The advantage of gas mowers
The main competitors for gas mowers are electric mowers. The advantage of gasoline lawn mowers, in relation to electric, is as follows:
- Independent of availability of power source
- They have a more powerful engine that allows you to work on large lawn sizes
- maneuverable, as Do not have an electric cable that will trail behind and cling to all obstacles.
- With a gas mower you can even mow ordinary, tougher grass
- Cheaper to maintain (although they break more often)
Despite this, gasoline lawn mowers have several significant disadvantages, namely:
- Make noise
- Assume additional material costs for fuels and lubricants (fuels and lubricants)
- Emission of harmful emissions into the atmosphere
- often requires repair and maintenance
- The engine is designed in such a way that when working with a gas mower on the hills cooler than 25 °, the oil stops entering the lubrication channels of the rubbing parts, as a result of which the mower can break.
Types of gas mowers
Gas mower design
There are several varieties of gasoline lawn mowers, namely:
By type of engine:
- Household (for a plot of up to 8 acres, with a motor resource of 500 hours and having a power of up to 5 hp)
- Semi-professional (for a site up to 18 hundred parts, with a motor resource of 700 operating hours and having a power of up to 7 hp)
- Professional (for sites of any size, with a motor resource of 1000 engine hours, with a capacity of over 7 hp)
- With a width of 42-28 cm. Suitable for plots with an area of not more than 8 acres.
- With a width of 51-53 cm. Suitable for areas up to 18 acres.
By type of grass catcher:
- With fabric grass catcher (for high-powered units). Dignity. well filled. The disadvantage is that it is difficult to clean.
- With plastic grass catcher. The advantage is ease of care. The disadvantage is poor filling of the container.
- With combined grass catcher (plastic cloth). Advantages. ease of care, well filled.
By functional features:
- The mowed grass is sent to the grass catcher. Such types of gasoline lawn mowers do not have more important functions. mulching and lateral ejection of mowed grass.
- Mulch the soil with mowed grass. Mowed grass is additionally crushed in the deck of the unit and laid with a thin mulching layer on the lawn. These lawn mowers have an exit under a grass catcher and a stub.
- Side discharge of mowed grass. It is used when servicing large areas of the lawn.
To adjust the height of mowing the lawn:
- Individual adjustment. Each unit wheel has a separate mowing height adjustment lever.
- Central adjustment. The adjustment lever simultaneously controls the entire cutting height.
- Screw adjustment. The most simple and inconvenient way to adjust the cutting height, in which the height is set manually when moving the wheel axis up / down.
By type of movement:
- Self-propelled. It has a drive that allows you to automatically move a gas mower. The main thing is to direct to the mowing area.
- Not self-propelled. The movement of the unit is carried out manually.
By type of drive:
- Front-wheel drive lawn mower. It is more maneuverable and is used on flat areas.
- Rear wheel drive lawn mower. Used when mowing grass in hilly areas, as more stable when driving with a load on the rear wheels (driving uphill).
Guidelines for choosing a gas mower yourself
Almost all the advantages and disadvantages of various types of gasoline lawn mowers we have provided above, in a brief description. But still I would like to draw your attention to some design features of gasoline lawn mowers, which should be considered when buying a unit.
Video: Petrol Lawn Mower Maintenance
So, professional gardeners provide you with the following recommendations for choosing a gas mower:
- When buying a gas mower, pay attention to the diameter of the wheels. The larger the diameter, the more maneuverable the unit will be, and therefore the mowing process is more comfortable.
- The mower deck must be aluminum. In this case, the mower itself will be lighter, more resistant to mechanical damage and the formation of corrosion.
- If you choose a machine that is not powerful enough, the grass catcher should be plastic, because it will be more convenient to clean the container from grass.
- Give preference to lawn mowers with folding rubber handles. They are easier to transport and vibrations from the engine will be less felt.
- The mowing height should be adjusted by the central lever, this is more convenient and will allow a more even mowing of the lawn throughout the area.
- Pay attention to the executive organ of the lawnmower. the knife. It should be sharp and preferably broad. In this design, the lawn mowers will cut grass better.
- Choose a gas mower with wheels on the bearings, as conventional plastic sleeves fail faster and are less resistant to mechanical damage.
- It is impossible not to say about engine power. Based on the area of your site, choose an engine with a power reserve so that you can mow grass in any weather. We draw your attention to the fact that self-propelled lawn mowers take away part of the engine power for driving, this also needs to be taken into account.
- Give preference to lawn mower manufacturers such as Honda, Hitachi, Craftsman, Viking, MTD, Stihl, Husqvarma, Stiga, Makita, etc. Pay attention to the manufacturer of the gas mower engine, Briggs are the leaders & Stratton and Honda.
That’s all the recommendations for choosing a gasoline lawn mower with your own hands! We draw your attention to the fact that if you change the oil and sharpen knives in a timely manner, the gasoline unit will serve you long and carefree!
Gasoline lawn mower. a reliable, simple in design device technique that facilitates the maintenance of the garden, cottage. To ensure long-term operation, work without breakdowns and malfunctions, it is quite timely to fully carry out maintenance of the mower in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
What you need to know for the owner of a gas mower
For safe operation, quick maintenance, lawn mower repair, you need to know the device design. In the center of the supporting frame is fixed an engine, fuel, oil tank and air filter. A spark plug is located on the front or side of the motor. A handle, controls are attached to the frame (also called a deck).
Gasoline lawn mowers are equipped with 2 or 4-stroke engines. In the first case, the owner gets more noise during operation, but less weight and size. In the second case, working with the equipment is safer, as it turns off when it is turned over. Push-pull mowers use a mixture of fuel and oil. Its preparation is associated with certain difficulties.
Inspection, maintenance is carried out only when the electric motor or gasoline engine is off, cooled down.
How to maintain a gas mower
Long-term use of the lawn mower begins with cleaning the grass after each treatment of the lawn, cottage, plot, garden. This is done in mittens using a metal brush with dense stuffing of vegetation.
It is important to clean the air filter. It, as a rule, is located opposite the oil reservoir, is fixed with a latch, or with a screw connection. Cheap paper filters change annually. expensive foam analogs are designed for long-term use, they are cleaned (blown using a compressor) 1-2 times a season.
A clogged air filter reduces fuel combustion efficiency and creates an additional load on the engine. Therefore, cleaning, replacing the filter must not be neglected. Otherwise, you will have to repair the equipment in the service center.
The oil level is checked at least 2 times per season. Inadmissible low level of lubricant. To accurately determine its amount, the mower is placed on a flat surface, the lid of the tank is twisted until it stops. Then the oil level is unscrewed and estimated. The operation is performed several times with the engine turned off. It is worth paying attention not only to the level, but also to the color of the oil. If it is dark, a replacement is required.
The drain hole is located at the bottom of the mower or to the side. In the second case, the equipment is turned over to remove worn lubricant.
To save engine life, prevent breakdowns, follow these recommendations:
- when starting the lawn mower, let it idle for a few minutes with a small amount of gas;
- Do not give the equipment a load greater than the manufacturer indicated;
- store correctly.
In combination with the correct, timely maintenance, this will eliminate technical problems and ensure safe operation.
- The blog
- About Service Center
- Serviced Brands
- Diagnostic and repair prices
- Spare parts
Repair and service of garden equipment.
Specialized Service Center "Agrotechservice". comprehensive warranty and post-warranty maintenance of landscape gardening and public utilities of world manufacturers! We carry out the sale of spare parts with delivery throughout Russia!