Trimmer, or lawn mowing. a tool that can not be done in the household. At the same time, its reliability, efficiency and long service life depend on many factors. For example, the quality of fuel. This means that you need to choose the right oil for the trimmer, observe the proportions when adding to gasoline and the rules for refueling the device.
Which oil to choose
For the effective operation of the trimmer, it is necessary to select oil for two-stroke engines. This is due to the lack of an oil sump in such a device. The following classification is distinguished depending on the chemical composition of the oil:
- mineral. based on petroleum distillate, suitable for low-power equipment and with an air type of cooling, but requires frequent replacement and can only be used in good weather in the warm season;
- semi-synthetic. suitable for garden equipment with air and liquid type of cooling;
- synthetic. based on esters, do not require frequent replacement and can be used at any time of the year.
Oil for 2-stroke engines is characterized by good solubility and feature of complete combustion. For the trimmer, it is recommended to use a lubricant that is suitable for devices with an air cooling system. Most often on the package it is indicated that the oil is intended for gardening equipment and is marked TA, TV or TS. over, the last of them is most preferable.
If the consumption of engine oil during the summer season is planned to be large due to the presence in the garden arsenal of a chainsaw, brush cutter, lawn mower, it is advisable to buy 5 liters of oil at a better price. If it is necessary only to mix with gasoline and fill a single tool, then 1 liter will be enough.
Often, manufacturers of lawn mowers produce the right oil, so you can make your choice easier if you select the appropriate brand fluid.
What kind of gasoline to fill
Gasoline for the trimmer must be selected unleaded with a stroke number of 92 or 95. As practice shows, AI-80 gasoline can lead to damage to the device, which is a dubious saving.
The fuel must be fresh, that is, after purchase it can be stored for no more than 60 days.
Other factors affect the quality of the fuel, for example, the use of a special lubricant for lawn mowing and diluting it in a separate container. It is also recommended to use special canisters designed to store gasoline.
How to dilute gasoline with trimmer oil
It is necessary to breed gasoline for the trimmer in the correct proportion. An insufficient amount of oil can lead to poor lubrication of the lawn mowing elements, which contributes to rapid wear. In the event that the oil is more than expected, soot forms on the pistons and spark plugs. Carbon deposits on moving parts of the engine interfere with normal operation and lead to a speedy engine breakdown.
What proportion is required for a particular trimmer model can be found in the attached instructions. Most often, for 2-stroke gasoline engines of lawn mowers, the fuel mixture is used in a ratio of 50: 1, where 50 is part of the gasoline, 1 is part of the oil. That is, 20 ml of oil should be added to 1 liter of gasoline. The table will help you choose the right ratio.
To measure proportions correctly, use measuring tanks with a milliliter scale. For these purposes, a special canister with a double neck is perfect, it is designed for mixing and storage of oil gasoline. For example, oil can be filled with a medical syringe without a needle. Before mixing liquids, make sure that the tank for the finished fuel mixture is free of water, dust and particles of dirt.
Diluting gasoline with lubricant directly in the fuel tank is unacceptable; moreover, the proportion of oil and gasoline must be strictly observed. If you ignore this rule, then the operation of the trimmer motor may be unstable, because of which it will quickly fail.
It is not recommended to use plastic bottles or canisters for this purpose. This is due to the fact that gasoline has the ability to dissolve plastic, which means that part of the plastic can get into the fuel tank, which can lead to damage to the carburetor. Although there are special plastic canisters marked “flame”.
This will require:
- oil suitable for two-stroke engines with an air cooling system;
- canister, better metal;
- mixing tank, also better metal;
In addition to protective equipment, do not forget about the fire safety rules, because gasoline and engine oil are highly flammable:
- it is better to carry out work on the street in order to avoid the accumulation of gasoline vapors in the room;
- Do not smoke and create situations associated with the occurrence of a spark.
A mixture of gasoline and oil should be made as follows:
- Pour 1 liter of gasoline into the container, add half the right portion of oil. Mix thoroughly, do this extremely carefully away from sources of open flame.
- Add the remaining oil to the trimmer gasoline and mix thoroughly again. Now the fuel can be poured into the trimmer’s fuel tank.
The mixture can be stored for no more than three months, so it is better to dilute gas in such quantity that it is enough for several uses.
How and how much to refuel
Refilling the trimmer fuel tank is easy. To do this, place the tank so that the lid is placed on top. The amount of fuel depends on the trimmer model. This information is indicated in the instructions, there is also a mark on the tank directly.
This can cause the fuel to spill over into the inlet pipe and fuel filter, which can cause engine damage or ignition of the fuel.
When refueling the trimmer, the following safety precautions must be observed:
- try to fill the liquid so that it does not spill, you can use a watering can for this;
- if the gasoline spills, then immediately wipe it off;
- Trimmer start should be started after the fuel tank is removed in a safe and secure place, preferably at a distance of more than 10 meters;
- with a long break between operations, drain the remaining fuel.
The correct proportion and adherence to mixing and dressing technology will help extend the life of the trimmer. In this case, it is recommended to choose only a quality product of the corresponding brand.
- Selection tips
- How to use?
Video: Trimmer Bright520 Oil Under Muffler Fault
Gas trimmers are some of the most popular grass mowing devices. They are easy to use, mobile, allow a person not to depend on the outlet and show excellent results in places of their use. But for the stable operation of the gas trimmer, quality supplies are needed. In particular, we are talking about gasoline and oil. It is about the last component that we will discuss in this article.
Engine oil is a special mixture consisting of a solvent and additives that reduce friction. They form a certain viscosity and do not allow the composition to thicken when the temperature is lowered. Usually, oils are specially painted in various colors: green, red or blue. This allows them not to be confused.
Keep in mind that they may vary in composition, so oil for gas trimmers will be labeled “for gardening equipment”. In addition, it may still differ in labeling: “2T” or “4T”. The first is a two-stroke oil that is poured into the corresponding engine. And the second is intended for pouring into the crankcase.
High-quality oil that can be poured into a gas trimmer must meet a number of requirements and standards to ensure reliable operation of the device and its performance. Oil should:
- to provide increased wear resistance for various elements (in particular, the gearbox is particularly susceptible to this);
- ensure the lowest possible smoke and exhaust gases;
- Prevent premature ignition
- mix well with gasoline when exposed to low temperatures;
- have good viscosity and fluidity in various temperature ranges;
- be as safe as possible in terms of environmental impact.
As already mentioned, two-stroke engine oil will differ from four-stroke formulations. It has higher power, which is why fuel for it is obtained by mixing a certain amount of gasoline and oil. For each lawn mowing ratio will be different. You can find out its value in the instructions for the device. These proportions must be observed with maximum accuracy. When adding additives, the type of motor must be considered.
If mineral oils are used, mixing should occur somewhere in the ratio of 1: 25, 30 or 35, depending on the type. If we are talking about a synthetic analogue, then the proportion will be 1: 50 or to 80. That is, a certain amount of oil dissolves in the volume of gasoline.
The oil that is poured into the motor may vary in the method of preparation. According to this criterion, it happens:
- mineral. this type is obtained during the processing of petroleum products;
- synthetic. it is obtained during the processing or synthesis of gas;
- semi-synthetic. this type has more advanced characteristics due to the introduction of synthetic-based components into it.
Lawn-mowing oil refers to formulations intended for use in air-cooled engines that have a combustion chamber volume of 50-200 cubic centimeters. In addition, any two-stroke oil can differ from analogues in additives, which give it certain additional characteristics. They are of the following types.
- Antiwear. The main objective of the oil will be to reduce the wear of parts during operation of the device.
- Antioxidant. They do not allow oxidation to occur and make it possible to maintain the performance of the oil for a long time.
- Corrosion resistant. Their task is to prevent corrosion from forming on engine parts.
- Friction modifiers. These additives can significantly reduce the coefficient of friction.
Recently, when purchasing oil for dilution with gasoline, users very often encounter the fact that special letter abbreviations are applied to canisters. These designations are performed as part of the API classification. Consider what types of oils exist in accordance with it.
- TA applies to air-cooled lawn mowers, the engine capacity of which is not more than 50 cubic centimeters. It can be used not only for mowers, but also for mopeds, lawn mowers and other types of equipment. For a gas trimmer, this is the optimal solution.
- TB is used to refuel a chainsaw, scooter, moped or motorcycle, the engine capacity of which does not exceed 200 cubic centimeters. It can also be used for refueling gas trimmers.
- TC suitable for dilution with gasoline and pouring into a snowmobile, motorcycle and other types of equipment.
- TD is for refueling boats, yachts and hoverboards.
But in addition to this classification, other FA-FD type letters are often found. It should be said that the API is an American standard that is applied in Europe. But there is a mismatch between European smoke emission standards and American. For this reason, additional lettering should also be taken into account.
- FA can be used in countries where the law provides for minimal exhaust emissions. When using oil with this marking, faint smoke may be produced.
- FB. can be used in countries where smoke and gas restrictions are much stricter. In this case, smoke will hardly be emitted.
- FC. here appears smoke of a transparent color, which the human eye cannot notice.
- FD. a special category of oils for 2-stroke engines, they do not create smoke at all. They have enhanced chemical properties. Typically, this oil is used for mixing with gasoline and subsequent refueling of boats and yachts.
In addition, oils come in two more categories:
In the first case, this will mean that it is necessary to carry out independent mixing, which does not require shaking, and in the second case, you will need to do it.
Now let’s try to understand how to choose high-quality oil for a trimmer that runs on gasoline. The main feature that you need to pay attention to is the alkaline number. This moment excludes the oxidation of parts in which friction is observed, and decelerates their deformation as much as possible. The more this compound is used, the faster it loses alkalinity and becomes more oxidized. The optimal indicator of acidity (PH) is a value of not less than 8-9 units.
The second important factor, which also has a major impact on the operation of the gas trimmer, is the viscosity of the oil. This characteristic determines the possibility of using the device at various temperatures. Summer brands of oils begin to thicken already with a minimum decrease in temperature.
The third point, the importance of which should not be minimized, is the flash point. This indicator should not be less than 225 degrees. Otherwise, the composition will burn out very quickly and the load on the piston group will begin to increase, which will cause its accelerated wear. In addition, oil for a 4-stroke engine is not suitable for a 2-stroke. Namely, the latter type of motors is used in the vast majority of lawn mowers.
If we talk about manufacturers, then you can make a small rating, which will allow you to navigate in the compositions offered by various manufacturers. For instance, stihl company It offers high-quality synthetic and mineral oils that have already established themselves as an excellent solution at any time of the year.
Considered very good Shell Helix Ultra Oil. Experts note its high characteristics and excellent alkalinity and viscosity. In addition, products of brands such as Oleo-Mac, Motul, Hammerflex, Echo. If we talk about products of domestic brands, then you should pay attention to Lukoil oil. Its price is several times lower than its foreign counterparts, but at the same time it has high quality and good technical characteristics.
How to use?
Information on the proportions of oil use was given above. We must say right away that you should not deviate from the indicated values and dilute gasoline by eye. In the best case, you just need to change the oil, and in the worst you can’t avoid a motor breakdown.
It is important to be able to cook the mixture correctly. It is impossible to fill it in a gas tank. It is better to pour oil in a special container that already contains gasoline. A plastic mineral bottle is perfect for this. It is very important that it is clean, which is why beer or milk bottles will not work. And it is better that it be a liter or two-liter, since it will be difficult for many to calculate how much oil to fill in a 1.5-liter or 1.25-liter bottle. You will also need to have a syringe on hand, which will serve as a dosimeter. It is best to take a regular medical for 10 or more cubes.
Now step by step explain how to make good oil for a gas trimmer.
- First you need to know exactly what type of oil is required for a particular model of the braid, and also find out the exact ratio of gasoline and oil to create a mixture.
- Then you need to fill the container. The tank should not be filled with gasoline to the end, because the oil should also fit there;
- Now we collect the necessary amount of 2-stroke oil into the syringe and pour it into a bottle with gasoline. You can’t do the opposite, otherwise you will need to replace all the ingredients, and the mixture will need to be done again.
- Close the bottle with a lid and stir. It is important not to forget that stirring the mixture is necessary if there are Premix words on the oil bottle. If Selfmix is written there, then after mixing the substances everything is poured into the tank.
Now it remains only to refuel the gas trimmer, and you can carry out the necessary work.
See how to choose oil for gas trimmers in the next video.