Frequent malfunction: the engine is NOT picking up speed and what should the driver do
If the engine stopped gaining speed, then the first step is to analyze when and how it manifested itself. In other words, the unit stopped spinning unexpectedly, or the problem with a set of revolutions gradually progressed. You should also pay attention to the presence or absence of other symptoms.
The fact is that the refusal of a previously properly engineered engine to gain momentum after carrying out any repairs or other manipulations may simply be the result of assembly errors, and not of a connected sensor, etc. In such cases, the malfunction can be determined faster and more accurately after an independent inspection or an immediate return of the vehicle to the service where the car was previously repaired.
Why the motor isn’t picking up speed: from simple to complex
At the very beginning, we will consider simpler and more obvious faults. The set of revolutions during driving is strongly influenced by the feed efficiency, timeliness of ignition and the usefulness of combustion, as well as the composition of the fuel-air mixture.
A common prerequisite for when the engine does NOT pick up speed (injector, carburetor, diesel, gas car) is problems in the ignition system, as well as in the air and fuel supply systems. Experts point out the following:
- Severe contamination of the air filter Reduces the ability of air to penetrate the filter element, as a result of which the engine becomes uneven, the unit loses power and does NOT gain speed. Also, a common prerequisite for problems with the air supply can be that a foreign object (rags, plastic bag, etc.) may accidentally appear in the air filter housing.
- You should also pay attention to the suction of excess air at the intake as a result of various defects in the intake system. The problem can appear both unexpectedly and gradually progress. Note that the motor usually does NOT pick up speed in the event of severe air leaks. The fact is that in the composition of the fuel-air mixture, the normal ratio of air to fuel in such a situation deviates significantly from the norm. The mixture is very poor (a lot of air and a minimum of fuel). On such a charge, the engine starts, but does not gain momentum while driving, and also works intermittently.
- A similar picture can be observed when the required amount of fuel is NOT supplied to the unit. The culprit may be the fuel filter, which can also be very forgotten. Note that there may be no problems with starting the engine, since there is enough fuel for the XX mode. In parallel with this, while driving, the car may jerk, react to pressing the gas pedal with a long delay, when accelerating, dips may occur, or the unit may NOT spin above any mark on the tachometer.
- A dirty filter mesh of the gasoline pump can lead to similar symptoms. On the indication of the filter, deposits from the fuel tank tend to accumulate over time. As a result, the fuel pressure in the system becomes insufficient, the pump performance drops, and the motor itself is not able to operate normally in different modes. It often happens when the engine picks up speed and stalls precisely because of a clogged grid.
Now let’s talk about malfunctions, which may require certain knowledge, skills and equipment for diagnosis, and will also appear as a reason for a visit to a car service. To begin with, this list of faults usually includes those when the engine does NOT pick up speed due to the failure of any element of the ECM, ignition system, power supply, etc. In other words, is it not already in consumables (candles, wires, filters, pipes), but in details. In parallel with this, it should be considered whether the breakdown occurred unexpectedly or the malfunction progressed gradually.
- One of the reasons can be knocked down timing phases. Violations of the synchronous operation of the gas distribution mechanism during the intake and exhaust strokes lead to the fact that the intake and exhaust valves do not open in time. The malfunction occurs as a result of errors when replacing the timing belt, if the specified timing belt has jumped one tooth or more teeth. Also, improperly adjusted valves (the problem does NOT manifest itself abruptly), various malfunctions in the variable valve timing systems, breakdown of the timing chain drive, etc.
- Unexpected breakdowns include the failure of the ignition module, as well as malfunctioning of the ignition coils. In this case, cylinder misfires begin, the engine troit and loses its ability to pick up speed normally.
- In situations with engine speed, the power supply of the injection nozzles should be checked. If there are problems with the wiring, then the control signal is NOT supplied to the injector or is intermittently received. As a result, the injector does not open on time, misfires occur in one or more cylinders, the engine does NOT pick up the required speed and loses power.
- A fuel pump or fuel injection pump on diesel engines may fail. This malfunction usually does not occur immediately (unless the electrical wiring to the pump is damaged). Much more often, the drop in pump performance is gradual. Sooner or later, the pump will start pumping fuel very weakly, the pressure will be enough only for operation in the XX mode. An increase in load and speed will lead to the fact that the engine can stall under load, and not spin, etc.
- In SEPARATE cases, severe contamination of the injector itself leads to similar results. Driving on low-quality fuel, as well as ignoring the necessary injector cleaning procedure every 30-40 thousand kilometers traveled may mean that the performance of one or more fuel injectors has dropped significantly.
- The engine speed can also be affected by the state of the EGR system, the throughput of the catalyst or particulate filter. As for the second case, exhaust gas evacuation worsens through a clogged catalyst, the engine literally suffocates and is NOT able to pick up normal speed.
- In parallel, it is necessary to check various sensors of the electronic engine management system. Their incorrect operation can affect the composition of the mixture, that is, the amount of fuel and air supplied to the internal combustion engine. These sensors include DPDZ, DMRV and a number of others.
Why the engine is not picking up speed well
During the operation of a gasoline or diesel engine, the driver may be faced with the fact that when the gas is pressed, the engine does NOT pick up speed. Note that after installing LPG equipment on a car, such a problem often arises when the engine does NOT pick up speed on gas, although the car runs normally on gasoline. Malfunctions of various kinds can cover both fairly simple things, and indicate the need for serious repair of the internal combustion engine. Next, we will consider why the diesel engine does not pick up speed or the gasoline engine refuses to spin up.
What’s in total
Considering that there are a lot of reasons for problems with a set of revolutions on a modern car, it is optimal to immediately connect the car to the diagnostic equipment (scanner) to search for possible errors. This is especially necessary when the engine is NOT picking up speed and the check on the dashboard is on.
Such failures are associated with a software failure in the operation of an electronic device. The ECU mistakenly assumes low speed (for example 2-3 thousand rpm) in the so-called cutoffs and stops the fuel supply. In other words, the conditional protection against exceeding the permissible number of maximum engine speed is triggered prematurely.
Finally, I would like to add that timely cleaning of the injector, replacement of spark plugs and ignition wires, filters and filter elements of the fuel pump, cleaning the throttle valve, correct throttle adjustment and a number of other service procedures will allow you to get maximum power from your internal combustion engine. As for cars with LPG, the correct installation and adjustment, as well as the timely replacement of filters and maintenance of the second elements of gas equipment will depend not only on the engine power and its gas revolutions, but also on the overall service life of the power unit.
- If you fail to tighten / loosen the adjusting screws normally, it may be that the spring is too thick and stiff. Then you can choose instead of her a more suitable.
- If your unit requires NOT pure gasoline, but its mixture with engine oil, strictly observe the proportions specified in the operating instructions. There is one little thing: the recommended ratio. 1:25 (for all brands of oil) or 1:50 (for relatives oils). Try the first ratio first. If, with such a recipe, oil drips appear on the motor, and Strong carbon deposits form on the candle, Reduce the fate of the oil by half. This usually helps to fade traces and reduce the amount of carbon deposits.
- To clean the spark plug electrodes from combustion products, you can use a fine-grained sandpaper. Wipe them with a dry cloth first and then gently sand them with sandpaper. If the space between the body of the device and the insulator is also clogged, a regular unbent paper clip can help clean it. To do this, briefly soak the candle in diesel fuel, and then scrape off the dirt. If the blockage is small, one procedure is sufficient. Sometimes it is necessary to repeat it several times in case of heavy dirt. After complete cleaning, the candle must be wiped dry from the remaining diesel fuel, and then it can be used as directed.
- Please note that foreign-made lawn mowers (gasoline, electric or battery) require a little more maintenance than domestic ones. In particular, many insist on entrusting the adjustment of the carburetor of a two-stroke engine to professionals, especially if your purchase has not expired the warranty period.
- And finally, one more tip: follow all the manufacturer’s recommendations for the operation and maintenance of the device. So you extend its smooth functioning.
You will learn more about what to do if the petrol trimmer is NOT picking up speed.
What to do if the trimmer is NOT gaining momentum?
If you have once purchased a trimmer that runs on gasoline, then you probably had to deal with the problem of turning on the trimmer, as well as with such a problem as the trimmer is NOT gaining momentum.
That is why this article was created.
So, what to do if the trimmer, which has been working for you for more than a year, suddenly just stops picking up speed, and the engine simply stalls? In this case, you and I should consider a number of problems associated with stopping the motor.
The motor can stall under various circumstances. Sometimes a prerequisite for improper operation of the trimmer, running on gasoline, is a clogged air filter.
It is the filter that is one of the most important reasons why the gasoline trimmer may stop working.
Various debris very often gets into it, dust particles get there, which also clog the filter, so it needs to be cleaned and washed every month, and maybe more often, it all depends on what power the petrol trimmer has, as well as how much often you use this device.
If you have done the operations with the filter, but the work of the trimmer, powered by gasoline, remains the same, the trimmer is NOT gaining momentum what to do?
Then you should try to remove the filter from the device in order to provide the so-called relief trimmer. Should help.
The next and quite common problem when working with a gasoline trimmer is that it simply stalls, and does not give any signs of life.
In this case, the problem may be as follows:
The last and most common prerequisite for a breakdown of a gasoline trimmer is that the cable, which is located in the carburetor section, just slept.
Therefore, make sure in advance that it is well tensioned, but not to the limit, otherwise, with too much load on the gasoline trimmer, this small cable may crack and then you will definitely have to contact a service center, and then also throw a lot of money down the drain.
For some reason, the Stihl electric scythe does not develop its full power
When using the electric trimmer, speed problems may also occur. Here the reasons are completely different than in the fuel braids.
You can fix problems yourself
The trimmer does NOT develop the required power because:
- The voltage in the network is below the required minimum for the device more than 10%;
- There was a failure in the soft start (if there is such a system);
- There is a malfunction of the brush assembly;
- The engine winding is burned;
- Rotating parts sometimes jam.
To adjust the voltage, you should first check its power. If it does NOT meet the standards, you should increase it with a stabilizer.
Repair of the soft start system is carried out only in the service center.
Note! When the brushes wear out, you just need to replace them. When installing new ones, it is recommended to clean all surfaces with which they come in contact.
To adjust the voltage, you should first check the power.
If the motor windings are burning, you need to change the electric motor.
Jamming of rotating parts can occur for various reasons. To eliminate them, you should revise the entire drive assembly.
For your information! The latter problem can arise with the second unit of this company. Stihl secateurs, and sharpening the disc with scissors will be her solution.
Trimmer stalls: causes and troubleshooting
The lawn mower is a mobile, high-performance tool for the beautification of home gardens and surrounding areas. With prolonged use, due to wear of parts or manufacturing defects, malfunctions occur, which lead to the fact that the trimmer stalls or does not start. Since this tool is a rather complex mechanism, there may be several reasons why the lawn mower stalls.
Why does the trimmer stall
There are two main ways to troubleshoot problems: transferring the braid to a specialized center or solving the issue with your own hands. The first option is suitable for those who are ready to lay out round the amount to restore the unit’s performance, and the second for someone who has basic locksmith skills and can independently figure out the causes of breakdowns and ways to eliminate them.
Currently, it is customary to classify breakdowns for which the lawn mower stalls into the following categories:
- Mechanical damage to the internal combustion engine crankcase, malfunctions of the cylinder-piston group (CPG)
- Breakdowns associated with the supply of the fuel mixture (air filter, carburetor)
- Malfunctions due to damaged tubes, hoses, cables or ignition circuit.
Diagnostics and elimination of gas engine problems
Before proceeding with the repair of a particular unit (part), it is necessary to determine the nature of the malfunction. Step-by-step diagnostics and troubleshooting of car products. Further.
Technical problems with lawn mowers mainly occur in the fuel supply and ignition systems. You can deal with them yourself.
- When the hand mower won’t start or stalls, the problem could be with the spark plug. Dark carbon deposits indicate poor carburetor adjustment and poor gasoline quality.
- A clogged fuel hose may be the cause of improper trimmer operation. Filters are also often clogged.
- Another internal problem. The muffler is covered with carbon deposits. From this, the trimmer speed drops sharply. Output. The muffler needs to be cleaned.
Important! If the unit does not work due to engine breakdowns, serious problems can arise. In this case, only the destruction of the piston rings belongs to the malfunctions that can be eliminated by hand. For more serious problems with the motor, if there is no guarantee, you should be ready to visit the workshop.
The lawn mower stalls at high engine speeds
During operation, a situation arises when, when you press the fuel mixture supply button, the unit turns NOT increase, but decrease. A malfunction of this nature can be caused by:
Fuel hoses for lawn mowers with filter
- By etching atmospheric air into the combustion chamber;
- Problems with the circulation of the fuel mixture;
- Clogged breather in the fuel tank cap (cleaning the hole with a fine sewing needle)
- Incorrect carburetor adjustment.
When air is leaking during the operation of the internal combustion engine, it is necessary to check the tightness of the connection of the pipes and the integrity of the gaskets in the CPG. The problem with the circulation of the fuel mixture can be solved by eliminating blockages in the fuel pipes leading to the carburetor. If a vacuum occurs in the tank and the fuel mixture does NOT flow to the carburetor, it is enough to clean the breather with a thin needle and blow it with air.
In case of problems with the candle, it is sometimes enough to dry it or clean it with sandpaper and put it back in place, setting the gap correctly. It should be 1 mm. If the spark plug is heavily soaked, it is better to replace it with a new one. With optimal trimmer operation, the candles do not fail so often.
The lawn mower stalls when you press the gas
Gas key lawn mowers
As practice shows, in most cases the prerequisite for stopping the engine is a misalignment of the carburetor associated with long-term storage or operation of the tool in an aggressive environment (temperature changes, high humidity, dust), high loads or wear of SEPARATE parts. The characteristic signs of the need to tune the carburetor include increased vibration. If you have experience in repairing the fuel system of gasoline engines, you can fix the problem without any problems, otherwise you can read the detailed instructions for setting up the carburetor.
Hole in the fuel cap (breather) of the trimmer
The second possible reason why the trimmer stalls when you press the gas is a clogged hole in the fuel tank cap (breather). When small particles of dust, grass residues and sand enter it, a vacuum is created in the gas tank, as a result of which fuel ceases to flow into the carburetor. The breather of the trimmer can be cleaned with a regular sewing needle and then blown out with compressed air. Experts recommend at the end of work, once in several mows, to clean the breather. If cleaning is not possible, the cover must be replaced.
Lawn mowers fuel valve
With a similar problem, pay attention to the fuel valve, which, when clogged, stops passing the fuel mixture normally. The solution to this problem is to mitigate it with a suitable tool. In addition, a problem with the circulation of the fuel mixture may lie in the valve clogging. To do this, it is enough to blow it with a stream of compressed air.