Sharpen the lawn mower blade Sharpen the lawn mower blade. Village Forum. For those who are from the village and not only :). Nizhny Novgorod forums
Measuring the degree of sharpening of a circular saw
In most cases, circular saws with victorious soldering are rarely used, but for significant amounts of material and for a long time. Therefore, it is quite normal that the incisors begin to grind over time. This product should be sharpened as needed. Determining the degree of sharpening is quite simple:
- When sawing the material, irregularities, notches, chips begin to appear, and when cutting wooden objects, a characteristic smell and black marks on the material;
- The work on the machine becomes more difficult as more effort is required, resulting in a heavy load on the motor.
Important! Failure to observe the sharpness of the disc cutters can lead to the fact that the product can no longer be sharpened or repaired at all. Therefore, it is worth carefully monitoring the condition of the instrument.
It should be noted that, as a rule, these machines are provided with protective relays. But if there are none, the device can fail faster if sharpened incorrectly or at the wrong time.
Tooth material and shape
Saw blades are steel blades with tips that are high temperature welded cutters.
As a rule, these parts of the tool are made of sintered tungsten-cobalt alloy (grades VK, VK6, VK15, etc.). Carbide alloys are also used. But it should be borne in mind that the strength depends on the grain size of the carbide phase.
The very same soldering (tooth) has the following planes:
- Two side (auxiliary).
That is, crossing, they form two cutting edges:
How to sharpen a victorious saw blade?
In order to sharpen a saw blade with victorious solders, it is necessary to take into account some of the features of this product and select the tool as carefully as possible.
Lawn mower disc features
Knife discs are produced in plastic and metal, as well as in various shapes to perform various tasks.
- Two-, three- and four-bladed knives with pronounced blades are used for mowing grass and tree growth. However, they are not suitable for making hay, as they grind the shoots by chopping them several times.
- Massive four-blade discs are designed not only for clearing the ground from grass, but also for mowing hay. They prevent the shoots from being cut over and over again, making them suitable for winter harvesting.
- Discs with cutting edges around the perimeter are relevant for beveling reeds and reeds. These knives are very heavy, a necessary quality to cut through thick stems.
- Professional hedge trimmers and lawn mowers with sawtooth saw blades for cutting small trees and bushes.
Plastic knives are used as an alternative to metal discs. They do not need to be firmly fixed in the head, but they rotate as a result of the action of centrifugal force. The strength of plastic knives is high, so the service life is quite long.
When is the use of knives relevant?
When using lawn mowers in summer cottages, the most popular attachment is the fishing line. It has a low price, is suitable for different trim heads, and is safe to use. The disadvantage of using a fishing line is that it is convenient only for mowing low growth. In other situations, the string will kick in immediately, regardless of whether a petrol or electric trimmer is used. In addition, vegetation is wound around the spindle, which creates significant resistance on the shaft and leads to its breakage. It can also cause piston system failure in lawn mowers or engine burnout in trimmers.
Therefore, for mowing tall or hard vegetation, various attachments are used. So, for harvesting high and coarse grass, thin shoots of trees and shrubs, it is better to install and use a disc. This nozzle clogs much less often, which contributes to the greater wear resistance of the equipment.
Regardless of the quality of the disc, over time it dulls and begins to chop grass poorly. If the knives are still relatively new and replacement is impractical, you can sharpen them yourself.
To sharpen discs, you must:
- Disassemble the trimmer, remove the knives;
- Carefully inspect the disc if cracks are found, it is better to replace the part with a new one, since its further operation is unsafe;
- Bent blades can be gently bent with a hammer;
- Given the size of the disc, you need to choose the right file for metal, this will provide more convenient work;
- Sharpen all upper cutting edges of the discs at an angle of 30;
- Reassemble the trimmer in the reverse order.
To sharpen the disc, you can use a sanding machine at low speeds, installing a grinding wheel with a medium grit. With such a tool, the process will move much faster. For safety, you need to wear gloves on your hands, and a protective mask or goggles on your face.
So, for mowing grass on gasoline and trimmers, plastic and metal discs of various shapes and with a different set of blades are used. They are selected in accordance with the type of work performed and the size of the cultivated area. If the blades on the mower are dull, it is easy to sharpen them or change them yourself. Despite the simplicity of the procedure, you need to be careful and remember about safety so as not to injure yourself through negligence or damage the equipment. A more detailed description of replacing the knives in relation to a particular trimmer model can be found in the operating instructions or on the manufacturer’s official website. For clarity, the general scheme of the process is shown in.