- For many owners, the question of the correct idle speed after emptying the fuel from the gasoline tanks is relevant for many owners. According to experts, there is no need to worry too much about this. However, if you have to deal with a similar problem often, then it is enough to manipulate the carburetor by reducing the engine speed in order to restore the normal operation of the tool..
- In some cases, the owner may need to clean the muffler as this part may be causing the malfunction. This operation is quite simple. It must be remembered that many owners are faced with problematic chainsaw operation due to a faulty carburetor.
- Although in some cases it may be quite simple to troubleshoot a malfunction, it is most preferable if specialists will repair this equipment. After all, not each of us has the necessary knowledge and skills, and this is fraught with the fact that during self-troubleshooting there is a risk of completely disabling the tool.
The saw in question can be considered a compact option, because its weight is only 3.9 kg. At the same time, it has a large oil and fuel tank. The device helps to perform its working functions by a two-stroke engine, the power of which is sufficient for solving simple tasks. In addition to this, during operation, this instrument does not generate strong noise, the level of which does not exceed 98 dB. For ease of understanding, it is enough to say that a person’s speech creates noise at a level of 76 dB.
- The Stihl 180 chainsaw has a power of 2.6 watts. In principle, this is sufficient, bearing in mind that we are talking about a tool for household use..
- The capacity of the oil tank is 0.145 l, the fuel tank is 0.25 l.
- Designed tire measures 350mm with 0.325 ” pitch.
Stihl 180 chainsaw won’t start: main reasons
Today, many manufacturers are engaged in the production of units for agricultural and construction work, among which the most popular is the equipment manufactured by Stihl. The high level of quality is not the only reason why the products of this manufacturer are popular in the market. This was also facilitated by the democratic price and optimal power that the models of this brand have..
It seems that many had to use a chainsaw of a similar brand. And not just use it, but regularly perform a wide variety of work and make sure of the high performance characteristics of this tool. Such a proliferation of these products is no coincidence, given that, in addition to power, this instrument stands out for its graceful design. However, one must remember that this is still a technique for which the resource of work is limited. Therefore, each owner of such a unit at some point is faced with the need for repair. Next, we will talk about the features of repairing the Stihl 180 chainsaw.
Defective spark plug: troubleshooting methods
- Sometimes during the check it is possible to find out that the problem lies in a faulty spark plug. In this case, it is removed, then allowed to dry. Some owners may try to ignite it, but this should not be done, because otherwise this element will be damaged and after that it will only be necessary to throw it out. During troubleshooting, you will have to remove excess fuel by draining it through a special hole.
- You also need to keep in mind that the drying time should be at least half an hour. After completing a similar operation, you can return it to its place, and then test it in action..
- In some cases, the candle may fail due to the depletion of its resource. Usually, when this is confirmed, the only option left is to find a replacement for it. In this case, it does not hurt to have a spare candle, or even better, when you have a whole set of such elements at hand. In this case, you can always put a new plug instead of the existing one and make sure whether the broken plug is the cause of the breakdown..
- At the same time, the inability to start the chainsaw can be caused by a weak contact provided by the high-voltage wire and the end of the candle. The problem with starting the chainsaw may be due to the failure of the ignition unit. In such situations, the only solution to the problem is to replace the faulty unit, since it is not repairable..
Saw won’t start: reasons and solutions
- Speaking of the saw 180, it must be said that this tool has many advantages. At the same time, this unit is not devoid of disadvantages. Attention will be paid to them.
- It is a common situation that many owners find themselves in when the Stihl chainsaw does not start and fills a candle. This is usually attributed to the formation of a leak in the oil used to lubricate the chain. The same happens for the reason that over time, the area where the hose of the oil pump and the oil tank joins loses its former tightness.
- In principle, this problem is solvable, however, in order to do everything correctly, you need to take into account the design of the chainsaw in question. By itself, this process provides for certain nuances, first of all, it is necessary to disassemble the unit, and without this it will be impossible to get to the required place.
- For many owners of this saw, the question is, why does the Stihl 180 chainsaw not start? Experts give the following recommendation in this regard: the first thing to do for those who are faced with a similar problem is to open and then close the lid located on the gas tank. There is another solution – you need to remove the candle and let it dry. You can also create the effect of artificial ventilation for the combustion chamber. Most often, these recommendations are enough to bring the device back to working condition. However, this does not always help to restore the operation of the Stihl chainsaw..
- If there is a spark, but attempts to start the chainsaw do not lead to anything, then in this case you need to check the supply of gasoline, the air filter, and then make sure that the spark plug is working. Such manipulations must be done for the reason that most often this kind of malfunction is caused by contamination of the breather. And if a plug forms in it, then, naturally, a vacuum environment will be created in the gas tank, because of which the fuel will not flow. A similar problem can be solved quite simply, for which it is enough to remove dirt using a needle..
- Some owners face this problem when the saw itself starts, but immediately starts to stall. Look for the reason that the saw will not start should be in the carburetor. Most likely, he managed to get clogged and therefore does not allow the tool to work correctly..
- To make sure that the breather is not the cause of the malfunction, and it is in working order, you must first disconnect the fuel hose from the carburetor, and then find out if there is a fuel leak.
- Keep in mind that it is natural for a properly functioning chainsaw to have a strong and stable jet of gasoline. In addition, it is often possible to observe a situation when the Stihl 180 chainsaw does not start hot and immediately stalls at the same moment or after a while. Usually, a similar malfunction is associated with a muffler. Most likely, it has accumulated a lot of deposits associated with long-term operation of the tool, which is usually accompanied by the formation of exhaust.
- At the same time, the saw may stop starting if the tool chain is poorly lubricated. This can be facilitated by channels that have a plug, or the reason should be looked for in an oil pipe that has a leak.
- A serious problem can be leaks in the connecting pipes or at the installation site of the oil pump fittings.
- There are cases when the Stihl 180 chainsaw begins to stall due to a failed cylinder. To make sure whether this is really so, it is enough to conduct an inspection. If, as a result of the examination, you find irregularities and chips, then this is a clear sign of breakage..
The characteristics of this saw are a reason for the pride of the German manufacturer. In this case, the unit is a tool that is designed to perform a small amount of work. The tool is positioned for domestic use, which confirms the intensity of its use, which should not exceed 20 hours per month. Having such a unit at your disposal, it will not be difficult for you to maintain order in your garden, to prepare firewood for the winter, as well as to clear areas. At the same time, he will be able to help you in solving other problems, where there is no need to perform complex manipulations..
As with other saws, the carburetor acts as the main starting device. Considering in more detail the carburetor that the Stihl 180 chainsaw is equipped with, it should be noted that it has a single adjusting screw. In other words, it is a kind of idle speed adjustment screw. In this case, the nozzle, which has a full load, is stationary all the time..
In other words, the regulation is not applicable to it. In turn, there is no way to influence the full load in any way. You also need to pay attention to the factory settings, due to which the supply of the air-fuel mixture is carried out directly to the engine. Moreover, this principle remains regardless of the operating conditions of the tool..
The chainsaw simplifies many operations. However, for a long time, she cannot demonstrate her original level of performance. Therefore, at some point, problems may arise. Naturally, the owner can eliminate some malfunctions on his own, but in any case there is a risk that he will incorrectly determine them, and this is fraught with the fact that by his actions he can completely disable the tool. Therefore, it is advisable not to take the initiative, but to entrust this work to a specialist.
Stihl MS 180. Cold starts for a long time.
The video examines the repair of the carburetor using a new repair kit for gaskets and membranes, adjustment.
We analyze possible causes of breakdown
Find out why the tool cannot be started in the instruction itself. But the instruction does not always come.
Although each model has its own characteristics, in general they are all similar. Therefore, I will tell you about the possible reasons for the breakdown and possible solutions for different tools.
You can find out why the tool does not start in the annotation itself. But not always the annotation is at hand.
Although each model has its own characteristics, in general, everything is similar. Therefore, I will tell you the probable prerequisites for a breakdown and the probable methods of eliminating them for various tools..
Let’s take a closer look at the Stihl 180 problems:
- Clogged carburetor or fuel filter. These are the most common problems and are very easy to fix after cleaning. The Stihl ms 180 saw does not give oil to the chain, which just did not do, took out the pump and blew the channels. Sometimes the filter has to be changed;
- Replacing the spark plug;
- Sometimes the cylinder or oil seals need to be replaced.
The Stihl saw is strong and durable enough that you can often fix the breakage yourself. In fact, the same goes for the Partner, Ural, Makita and Husqvarna models..
If we find a malfunction of our chainsaw, we are looking for the cause with a small one, gradually checking and eliminating the problems. Such problems are easy to fix on your own. But if the breakdown is serious, and you do not have enough experience, then a specialist should deal with this..
There is a spark, the candle is wet
First of all, it is necessary to remove the muffler and carefully inspect the piston, since this is where the problem may be hiding. In addition, most owners ask themselves: why the chainsaw starts and stalls, while there are supposedly no problems with the candles?
But this is an erroneous opinion and you do not need to be so sure in this case, as there are situations when the candle sparkles perfectly in the air, but does not work directly in the cylinder.
The reason for this may be a direct violation of a kind of seal in the channel (impulsive). I have a Stihl 180 chainsaw. Cases of a chainsaw start up without stihl ms 180 not. Or so de there is a kind of development of crankshaft oil seals, but this feature is found in very rare cases.
Repairing a chainsaw by a specialist But if you notice a similar malfunction of your chainsaw, then do not postpone the repair indefinitely and it is best if it is done by professionals. It took 10 liters of gasoline and 2 professionals write on the forms that Stihl is exactly 180 stihl ms 180 chainsaw. Why the Stihl 180 chainsaw does not start. Italian oleo mak 936 chainsaw for household. Otherwise, you simply can simply “break” the piston.
. At the same time, they are world leaders in the production of chainsaws..
Chainsaw Stihl ms 660 the most economical of the entire line of Stihl chainsaws .
Separately about the breakdown of the most common model
Let’s take a closer look at the Stihl 180 problems:
- Clogged carburetor or fuel filter. These are the most common problems and are very easy to fix after cleaning. Sometimes the filter needs to be changed;
- Replacing the spark plug;
- Sometimes it is necessary to replace the cylinder or oil seals.
The Saw Stall is strong and tough enough that often the breakdown can be corrected on its own. In fact, the same applies to the Partnerа, Ural, Makita and Husqvarna models..
If you find your chainsaw malfunctioning, look for a small cause, gradually checking and fixing the problems. Such problems can be easily solved by yourself. But if the breakdown is serious, and you do not have enough experience, then a specialist should do it.
STIHL saw won’t start causes.
MAIN REASONS FOR ENGINE FAILING.LACK OF SPARK ON SPARK PLUG (REPLACE PLUG.
it happens because of little things.
The basis of the plant of this kind of model, as well as all other chainsaws, is the carburetor. But since we are talking today about the Stihl 180 chainsaw, we will not deviate from the topic. So. The carburetor in this model has a single tuning screw, that is, it is a kind of idle travel adjustment screw. While the fully loaded jet is stationary.
Stihl 180 chainsaw carburetor
In simple terms, we can say that it simply cannot be adjusted (see here), while the full load setting simply cannot be changed. It is important that the carburetor itself at the factory was configured in such a way that regardless of the actual conditions under which the chainsaw is directly operated, the air-fuel mixture is supplied to the engine itself.
First of all, it is worth noting the fact that the chainsaw 180 of this manufacturer is one of his best “creations”, but it also has its drawbacks. Actually, which we will talk about now.
Starting a Stihl Chainsaw the correct way. NEVER flood it Again!
A fairly common problem is that the Stihl 180 chainsaw does not start and fills the candle. The reason for this is that the oil used to lubricate the chain starts to leak. Since time is merciless and simply breaks the tightness exactly in the place where the hose from the oil pump and the oil tank is actually connected.
The main reasons for this kind of malfunction are the carburetor and filter, which could simply be clogged..
In order to exclude the saloon from damaged objects, it is necessary first of all to disconnect the fuel hose from the carburetor itself and actually check if fuel is leaking out of it.You must remember that in the process of correct operation of the chainsaw, gasoline should flow out in a dense and stable stream.
In this case, the problem of breakdown lies precisely in the muffler, which can simply be clogged with any deposits that arise through the operation of the device, and which settle during the exhaust process..
Also, a fairly common cause of tool malfunction is insufficient lubrication of the device chain itself. The reason for this may be channels that are simply clogged, or the reason is in the oil line that is leaking..
Why doesn’t it get hot??
Air damper In order to eliminate this problem, it is first of all necessary to put the (air) damper in the middle position. After that, blow it a couple of times to start the chainsaw. After the process has started, warm it up within ten seconds, then put it into running (idle) mode. After carrying out these manipulations, you can fully open the damper (air).
After that, it is worth noting that before starting the direct implementation of actions regarding the “prescribed recommendations” try to start the device directly in the idle position. To do this, simply pull on the “rope”. The chainsaw does not start – the reasons for poor performance on a cold.
But if you do not succeed, it means that it is already cooled down enough. In this case, fix the half-gas according to the instructions in the instructions that came with your chainsaw..
But if this does not help, in this case, you should directly turn the cold-running screw, directly clockwise..
Remember that the higher the RPM level in your device, the easier it will be for you to start the device. Chainsaw Stihl 180 does not start: what can cause problems in the operation of the Stihl 180 chainsaw, how can they be eliminated. And remember that the chain must be motionless relatively cold running.
At full speed
Sometimes the engine will stall after normal operation. To establish the cause, pay attention to the accompanying circumstances:
- Motor stalls in the middle of operation for no apparent reason. The starter is stationary and does not turn. It means that the tool is jammed and requires urgent repair..
- During normal operation, the power is reduced in a short time and the engine stops, the cylinders are overheated. The situation indicates the occurrence of air suction under the rubber pipe between the carburetor cylinder, possibly due to a rupture. Air depletes fuel, nozzle replacement required.
Broken crankshaft bearings
In case of bearing defects, a slight backlash is felt. To detect it, the flywheel of the Stihl MS 180 saw is swinging from one side to the other. The movement indicates that the flywheel is being moved towards the electrodes by its own magnets, as a result of which there is no spark. To remove the mechanism, dismantle the cutting element, remove the filter and clutch cover. For the crankshaft stopper, remove the manual starter cover and tighten the two bolts.
The clutch is unscrewed with a wrench clockwise. Remove the drum with an asterisk, change the old clutch and tighten it all the way. The crankshaft is locked so as not to break the starter. The mechanism is assembled in the reverse order. To tighten, the brake handle is tilted forward, the tool is turned on, then released from the brake.
Bearings with defects are less often detected (the diameter of the holes in the cage is increased). For determination, disassemble and measure with a micrometer. Broken bearings are indicated by regular knocking. In this case, urgent repair is required, since if the integrity of the crankshaft is violated, the piston group and the cylinder will fail..
Stihl Chainsaw Won’t Start – The Reason Why Surprised Me
Violation of the functionality of the fuel unit system leads to air leakage. In this case, the unit stalls at idle and does not keep their number. Additional suction reduces the air impulse to the fuel pump and passes through the sump membrane or crankshaft oil seals. Diagnostics is done with a vacuum gauge.
The termination of engine cold operation occurs for other reasons:
- the candle channel contains an excess amount of the combustible mixture;
- the gap between the tip of the candle and the high-voltage cradle is not adjusted;
- power supply failure.
The oil seals are checked by pouring gasoline into the crankcase, the leak is visible visually. This means that the engine does not idle, and at a high frequency, leaking oil seals will lead to seizure of the bearings. In case of leakage of elements, they are replaced with new ones and they are sealed..
Fills the spark plug
In this case, the spark is not able to ignite the fuel, which enters the furnace in large quantities to burn the combustible mixture. If it floods a candle, then the carburetor is faulty or a cold engine does not start correctly. The engine is purged, the procedure is performed with the ignition off and away from an open flame. To ensure that the fuel ignites at the time of start-up, the mechanism is cleaned:
- unscrew the candle, wipe it dry, dry it for half an hour;
- a large layer of carbon is removed with a file;
- adjust the gap between the contacts;
- the tool is turned upside down and the gasoline is drained;
- in this position, pull the starter several times (to remove fuel residues);
- reassemble in reverse order.
Why the Stihl chainsaw won’t start
For a preliminary diagnosis of the reasons, check the operation of the fuel pump, the appearance of the plug, the flow of fuel, the functionality of the carburetor and the condition of the filter. Pay attention to the performance of cylinders, pistons, muffler, crankshaft bearings. After preventive measures, they try to start the chainsaw. Insufficient lubrication of rubbing parts also becomes a factor in poor performance..
In this article, we will consider the main problems that may arise when starting the Stihl chainsaw (the spark is gone, the tool stalls or does not gain momentum), as well as ways to eliminate them..
Ignition coil defective
The module or coil cannot be disassembled and its suitability is difficult to determine without testing devices. Modern ignition systems are durable, lightweight and small in size. They are characterized by near-fail-safe functionality. Problems with chainsaw malfunction due to the ignition coil can be fixed by yourself.
The outlet wires are tested for damage (including internal ones) that arise from vibration, leading to friction. If no cracks are found, then replacement of the ignition coil is required. Sometimes a weak, subtle flash when the saw heats up indicates a malfunction of the module. This is due to an increase in the temperature of the coil, which leads to an increase in the resistance of the transistor..
The peculiarity is that at the beginning of work, a spark may appear, but after prolonged use it becomes dull and disappears. Modern ignition coils in a home workshop are not repaired, therefore they are replaced with suitable elements.
What to do
The power tool is operated according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Only after checking the chain tension does the unit start. At the same time, the filling of the tanks with a combustible mixture and oil is controlled, the device is securely fixed in the hands. If, when all the rules are followed, the mechanism refuses to work, then the Stihl chainsaw is repaired.
Doesn’t slow down
The tool quickly reaches its maximum number of revolutions and the power does not decrease. This situation is explained by the fact that:
- the throttle valve does not work due to a weakening of the spring or traction element;
- the turning on toggle switch periodically fails;
- no corkscrew on the throttle shaft;
- clogged carburetor;
- the fuel hose and the petrol filter are malfunctioning.