How to put the chain on the saw correctly. Side chain tensioner
Consider the step-by-step installation instructions for the side chain tensioner.
- As in the case of the quick tensioner, the first step is to prepare the work surface on which we lay out the block, combination wrench, bar and chain.
- We bring the engine block to the vertical position and unscrew the nuts with the combined wrench. The chain sprocket cover can now be removed.
- We turn the chain tensioner to the left so that the tensioning element touches the recess in the housing.
- Next, as with mounting with a quick tensioner, carefully place the chain on the bar. We start the process from the top of the tire. Important Observe the correct direction of the chain. A prerequisite is the presence of gloves for protection when working with sharp chain cutters.
- We turn the chain so that the tire is completely on the chain.
- We re-check the accuracy of the location and direction of the chain. The cutter located at the top of the tire should be facing forward.
- The chain is assembled with the tire. We put it on the sprocket. In the process, the guide bar slides onto the shoulder bolt.
- We put the cover on the engine block and tighten the nuts. Now the chain with the bar is rigidly fixed and it is possible to adjust the chain tension.
- If the chain is loose and slack, then its links will NOT be in the tire groove.
- Next, we turn the chain clamping screw to such an extent that the chain sags quite a bit, and the links of the tire located in the groove.
- Raise the top of the tire up and slightly tighten the screw. Chain links Must fully engage in groove.
- Tighten the nuts with the combined wrench.
- We re-check the location of the chain in the groove. And we check that there is no sagging.
- Next, we check if the chain is overtightened. To do this, release the chain brake, pull the chain along the mowing line of the movement (do not forget to wear protective gloves). If the chain does NOT move, then you need to unscrew the nuts again and repeat the above manipulations.
- You can activate the chain brake and start the chainsaw.
Fitting the tire on Stihl and Husqvarna
Chainsaw models from the manufacturer Stihl may differ during the assembly process. Step by step guide:
- Open the wing nut, remove the chain sprocket cover. Return it on the tire all the way to the right.
- Place the chain on the bar, starting from the top, the cutting tooth on the top side must point straight ahead.
- Attach the assembled tire to the chainsaw, pull the structure over the sprocket. Slide the guide onto the shoulder bolt. Close the cover, hit the pins in the holes provided by the manufacturer.
- Turn wing nut until sprocket cover is in contact with motor housing.
- Clamp bolt back forward, drive links Must fit into bar grooves. Tightens the wing nut completely.
At the end of work, check the tension, if the headset does not move well, adjust the tension with a nut. Engage the chain brake before starting.
The Husqvarna saw chain installation algorithm is almost identical. The main difference is that in most models, the tension and adjustment of the position of the headset to the body is controlled not by one, but by two wing nuts. A separate adjustment lever is rarely found on the protective housing of the outer sprocket, therefore the tension should be adjusted only with bolts.
Important! Before using the chainsaw, you should carefully read the owner’s manual. It describes in detail all the stages of setting up and assembling the instrument.
How to properly put a chain on a chainsaw?
In most chainsaw models, the chain is easy to put on the bar by unscrewing the main screw, then the links need to be placed on the drive sprocket. Before starting work, the general condition of all cutting surfaces and the guide groove and setting wheel should be inspected. Often, dirt and small chips accumulate in it, which will subsequently lead to planned repairs, deterioration of sliding. Step-by-step algorithm of work:
- Loosen the screws securing the sprocket protection cover, usually it is tightened with a wing nut.
- Return the tensioning sprocket to the right until it stops.
- Will overlay links to the headset, starting at the top. Drink so that they fall into the corresponding grooves.
- Replace the chain sprocket mount, tighten the nut. Guides Must fall into a special chute.
- Release the chain brake, pull the chain along the mowing line to check the tension. Tighten tensioner lever if necessary.
Figure 4. Installing the chain on the chainsaw
The setting wheel should rotate freely after installing the chainsaw chain. At the end of the work, it is imperative to lubricate all moving parts of the tool to avoid rapid wear.
Important! Installation of the headset should only be carried out with heavy protective gloves. This will protect you from injury and cuts from the sharp edges of the cutting edge of the teeth.
Features of manual and mechanized sharpening
Dull cutting edges of the saw chain appear:
- A noticeable decrease in performance;
- Ejection of small chips;
- The appearance of a characteristic smell of burnt wood.
To restore the cutting properties of the chains, several types of sharpening devices are used.
In its simplest form, it is a rail-mounted holder complete with a set of Special Files, in the other, a power-driven sharpener. Both technologies have their own advantages and disadvantages.
Low-performance and time-consuming manual chain sharpening helps to preserve its resource. The mechanized method provides good performance, but the lack of an individual approach to each cutting link of the chain negatively affects its durability.
Negative consequences of incorrect chain adjustment
Checking the condition and tension of the chain is included in the mandatory list of preparatory work.
Here is how much it will be possible to put the chain correctly depends:
- The duration of its subsequent operation;
- Safety of cutting operations of increased complexity;
- Resource of the engine and chainsaw as a whole.
Oversized headset drastically reduces work performance, initiates excessive loads on the power unit and transmission. Tire overheating and excessive fuel consumption also occur.
A loose chain can fly off the bar or break. The formation of traumatic moments is partially or completely eliminated by the emergency stop and catcher systems, which allow, with more or less success, to unravel the chainsaw chain and determine its suitability for subsequent operation.
Installing a part with damaged or deformed links can lead to uneven wear of the guide groove of the tire and the second undesirable consequences.
Tips and Tricks for Tensioning the Saw
Fitting the bar to the saw
There is a slot at one end of the tire sheet and two holes on the sides of it. When installing the tire with a slot, it is put on a special pin on the saw body, and one of the holes on the tensioning mechanism pin.
The second hole on the blade serves to transfer grease from the oil channel to the groove of the tire.
The chain is pulled over a drive sprocket located on the saw body and over a sprocket at the end of the bar. When installing the chain, you must take into account the correct direction of its rotation, which is usually indicated on the product itself.
After installing the chain, the saw sprocket is closed with a cover, the clamping nut of which is not tightened to the stop, so that the tire is not completely clamped.
Adjustment of the chain tension on Chinese saws is carried out using a special tension screw, the head of which has a slot for a screwdriver. It is located at the end of the device body. For tighter chain tension, rotate it clockwise.
The tensioning screw is rotated until the chain slack disappears. After that, it is manually scrolled on the tire towards the saw body. This is necessary to ensure that the “crack” of the chain teeth in the groove of the tire.
If the chain looses after spinning, then tighten it again.
After that, the tire is taken by its free end, lift it up to the stop and in this position, the chain slack is again eliminated.
At the last stage, the clamping nut is completely tightened on the casing covering the saw drive sprocket. At the same time, the tire is kept in the “raised” position.
Correctly tensioned chain should be freely removed by hand from the grooves of the tire on its two sides by about 3-4mm, and when lowering, lie back into the grooves.
Checking the tension after work
Once the chain is tensioned, it is only after a little operational testing that the chain tension can be verified. For this purpose, she makes several test cuts.
It is not uncommon for the chain to loosen after trial cuts. This happens when its links were contaminated, and during operation this contamination was dissolved by the lubricant.
If this happens, then the chain must be re-tightened, first slightly loosened the clamping nut on the casing and lifting the free end of the bar up. Saw, of course, before that you need to disconnect from the network.
At the end of the chain tension adjustment, always check whether it goes in the right direction without tension, and whether it is overtightened. To this end, it is unlocked, pressed the start button, and pushed forward by the teeth with a screwdriver. If she moves a little by inertia, then everything is fine.
And the last thing. Never adjust the tension of the saw chain when it is hot or not lubricated, otherwise there is a risk of it breaking during subsequent work.
The full version of the recommendations for tensioning the saw chain on the petrol and saw.
Receive a selection of new homemade products by mail. No spam, just helpful ideas!
We fill out the form you agree to the processing of personal data
How to tension the chain on a chainsaw: installation and correct operation
Regardless of the class and purpose of the chainsaw, the cutting device includes a guide bar and a saw chain with a tensioner. The instructions contain information on how to properly tension the chain on the chainsaw in order to exclude additional loads on the engine and accelerated wear of the headset.
This element of the intent mechanism is used in conditions of high variable loads, therefore, it requires constant monitoring during operation. A characteristic feature of the used saw chains is the increase in size due to the formation of gaps in the joints of the links.
The classic budget-class chainsaw chain tensioner is usually a threaded bolt with an adjusting component, standard or side-mounted. The chain tension is adjusted with the included wrench or screwdriver.
expensive models are equipped with easy-to-use devices that allow you to tension the chain with one movement of the lever or turn of the adjusting disc.
In the first case, the degree of tension is fixed with a locknut, in the second, the tire and the chain tensioner are locked in a given position by installing the cover. In both versions, reliable fixation of the chain in a given position is guaranteed, the possibility of compensating for its extension with minimal loss of working time.
# Spoiler # end_spoiler