Instructions for refueling your chainsaw
Knowing the ratios for preparing the gasoline-oil mixture, you can begin refueling. The charging instructions are as follows:
- First you need to prepare the mixture. Mix the two main components together and mix them thoroughly
- Place the tool on a clean, level surface. Before unscrewing the gasoline tank cap it is necessary to clean or blow out sawdust, dust and contaminants
- The tank nozzle must face up
- Put a small watering can in the throat, and then pour the fuel
- Control the filling process, because the volume of the tank is small, so it fills up quickly
- Do not fill up the tank to the maximum, because when you close the cap the rest of the fuel will splash out
- After filling up the fuel tank you need to add the chain lubricant as soon as possible
- Fuel and chain oil consumption are about the same, so you should fill up both tanks at the same time
- After refueling you can start the engine
It is better not to start the engine at the place where you refuel, but to move 2-3 m away. The tool is ready to work, and you can start it. Read here how to start the chainsaw engine (link).
How to choose components for a mixture
For chain saw efficiency it is recommended to use only fresh, unleaded fuel with an octane rating of more than 90. The ideal choice for making a fuel mixture is considered gasoline A95 and A92. Do not use old, leaded fuel or fuel with a low octane number. The individual recommendations for each tool can be found in the tool manual.
Before mixing the fuel mixture in certain proportions, for example, dilute oil 1 to 50, it is necessary to choose it correctly. For each tool, the manufacturer forms a manual with an individual list of materials that should be used for the safe operation of the chainsaw.
It is best to choose branded synthetic oils for two-stroke engines. JASO-FB, API-TB, JASO-FD, API-TC oils are considered to be preferable. When buying, you should pay attention to the following brands: Champion, STIHL, NANOTECH, ALCO, Husqvarna and others. Do not use oil beyond its expiration date.
How to dilute gasoline for a chainsaw
Any internal combustion engine needs at least two things to work properly:
- Fuel or rather an air-fuel mixture prepared by the carburetor enters the combustion chamber, ignites, expands, and “pushes” the piston down, so that useful work is done.
- Lubrication. necessary to reduce the friction force between the contacting parts of the engine.
First of all, oil is needed to prevent so-called “dry” metal-to-metal friction. It causes critical wear on the parts in contact with each other. scoring, scratching, loss of compression, lower life span. Also for sealing the gaps.
Why is it necessary to mix oil with chainsaw fuel??
This requirement is directly related to the nature of the device and the working principle of the two-stroke engines equipped with this tool.
The crank mechanism and piston/cylinder groups are lubricated solely by the oil in the propellant. Due to a special engine design, the air-fuel mixture enters not only into the combustion chamber but also into the crankcase where the crankshaft and connecting rod are located. This is how you lubricate all the parts that rub.
Main chainsaw engine oil brands
The leading chainsaw lubricant companies are STIHL and Husgvarna. The following oils are used for saws:
- STIHL HP is a mineral tool lubricant of the same brand. Red in color, available in different containers, even for single-use, which is very convenient.
- HP Ultra is synthetic-based, with improved properties, for low-temperature applications.
- Vitals Semisynthetic is for budget models, used year-round.
- Husgvarna HP semi-synthetic with additives that compensate for the poor quality gasoline. Suitable for other brands of equipment.
- Champion Jaso FD provides reliable protection of all engine parts.
Large selection of products on the market for two-stroke engines from various manufacturers. How to dilute chain saw oil is written on the packaging. It is better to buy products from reputable companies, it will help keep the tool in working condition longer.
Recommended brands of fuel and lubricants for chainsaws
You can always find the brand of gasoline for your chain saw in the manufacturer’s instruction manual. You should always follow the manufacturer’s instruction manual.
The octane rating can often be somewhat lower than declared. it is recommended to use gasoline of higher grade. For example, if the instruction says to use 92 gasoline, you should buy it at the gas station and fill the tank only with 95.
Do not confuse the two and do not use them inappropriately. It is guaranteed to cause damage to your tool. And its repair can cost almost as much as a new saw.
Do not try to use automobile oil. The engine will be damaged very quickly. Automotive lubricants are designed for a different power plant and other operating temperatures.
The most popular chainsaw lubricating oils are the following brands:
Each brand-name oil container always carries the oil/gasoline ratio for your chain saw (STIHL, Husqvarna, Partner, Ural), which must be observed in the mix.
What chain oil to use for a chainsaw chain?
Information about what chain oil for a chainsaw is best can be found in the instruction manual of the model. However, not all owners of garden tools retain a chain saw instruction manual. In such cases, when choosing an oil, you need to study its characteristics and the main requirements for the lubricant.
The first thing to pay attention to is the adhesion property of the chain lubricant. During daily use of the chainsaw at medium and maximum permissible rpm, the chain moves along the bar at a fairly high speed. That way the oil, which does not give off much adhesive power, will fly off the chain by inertia. As a result, only the upper part of the chain will be lubricated, while the lower part will work under the influence of increased friction.
Chain oil for chainsaws must meet a number of other requirements.
- Protect the chain from corrosion. the lubricant should repel moisture which causes rust to appear on the teeth and links of the harness;
- resistance to wear. as a result of intensive use of garden tools, chain parts succumb to high loads, which leads to their premature wear. Using a quality lubricant can help prevent this;
- No carbon deposits. the oil selected for chain lubrication must not accumulate and dry out on the chain elements. Over time, this leads to bumps that make it difficult for the chain to rotate on the bar;
- ability to work in a wide temperature range. a quality chain lubricant should not freeze at the first frost and boil at high temperatures. The optimal range is from.15 to 40 ⁰C.
ForestPlus, SynthPlus and BioPlus are the substances most often used by chain saw operators to lubricate the chains of their petrol chain saws. These oils are highly stable, able to work in the most difficult weather conditions, and corrosion protection.
What is the right way to dilute?
The figures for the dilution ratio are given with such precision for a reason. That is, it doesn’t say “take about this amount of oil”. It is impossible to observe the exact ratio by eye, so you have to use something that will measure the exact amount of oil and gasoline.
Some inexpensive chain saws usually come with a measuring jug with dots on it. It usually has several scales for different proportions. Or one if the manufacturer says that this tank is to be used only with the saw which it comes with. There should be two horizontal dots on this scale. The lower one shows how much gas you have to take. The upper one is the level the mixture should reach after adding oil to the gasoline.
You can use a medicine syringe to measure out the oil more accurately. preferably at least 20 ml.
In general, pour petrol into a measuring cup, add the amount of oil measured with a syringe and shake.
Always mix the fuel in a separate container and not directly in the gasoline tank. Otherwise, before the oil is diluted with gasoline, it may get into the carburetor and complicate start-up, up to and including the need to remove the carburetor and clean it.
How to prepare the mix?
To keep your machine in working order for a long time you need to know exactly how much oil you should add to your STIHL chain saw. We’ve found out before that it’s best to use STIHL lubricant and unleaded AI92 or AI95 gasoline as the ingredients. Using leaded gas has a negative effect on the machine and can put it out of operation. With these components for the mixture you add 20 ml of oil to a liter of gasoline. any irregularity in the proportions leads to soot deposits on spark plugs and pistons, and also to scuffing. The oils used can be green, blue, or red.
Their presence is easy to identify by the color of the mixture. A canister is often included with the machine for diluting the fuel. These containers are marked with measuring divisions and have two holes. It’s up to the user to fill the canister with the ingredients of the mixture up to the markings, close the lids and mix. Some use plastic bottles and syringes for this purpose. be careful not to let any foreign matter or water get into the container, which can impair engine performance.
Instructions for filling a chainsaw
Note: when refilling the fuel mixture, oil is added to the special tank for chain lubrication. They are consumed evenly, so they are poured at the same time.
How to mix your own fuel for STIHL chainsaws & equipment
After that the saw is started and runs for a while at idling speed.