Adhesive for PVC panels; how you can glue plastic panels to the wall Before starting the repair, many are wondering how to glue the plastic panels to the wall, what tool to use. Traditionally, it is believed that panels are best attached only to a pre-built frame that will align the walls and anchor the decorative covering more firmly.
Adhesive bonding recommendations
It is quite easy to glue the panels if you follow some recommendations and choose the right means. As an adhesive, one that is applied with a special thermal gun is suitable; for example, so-called liquid nails perfectly interact with PVC surfaces. The decorative coating is also perfectly attached using Moment-Montage or Titanium adhesives. In addition, polyurethane sealant has excellent adhesive properties, which does not expand during use.
When choosing an adhesive, consider the following qualities:
- After drying, it should become transparent.
- The quality of bonding surfaces must be high.
- The glue must be resistant to cold, humidity, alkalis, temperature extremes and sunlight.
- It must have the property of durability.
- It should set in a short time.
- It should be environmentally friendly.
- The glue should not have a strong unpleasant odor; formulations with increased toxicity should be avoided.
Among the good proven products, Kleiberit 636 can be distinguished, it is safe for health, resistant to moisture, applied on one side, and dries quickly. Moment Crystal is perfect for decorative coating. It perfectly withstands low temperatures, moisture, has the property of transparency and quickly glues surfaces.
Procedure for gluing panels:
- Remove old wallpaper and paint from the walls.
- Level the surface.
- Degrease the entire surface of the wall to which the panels will be attached.
- Degrease the inside of the PVC product.
There are tools that are not recommended to be used; it is better to pre-test and see how the glue will behave. In particular, do not use Moment, which can lead to surface swelling or panel delamination.
Today on sale you can find special glue designed specifically for plastic panels, it is best to use it. It is quite economical in terms of cost and expense. The adhesive is not applied to the entire surface of the panel, but only in 5 points in the center and in the corners. This will be enough to keep the panel firmly on the wall.
Using liquid nails
When attaching plastic panels, liquid nails have proven to be excellent. However, when using this glue, it should be borne in mind that such nails are different, some may turn out to be too strong for thin decorative panels, which leads to swelling of the surfaces, therefore it is better to test on a small area of the coating before starting work.
601 Liquid Nails Adhesive is used on a variety of materials for interior renovations. To correct the work, the manufacturer leaves 10 minutes from the moment of attachment.
901 Liquid Nails are versatile, suitable for both indoor and outdoor use, and can glue durable heavy structures.
Liquid nails for plastic panels
For a bathroom or a separate shower stall, Liquid Nails 915 is perfect. The tool is used for interior work, providing a strong connection that does not allow moisture to penetrate.
The wall to which the PVC structures will be attached should be thoroughly cleaned, leveled, pretreated against fungus, degreased and thoroughly dried. Liquid nails are carefully applied to the wall surface in the form of a mesh, the decorative coating is pressed with a rubber roller, the seams at the joints are laid with silicone sealant. If you do not want to suffer with the alignment of the walls, you can make a lathing from a metal profile or wooden blocks. In the latter case, they must be treated with a solution against moisture. Next, the panels are attached using liquid nails.
It is better to start work from the corner, putting a special bar there. If the decorative cover is installed under the ceiling, it is necessary to use a ceiling plinth and fix the first panel in its groove. Further, the decorative covering is attached from top to bottom, at the junction with the floor, you should install the floor plinth and complete the work with it. Then the whole wall will look neat. If errors are found, replace the panel immediately, without allowing the glue to completely dry.
Adhesive for PVC panels how you can glue plastic panels to the wall
Before starting the repair, many are wondering how to glue the plastic panels to the wall, which tool to use. Traditionally, it is believed that panels are best attached only to a pre-built frame that will align the walls and anchor the decorative covering more firmly. However, this method has several disadvantages, including its high cost and reduced space in the apartment. Today, the method of gluing panels directly to the wall is more commonly practiced.
A hacksaw is considered more practical to use, and it does not matter whether it is for metal or for wood. The only requirement when using a hacksaw for wood is the presence of small teeth, which should not be set apart, because this way the surface of the material that needs to be cut into pieces is destroyed. Such a tool is often used for cross cutting.
The advantage of this tool is the ability to cut multiple panels simultaneously. For this operation, you will need to stack the material.
For convenience when cutting, it is better to have the planks facing the performer. When subjecting the length of the panels to a decrease, care must be taken not to apply enormous force when pressing the tool, because this can break the PVC sheets.
What do you need?
At present, a huge number of tools have been created, thanks to which it is possible to shorten the length of a particular material. When working with plastic panels, it is necessary to take into account many factors, among which the main ones are practicality, cutting speed, surface quality, as well as ease of use.
To carry out work safely, you must clearly follow the following rules:
- When working with panels that were brought in from the cold, you must wait a short period of time. This action is necessary in order to warm the material. If you do not follow the advice, the plastic panels will break during the cutting process, thereby losing their neat appearance. There are often cases when cracks appear on the surface that is cut along.
- In order to obtain several planks of the same length, it is necessary to lay them on at least 2 supports. Thus, there is protection against sagging or displacement. It is recommended to rest the edge of the element that is not pruned against the wall. Thanks to this action, you can protect against their shift.
- You can make the process easier by marking with a pencil or felt-tip pen.
- It is necessary to cut correctly with the wrong side of the panel down, because during processing under the influence of a load, the profile of the strip changes and causes some inconvenience during the installation process. Microcracks often appear on the front surface, which appear in the future.
- When using a power tool, use protective goggles and gloves that can protect against debris and sawdust flying in different directions during the cutting process.
One of the universal devices for cutting any material is a hacksaw, which is sure to be found in the arsenal of any master. It is she who will help, if necessary, cut the plastic wall panel. Such work will take more time than using a special cutter, but with significant volumes of cladding, this will not significantly affect the overall duration of the repair.
When using a hacksaw, you should heed the following recommendations from experts:
- For working with plastic finishing materials, you should use a tool with small teeth, which is usually designed for working with metal or wood;
- To shorten the PVC panel, there is no need to apply strong physical force, which can damage the material;
- You can cut several parts at once with a hacksaw by folding them in a pile and securing them to avoid bending or displacement.
To prevent the cut from being serrated, it is not recommended to use a tool with teeth set in different directions.
If necessary, this tool can be made independently from available tools, for which it is enough to adhere to the following recommendations:
- It is necessary to prepare a metal strip, the thickness of which is at least 2 mm, and the width is 1 cm;
- Then you should cut one of the edges of the workpiece at an angle of 45 degrees;
- It is necessary to sharpen the edge of a homemade product using a grindstone;
- The opposite side should be wrapped with electrical tape, which will allow you to protect your hand from damage during operation.
A professional cutter for plastic has a relatively low cost, so its purchase can be a profitable investment, because thanks to such a tool, the process of cutting PVC panels becomes not only more convenient, but also quite fast.
PVC panels are one of the modern types of finishing materials, which are made by extrusion and are used both in the bathroom and in the living room. The main raw material in the production of such products is polyvinyl chloride, which is used to fill the mold. To give the panels the desired color, a certain amount of crushed natural chalk is added to their composition.
Decorating PVC panels can be done in one of the following ways:
- Thermal printing;
- Offset printing.
Thermal printing is applied to the plastic surface using a special roller heated to high temperatures, which presses the film to the surface of the product. Thanks to this technology, it is possible to quickly and clearly apply a pattern without losing the brightness of the image. The panel itself does not need additional varnishing. Offset printing is used much less frequently due to its high cost.
A hacksaw is a versatile tool that any craftsman has in his arsenal. It can easily cut plastic wall panels, if it is not possible to purchase a special cutter. With a hacksaw, the cutting process takes longer, but with a small amount of work, this does not significantly affect the duration of the wall cladding.
When sawing plastic with a hacksaw, the following nuances must be taken into account:
- For sawing PVC, use a tool with fine teeth for wood (cross-cut) or metal.
- You do not need to use strong force to cut the plastic, otherwise you may damage the material.
- With a hacksaw, you can cut several panels at once, folding them in a stack.
Experienced craftsmen, who have in their arsenal a whole set of special tools for processing plastic, are used to cut PVC panels for wall cladding with a special cutter. This useful tool makes an absolutely straight cut on plastic without the use of physical effort.
Craftsmen may well make that tool with their own hands according to the following instructions:
- It is necessary to take a strip of metal sheet with a thickness of at least 2 mm. The strip should be 1 cm wide.
- One edge of the metal strip is cut at a 45 degree angle.
- One side of the homemade cutter is sharpened with a grindstone.
- The opposite side is wrapped with electrical tape so as not to damage the hand during work.
How to cut plastic panels three cutting methods
Thrifty homeowners know that there is no better and more practical material for bathroom and toilet wall cladding than decorative PVC panels. They perfectly replace ceramic tiles in cases where there is not enough money or time for a full repair.
This material is also loved because it can be easily assembled with your own hands. However, the standard panel length is 3 m, which exceeds the ceiling height in typical high-rise buildings. In this regard, inexperienced craftsmen who decided to sheathe the walls of the bathroom with their own hands, the question arises of how to cut plastic panels at home. In this article we will talk about a special tool for sawing plastic and the tools at hand that can be used for this operation.