3D wood carving on a circular saw
Hello dear readers and homemade products!
Surely you have seen more than once furniture with embossed panels, boxes or caskets with beautifully crafted volumetric lids and walls. Often this is manual painstaking work.
Usually, such operations are performed on a milling machine, but the question arises: is it possible to create a similar relief on wood using a conventional circular saw?
– Of course yes, and in this article Izzy, the author of the YouTube channel “izzy swan”, will tell you how to get these effects.
This method is very simple, and devices for it can be cut out on the same circular saw, unless you still need a screwdriver.
Materials. necessary for homemade.
– Thick plywood, board
– Bakelite wing nuts. T-rail. T-bolts
– Self-tapping screws for wood
– Saw blades for wood
– Sandpaper, spray varnish.
Manufacturing and processing process.
First of all, you need two simple devices. One of them is made up of two strips of thick plywood, which are folded in the form of the Latin letter L, and taken on self-tapping screws.
The height of the vertical cut must match the height of the stop. The depth of the resulting L-shaped stop from the master is 4.5 inches.
The master used ordinary nuts to fix the position, which he tightens with an allen wrench. It is better to install the wing nuts right away. hand-tightened.
By placing the edge of the stop just above the center of the saw blade, he raises it to the desired height. This will be the depth of material removal.
In addition to the L-shaped stop, the author uses additional equipment. a special pusher. The latter is a triangular piece of plywood with a short holder attached to it. This device helps to set the workpiece at a certain angle to the circular saw blade, stabilize its position, and move the workpiece more safely.
First of all, the author starts processing the perimeter of the workpiece.
Grinding these grooves is quite simple. It is enough to take a wooden round timber, wrap it with fine-grained sandpaper and. it’s in the bag, so to speak.
The master uses a special slotted disc, thanks to which grinding is done without much difficulty. Whereas after a normal disc, the wood “ruffles” a little stronger.
The secret of artistic woodworking on a circular saw, told by the author in this article, is just the tip of the iceberg, of those patterns that can be created on a circular saw.
Similar techniques are easily implemented on a milling machine. On it, you can get a groove profile of almost any shape, which depends on the cutter used.
It will be a little more difficult to perform the same operations using a handheld router.
Good mood, good health, and interesting ideas to everyone!
How to cut a board / lining across with a circular saw
First, the cutting line is marked on the board. If you don’t need high precision, you can mark with a pencil, but cut straight along the line. If it is necessary to match up to a millimeter, then the line is drawn with a knife blade, and the cutter is launched along this line.
Then the board is fixed on the trestle, pressed by the knee. The circular saw is brought to the cutting site, the distance to it is at least 10 mm. The saw is advanced to the drawn line. Aligning the teeth with a line, turn on the electric saw and bring it to the edge, smoothly leading along. Towards the end of the cut, slow down a little, then finish off the remaining distance with one smooth jerk. This avoids the chipping that sometimes occurs when cross-cutting.
How to cut across a board with a circular saw
To keep the cutting line perfectly straight, you can use guides. A large square is suitable for this. With the long side it is resting against the edge of the board, against the short side, below the edge, the saw platform is pressed. This whole structure is moved along until the line of the disk coincides with the marked line. Then the tool is turned on and the cut begins. With this method, it is easier to control the direction: you only need to press the edge of the platform against the square.
We use a guide when cutting boards. a metal square
Since there are a lot of manufacturers and models, we will give only the most popular circular electric saws. To make it clearer what kind of equipment we are talking about, we first list the main characteristics.
Circular saw Interskol DP 210 / 1900EM
Circular saw Makita 5008MG (Makita)
Replacing a saw blade on a circular saw
When the word “saw”, most people who independently carry out repair work around the house have an image of a hacksaw. And this is true, because such works once began with her. However, progress has made great strides forward, and now the best assistant in repairs is the circular electric saw. It significantly reduces labor costs and increases the speed of work. With this tool, you can cut various surfaces and materials.
But for its functioning, nozzles are vital, without which cutting is impossible. These attachments are called saw blades.
Carbide teeth are considered more reliable because they are stronger and do not require constant sharpening and patching. These scoring discs have the widest range of options and help you save time thanks to their reliability. However, a significant drawback is the large number of low-grade fakes, even of famous brands. In such a product, the soldered ends quickly fly off. After 5 minutes of cutting the cross cuts, only a few remaining blades on the disc can be seen.
But counterfeit can also be successfully combated if you pay closer attention to the correct spelling of the brand, as well as the high quality and durability of the paint with which the marking is made.
If the technical specifications are printed on stickers or the ink begins to creep when touched, you should not take such a product, it is a fake. In addition, branded wheels with carbide teeth are quite expensive, which cannot be said about handicraft (clandestine) products.
Reviews Makita 5008MG (Makita)
Good saw. Lightweight, quiet, reliable, no vibration. With her help he built and decorated the house.
Ideal for boards no thicker than 50 mm. Has been working for 2 years. Everything is fine, only the hole for the sawdust removal is clogged.
A good tool, lightweight, you can work with one hand, the assembly is good, the disc included is excellent, thin. But it burned out after a year of easy operation, that is, it is not for professional use.
How to replace a disk?
When repairing, as a rule, several types of materials are used, which require not only cutting, but also milling. And different products need different attachments.
How To Grinding Circular Saw The Simplest Way
This moment leads to the need to replace the wheel with a cutter.
- In order to perform this operation, you must first make sure that the device is disconnected from the mains. This point is critical to avoid serious injury. When replacing a circle, even an experienced craftsman can accidentally press the start button, and the health consequences will be dire. Therefore, when working with cutting electrical units, it is necessary to strictly observe all the rules of safe work.
- Next, you need to prepare a hexagon. It unscrews almost all the bolts on circular saws, both foreign and domestic. Using this key, you need to unscrew the fastening bolt of the protective plastic casing, turn the guard up and tighten it again, but you can not tighten it tight.
- Next, you need to insert the hexagon into the mounting bolt of the shaft on one side, and on the other, press the lock button of the same shaft. Then the bolt must be unscrewed, remove the washer-stopper and the disk behind it. It must be changed to a cutter and all the steps must be done again, only in the reverse order. First, a washer is placed on the nozzle, then the bolt in the center is manually screwed in and the structure is clamped with a hexagon when the shaft lock is pressed.
CRAZY circular saw disk sander
After fixing the cutter, you need to check the reliability of the fastening by small longitudinal staggering of the nozzle. If everything is securely fixed, then you can continue to work.
Thus, when choosing an attachment for a circular saw, it is necessary to start from the quality and properties of the material for cutting, as well as the technical characteristics of the saw and the saw blade itself. For low-power, mostly hand-held circular saws, you should not choose blades with too many teeth. This can lead to overheating of the engine and costly repairs.
In the next video, you will find an overview of discs. 24 and 60 teeth.
Main units, materials, tools
The algorithm for creating a circular saw with your own hands is quite simple. First, you need to determine for what purpose the circular will be used. If this is a small portable machine for working with laminate and plywood, then here it is worth thinking about a device from a hand-held circular saw, and if you have more ambitious tasks, then it is better to think about a more reliable engine and impressive dimensions of the machine.
In any case, you will have to make drawings of the device in order to calculate how and where the equipment will be installed, how the main parts will be attached, and at the same time think over what tool will be needed for work.
For a small portable circular saw from a hand saw, you can use the popular plywood or chipboard body assembly pattern. Well, if you plan to use a belt drive and a motor from a washing machine, then you will need a tool for working with metal. Welding is indispensable here.
Do-it-yourself miniature machine from an engine from a washing machine
But as for the engine from the washing machine, this is perhaps one of the best motor options for assembling a circular saw at home. Washing machine motors have a long service life and endurance. Low shaft revolutions are fully compensated by the design. in most washing machine engines there is a groove for the pulley key, and the body itself has convenient mounting holes. You can increase the number of revolutions of the saw blade by installing pulleys of different sizes on the motor and the working shaft, or take an electric motor from the centrifuge of the same washing machine. By the way, a machine with a direct drive can be made from a centrifuge motor, such a motor usually has a long shaft, and a small-diameter saw can be installed directly on it. \
But the main advantage of the washing machine engine is its power. It is designed for a long period of work, and for a circular saw this is the most important thing.
This table saw will use a belt drive. From the motor pulley, rotation will be transmitted to the drive shaft using a V-belt. The pulleys on the machine are used of the same diameter, so the rotation speed of the working shaft will be the same as that of the engine. 1450 rpm. These are the standard pulleys used in a washing machine.
The shaft of the circular is taken from the grinder. This decision is fully justified. There is no need to be smart with turning work, there is already a ready-made thread with washers of the required bore diameter. And you can adjust the diameter of the shaft with your own hands, simply by holding the shaft in a drill and processing it with a file.
The engine already has a pulley. This is a standard pulley used in a washing machine.
Elongated engine casing studs will be used as attachment points. The standard studs were replaced with longer ones with M8 threads. Brackets are made of 60×60 mm angle. Holes were drilled at the point of attachment to the engine, and a slot was made at the points of attachment to the bed to adjust the belt tension.
A simple circular from a grinder or a circular saw with your own hands
The scheme of a simple machine made from a hand-held circular saw or grinder allows you to use ready-made tools with a disc attachment and a motor. There is no need for a belt drive, which means that the number of technological operations will be less. The big advantage of this model will be that the design will use a ready-made lifting mechanism for a circular saw, this will allow you to adjust the cutting depth of the workpiece.
At the same time, this scheme has a number of disadvantages. So a circular saw blade in a tool based on a grinder will have a high rotation speed, about 7000 rpm, on the one hand, this is a great advantage, since a high speed allows you to do the job better. But on the other hand, when working with hard woods or in the event of a jammed saw, there is a high probability that the motor will simply burn out. In addition, it must be borne in mind that the grinder shaft cannot be brought closer to the working plate, the gearbox will interfere, so the cutting depth in such a tool will be small.
Another problem with this version of the circular saw is that the grinder does not have safety devices like a hand circular saw, they will have to be made separately.
But there are also positive aspects. the grinder’s gearbox housing has ready-made holes for the handles and when used as mounting holes for fastening to the machine body. In this case, it will not be necessary to alter the grinder by making changes to the design of the tool, it is enough to make brackets and fix them on the body.
You can also do with the power buttons. using electrical tape, just fix them in the on position, and connect the wire to the starter connector. An old switch with a large key can be used as the main button, this will save time when assembling the machine, increase safety. in the event of an emergency stop of the tool, the large key is easier to find.
Circular saw device
The circular saw device, like most stationary machines, consists of the following main parts:
- Bed or base;
- Motor. most often it is an asynchronous electric motor;
- Belt drive. pulleys and transfer belt;
- Circular saw working shaft;
- Security devices;
- Electrical equipment.
The entire layout of the device is based on a massive bed or base. It can be a one-piece piece cast from cast iron aluminum, or have the form of a frame. a body assembled from scraps of pipes or corners. A home-made machine, it is preferable to make from cuttings of profile pipes, for example, you can use square profile pipes 25×25 mm or a rectangular profile 20×40 or 25×50.
The spindle for mounting the circular saw blade is used as a thread on the shaft. In this case, the saw is clamped with a nut. The spindle assembly can be made in a different way, as with a hand-held circular saw. drill a hole in the shaft, cut the internal thread and clamp the disc with a bolt. But as practice shows, the first option is better. the circular saw is clamped more reliably, and the thickness of the blade can be selected differently.
When using a belt drive, the electric motor and the working shaft are connected by a V-belt. The rotary motion from the motor shaft is transmitted through the pulley to the working shaft pulley. It is recommended to design a circular sawing machine according to this scheme, this will increase the resource of the motor and eliminate the possibility of jamming. If the circular disc gets stuck and it stops and the belt just stretches and the engine continues to run.
The working table is necessary so that the workpiece is in the same plane during operation. The circular table is made as wide as possible, so that you can safely rest the part on its plane.
Can a Circular Saw Double as a Disc Sander?
In order for the woodworking circular saw to be safe, devices must be installed to ensure the safety of work. This can be a protective cover, a pusher for working with small parts, a parallel stop.
One of the options to assemble a simple budget machine for homework is the option of converting a manual circular into a stationary one, adding a bed and a wide working surface to the actually finished device.
The assembly of the circular saw begins with the installation of the motor on the frame.
After installing the engine, put on the belt.
After tensioning the belt and setting the position of the engine, it is fixed with nuts.
To protect the motor from sawdust, protective screens are installed on the housing.
The circular saw is installed and clamped on the working shaft.
For the convenience of switching on, a switch is installed. The last step is to install the circular desktop.
As a test, various materials were cut: boards made of wood chips, a piece of chipboard, boards with a thickness of 30 mm.
As you can see, the result is impressive.
DIY circular saw repair
When starting to repair the unit with your own hands, it is not necessary to disassemble it completely to find out the reasons for the breakdown. Some malfunctions are characterized by specific symptoms by which you can determine the problem and purposefully disassemble one or another part of the device.
Engine is warming up
The machine may become extremely hot, for example, when used intensively, when sawing hard wood or when using a saw blade with a large number of teeth, when the load on the engine increases significantly. Also cause overheating of the motor, malfunctions associated with the stator and armature windings, which are eliminated only in the service center.
Brushes are burning
Strong sparking from under the brushes is caused by excessive wear when the spring can no longer press the electrodes against the collector with the required force. To replace the brushes, you need to disconnect the motor cover or remove them through special holes in the motor housing (depending on the model of the electric saw).
The saw does not start
If, when pressing the start button, the engine of the unit is “silent”, then the first thing to focus on is the power cable, provided that there is electricity in the outlet (plug the device into another outlet to check).
To check the electrical cable, you need to disconnect the handle. This will help you get to the pins where the power cord wires are soldered. Next, use a tester to ring each wire by pressing one probe to the soldered contact, and the second to the pin of the plug.
If the network cable is intact, then in search of a malfunction, do the following.
- Test the entire circuit with a tester, starting from the cable entry into the unit to the start button. You should also check the contacts of the button at its input and output when the key is pressed. In the normal state, an open circuit should be closed. Ring all the wires after the button, going to the motor brushes.
- If everything is in order with the conductors, check how much the brush electrodes are worn out. After the electrode is worn out by 2/3 of its original size, it should be replaced. Brushes, no matter how worn out each of them, change in pairs.
- If the brushes are in good condition, then, most likely, the engine is out of order. An open circuit or an interturn short circuit could occur in its windings. In this case, it is better to entrust the engine repair to specialists who will rewind the stator or armature coils.
Main malfunctions and their symptoms
Typical malfunctions of hand-held circulars include the following situations.
- The saw does not start. The mains cable, power plug, start button or electric brushes may be defective.
- The engine of the instrument is very hot. Such symptoms may be the result of a turn-to-turn short circuit (breakage) in the armature or stator coils, as well as an excessively intensive unit operation.
- The gearbox of the device is overheating. Overheating of this unit may occur due to bearing failure or lack of lubrication on the gears.
- The brushes sparkle. This is usually due to excessive wear and tear.
- A burning ring is visible around the engine manifold. If, during operation of the unit, a circular spark is observed around the engine manifold, then its appearance can cause a malfunction of the armature winding or clogging of the space between the lamellas of the collector with graphite dust.
- The unit does not develop the required power. The drop in power may be due to a voltage drop in the network, malfunction of the motor windings, wear of the electric brushes, malfunction of the start button.
- During the operation of the unit, rattling and other extraneous sounds are heard. These symptoms can be caused by broken gear teeth or bearing malfunction.
- The engine is humming but the unit is not running. A jam may have occurred in the gearbox.
Almost all malfunctions of electric circular saws cannot be eliminated without disassembling the device partially or completely. Complete disassembly of an electric hand saw using the example of the Interskol unit is performed in the following order.
- Unscrew the angle and depth adjusting screws attached to the foot of the machine.
- Press the gearbox shaft stop button and use the hex wrench to unscrew the bolt holding the saw blade.
- Pulling the lower guard to the side, remove the circular disc.
- To remove the support sole, first unscrew the fasteners on its underside.
- Next, using two screwdrivers, remove the Sieger ring, which locks the rod on which the sole turns, to change the angle.
Insert a screwdriver into the gap between the body of the shield and the sole, then push it aside and remove.
Next, disconnect the unit’s gearbox by unscrewing 2 screws.
Removing one half of the handle, you will see the soft starter module and the start button.
This concludes the complete disassembly of the circular saw.
The gear housing is very hot
Rapid heating of the gearbox occurs if the shaft bearing has become unusable, on which the gear is fixed and the equipment is attached. In this case, in addition to heating, you can replace the appearance of extraneous noise in this unit of the device. It is necessary to disassemble the gearbox and change the bearing. Also, the gearbox will warm up if there is not enough lubricant in it or it is completely absent.
How to remove a blade from a circular saw?
To properly remove the canvas, you need to adhere to the following sequence:
- For your own safety, be sure to disconnect the power cord from the mains or remove the battery
- For a more convenient replacement, it is required to install the tool on a flat, hard surface
- To start unscrewing the bolt, you must press the locking spindle, which blocks the rotation of the disc when unscrewing
- Unscrew the bolt using the special wrench included in the kit
- Pull out the bolt and remove the thrust washer holding the saw blade
- Move the lower guide arm to raise the guard
- Remove the saw circle
How to change a circular saw blade?
The new canvas must be installed in the following sequence:
- Clean the pulley and protection from accumulated dirt, sawdust.
- Check the correct direction of the saw teeth in accordance with the arrow on the guard.
- Put the blade on the pulley and lower the lower protective shield.
- Install the retaining washer and tighten the bolt. Tighten it again with the recessed locking spindle.
Removing and replacing the disc on a circular saw
Due to the competition in the market, the choice of electrical tools is constantly increasing, and are becoming more affordable. Now women are happy to give them to men on February 23rd, or relatives and friends for their birthday. Almost every second household man has his own circular circular saw.
Over time, the circles fail (dull or break), they must be replaced depending on the material with which you need to work. For example, you cannot cut wood with a metal cutting blade. Therefore, the ability to correctly and quickly remove the disc, put a new one is necessary for everyone.
Washer for circular saw?
A flange or washer holds the disc securely in place. On various saw models, both a flange separate from the bolt and soldered to it are used.
The main function of the hold-down washer is to evenly press the saw blade against the pulley. A correctly installed washer must sit symmetrically on the circle.
The main and main rule when replacing a blade on a circular saw is to completely disconnect the tool from the power supply. To avoid accidentally injuring yourself with the saw teeth, it is best to wear gloves.