Angle grinder discs: what are
The angle grinder is considered a versatile tool that is used for material processing, metal cutting, and stripping. Depending on the scope of work, the required discs for the angle grinder are determined. The grinding wheels should be suitable for the type of material you plan to work with. Hand-held power tools are suitable for solving large-scale construction tasks and are used in everyday life.
To avoid accidents, you must adhere to the safety rules when working with the grinder. Each tool is accompanied by an instruction that determines the technical features of the tool, indicators of its power.
The huge selection of abrasive materials for cutting, grinding, finishing and metal cleaning can be a barrier to choosing the right type of disc.
What types of discs for an angle grinder are?
- Diamond discs for grinding. This is a great option for working with even the hardest metals. The improved formula allows the use of discs for bricks, granite, concrete, asphalt, tiles, steel. Any material that needs to be machined or cut is amenable to a diamond blade. Previously, diamond blades were very expensive, but due to their popularity, global brands are producing more affordable models. The relatively high cost of discs is associated with the use of diamonds. The nozzle itself is made of metal, and the cutting part is made of diamond chips. To determine the right diamond blade for your angle grinder, study its technical features and determine whether it is suitable for wet or dry cutting. It depends on whether you need to use a coolant for the wheels.
- Polished discs for angle grinders. These are special discs for an angle grinder, which are made from felt or soft polymers. Their main purpose is delicate surface treatment for paint and varnish bases. If you need to carefully polish the coating, experts advise using a large-diameter angle grinder. They operate at lower speeds and prevent damage to different types of coatings.
An angle grinder is a kind of versatile tool that can help you cope with a range of tasks. But, the main thing is to use the discs for their intended purpose. Each angle grinder has a maximum number of revolutions specified. This indicator should correspond to the grinding wheel. Be aware of safety precautions as sparks can harm your health.
Types of Grinding Machine Breakdowns
Since problems can arise in the course of working with a hand-held electric tool, you need to understand how to act in such situations. Most often, hitch in the use of the grinding machine occurs precisely due to the wrong choice of the disc.
Angle grinders can cut stone, concrete, metal and other hard materials, so a sharp cutting edge can be fatal to humans. Hold the tool with the circle correctly to avoid contact with your hand. Make sure the protective cover is installed before operation. Wear protective gloves and an apron to avoid sparks.
The risk of breakage is inherent in every abrasive disc. To eliminate this situation, check that the disc is working properly before placing it on the angle grinder. You can stop or reduce the risk of a ruptured disc by knowing the limitations of a particular disc. It is about the maximum permissible speed. You should only use the grinding disc when it is in good working order. Also, the nozzle must meet the expiration date, since otherwise safe operation cannot be guaranteed.
Kickback of the angle grinder can occur if the angle grinder grips the material while cutting. This happens due to the selection of the wrong disk or speed. Stop the power tool and check the correct speed. Poorly set circles can also cause strong kickback. Make sure the material is worn out and change discs in time so as not to risk your health.
With a strong kickback, you lose control of the tool, which can snatch right out of your hands. When using angle grinders, you can generate a lot of sparks. Monitor the situation to stop the tool in time. You must be confident in the safe operation of the angle grinder, excluding the presence of flammable or explosive substances in the work area. Many angle grinders are electric and you should be aware of the risks associated with portable electrical equipment. Check the tool before use, then go to work.
If you are in doubt about the performance of the angle grinder, it is better to contact a specialist or, if you have experience, fix the problem yourself. For example, even high levels of vibration can have negative effects on your health. Also, dust emitted when cutting metal or grinding is considered harmful to humans.
Types of discs
What are the different angle grinder discs? Wheels for an angle grinder are classified according to the following parameters:
- type of work;
- the material from which the circle is made;
- the form;
There are special circles. for wood, metal, concrete, artificial and natural stone, etc. The marking indicates which material the nozzle is suitable for. Each type can be suitable for several types of processed surfaces. For example, a stone disc for an angle grinder cuts concrete, brick, ceramics, paving slabs, etc. But it is impossible to cut or grind metal in a circle on wood or a stainless steel nozzle on rough steel. The angle grinder can process, among other things, asphalt, plastic, glass, fiberglass. If necessary, you can find special discs for an angle grinder (angle grinder) for porcelain stoneware, granite, reinforced concrete, marble, ceramics, tiles, bricks, plastic. If you want to save money, it is preferable to look for a universal circle that processes several types of materials at once.
Angle grinder discs are made from several different materials. Each of them has its own characteristics. Types of wheels for angle grinders:
- Diamond. They are made of diamond-coated steel. This type of attachments cuts and grinds any metal, concrete, artificial and natural stone (including granite and marble), ceramics, glass. The diamond saw blade for the angle grinder provides the finest cut. You need to cut with small cuts. A new type of diamond attachments. polishing wheels on a flexible base (“turtles”). Their surface has a corrugated structure in the form of a turtle shell (hence the name). Flexible diamond discs are attached to the base. a hard rubber attachment with Velcro.
- Carbide. Circles of this type are also made of metal. They have high-carbon molybdenum steels with additions of chromium and nickel at the edges. They are used mainly for cutting metals, less often for wood. The angle grinder is suitable for many metals. There are carbide discs specially designed for thin, high carbon, stainless steel, aluminum.
- Abrasive. The base is thick waterproof latex paper with reinforcing mesh or fiber. A layer of abrasive material is applied to it. particles of aluminum oxide, silicon carbide, tungsten carbide or corundum. The bond for the abrasive is resin or polymer. The grinding fiber disc for an angle grinder is used in conjunction with a backing pad made of plastic or rubber. It serves as a stop and cools the abrasive. Abrasive wheels are used as cutting, cleaning or roughing wheels. Fiber discs are suitable for working on wood and concrete, processing non-ferrous and ferrous metals. The abrasive is zirconate or aluminum oxide, ceramic grain. Fiber disc is ideal for rough removal of old paint from walls, facades and other surfaces.
- Metal wire stripping. Disc brushes made of this material are used to remove rust and other types of stubborn plaque.
Discs for an angle grinder include backing pads. They are also called backing discs or poppet discs. Plates are made of plastic or rubber. They are used in combination with some grinding, polishing, grinding abrasive attachments, emery wheels. The need to use a backing disk should be clarified when buying a particular wheel for an angle grinder.
Angle Grinder Discs (Angle Grinder)
Angle grinder (angle grinder, angle grinder) is a tool with which it is possible to perform several types of work. In each case, the use of additional devices is required. special discs and nozzles. Which circle to choose in a particular case?
Angle grinder disc sizes vary. Each of them has certain diameters. internal and external. The inner one is linked to the fit size of the angle grinder. For household grinders, it is the same. 22.2 mm. The depth of cut or the area of the ground surface depends on the outer diameter of the wheel. A larger blade gives a deeper cut. Outer disc diameters for an angle grinder: 115, 125, 150, 180, 230. Wheels have different thicknesses. When choosing, you need to give preference to those that are thicker. Thin disc will wear out faster.
In grinders’ grinding discs, the grain size plays an important role. The higher its value, the finer the size of the abrasive particles, which means the finer the grinding:
- 40–80. preliminary processing;
- 100–120. alignment;
- 180–240. final sanding.
Grit sizes for flexible diamond polishing wheels: 50, 100, 200, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000 and 3000 (finest grit). Grit is indicated by the marking on the back.
There are four types of diamond cutting discs:
- Solid (“Crown”). They are designed for wet cuts only. The cutting edge is continuous. This type of circles provides faster work performance, makes even cuts without chips.
- Segmental. Segmented discs have evenly spaced slots on the cutting edge directed towards the center. They divide the disk into equal parts. segments. Segment wheels are used when performing dry cuts.
- Combined (“Turbo”). The disc edge has a serrated shape, consisting of oblique grooves. This type of disc is versatile, suitable for dry and wet cuts.
- Turbo segment. Their edge is also jagged, but it is divided into segments, like a segmented disc. Suitable for dry cutting. The special shape increases productivity.
When cutting with an angle grinder, many types of materials (concrete, ceramics, etc.) generate a lot of dust. It is advisable to avoid harmful consequences for the person performing the work, as well as the deposition of dust on the surrounding objects. Therefore, the technique of “wet” cutting is used. During work, make sure that the cutting edge is moistened with water, then there is less dust.
On sale you can find wheels for an angle grinder with a flange. The flange fixes the circle reliably and quickly, increases rigidity, reduces vibration, increases processing accuracy, expands the capabilities of the tool, allows you to process “dead zones”, flat corners.
Classification by type of work
By the type of work performed, circles to an angle grinder are:
- Cut-off. They are designed for making cuts, rough cuts, etc. The cutting disc has a cutting edge that is a solid circle or is divided into segments.
- Sawing. The cutting edge has teeth. An angle grinder is used to trim many types of wood products and wood substitutes. To get the job done, you need a saw blade. This type of circles is designed for smooth, clean cutting of solid boards, plywood, parquet, drywall. It is also suitable for laminate, fibreboard, chipboard (including laminated), as well as grooves in gas silicate.
- Rough (grinding wheels). Such nozzles remove the old layer of paint, varnish, primer from the surface to be treated, and polish.
- Stripping. This is a kind of peeling. These include disc metal brushes. They can remove rust and other stubborn dirt.
- Petal circles. They are also referred to as stripping. The flap disc is used when processing metal, wood, plastic products, cleaning welded seams and burrs, removing rust, etc. A flap disc for an angle grinder consists of plates overlapped around the circumference, according to the principle of flower petals. Varieties: end, batch, with a mandrel. The flap disc for an angle grinder is designed for processing at an angle or normal flat. There are two subspecies of it. straight and conical. A straight flap disc is needed when grinding over a large area. Flap cone disc is suitable for finishing seams, joints, etc. The flap disc (folded) is also suitable for large areas. Grinding wheels with a mandrel for an angle grinder are used when working with cavities. They help to achieve the highest machining accuracy.
- For cutting seams. They are used when making joints in concrete, asphalt, etc. With such attachments, the grinder is also suitable for this work.
- Polishing. Such wheels are used for the final polishing of surfaces. These include replaceable polishing felt and felt attachments for an angle grinder with Velcro, as well as an emery wheel.
A huge selection of wheels for different purposes for an angle grinder allows you to perform a variety of tasks with this tool. From the assortment offered by manufacturers, you just need to choose the appropriate disc diameter, material, shape. It should be remembered that the high cost is associated with a higher strength of the wheel, which means that the service life of the tool sometimes increases several times.
For cutting stone
For cutting stone in a domestic environment, an abrasive disc made of silicon carbide (marked with the letter C) is suitable.
This cutting disc is used for small work in stone, as it wears out quickly. But, due to the low cost, this consumable is quite popular with the owners of the grinders.
For professional use, an abrasive disc for stone is not suitable. For these purposes, it is recommended to choose a diamond-coated all-metal cutting wheel.
If you need to cut metal, then always use bakelite-bonded consumables with reinforcing elements. In this case, there must be at least 2 reinforcing nets.
For ferrous metals, ordinary corundum is used, containing, in addition to aluminum oxide, impurities of chlorine, iron and sulfur.
For cutting stainless steel, the presence of the above impurities in the composition of the cutting wheel is unacceptable, since they cause the steel to burn (overheating). As a result of this, alloying additives can burn out from the stainless steel, and it turns into ordinary steel, as a result of which the cut site begins to be covered with rust. Therefore, it is important to carefully read the information printed on it before purchasing a disc. Cutting disc for stainless steel is always marked with the letters “AS” and the word “INOX”.
For cutting non-ferrous metals, discs with large abrasive particles are used. For example, a cutting wheel for aluminum, in addition to coarse abrasive, contains special fillers that prevent clogging of the cutting edge.
Often, users of angle grinders ask themselves: which metal cutting discs are better to use? An ideal angle grinder disc should have:
- bakelite reinforced bundle (BU);
- the correct type of abrasive: for stainless steel white fused alumina (AS), for ferrous metal. ordinary corundum;
- disc thickness from 1.6 to 2 mm;
- outer diameter 125 mm;
- fine abrasive particles if cutting of steel structures is required.
Varieties of cutting discs
Cut-off wheels for an angle grinder can be either abrasive or all-metal. Depending on the type of material to be processed, the type of cutting disc is also selected.
What are the cutting discs for an angle grinder?
The main tool for an angle grinder is cut-off wheels. It is no secret that the quality and speed of the work performed directly depends on the correct selection of consumables. Therefore, before you go to buy a disc for an angle grinder, it is recommended that you familiarize yourself with the main types and characteristics of consumables.
Discs for cutting concrete and reinforced concrete are made of high-strength hardened steel, coated with diamond chips on the cutting part. Also, these cutting wheels can be segmented and solid.
Before starting to cut concrete, you need to determine its type. It can be regular or reinforced (containing a metal mesh). It is also worth considering the age of the concrete.
- Young concrete has abrasive properties, so it quickly wears out the tool. To cut it, it is required to use diamond segmented discs for concrete of increased thickness.
- Old concrete is a very hard material. To process it, it is better to use a wheel on an angle grinder of moderate thickness.
A universal diamond wheel is installed for cutting reinforced concrete.
Color coding of diamond discs
Diamond wheels are marked with the following colors:
- orange. for cutting bricks;
- blue cuts well on concrete and marble;
- green is used for cutting granite;
- gray cuts tiles, granite and ceramics;
- yellow. alabaster and tiles.
For cutting tiles and porcelain stoneware
It is best to use one-piece diamond cut discs for cutting ceramic tiles. These discs are usually labeled “Wet Cut”. As practice shows, this tool remarkably makes a smooth, with a minimum of chips, a cut on a tile even without the use of water, although a lot of fine dust is formed.
Solid diamond disc can also be used on porcelain stoneware.
By the way, this circle can be used not only for ceramics, but also for cutting thick glass.
TYROLIT PREMIUM POLISHING PROGRAM
On the tile, of course, you can use segmented (dry) and turbo discs, but the cut quality will be very low, since chips will inevitably form along its edges.
The following information can be obtained from the marking.
- The material from which the nozzle is made is indicated by the first letter: A. corundum, used for cutting metal; AS. electrocorundum (white), cuts stainless steel; C. silicon carbide, good for cutting stone and concrete. Metal cannot be cut with this abrasive attachment.
- Further, after the letter denoting the material, there is a number. It means how many abrasive grains are in a unit area. Accordingly, the smaller the grain, the higher the figure. If you need to cut steel, then choose a disc with a finer grit. 40 or 60. Coarse discs are used mainly for cutting non-ferrous metals.
- The next parameter is the bond hardness. It is designated by letters of the Latin alphabet (H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T). The closer the letter is to the beginning of the alphabet, the softer the bond, and vice versa. For processing soft materials, the bond must be hard, and for strong and hard materials. soft.
- The last letters indicate the type of bundle. Ceramic is marked with the letter V. Such discs are distinguished by good water resistance, fire resistance and resistance to chemicals. The bakelite bond is denoted by the letter B. Such circles have good flexural and compressive strength, but break when used with an alkaline coolant. Also, bunches based on bakelite have low heat resistance. At a temperature of 200 degrees, it becomes brittle, and at high temperatures, it begins to fade. The third type of bond. bakelite with increased strength. is marked as BF or BU.
- The maximum speed that cannot be exceeded for this consumable. Linear edge speed can be indicated in m / s or rpm.
- Circle dimensions in mm: outer diameter, thickness and seat diameter.
- Manufacturing date. Usually indicated by a metal insert around the bore. It is not allowed to install an expired wheel on an angle grinder, as it may eventually lose strength and fly apart during operation.
- Purpose of the nozzle. Indicates which materials the tool is designed to cut.
- Color coding: blue is used for cutting steel, green is used for stone cutting.
Features and purpose
Attachments for an angle grinder help the user to work not only on wood, but also to process metal products, cut glass, and are suitable for brushing. They can be classified by type of use, size, shape. Any nozzle that is used in the design of an angle grinder has its own color, this is a kind of marking that indicates the purpose of the product.
For example, a disc with blue paint is used for metal. The user should remember that such a product is placed on an instrument that is additionally equipped with the ability to adjust the speed, the other is not suitable for use.
Outside diameter and circle thickness are the main parameters by which the discs are differentiated.
The product is produced in three versions:
The most popular are 125 mm. The least common circles with a diameter of 150 and 80 mm.
Those nozzles that are used for processing concrete and stone surfaces are made exclusively from silicon carbide, since it is this material that provides the necessary efficiency. However, this nozzle is not used for cutting red bricks, it is better to take with a diamond coating.
When it comes to wood processing, it can be rough or not.
For the first option, planer discs are used, through which you can quickly cut a log or a wooden post. This attachment can only be used on an instrument that is equipped with a second handle. Protective guard can be removed as bit breakage is unlikely due to integral disc design.
If it is necessary to remove the bark, it is worth using a peeling disc, which perfectly replaces the usual and more familiar hand tool. an ax. They can additionally saw not too thick boards.
For better processing of wooden blanks, abrasive discs are used, but for this the operator must have the skill and ability.
Often, to work with the described material, cutters are used, which are necessary for sawing, edge finishing, and cutting out a bowl. If such a nozzle is taken, then it is impossible to remove the casing intended for additional protection of the operator, and the speed at which the disc rotates must be that specified by the manufacturer.
Among other things, an angle grinder is a tool used as a grinding unit.
If this is a primary treatment, then cord brushes are used, since they quickly level the surface. The ends are processed with the corresponding end discs.
Petal-type nozzles are always used in the amount of several products, since it will be necessary to take them separately for various operations performed.
They begin to work with a disc on which there is a coarse abrasive, then the grain should be smaller and smaller in size. Sanding discs can be used when preparing the substrate before painting, cycling, finishing edges.
To polish the wood, use the appropriate discs, the working base of which is made from various, softer materials, for example, sponges, sandpaper.
Discs that are installed on circular saws are not allowed to be used on an angle grinder, since the edge does not withstand the load, and the teeth fly apart.
If you classify discs by material that was used by the manufacturer in the manufacture, then they are:
- with abrasive;
Diamond cut-off wheels are based on steel, on which a special spraying is applied. The versatility of the discs has made them in demand in the market.
Best Cut Off Wheel for Steel and Stainless Steel. Silicon Carbide,Aluminum Oxide,Zirconium Cutoff?
The nozzle, which is called “turtle”, also has a diamond coating, but at its base is flexible rubber, which is particularly durable. The nozzle has a grooved structure, they cling with Velcro. If we talk about the design features of the nozzle, then this is a circle in the form of a plate with a special quality glue applied to the surface.
When performing the task, specialized paper is used, on which there is also a layer of glue, due to which the required level of fixation is achieved. The plate has different thicknesses, depending on the model. The manufacturer makes it both hard and soft.
Experts advise against using hard ones during grinding or polishing, as carelessness leads to the appearance of a dent.
At the time of operation of the velcro circle, the user needs to understand that when driving it develops a high speed, therefore it heats up. Therefore, products with holes are preferable as they cool better. It is also required to constantly monitor the degree of wear of the nozzle, otherwise the user will work with the base.
For the manufacture of carbide discs, special alloys are used that form a strong connection. There is a solder on the edge, which consists of high carbon steel with molybdenum, nickel, chromium. Abrasive articles are made from latex paper because it is characterized as a material with high density and resistance to water. The structure has a reinforced mesh, on which an abrasive coating is applied.
Sometimes the wheels have a polymer base. Scraper discs have a metal wire that removes paint, varnish or rust from the surface.
- cutting the material;
- polishing and grinding;
Cutting discs are used much more frequently and are available in various types on the market. If it is a circle for metal, then the size of its diameter is usually 115-230 mm, and 125 mm is also on sale. The diameter of the nozzle varies and the thickness of the product, as a rule, it ranges from 1 to 3.2 mm.
Inexpensive cutting discs are usually about 2.5 mm, grinding sanding discs have a greater thickness of about 6 mm. Rim diameter is always 22.2 mm.
Abrasives are more widely used, they cut and grind not only stone, but also metal. In comparison with them, diamond ones have better performance, since they cut the material faster, moreover, they have a high level of safety.
The nozzles, the main purpose of which is the processing of a stone surface, differ little in parameters from those that are used when it is necessary to cut the metal, however, a different abrasive is applied to them.
Wood products look like saws and are dangerous to work with, so you should be especially careful. It is best to use discs with fine teeth rather than high feed. In parallel, it is best to use a special mount for remote fixation of the element.
Standard blades are thin and inexpensive. Diamond coated on one side with a special coating, versatile, since they can cut any material, so they are expensive and have more weight than the rest. These abrasive nozzles are commercially available with two or one ring of applied abrasive. They can create a solid slot or cross-slotted.
It is difficult for an inexperienced buyer to understand at first glance what exactly this or that product can be used for, so it is worth familiarizing yourself with the data indicated on the packaging.
You can also find many options for felt discs on the market:
- with a sponge;
- with matter;
- with sandpaper;
- with felt;
- with the ability to change the sandpaper.
To use such a device, an additional grinding paste is used, which contains a fine abrasive. Often, tungsten carbide grinding discs are required for work, which are a cheaper equivalent to discs made from diamond, therefore, their service life is much shorter.
It is very important that the user pays attention to the quality of the abrasive used in the construction. The quality of the processed surface is directly dependent on this indicator.
If rough cleaning is necessary, then it is worth using products with 40-80 abrasive abrasive. There are also products on sale with an abrasive index of up to 3000, which differ little from ordinary paper. They are more expensive and allow you to achieve the highest quality polish.
Fiber products are made from fine and flexible fibers held together with a special resin. They need to be used with a lining. Such discs have a wide range of applications, they are quickly replaced by equipment. They create the necessary pressure zone on the material, cut it easily, and are supplied at an affordable price. You can work with them at different speeds.
Nylon mesh is ideal for removing paint and rust. However, it can act too hard on the metal and remove it to a more permissible thickness, in this case, special sponges are used that do not damage aluminum, so their use is possible on fiberglass.
Roughing or even such discs are called sharpening discs, they are also different:
- diamond coated;
- with abrasive;
- twisted wire.
To work well on a stone or metal surface, you need to take a twisted wire nozzle.
The design of such a product is very simple, it has two cups, and a steel brush made of wire of a certain diameter is clamped between them. Abrasive-type sharpening discs are used for sharpening various tools, as well as for cleaning the weld. There is a hole in the middle, product thickness from 5 mm.
Diamond for roughing is very similar to the previous option, except that they only use one part, where the working edge is located. When working with such a product, there are limitations. metal blanks and surfaces should not be processed, only stone and concrete. There are other attachments that must be mentioned.
For the primary processing of wood, rough and sloppy stripping, take:
- stripping disc.
The disk planer attachment allows you to completely replace hand tools, which significantly reduces the time to complete the task. The product is simply irreplaceable if it is necessary to carry out rough processing, which is very appreciated in the construction of log cabins or the preparation of wooden poles.
During operation, the user is required to wear protective clothing, including goggles over the eyes, no bare hands and feet, as chips can fly off at high speed.
Rough discs are used as an alternative to the carpenter’s ax. Sometimes they cut the material, only the cut is wide, with a lot of sawdust.
The described tool is also used for milling when milling cutters are used. The former are present on the market in a rich assortment, differing in the size of the abrasive grain. Such a nozzle has few differences, if we compare it with a rasp, only the speed of the task is the main difference.
If you have sufficient experience, you can finish using the product. Cutters are marketed specially made for woodworking.
- dimensions of the teeth;
- the location of the sharp ends on the edge.
The main area of application of such a product is the formation of a bowl, groove selection, edge alignment. They can also be used to cut a small workpiece with the appropriate section.
Particular attention should be paid to grinding wheels. They act as a versatile helper. Changing such a device is as easy as shelling pears; they do it as needed, when significant wear on the working surface becomes noticeable, while the nozzle remains. Use for sanding wood, sanding, sanding or finishing edges.
As for the petal discs, they are very similar in principle to the use of “turtles”, the only significant drawback is that such a nozzle is disposable, so the cost of wood processing increases significantly.
Such a disk looks like a small plate on which sandpaper was glued in several layers. The grain size may vary depending on the model selected by the user.
Most often, such nozzles are used for rough processing of not only wood, but also metal, therefore the size of the abrasive is from 40 to 100.
If we consider in more detail the disadvantages of this type of nozzles, then with a large number of revolutions, the disc quickly wears out, clogs, especially if a fine-grained product is used. This circle is best used for removing a layer of paint, for example, on the body of a car, to be sure that the metal cannot be severely damaged.
If you want to increase the service life of the product, then it is worth working at low speeds and carefully monitoring the degree of pressure, otherwise dents may form on the surface.
Metal brushes are also used as attachments for this type of tool. There are many modifications on the market that differ in the thickness of the wire used. Used for cleaning various products, including removing rust, varnish or welding scale.
If we consider the products by the type of wire used, then they can be as follows.
- Flat corrugated steel. They are used for rough processing of metal surfaces, as a rule, the wire diameter is in the range from 0.3 to 0.4 mm.
- Twisted. The main difference is that the wire in the structure is twisted and assembled into a bundle, although it is still made of steel. As a result, in this design, the brush is particularly strong, rigid and resistant to wear. With the help of a nozzle, you can quickly remove a thick layer of paint, treat a large surface area.
- Brass plated: Used when special care is required from a person. They are not suitable for polishing, but due to the fact that a soft and thin wire is used, the surface will be cleaned with high quality, without the formation of coarse irregularities. Often, the nozzle is used when processing wood, but only for rough.
- Cup-shaped. They are made of twisted wire, but the diameter is 0.7-0.8 mm. Can be used with great effort, allows you to quickly remove paint and rust. On sale there are nozzles not only for processing wood and metal, but also stone, including grinding granite or marble. As a rule, these are diamond bowls that come in different sizes. The cutting part is on the outer surface, hence the high efficiency.
If the user wants a softer processing, then it is recommended to use the turbo option, where the cutting part is fanned around the edge, hence the higher processing quality. It is worth remembering that to work with such a nozzle, you will need a powerful tool with a maximum speed.
Of all the models on the modern market, we will single out a few.
- DeWALT DW4523 4-1 / 2-Inch 1/4 Inch. Has a low lock system in the design. The recessed mesh allows for end work with one eighth blade. The model has 3 sheets of fiberglass, which makes it an attractive service life. Features a high concentration of abrasive and a smooth running wheel.
- P80 ½ BAOSTC 4. Has zirconium oxide on the surface. Possesses high performance and service life. Manufactured with fiberglass backing. The stem is quickly removed during operation, there is no big noise at the time of use. Low cost attracts users.
- SandBlaster 3M 9677 4-1 / 2. Sharpening products, including mower blades. Due to its high quality, it will last a long time, however, you will need an adapter for the disk. They are perfect for finishing a variety of surfaces. It is used when it is necessary to sand the metal or when it is necessary to make the polished surface look perfect. Has high strength, works like a normal fiber disc, but has an improved design.
- DeWALT DW8061B5 4-Inch. Features high performance, thin cutting edge design and two full sheets of glass fabric. There is aluminum oxide on the surface.
The product is suitable for working with any type of stainless steel.
Angle grinder attachments: purpose, characteristics, tips for choosing
The angle grinder is considered a versatile tool, since the attachment can be replaced and the unit is already suitable for solving a different task. Discs differ not only in purpose, but also in size, materials used in the manufacture.
Most attachments for tools such as an angle grinder are universal. Their main field of use is cutting and polishing. If the tool is used professionally, then it is necessary that the discs for it are appropriate.
Before buying a large or small angle grinder, you need to set the type of disc that suits the task at hand. Size is of no small importance, and with it the motor power is taken into account in the design of the angle grinder.
The most popular at 115 and 230 millimeters. There are situations when a worker uses a small disc size for a pneumatic tool. These handheld aggregates allow for increased accuracy, which is essential for a variety of tasks.
Not in the last place when choosing comfort, but it largely depends on weight and size.
If you do not plan to use a power tool for a large construction site, then it is worth choosing an angle grinder and discs for it of a smaller diameter.
It is more convenient to work with such a unit, and it fits better in the hand, vibration is not transmitted so much, so you can hold it longer in time.
When choosing a disk, it is not always worth choosing the cheap option, since in the future you can overpay twice. Diamond ones are more expensive, but they also allow you to make a straight, clean cut even after several uses. They also have a much longer shelf life than abrasive ones. To some, its cost may seem prohibitive, however, it is possible to save money if you look in the long term.
The main distinguishing feature of a quality disc is the abrasive material that is applied.
Sanding discs began to be produced in the 70s of the last century, over time they have become more advanced and have a longer service life. They are used not only for metal, but also for wood. When it comes to woodworking, nothing works better than abrasive attachments. They have carbide particles that work on all types of wood. These highly sharp, tapered teeth provide excellent superficial layer removal while remaining easy to use and manipulate to control the angle of the angle grinder.
There are products on sale that look very much like a chainsaw. They are made of steel, the teeth are well sharpened. At the time of use, maximum care is required from a person. At the time of purchasing the disc, it is very important that the diameter on the outside does not exceed the specified maximum value, which is allowed by the manufacturer of the angle grinder. As an example, you can take a tool with a diameter threshold of 125 mm.
The user should not install a 230 mm accessory because:
- the speed of movement of the incisal edge is exceeded, as a result of which it collapses and can simply fly apart, causing injury to the user;
- a tool with small dimensions simply will not pull the power to work with such a device;
- even if a disc of a larger diameter is placed on the equipment, it will be necessary to remove the protection, and this is a direct violation of the rules dictated by safety requirements.
The landing diameter on modern units is 22.2 mm.
If the user has an outdated model, then to use modern discs, you will need to purchase an adapter or adapter.
Each abrasive wheel has special markings that simplify the selection process for the user.
- seat size;
- maximum speed of revolutions;
- materials that can be processed with such a nozzle.
How to use?
There are several rules on how to use disks in order not only to correctly complete the task, but also not to suffer.
Blending & Finishing Stainless Steel using an Angle Grinder with Rapid Prep flap disc
- Before turning on the angle grinder, regardless of which nozzle is used by the operator, it is worth looking at the element for defects. Cracks, missing pieces, or other damage to the disc are a potential hazard. Never use a damaged disc, as it can potentially rip out and throw a piece of material at high speed towards a person.
- Never use a cutting disc for grinding because the product is thin and not designed to withstand lateral pressure, unlike discs used specifically for this purpose. They can bend and collapse. If you act with the side edges on the material, this will thin the disc, overload it and potentially lead to the fact that it simply shatters into small pieces.
- Discs should not be used at a speed higher than that for which they were designed. There is a mark on the surface indicating the maximum speed. The larger the disc, the lower the maximum rotation speed.
- Before starting work, make sure that the flange nut is tightened tightly, and the disc itself is installed correctly.
- Do not use the attachment if the expiration date has passed. The material suffers from moisture and time, loses its original qualities, which leads to softening of the binder resin and weakening of the structure.
- The “cavity” on the depressed central disc should face outward.
- If you need to cut stainless steel, use a nozzle made of a difficult abrasive material. Thinner ones are available for cutting metal and are used for metal profiles. They cut through the material quickly, with less friction, without damaging the protective coating. However, they also wear out faster. Diamond can be used to cut brick, stone, concrete, slate and tile.
- The best way to cut metal is to first mark the cut line using a Tippex mark. Then the ridges are cut first, and then the depressions. The best way to avoid rolling back is to cut the ridges from the back by pulling the angle grinder towards you, then cut the indentations away from you. Sheets for metal profiles are so thin that the disc can deflect and hit with the edge, then it will simply burst. In any case, the pressure should be minimal to reduce the likelihood of such a situation developing.
Thin discs used for stainless steel are best for minimizing friction and preventing paint burning.
When purchasing a wheel for an angle grinder, many factors are taken into account that determine the final choice. For each individual case, an individual approach is required. The main conditions on which the characteristics and optimal dimensions depend are:
- Material. Most commonly, regular concrete is cut with a dry cut segment tool. At the same time, the new concrete surface has a high level of abrasiveness. This becomes the reason for the rapid wear of the discs. For such work, it is better to purchase thicker discs. Old concrete is stronger than young concrete, so it is better to use moderate thickness options for it. If the composition of the cement-sand mixture includes quartz sand or balsat, then the abrasiveness of concrete is off scale. It is better to choose options where the diamond plates are silver soldered to the base. If you need to cut reinforced concrete, granite or concrete, then a soft diamond wheel is used.
- Cutting method. Cutting reinforced concrete and concrete accurately and quickly; wet technology will allow avoiding the appearance of dust and overheating of the tool. But before buying solid discs, you need to make sure that the cutting equipment has a cooling system. For dry cutting, buy segmented circles.
- Working conditions. For home use, select products with an optimal ratio of quality and price. They will be able to cope with reinforced concrete and medium reinforced concrete. If they are used periodically and overloads are not allowed, then they will last quite a long time. Professional discs are designed for permanent use. They have increased durability and wear resistance. Distal and Bosch produce the best examples. Such products must be purchased strictly for their intended purpose: cutting of concrete with a disc on marble cannot be performed.
- Equipment and cutting depth. The deeper you need to cut, the larger the diameter of the circle should be. At the same time, do not forget about the capabilities of the device. If you mount a disc that is too large, then its linear speed will be very high, which will lead to rapid wear. And if you put on a small one, then the car will heat up and skid. For powerful wall saws, diamond circular saws are produced, the outer diameter of which should not exceed 1200 millimeters. To work with large-sized foundation blocks and concrete elements, machines are needed with a working diameter of 350-400 millimeters.
Discs for hand-held power tools are more modest in size. For cutting concrete when repairing a room, products with a diameter of 115-120 millimeters are used. To process lintels in openings, slopes and other elements, use discs for an angle grinder for reinforced concrete and concrete, the diameter of which is 150-230 millimeters.
The wall chaser works in the same way as the angle grinder. But concrete is gated with two diamond circles. The width and depth of the cut are adjustable during operation. The diameter is selected depending on the depth of the groove. It ranges from 110-365 millimeters. Grooves for any communications can be made using dry technology efficiently and quickly, using a powerful chasing cutter and diamond wheels for reinforced concrete.
Chain saw blades for wood: application advantages
In this case, the saw blade is made using a chain from a chainsaw. Such a nozzle is the most suitable for working with wood, as it has the highest efficiency. A wood chain disc for an angle grinder is also considered the safest. The use of this accessory greatly reduces the likelihood of injury if the tool becomes jammed.
If the disc during operation hits a solid element of the tree (for example, a knot), the chain is not destroyed. This happens by turning the base. Such nozzles are very popular when it is necessary to clean the tree trunk from bark and knots.
Chain saw blades are considered the most suitable for working with wood.
Saw blades for wood for an angle grinder with a chain are used for all kinds of work. With their help, you can remove tree branches, as well as cut boards of small thickness. The functionality of the chain products allows them to be used as peeling tools. They do an excellent job of removing bark.
The saw blade can be used to smoothly cut parquet boards, plywood, fibreboard, chipboard, as well as ordinary unedged and edged wood products. It is important to remember that the thickness of the material that will be processed with such a nozzle should be no more than 4 cm.Otherwise, there is a high probability of overheating of the device.
Selection by type of polishing
You can choose polishing discs according to the type of polishing, taking into account the required tasks. Motorists polish the body, headlights, glass, wooden elements.
Sharpening discs and roughing bits
This type of attachments has expanded functionality and three types are distinguished among the general proposals: diamond roughing, cones. Abrasive sharpening.
- Rollers are used for roughing stone and metal surfaces, for example removing old paint or dried cement. The attachment is a steel cup with a wire brush around the perimeter. The size of the wire can be different: from thin to thick wire.
- Abrasive grinding discs are used for metal processing, if, for example, you need to clean up a weld seam or sharpen a cutting tool. Most often, such attachments are used on small grinders, since they are more convenient and easier to work with. Sharpening attachments differ from cutting ones, in the shape and thickness of the disc.
- Diamond grinding discs for an angle grinder are similar in appearance to abrasive grinding wheels and the only difference is in the cutting edges. The roughing disc is not used on metal surfaces, only on concrete and stone.
Today it is difficult to imagine a construction or repair process without using an angle grinder, since even a simple laying of tiles is not complete without this necessary tool. And thanks to the presence of all kinds of attachments, the angle grinder is simply irreplaceable at a construction site, in the country and at home.
Every metal polishing wheel is flexible and resilient. Due to these qualities, the nozzle is tightly pressed against the surface. The following products are used for metal polishing:
- coarse calico;
You can choose the right nozzle only if you know the features of the surface to be treated and the required level of roughness.
Dismantle old coatings from the floor. Achieve as flat a surface as possible before using an angle grinder.
Attention! If there are a lot of potholes and holes, then increase the density of the fillers.
Inspect the floor for cracks in the expansion joints. If they are, then close up and grind problem areas. Before using the tool, check the strength of the coating on a small area.
You should know the design of the coating. If there is metal reinforcement in the upper layer, then remove with an angle grinder, cutting off with an ordinary disc.
Grinding and Polishing Discs for Angle Grinder
There are a lot of types of grinding and polishing wheels. depending on the required surface quality, discs with replaceable sandpaper, felt, and spongy, and even cloth can be installed on the angle grinder.
Most of them require the use of special fine abrasive pastes or even liquids to work. For coarse grinding and deburring, fine abrasive grinding wheels are used. Grinding discs for an angle grinder allow you to finish almost any material to the required roughness. such attachments are used even in auto repair shops for polishing car bodies.
Discs for ceramic tiles
Diamond discs for angle grinder for cutting tiles, concrete and stone
To work with tiles, diamond discs are used, consisting of a metal base with diamond brazing. Often, especially in the markets, ceramic discs for cutting tiles are offered, those that are designed for cutting concrete. In principle, they can be used to cut tiles, but the line itself will be full of chips. Therefore, in order to make the right choice of discs for an angle grinder for tiles, you need to be guided by the following:
a) the circle for concrete in the upper part under the diamond brazing has holes, and the diamond brazing itself is made in the form of evenly spaced slots. This design is due to the fact that when cutting into concrete through holes and cuts, debris dust formed during cutting comes out. If the disc did not have this, it would quickly clog and jam. And if you cut a tile with such a disk, then with holes and slots it will chip off the top coating (enamel), which has a glass structure and will fly apart, hitting the skin and eyes;
b) therefore, for the tile, discs are made without holes and depressions on a diamond brazing. They (discs) are perfectly smooth over the entire plane and cut tiles without chips. They cannot jam, since the thickness of the tiles is relatively small.
As for the dimensions of the discs, they are similar to discs for metal, that is, the diameter of the circle is from 125 to 230 mm and the seat is 22.2 mm. Just as for metal wheels, complete information about its properties is applied to a diamond disc.