taken did not give the proper result, the saw must be repaired in a specialized workshop.
Checking the tightness of the connection between the carburetor and the body
When the threaded fasteners are loosened, air is sucked in, which leads to a depletion of the gasoline-air mixture and, accordingly, a deterioration in its performance.
To replace a damaged gasket, it is recommended to use a repair kit, if it is not available, a gasket can be made from a gasoline-oil-resistant material of identical thickness.
Pro tips for mixture control
If the performed checks did not give the proper result, proceed to the ignition check. An inverted wet candle indicates an excess of fuel and a lack of air, the mixture that fills the candle at startup, in such a proportion even a powerful spark cannot be ignited.
To bring the quality and quantity of the air-gasoline mixture to the optimal parameter, a wide range of operational adjustments is used. The cause of fuel overflow in old chainsaws may be leaks in the fuel supply valve and the carburetor float valve.
In standard situations, after a short purge of the cylinder when the plug is removed or the decompressor is turned on, normal start-up is restored completely.
Flushing the carburetor and checking the condition of the jets
If in the course of the work performed, a stable start is not established, we look for a malfunction in the carburetor. In the absence of proper experience, disassembly should be entrusted to an experienced specialist.
The reason for the difficult start may be, in addition to the previously mentioned air leak:
- Nozzle contamination;
- Water ingress into the float chamber and depressurization of the float itself;
- Loose fit of the float valve that stabilizes the fuel level in the carburetor;
- Filling the fuel system with a fuel surrogate or expired mixture.
Serious malfunctions blocking the standard start, such as air leakage through worn out gland seals of the crankshaft ends, changing the ignition angle, due to the lack of appropriate tools and technological equipment, are eliminated in the conditions of repair shops.
Another common condition that the trimmer won’t start is if there is a blockage in the filter area. To confirm the guess, it is enough to dismantle the indicated block and try to start the unit without it. If the trimmer engine starts, you will most likely have to replace the air filter or at least thoroughly purge the old one. If there is heavy contamination on the surface of the filter element, a new mesh must be used. When resorting to such actions, do not leave the suction pipe completely without a filter. After all, haste in this case can lead to the need to repair the entire piston group of the engine unit.
Diagnostics of the candle channel. Adjustment and tuning of the carburetor
- The chainsaw should run for at least 10 minutes, since the adjustment is carried out on a hot.
- Screw H is turned smoothly to maximum revolutions, then turned by?, Counterclockwise, reducing the speed of rotation of the engine shaft.
- The idle speed is adjusted with the screw T, ensuring that the scythe does NOT rotate.
- The screw L is adjusted, at first opening the maximum throttle, and then smoothly reducing the speed to stable minimum.
After adjustment, a working carburetor with cleaned filters and a checked ignition must ensure the engine is running. In the event of a carburetor malfunction, after repairing it, you will need to adjust the feed system again before starting the lawn mower.
- Rewind spring failure,
- Broken or stuck starter pulley,
- Defective starter assembly.
The most important malfunction, the elimination of which is associated with replacing the engine, may be the failure of the engine piston group. The cost of repairs will cost about 70% of the cost of the product. Understanding the reasons why the lawn mower won’t start will help:
Petrol trimmer won’t start. The reasons
Many gardening tools are useful and effective, but there are times when the equipment refuses to work. Among them was a trimmer, which can mow both a miniature lawn and huge lawns.
Reasons why the petrol trimmer won’t start
There are various reasons why the petrol trimmer won’t start:
- The most common reason for a breakdown lies in the wrong choice of fuel. Often too thrifty users of the device fill the tank with something dubious, but NOT fuel with a normal octane number. Low-quality fuel that has been kept in a plastic Canister for a long time has a Terrifying effect. The device, which has lost its functionality for this reason, is sent to a complete bulkhead of the mechanism.
- There is another common situation where the petrol trimmer starts and stalls. The problem could be the spark plug or air filter. In the first case, after inspection it will be found that the candle is “thrown”. This happens even if it has been recently wiped and dried. If everything is in order with the candle, then it is worth inspecting the air filter. Most often it turns out to be oily and needs to be replaced. If the device still refuses to start, then the problem lies either in a faulty ignition coil or in a clogged muffler.
- The device can deteriorate Not only due to low-quality fuel, but also due to improper handling. For example, the fuel is checked, there is a spark, but the device will not start. The cause may be a candle filled with gasoline. To correct the situation, you just need to unscrew the candle, wipe it, dry it and check for operability.
- Sometimes this situation also develops. Gasoline Trimmer Will not start when spark plug is dry. Then it is necessary to lubricate the threaded connection with gasoline. It should be slightly damp, otherwise nothing will catch on fire.
- Often, the owners of the device find themselves in a situation where the gasoline trimmer does not start well when hot. Some craftsmen claim that the problem lies in the ignition coil. Therefore, it needs to be changed, and the device will work. But the problem may be overheating of the engine, especially if a reinforced circular saw blade was attached to the device. To avoid such situations, you should carefully study the instructions, which specifically describe what types of disks can be installed.
The reasons when a new gasoline trimmer won’t start can be the most commonplace, for example, Inability to use the device. If the user stores it correctly, uses high-quality fuel and does NOT leave gasoline in the trim tabs, then the unit will serve faithfully for a long time.
Eliminating the reasons why the lawn mower won’t start
Lawn Mower Will not start when hot. Pull the gas trigger and sharply pull the cord several times until the engine starts, then pull the trigger. Does not start. Specialized repair required.
Checking the ignition system, if the lawn mower does not start, is carried out sequentially:
- The removed candle will be cleaned of carbon and dirt, dried, set a gap of 1 mm,
- Connect to high-voltage wire and check for spark by pulling the starter several times,
- If there is no spark, check the high-voltage wire for continuity,
- Replace candle,
- Dry the candle channel,
- At the same time, the operation of the ignition coil is checked, it is faulty if the working plug does NOT spark.
It is in the event of a malfunction of the ignition coil of the lawn mower Does not start up hot, stalls, works intermittently.
Breather, gas tank air inlet. If it gets clogged, a vacuum is created in the tank and the mixture does NOT go to the carburetor. The hole can be blown out with air or cleaned with a needle. Clean the exhaust duct, remove the anti-spark screen of the muffler.