Option # 1 – lister hiller
This is the simplest type of tool and has a fixed working width. The design consists of two connected and slightly spread fixed wings. Since the wings of the tool are stationary, you cannot adjust the working width by adjusting the hiller to the row spacing. Therefore, when working with such a tool, the aisles are adapted to the capabilities of the hiller, and not vice versa. Traditionally, manufacturers produce products with a working width of 25-30 cm, which is also far from the most convenient option, because the technology of growing potatoes provides for a row spacing of 50-60 cm.
Such tools are designed to work with motor cultivators, the power of which does not exceed 3.5 HP, and the total weight of the unit is 25-30 kg
A feature of the design of lister hillers is also the presence of thin racks that prevent overloading of the cultivator when the hiller is buried in layers of dense soil.
Some models of lister hillers have a streamlined shape, which is more preferable, since when working with such a tool, the soil turns out and dries up less..
Option # 2 – products with variable working width
Such tools are more convenient to use, since they are equipped with an adjusting mechanism with which you can change the position of the wings. This allows the tool to adapt to different row spacing..
Such hillers are designed to work with more powerful tillers with an engine of 4.0 hp. and more, the weight of which exceeds 30 kg
A significant drawback of such structures is their high energy consumption. The reason for this is that during operation, the wings of the tool move the soil to the side, part of which, after passing through it, nevertheless crumbles back into the furrow. As a result, the back and arms get tired faster and some of the engine power is wasted on useless work. But despite this, they are one of the most popular models among most gardeners..
Option # 4 – propeller-type hillers
The principle of operation of the tool consists in the work of special propellers, under the action of which the soil is first crushed and weeds are combed out, and after that the beds are spud with loose soil
Such hillers are intended for equipping tillers and motor-cultivators, which have two forward gears. This is necessary so that in the second gear with an increase in power up to 180 rpm, using the tool you can not only loosen, but also transfer the soil into the beds from the row spacing.
Different models of hillers
The hiller is the second most important tool after the plow and winch. With its help, you can first cut the furrows for planting, and then fill them with planting material.
Carrying out the hiller along the aisles of evenly planted rows of potatoes, you can observe how the wings of the tool quickly pour soil into the holes with tubers
On sale you can find several options for the models of this tool..
An example of self-made lister hiller
As you can see, hillers are fairly simple designs. There is nothing difficult in making a do-it-yourself hiller for a tiller.
To create a traditional unregulated hiller, it is necessary to cut the halves of the product using a 2 mm thick metal template
These halves should be bent until the radii coincide, and then welded in 2-3 passes. Weld seams should be machined with an angle grinder and, if necessary, welded and re-grinded. The result should be a perfect even layer of metal..
The tool wings are also cut from 2 mm thick metal and connected in the same way.
The result should be the following design. For clarity, the thickness of the elements and all dimensions of the tool base are indicated
How to independently design a hiller for a tiller: parsing a couple of options
Potatoes are one of the most popular agricultural crops that are grown not only in our country, but also in many countries of Eastern Europe. Over the course of three hundred years of potato cultivation, agronomic technologies have been created, with the help of which they tried to facilitate the cultivation of the crop and increase its yield. If on an industrial scale for growing potatoes today, tractors with replaceable cultivator nozzles are used for hilling plants, then on personal plots you can use a do-it-yourself hiller for a tiller.
Option # 3 – disc models
Disk hillers cost an order of magnitude more expensive than their traditional counterparts, but the efficiency of working with such tools is many times greater
The main advantages of disc hillers are:
- A successful combination of a tiller with the instrument itself. Using a disc hiller, when the speed of the cultivator decreases, its power increases. This not only increases the efficiency of cultivation, but also has a positive effect on the operation of the unit itself..
- Ease of use. To work with such a tool, you need to make a minimum of effort: it pushes itself forward without requiring additional pushing from behind.
- Versatility of application. With this tool, hilling can be done both after planting the tubers and during the period of active growth of the aboveground part of the crops..
Choosing among the variety of assortments, it is advisable to give preference to models made of alloy steel, equipped with rolling bearings (and not sleeve bushings), with a large diameter and thickness of discs.
Do-it-yourself hiller for a tiller
To make a tiller for a tiller with your own hands, you will need the following tools:
- Welding machine for iron, preferably arc.
- angle grinder with accessories.
- Drill with different attachments.
- Electric emery.
- Gas burner for hardening and heating metal.
- Workbench or vise.
- Consumables (bolts, nuts) and files.
You will need parts that will make up a homemade hiller for a tiller.
In order to get started, you need to acquire drawings and diagrams of the hiller.
Manufacturing diagrams and drawings of the tiller hiller can be found in special literature or in the operating instructions for the motor cultivator.
The diagram indicates the tool sizes that will best fit the device. 1-2cm deviations are allowed.
Disk devices are good helpers for heavy work on the ground.
Do-it-yourself disk hiller for a tiller – the easiest to make.
I cant believe this worked! homemade hill maker and row drag
You will need the following tools and materials:
- metal layers 2 mm thick;
- bearings and oil seals;
- screw lanyards;
- T-shaped leash;
The discs are installed at an angle to each other, the top of the formed triangle is directed forward. The other 2 angles must be equal. If this condition is not met, then the tiller will be constantly skidded, which is not very convenient when working and additional configuration will be required.
The sheets of the disc hiller for the tiller are connected to each other by welding or bolts. Lanyards are attached to them, which perform the function of adjustment when double turning.
Homemade disc hiller is best assembled by following the instructions in the drawings.
There is a second way to self-assemble disc products: the plow is connected to the cultivator using a bracket. The leash is attached to the hitch with a stopper, bolted together. The stopper is inserted into the square tube and then tightened.
Types of hillers for tiller
a tiller with a hiller is an indispensable thing on the land, because it helps to process various types of crops, perform heavy agricultural work.
All accessories from the factory require certain costs. Farmers are thinking about how to make a hiller for a tiller with their own hands.
Types of tiller hillers:
How to make a hiller for a tiller with your own hands: disc, double-row, hedgehog, propeller, drawings and dimensions
Many gardeners and farmers are interested in how to make a hiller for a tiller. Modern agriculture is equipped with new technologies. One of the most important types of farm equipment is the tiller. Motorized cultivators are equipped with additional functions, such as: hiller, plow, opener, mower, snowplow, trailer, etc..
Making propeller hillers
It is worth considering how to collect active hillers (propeller).
For assembly, you will need the following tools and materials:
- metal layer 2 mm thick;
- apparatus for welding metals (arc);
- angle grinder with additional discs;
- consumable material (bolts, nuts, etc.);
- bearings and oil seals;
- T-shaped leash and stand.
Active or rotary hillers are in great demand. They can be made both single-row and double-row..
The double-row rotary hiller has its own advantages: with its help, the cultivation of potatoes is 2 times faster.
Propeller attachments have a drawback: they only fit 3-speed tillers (2 forward and 1 reverse).
The assembly method is similar to the manufacture of disc hillers. They are connected to a motor cultivator using brackets and a rack with a T-shaped leash. The distance between the paddle discs is chosen by the owner himself, adjusting to the size of his cultivator and the width of the rows.
Double-row hillers are the same lister device, only instead of one “triangle” they attach two.
For manufacturing you will need:
- 4 metal foxes with a thickness of 2 to 4 mm;
- welding and fixing tools.
The base of the product itself is made from denser sheets of metal. It should be heavier than the tillers themselves, because it bears the main load and heaviness during work.
Hillers are made from a thin layer of metal, bending the wings outward. In this case, you should use a pipe of the required diameter..
The rest of the fasteners are the same technology as disc tillers.
For better performance, additional fenders can be mounted to the tool. They are attached to the base through a system of hinges on the provided rods..
The angles of the wings can be adjusted to make even the toughest work easy.
Making a hedgehog hiller with your own hands
It will be more difficult to make a hedgehog hiller-weeding machine for a tiller than a disc or lister-type hiller. Therefore, before starting production, you should prepare more thoroughly by watching several video and photo instructions of various “homemade products”.
- First, using an angle grinder, cut 2 circles with a diameter of 27 cm and 2 circles with a diameter of 6 cm from sheet steel 5-8 mm thick, align the edge and sand well.
- Having determined the center of the large discs, cut out circles of a smaller diameter (about 15-16 cm) in them to make rings. In order to cut the inner circles, you will need a plasma cutter or drilling machine. The edges of the rings and the resulting middle discs should be leveled and cleaned. Drill a hole of about 2 cm in small discs; for this purpose, a drill and a metal crown are suitable.
- Using a drill and a drill for metal, it is necessary to drill holes for attaching the spikes. In rings about 15 pieces, in medium discs – 10, in small discs – 5. Next, an angle grinder cut the edges of the discs and rings to the holes. The workpieces should resemble gears in shape.
- Now you need to make the hubs. For this, a steel pipe with a cross-sectional diameter of 25 mm and 4 bearing pipes suitable for the inner diameter is suitable. angle grinder cut off 2 pipe sections, grind the edge and inner surface on both sides, insert the bearings.
- Bore the middle discs in the center on a lathe to the diameter of the hubs. The disc must fit tightly onto the hub, but can be removed without additional tools.
- On a lathe, make thrust bushings (anthers) that cover the bearings. Two bushings should fit in diameter to the axles, and two – for a bolt of 10.
- We start the assembly from the axis, the bushing is put on it, then the bearing, the spacer sleeve and the bearing with the hub. A bushing with a smaller hole is placed on top, and the whole structure is fixed with a bolt. The second hub is assembled in the same way.
- You can start cutting spikes 6 cm long. For them, a steel wire with a diameter of 12 mm is taken, and cut at an angle of 45 ° from one end. There are as many such blanks as there are cutouts for them prepared on the discs and rings of the future hiller. Grind out unevenness of the cut edges of the spikes on emery. Weld them to discs and rings.
- The stage of assembling “hedgehogs” includes the installation of rings on the hubs (using templates: a sleeve and a washer welded to it along the inner diameter of the rings), medium and small discs. Pay attention to the fact that all the studs “look” with the cutting edge in one direction, in the direction of travel. The installed parts are fixed by welding.
- Make spacer rods from wire with a diameter of 12 mm and weld to the spiked parts, 6 for each hiller. Remove the templates, adjust the discs and weld again. Weld fastening sleeves to the free end of the axles. Paint structure to prevent corrosion.
- For the resulting “hedgehogs”, a frame from a disc hiller will be used, for which it is necessary to make brackets from a rod with a diameter of 30 mm and homemade bushings with a 16 bolt hole..
Knowing the principle of making homemade hillers, we can conclude which hiller is the best at work, and which is easier to assemble. The technology is the same, with the exception of small parts for each type of tiller. The setting of the fixture depends on the assembly method and type of equipment. Without buying factory plows, but making them yourself, you can save money.
What kind of tiller do you use for growing potatoes or other vegetable crops?
Propeller hillers are used on those tillers that are equipped with two forward gears..
When choosing a tiller for potatoes, a few more points should be taken into account. It is better to use equipment with a streamlined shape (a plow-shaped hiller is well suited), because they turn the soil out with less intensity, which does not allow it to lose moisture.
In addition, it is worth giving preference to steel tools with a sheet of greater width and with the presence of bearings. The size of the tiller is related to the size of the tiller and the length of the cultivated strip of land.
Types of hillers, their characteristics
With the help of this unit, the process of making furrows on the soil surface and filling them with material for planting is carried out.
If you use a hiller, then the rows of planted potatoes will be even and spaced at an equal distance from each other. You can list several main types of hillers.
To choose the right tiller for a tiller, you need to note for yourself their main features and characteristics. There are many models of hillers, but the most common are the following:
- disc hillers;
- propeller type;
- with variable working width.
Disc tiller for tiller
The same type is more efficient. The lower the speed of the cultivating unit, the greater the power of the tiller itself. This helps to significantly extend the service life. In addition, disk drives are easier to handle and require less effort to work with. And the most important advantage of this type is its versatility. The unit can be used both before planting, and at a time when the part located above the soil increases.
a tiller is a truly indispensable unit when cultivating land before planting it. Hiller is a type of additional equipment used on tillers, which will speed up and improve the process of planting potatoes and pre-planting operations in general.
This type is the simplest. They differ in that they have a strictly exposed furrow width, which will be covered by the device, and it cannot be changed, it does not depend on the distance between the rows. Usually the capture of such a hiller is no more than thirty centimeters. A characteristic feature – the hiller is equipped with installed stands that do not allow overloading the tiller during operation.
With variable working width
If we talk about hillers, the width of which can be changed, it should be noted that they are used to work with powerful units weighing more than thirty kilograms.
How to make a hiller for a tiller with your own hands? For this, there are many drawings and diagrams. In general, there is no difficulty in making a hiller with your own hands. Having picked up the right tiller, choose a scheme and get to work.
Below is an example of a lister type tiller.
Take a metal layer two millimeters thick. Then cut out the halves of the part from it according to the proposed template (taking into account the dimensions). Important! The halves must be symmetrical, otherwise this will affect the operation of the device in the future. Then bend both halves until the radii coincide, after which you weld them, making two or three passes. Next, process the welds.
It is very important to choose the correct drawing for the future product in order to avoid any inconsistencies (during work, the structure will begin to lead to the side, etc.). With high-quality and careful manufacturing, homemade equipment does not create any difficulties and hindrances when hilling.
You can also easily construct a do-it-yourself disc hiller for a tiller..
To create such a device, you can take plowshares (disks) from a seeder that has already served its life. Or they can be made directly from metal sheets (no more than 2 mm thick), then bend the edge of the lower edge. The distance observed between the points of the lower supports corresponds to the width of the track itself. Then the discs are fastened to each other, but with the discretion that the connecting elements can be adjusted.
In addition, for disc hillers for a tiller, screw turnbuckles, stands (which have already been mentioned) and a leash in the shape of the letter T are needed. Turnbuckles are attached directly to the motoblock device. For cutting furrows, the above type is better than others..
Do-it-yourself hillers on a tiller are always pleasing to the eye, and working with them is much more pleasant and faster.
DIY potato hillers for tiller – the implementation of your locksmith talents and cost savings!
- How to make a potato ridger yourself
- Lister, fixed and adjustable angle
- Disc hillers
- Propeller hillers
- Practical setting of the hiller on the tiller
Correct processing of the personal plot significantly increases the yield of the planted crops. In modern conditions of time pressure, summer residents often resort to small-scale mechanization of garden work. tiller has not been a deficit for a long time, and you can find it in almost every household.
Having spent a certain amount on the purchase of this useful device, I want to save as much as possible during operation. One of the ways to save money is to make attachments with your own hands..
Of course, no one offers to forge a plow in a forge, as was done many decades ago. However, you cannot do without basic locksmith equipment..
To make homemade accessories for the tiller you will need:
- Welding machine, preferably for arc welding;
- Gas-burner. Not to replace electric welding, but to warm up the product during hardening;
- Angle grinder (angle grinder) of medium power, with a set of cutting and roughing discs;
- Drilling machine or powerful drill. Of course – quality drills;
- Electric emery (grindstone);
- Quality locksmith workbench, vice, files and fastening tools.
The most popular are the mechanized tiller hillers. We will talk about the culture for the sake of which summer residents are ready to stand for hours in the field, bending over in three deaths. And an indispensable assistant in the struggle for the harvest is attachments.
Lister, fixed and adjustable angle
Fixed is the easiest fixture to use and make. It is simple to make it using the attached drawings:
The base is welded from steel sheet with a thickness of at least 3 mm. This knot is the first to meet soil resistance..
For the bracket, we use a 4 mm steel strip, it is advisable to harden the part after molding. The field board can be bent from 5 mm steel, for example from a leaf spring. Only the metal must first be “released” and then hardened again.
Advice! A crucible is not required for tempering and quenching. With such dimensions of workpieces, a gas burner is sufficient..
The rack is a structural element that bears the entire load. Therefore, pick up a strip of at least 8 mm thick for it..
General view of the base in the illustration:
Welding must be done in two passes, on each side of the joint.
Wings can be made thinner from the sheet. 2 mm is enough. It is important to observe the dimension, otherwise it will not be possible to correctly dock the wings with the base..
Buying A Farming Implement On Marketplace
Wings bend on any template – a steel pipe of a suitable diameter will do.
Due to the concave geometry and the presence of welded seams, the structure is rigid.
The adjustable lister hiller is just as easy to make yourself. The difference is that the wings are pivotally attached to the base, and the rods are provided in the tail section for adjusting the angle..
The technology and the thickness of the workpieces are the same as in the previous model. The versatility of the nozzle increases significantly.
Processing speed can be doubled by making a double row tiller.
To the already finished design, it is only necessary to modify the traction device. It makes sense to make the mounts movable so that it is possible to adjust the width of the rows.
How to make a potato ridger yourself
First of all, let’s decide which tool is right for you. Hilling devices are of several types:
Two forces are used – translational motion and rotation. An active hiller for a tiller requires the unit to have two gears and a power take-off shaft. The processing efficiency increases significantly, and the cost of the equipment rises accordingly. Therefore, just like the previous models, propeller-type hillers can and should be made independently..
Again, nothing but high quality iron, an angle grinder and a welding machine is required. The axles are adjusted to the tiller, the rest of the parts are simply arc-welded.
The advantage of this device is that it performs two tasks in one tiller pass..
The row spacing is loosened, part of the land is simultaneously thrown onto the rows. That is, hilling occurs with loosened soil.
Adjustment of the propeller-type hiller is not required, only the distance between the nozzles is set. Different degree of loosening and hilling height is set by the shape of the lugs and installation angles relative to the axis of rotation.
You can make a pair of bushings with brackets, and a set of blades for different types of hilling. It will be enough to quickly change the hooks, and you will have a new tool every time, with practically no additional costs.
The advantage of this type of attachment is in synchronization with the capabilities of the tiller. You can adjust the speed and power, which are mutually exclusive. Since soil resistance is low, there is no need to use a more powerful tiller.
Another advantage is that by choosing the right size of discs, you can spud potatoes at different stages of growth..
The design principle is clear in the diagram:
You can make such a canopy yourself. The only difficulty is in molding the discs. Most often, used cutters from a collective farm seeder are used. Having traveled through the villages, it is fashionable to find inexpensive good copies. It is better to mount on bearings with installed oil seals. Slide bushings will wedge.
If one disk gets stuck, the tiller can turn to the side. Setting up the disc hiller consists in selecting the angles of inclination and depth of immersion. For this, the bracket is equipped with bolt-retained movable elements..
An interesting donor option for disc hillers – worn out circular saws.
With their help, the soil from the row spacing is not so efficiently lifted, but the tines additionally loosen the soil, and you can set a not so sharp angle between the discs..
This compensates for the lack of a bowl-shaped profile. Of course, the axles must be on bearings. Otherwise, there will be no rotation – you will simply row the ground along the rows. If you couldn’t get the disc bowls, this is your option..
Practical setting of the hiller on the tiller
The theory of the operation of the hilling device is described in textbooks for summer residents in such detail – that even a person who is far from agriculture can figure out the settings. However, in practice, the saying “it was smooth on paper, but they forgot about the ravines!”.
The peculiarities of the soil, the current weather, the quality of sharpening of the hillers – this is not the whole list of factors that affect the quality of plowing. Not to mention the characteristics of the tiller.
Therefore, before entering the garden, you need to walk the technique on the “virgin soil”.
It is desirable that the characteristics of the soil be the same as on the cultivated soil. During the “work” you, firstly, will feel how the attachment behaves, and secondly, set the correct angles and working depth.
It is equally important to choose the correct plowing (hilling) speed. The relationship between speed and power when using disc nozzles was described above. The same applies to other devices. Sometimes an inferior homemade hiller, at the right speed, works wonders. And an expensive active baking powder simply scatters the earth on the sides.
For a detailed story about the settings of the potato tiller and its installation on the KADVI tiller, see this video material.
Why is the hilling process needed?
Everyone knows that when potatoes are in the growing stage, they require regular hilling. But not everyone knows for what purpose this is done. Potatoes must be hilled for the following reasons:
- Due to the loosened soil, the roots of the potato receive air, due to which it grows faster;
- Due to the penetration of air, the rate of tuber formation increases.
- Thanks to the hilling process, you get 20-30 percent more yield..
Note: In those regions of the country where it is cool and rather humid, the hilling process is carried out with regular constancy. Due to this, unnecessary water leaves the soil, the heating process begins and the potatoes are enriched with air. And in the arid regions of Russia, hilling can negatively affect crops, as moisture is removed from the soil..
Here are the important points in the hilling process:
- Hilling must be done at a specific time. Typically, potatoes are loosened twice a season. Initially, they huddle with the growth of potatoes ten centimeters from the ground in length. They begin to loosen the ground again when the plant has reached twenty centimeters in length. It is very important that the flowers are not opened..
- Do the hilling process in cloudy weather, in the early or evening hours. Ideal if this process is done after rain, watering or after dew..
- Do not huddle in hot weather. Since parts of the plant that are subsequently exposed to the sun will burn.
- Hilling is done with a tool such as a hoe, rake, or hoe. This is a very time consuming and time consuming process. We recommend that you use a manual hiller, which, after reading our article, you can assemble yourself.
Types of potato growers
Depending on the design, the following types of devices are distinguished:
Propeller mechanisms allow you to move soil between rows into furrows.
The most common lister and disk devices.
Advantages and disadvantages of hillers
The use of mechanisms always allows you to increase labor productivity on farm and summer cottages.
- in order to use the device, it is necessary to purchase it, which means that material costs for the purchase and further maintenance will be required;
- when working with the device, you must follow the safety instructions.
See Disc tiller for tiller
To make a potato tiller, you need to follow these steps:
- First, the two discs are fixed at the desired angle by welding or pins (bolts). The deflection of the discs should be outward. With this mounting option, the distance between the discs is not adjustable.
- To make discs with adjustable spacing, holes are drilled on the support beam to optimize work on the support beam, fastening the tension chains from the outer edges of the discs.
- Further, either handles for human control or holders for agricultural machinery are designed. For manual control, it is better to make control for two at once.
If the hiller is assembled to be operated by one person, then it becomes heavier from above and a skimmer wedge is installed on it, in order to steer when pulling. Various mounts, cam mechanism, brackets, and other parts are useful for work.
The above drawings and models of the potato hiller are conditional, because every craftsman will assemble the structure in a way appropriate to his needs and convenience. When working with a manual potato tiller, you need to get used to it, calculate the pressure force in order to turn out a layer of soil of the required height. It should also be noted that hilling is best done after precipitation. Such a tiller can also be used for digging furrows for planting potatoes..
Manual potato ridger
Allows you to process potato beds, regardless of the presence of a tiller or a tractor. For manual types, the most common designs are lister and disc mechanisms..
Potato ridger at work
- can be used on areas where the use of tractors or tractors is impossible or impractical;
- cheaper in terms of purchase and maintenance.
- more expenditure of physical forces of the employee;
- the processing of the site takes longer;
- lower quality processing of plantings is possible;
- when working with the mechanism, two people are needed: one must pull the potato beaker forward, and the other must push it from the back using the handles.
To make it easier to operate the manual mechanism, and so that one person can handle it, you can upgrade the manual hiller by equipping it with a bicycle wheel. In this case, the plow is attached to the bike frame. The steering wheel allows you to direct the device in the desired direction. Why is it convenient to use a bike? Because it is lightweight and the handlebars are at the optimum height for the job..
Upgraded manual hiller
To fix it to the tiller, you must first dismantle the opener and install a device in its place. Potato peelers designed for tillers can also be installed on a mini tractor.
The industry produces not only single-row, but also two, three and n-row mechanisms, which can speed up the hilling process.
Attention! If you plan to install a hiller with a fixed working width, then the tiller’s engine should have a power of less than 3.5 HP and a weight of about 30 kg. Attachments with adjustable working width are installed on more powerful mechanisms.
For cultivators and tillers with an engine similar to the Neva-type tiller, a rotary mechanism can be used. In this case, the wheelset is removed from the tiller, and the hiller is installed on the gearbox shaft. The cogwheels perfectly grind the soil, pruning the roots of weeds, and at the same time hilling the potato beds.
Potato pickers can be installed on mechanisms with gasoline or electric motors. In this case, electric potatoes for processing potatoes are lighter and more mobile..
So that you have a reliable assistant in your country house or on a farm, you can make a homemade manual or automated tiller for processing potatoes.
Do-it-yourself manual disc hiller for potatoes
When growing potatoes, there are techniques that can not be ignored and even less overlooked. One of them is the hilling of grown potato bushes, the purpose of which is to create air exchange in the soil. If the area occupied for planting potatoes is small, then many manage on their own and with a hoe, but when the area is large enough, then a mechanical assistant is already required to facilitate physical labor and reduce processing time. Learn how to make a handmade potato hiller with your own hands according to drawings and video.