Which trimmer line is better?
To answer this common question, you need to consider the main operating parameters of the cutting cord one by one.
- thickness. the larger the diameter of the line, the higher its efficiency when working with thick weeds;
- section. cords with twisted and round sections have proven themselves the best. Another popular option is the “star”. Cords with a cross section of this type successfully cope with tall dense grass and young shrubs;
- manufacturer. cutting cords of the Husqvarna and Stihl brands stand out for their high quality, strength and durability. Their only drawback is the high price. In such cases, you can choose inexpensive cords from the Sturm, Forte or Intertool brands.
When choosing a fishing line, it is desirable that the gardener has the opportunity to check the cord with his own hands. It is important to stretch the cutting line and try to break it. If the line does not lend itself, then it will be able to withstand a fairly high load.
How to insert line into the trimmer?
There are 2 common ways of winding the cutting line around the trimmer reel, depending on the type of mowing head. To choose the right method, you need to study the design features of the spool. this will help you understand how to quickly and easily insert the cutting line into the trimmer spool.
What does the thickness of the cord affect??
The diameter of the fishing line determines its effectiveness when mowing various types of wild vegetation.
Today on the market you can find cords of the following thickness:
- 1.6 mm. fishing line for cutting young soft grass;
- 2 mm. a cord with this thickness is used mainly for mowing young wild vegetation and small weeds;
- 2.4 mm. This line is designed for removing young weeds and mowing large volumes of overripe wild vegetation;
- 2.7 mm. this type of cord is used for effective control of large weeds;
- 3 mm. line with this thickness effectively copes with the removal of small shrubs and thick old weeds;
- 3.3 mm. this cutting line is suitable for removing thin shoots from young wild trees;
- 4 mm. the large thickness of this line allows it to cut large ligneous weeds and thick shoots of wild trees.
It is important to remember that the larger the diameter of the cutting line, the higher its noise during operation. In addition, thick lines should only be used on trimmers with high engine power. For example, only mowing heads with a cord thickness of less than 2 mm can be used on electric line and knife trimmers. Otherwise, the garden tool engine will overheat quickly.
Types and features of trimmer lines
The effectiveness of the trimmer in the house and garden area largely depends on the quality and strength of the cutting line installed on it. There are different types of cords on the market. Having studied their features, it will be easier for the gardener to choose exactly the cord that is suitable for specific operating conditions.
By the type of factory section, cutting cords are divided into the following types:
- round. this type of line is most often used by professionals on powerful petrol cutters. These cords are considered to be universal, as they are equally effective in dealing with both freshly grown grass and small woody weeds. Another advantage is the tight, uniform laying of the line with a round cross-section. During operation, it is quickly fed out of the mowing head, without jamming or jumping out in too much;
- square. used mainly for mowing old overripe grass with a small amount of hard weeds. In the manufacture of this line, edges are formed that effectively cope with the removal of thin young shoots of wild bushes and trees. Thanks to this, square fishing line can be actively used for caring for remote areas where it is not possible to regularly mow the grown grass;
- twisted. the second name of these cutting cords. silent. Their main advantage is the low sound pressure applied to the operator. They effectively cut woody weeds and thick overripe grass.
Reinforced cord is used by gardeners to remove particularly large weeds and cut thick young shoots of wild trees. It stands out for its high strength and tear resistance. The main disadvantage of this type of fishing line is a significant noise level, as well as the required high power of the brushcutter engine. In this regard, a low-power electric scythe with a fishing line and a knife cannot be equipped with a thick reinforced cord.
How to wind the line on the trimmer spool. the first way
For heads of the first type, the dividing edge between the upper and lower compartments has a recess and does not close into a ring.
The fishing line is wound on such reels in the following order:
- First you need to cut a 6-meter piece of cord from the common turn. The resulting segment must be bent in half. As a result, one side of the line should be 15 cm longer than the second;
- Further, the cord, in the place of its bend, will need to be inserted into the recess provided on the edge between the upper and lower compartment of the coil. As a result, one part of the cord should be in the upper, and the second. in the lower compartment of the head;
- Then you need to start winding the cord onto the trimmer. This should be done exclusively in the direction shown by the arrow on the reel. In this case, the cutting line should not be intertwined, and its lower and upper parts should be wound into the corresponding sections of the spool. After that, 15 cm of free cord should remain in each compartment;
- In the upper compartment of the reel there are recesses for fixing the fishing line. The ends of the cord must be inserted into these recesses. as a result, they must be located opposite each other;
- The operator must then assemble the mowing head and place it on the trimmer.
Before using the brushcutter, the operator must pull out the free ends of the cutting line so that they are taut. This ensures that the line feeds evenly from the spool when mowing grass, without delaying the operator.
How to thread the line into the trimmer spool. the second method
For coils of the second type, the dividing edge is one-piece. On both sides of it there are through recesses, which are designed for winding new fishing line.
To install a cord on such a head, the operator must act in the following order;
- The previously prepared 6-meter piece of cord must be bent exactly in half and cut. After that, the operator should get 2 identical pieces of fishing line;
- Then, at the end of each of the pieces, you need to make a small hook;
- Next, the hook of one of the trimmer line segment will need to be inserted into the hole located at the top of the head;
- After that, you can start winding the cord. This is done strictly in the order indicated by the arrow on the spool. The cord used should wind evenly at the top of the spool. As a result, about 15 cm of the cord should remain free;
- The remaining end of the line will need to be fixed in the recess in the upper part of the spool;
- In the same way, wind the second piece of cord around the bottom of the trimmer cutter head.
This method is suitable for all types of cords, including homemade line from a plastic bottle.
Twisted square and pentagon
Such a fishing line is more expensive than the previously considered options, but the performance of the trimmer when using it increases significantly. The most effective when cutting grass is shown by a line in the shape of a star. a pentagon.
Mowing grass with a pentagonal line is much faster, but there is one small peculiarity: such line deteriorates faster when it touches stones. It is recommended to mow with a trimmer with such a line only on a flat area, without a large number of stones, stumps, solid objects.
Types of trimmer line
Did you know that in addition to the diameter, the trimmer line differs in shape and other characteristics? A lot of research has already been carried out and it was found out which line is better to mow the grass.
Therefore, do not rush to buy a round trimmer line, and the one recommended by your tool manufacturer. Money down the drain, this is at best, since the consumption of such a line, and the efficiency of mowing the grass, will be much lower.
Do not forget that the quality of vegetation mowing depends not so much on the power of the trimmer as on the line. What is the best trimmer line to buy? Here’s what you can learn from the article.
Trimmer line shape
There are only two trimmer attachments. a line and a knife. We will not consider the cutters, but let’s talk about the trimmer line.
Solid round fishing line is the most common, but ineffective. Even if you put a larger diameter fishing line on the trimmer, the round one will still lose as a cut. Such a fishing line does not cope well with thick weeds, and its consumption is much higher than that of a round twisted or triangular.
In simple words, if you need to mow small grass on the lawn, then you can safely choose a round fishing line with a diameter of 1.6 to 2 mm. For other cases, when the area is heavily overgrown with weeds, it is better to give preference to another trimmer line.
Round twisted line or as it is also called “twisted rope” shows much more efficiency. This line is more durable, it makes less noise when mowing grass. In addition, she is not so afraid of stones and solid objects in the grass. Twisted round line should be chosen for cutting dry and thick grass in the area.
But the most effective of its kind is considered to be a triangular fishing line. Unlike the other, the “triangle fishing line” has three sharp edges at once, which perfectly cut almost any vegetation. If you have to mow the grass regularly, then a triangular trimmer line is just what you need.
Trimmer line diameter and performance
So, we figured out the shape of the trimmer line, it remains to talk about the size, or rather the diameter. The smallest trimmer line is 1.3mm. Agree, mowing burdocks with such a fishing line will not work, you need something more powerful. The largest diameter of the trimmer line is 4 mm. However, it is possible to install such a fishing line not in any reel, the holes will not allow.
So which trim line diameter should you choose? Everything is very simple here, and the manufacturer indicates the diameter of the fishing line in the passport for each trimmer. So, to increase the performance of your trimmer, put the line several diameters larger.
Thus, it will be possible to increase the efficiency of motor vehicles. At the same time, do not forget about safety measures, since a trimmer with a larger diameter line mows well, but its shaft, as a result, begins to vibrate strongly. So you need to be as careful as possible when mowing grass.
Trim cords are most often made from nylon, but many manufacturers are deviating from this standard in pursuit of increased strength or cutting power.
How do manufacturers combine materials? Some cords are made from reinforced nylon composites for extra strength and tear resistance. A reinforcing material is often added to nylon, such as aluminum.
The choice of diameter follows a simple logic: the thicker and thicker the vegetation, the larger the cord diameter should be. In addition to increased cutting power, with an increase in diameter, the cord will acquire additional survivability in the fight against thick grass, weeds, dead wood.
|For the average. easy work||Mowing the grass||1.5. 2 mm|
|For the average. hard work||Mowing grass and small weeds||from 2 to 3 mm|
|For hard work||Mowing grass, small and large weeds||≥ 3 mm|
Choosing a cord for the trimmer
The correct choice of a cord directly depends on the performance characteristics of your trimmer, since the power of the brushcutter directly affects the diameter of the cord section, and a correctly selected cord profile will help you to better cope with the task.
Naturally, as the area of the site and the density of vegetation on it increases, you will need a more powerful brushcutter and a harder, stronger, thicker and “sharpened” line. Next, we will look at the main properties that affect the cutting force and durability of the trimmer line.
Application of some types of cords
Another type of line that has become widespread in recent years, as it has shown high performance when working with a trimmer. The sharp edges improve the aerodynamics and the quality of the mow. This line is suitable for regular use throughout the entire period of lawn growth, but remember that this line is erased and torn faster than usual
This line adds power to the instrument by increasing aerodynamics. In addition, this line produces the lowest noise level of all types. It is good for electric trimmers for cutting thin grass. It is not advisable to use it for a benzotrimmer, since the line consumption is too high. Disadvantage. low strength
Its purpose is high-quality mowing of dead wood. It is distinguished by its round cross-section, tear resistance and increased strength. It comes with a core made from a different material. The idea is simple enough. a flexible outer layer is located on a tough and very strong core. The twisted line is only suitable for petrol trimmers. She is able to cope even with small shrubs. Its main drawback is its high cost. For daily work, it is quite expensive to acquire a twisted line.
ALUMINUM, SECTION CIRCLE
Since there is a core made of a denser material inside, the line is more wear-resistant. The line itself is round, so it is perfect for any type of trimmer. The only nuance will be the power of your tool. such a line requires high power (at least 1.5 hp). It will do an excellent job with both shrubs and dry grass.
How and which line to choose for a trimmer
People who work in the country may need a trimmer, however, not everyone knows what it is, how to choose a line for a trimmer, and what it is for. A trimmer is a device that allows you to carefully cut grass near trees, fences, paths. The operation of the device depends on the type of equipment, which is often used as a cutting line. It affects not only the external condition of the lawn, but also the performance of the trimmer. The main requirements are that it must bend, have strength and rigidity.
- The main parameters of the trimmer line
- Thread thickness
- Sectional shape
- Line composition
- Line selection for the brushcutter
- What nuances should be observed when working
You can find out about it by reading the performance of the trimmer or by referring to the dimensions and inscriptions on the universal bobbin. Typically, for trimmers, threads with a diameter of 1.2-4 mm are used. True, for each device you will have to select a line of a certain diameter.
A trimmer thread, thinner than the required one, will not immediately damage the engine, although it will significantly increase its wear. If you use a thread that is thicker than necessary, the resistance to rotation will increase, the motor will work harder, overheat and, as a result, break. True, a lot depends on the engine itself.
You can also find out the approximate diameter of the fishing line for the device by the type of engine. If the trimmer is powered by electricity or a battery and its power is 1 kW, you will need a cutting thread with a diameter of 2 mm, and if its power is less than 500 W, use a line of no more than 1.6 mm.
For a gasoline trimmer, the line is chosen with a certain diameter. 2.4. 3 mm. The choice of such a thick fishing line is associated with the peculiarities of gasoline units. they are more powerful and more efficient than their electric counterparts. Thick line can be used for a long time, in addition, it can easily overcome long-term dead wood.
The main parameters of the trimmer line
Fishing lines can be classified according to the following parameters:
- Thread thickness;
- Sectional shape;
- Line composition.
The most often chosen line for electric scythes with a round cross-section. It is inexpensive and the most popular, it mows fresh grass well. Its main drawback is the noise level that is heard when the trimmer is in operation. Line noise is similar in intensity to engine hum. For the best noise reduction, manufacturers suggest using a spiral-shaped line.
Today they also produce square trimmer line. Of other forms, rectangular and star-shaped are quite often found. Lines with jagged edges and sharp edges are especially productive. These edges cut the grass more evenly.
There are also lines with notches and dents. They can mow large weeds. The noise level emitted by such a line is low, and due to the increased properties of aerodynamics, the trimmer is given additional power. Such a cutting element is installed on powerful trimmers, with which it is planned to carry out work on overgrown, neglected areas.
To work with this type of fishing line, special heads are installed on the brushcutter. The fishing line is wound on them. It handles all kinds of grasses (especially weeds) and shrubs. But its cost is quite high. Also, the consumption of such a line is high, since when it is fed from the reel, it can be difficult to remove it. It is usually used with discs, into which it is inserted in small sections.
There is also a two-piece twisted trimmer line. Its purpose is high-quality mowing of dead wood. It is distinguished by its round cross-section, tear resistance and increased strength. It comes with a core made from a different material. The twisted line is only suitable for petrol trimmers. She is able to cope even with small shrubs. Its main drawback is its high cost. For daily work, it is quite expensive to acquire a twisted line.
It is the composition that determines the service life of the line. It is often made from nylon. It wears out slowly and improves performance efficiency at high temperatures and heavy loads. The material retains its working properties for a long time, low temperatures do not affect it, as well as prolonged work.
best string trimmer line 2021
Coaxial trimmer line is considered one of the strongest. It has a dense core, and therefore wears out gradually. Such a line is difficult to cut with a knife and creates little noise during operation. Also now there is a fishing line, which includes inclusions of aluminum.
Line selection for the brushcutter
What line to choose for a trimmer is thought by each of its owners. It should be chosen based on the following parameters:
- The diameter of the trimmer line must be suitable for the engine power. In terms of parameters, it should be combined with the trimmer option.
- The type of line should be chosen based on the type of vegetation to be cut. If you plan to mow the lawn, a thin line is suitable, for the destruction of perennial weeds. a thicker one.
to the content
What nuances should be observed when working
When treating the lawn with a trimmer, it is necessary to avoid contact of the fishing line with rigid elements such as stones, trees, foundations. Contact with them will lead to grinding of the fishing line, and you will have to constantly increase it in length.
The main cutting element of the brushcutter is a reel equipped with a line for cutting grass. Its price is low, and if you follow the basic rules of use, it will last long enough. Today there are fishing lines that differ in their quality, section, properties. The line, as a rule, is sold in regular rolls in spools, or divided into sections of the desired length, for certain brushcutter models. Therefore, take full responsibility for its choice in order to make it easier for yourself and extend the life of the trimmer.
The line is made from nylon. polyamide, or polypropylene. In cheap products, there may be an addition of polyethylene. It significantly reduces temperature and wear resistance.
Long-lasting polypropylene trimmer line can become brittle. It is recommended to soak it in water for 30 minutes before use.
In strings with a large diameter of 4 mm, particles of aluminum are added to increase strength.
Do not use cables or wire in brushcutters: pieces of wire broken off at such a high speed easily pierce leather shoes.
Trimmer line section ranges from 1.2mm to 4mm.
- 1.2 mm. 1.6 mm. a thin string designed for constant lawn care. It is used in low-power devices. up to 0.5 kW. This is a standard line for an electric trimmer.
- From 2 mm. 2.4 mm. suitable for devices with a power of 1 kW. This is the most common option, as it allows you to cut both young and rather tough grown grass. Since the lawn in the dachas is looked after a little less often than it should be, the 2.4 mm cord turns out to be very useful.
- 3mm. 3.2mm is used for powerful gasoline appliances. Their task: to cope not only with grass, but also with thick stems of weeds and dead wood.
Some manufacturers paint the cord with different cross-sections. So, the line for trimmers Calm with a diameter of 1.6 mm is blue, with a section of 2 mm. green, the popular 2.4 mm is colored orange.
The string is sold in a package. bays, the length ranges from 10 to 100 m. However, there are also options for selling “for a cut”. In the photo. various types of cord with a cross section of 2 mm, 3 mm, 4 mm.
Trimmer line: features
There are several parameters to consider to choose the right string. Firstly, the characteristics of the device must indicate how thick the fishing line can be. When trying to thread a cord with a large diameter, the thread on the spool will get tangled, the engine will overheat, and the bushings will wear out much faster. Secondly, the task matters. mowing the lawn grass or cutting dead wood. The power of the device itself also puts its limits.
This type of gardening equipment is designed for small areas where maneuverability is more important than performance. If we are talking about the same flower bed, then mowing the grass in the immediate vicinity of the flowers using a wheeled lawn mower is unrealistic. The trimmer, electric or petrol, will do the job just fine.
The essence of his work is as follows: the fishing line or knife rotates at a fairly high speed and cut off the stems. A string or cord is used specifically for cutting grass. Which trimmer line is best depends on the task. For soft and hard grass, respectively, you need a cord with different technical characteristics.
Which trimmer line is better: which one to choose?
Caring for a lawn or flower garden includes not only watering and weeding, but also cutting the grass. Bare land on a flower bed or summer area looks unattractive. Smooth, soft, green “carpet” is, of course, much better.
Choosing a trimmer line
But to make the lawn look like this, you need special equipment.
To choose a fishing line not only in thickness, but also in shape, it is necessary for this reason: the cord does not cut the stem, but interrupts it. The rotating string hits the surface of the stem many times and eventually separates the top of the stem. For this job, the shape of the incisal edge is an important technical characteristic.
- Round. the most common, as it is universal: you can choose it for mowing both fresh and dry grass. It is considered less noisy, especially spiral. But this parameter is not important in all cases. The line for a gasoline trimmer can be as noisy as you like, it is still inaudible while the engine is running.
- Polygonal. from 3 to 6 faces. Sharp incisal edges handle coarse, thick stems better. So, a square cord with a cross section of 2.4 mm is able to remove raspberry stems. It should be noted that with a higher efficiency, the polygonal cord is consumed faster, and it should be used only for its intended purpose.
- Curly. an asterisk, ribbed, in the form of a twisted square with grooves, and so on. Their “specialization” is different, which it is advisable to learn about in the instructions before choosing. So, an asterisk is recommended for cutting fresh grass, as it is less traumatic: the grass after cutting does not dry out, as when using a round string. In the photo. a cord with a different shape.
Cord reels: characteristics
The trimmer head is, in fact, a special reel of line for the trimmer. Inside it, on a spool, a cord is wound. as a rule, up to 15 m. A thread of the required length is pulled from it when it breaks or gets worn out. When the string ends, a new thread is inserted into the bobbin.
By the type of cord feeding, the drums are divided into:
- manual. to lengthen the string, the device is turned off, and the line is manually pulled out;
- semi-automatic. activated by a favorite folk trick: you need to hit the mowing head on the ground. Upon impact, the anchor mechanism is released and the cord is automatically lengthened;
- automatic. here you need to reduce the speed, and then increase it again to the maximum: the spool will feed the thread when the speed increases.
The line trimmer drum is also refueled differently. In quick-charging ones, there is no need to disassemble the coil for refueling, in ordinary ones. you need to remove it and wind the cord manually. The video shows different ways to change the string.
3 comments on “Which trimmer line is better: which one to choose?”
What kind of fishing lines I have not used all are torn like devils, I honestly do not know at all what to do next. Either they “slip in shit” or “fake”. Any shit. If anyone knows how and where to find a “contractual” system. This is a BIG QUESTION.
2.4. Star. This is if you want to stock up on hay. And for grinding. round.
Curly cut more accurately. And the round ones throw around.
Choosing a trimmer line
In order to choose the right line for the trimmer, the following parameters should be considered:
- cord thickness;
- sectional shape;
- material of which the line is made.
The selection of the correct cord thickness is essential. It must match the characteristics of a particular device. If the line is with a large diameter, which is designed for a particular trimmer model, this can lead to tangling of the thread on the spool, overheating of the engine and rapid wear of the bushings.
The trimmer line can be sized from 1.2mm to 4mm. You can make such a conditional separation:
- Line with a thickness of 1.2. 1.6 mm. It is designed for devices with low power. up to 0.5 kW. As a rule, these are electrical models.
- Cord 2. 2.4 mm thick. This is the most common size and is suitable for cutting both young and tough grass. This line is installed on trimmers with a power of 1 kW.
- 3. 3.2mm thick line. designed for high power petrol trimmers that can cut thick stems.
- Cord 4 mm thick. This is the thickest trimmer line that can handle not only tough grass, but even shrub stalks.
The shape of the thread is also an important parameter when choosing a trimmer line. This is due to the fact that the process of cutting a grass stem is as follows: the fishing line separates its part, not cutting, but interrupting it. According to the cross-sectional shape, the cords are divided into the following types:
- Round. This is a versatile shape that is suitable for cutting both fresh and dry grass;
- multifaceted, which has from 3 to 6 faces. This line is capable of handling tough and thick stems. With all the advantages of the cord, it also has a disadvantage: fast consumption. Therefore, it is recommended to use it exclusively for its intended purpose;
- curly. in the form of stars, squares with recesses. They have their own characteristics of purpose. For example, an asterisk is used to cut fresh grass.
Which trimmer line is better?
The trimmer is an essential tool for cutting lawn and other vegetation. He is able to become an indispensable assistant for owners of private houses and summer cottages, as it helps to maintain the adjacent territory in a tidy condition. In order to choose a trimmer model that will carry out the work with the highest quality and serve faithfully for many years, you need to pay special attention to all the constituent parts of the device. One of the questions to be decided is which trimmer line is better.?
Production material for fishing line
As a rule, nylon line is used for the trimmer. made of polyamide or polypropylene. The cheaper version contains the addition of polyethylene. It is not recommended to use it, since the cord, which contains such a material, is characterized by a reduced resistance to wear and temperature.
To extend the life of a polypropylene line, it is soaked in water for half an hour before direct use. Many people have a question: which is the strongest trimmer line? These can be called strings with a large diameter (about 4 mm), into which aluminum particles are specially added.
Some people practice using metal wire or cables for brushcutters, which is absolutely impossible to do. It is best to use metal trimmer line, which is the most reliable.
In addition, the reinforced trimmer line, which consists of an outer layer and a dense core, is considered extra strong. This ensures its high wear resistance.
Thus, having the necessary information about the characteristics of the trimmer line, you can choose the best option for yourself.
Thread thickness (cord)
You can find out the required thickness by looking at the trimmer specifications or by reading the inscriptions on the universal bobbin. The most commonly used cords are 1.2 to 4 mm in diameter. over, each individual model has its own trimmer line diameter. The fact is that if the thread is thinner than the required one, then you will increase engine wear due to the increased number of shaft revolutions. If, on the contrary, it is too thick, then the resistance to rotation will increase, and the engine will start to overheat and eventually fail. The best way to determine the exact thread diameter is the type of trimmer motor. Thus, the following is obtained:
- For an electric trimmer with a lower engine “power” less than 500 watts, you will need a thread with a thickness of 1.3 mm. If you have not found one, then you can use a 1.6 mm thicker fishing line, but not more.
- For an electric trimmer with an overhead motor of about 1 kW, choose a thread with a diameter of 2 mm.
In this case, it does not matter what type of shaft the electric trimmer has, bent or straight (allows you to install the knives).
Advice! If initially a 1.6 mm fishing line is installed in the tool, then you can put the thread at 2 mm, this will not affect the operation of the engine.
If we are talking about a gasoline model, then in this situation it is necessary to determine which shaft the mower has. For bent, threads with a thickness of 2 mm are most often used. But on a tool with a straight shaft, a 3 mm or 2.4-2.5 trimmer line is installed. The thickest line is usually used on more powerful tools (from 1.3 kW).
If we talk about which line copes better with young grass or perennial dead wood, then we can conditionally divide the cords into the following categories:
- Fishing line from 1.2 to 1.6 mm. This is the thinnest thread used to trim the lawn.
- 2. 2.4 will allow you to cut both young grass and harder grass. Suitable for intermittent use.
- A thread from 3 to 3.2 mm will allow you to mow grass and thick stems of weeds or dead wood if you rarely go out of town.
The least common trimmer line is 4mm. This is due to the fact that rarely does anyone have to deal with such serious thickets. However, if you are the owner of a powerful gasoline “mower” and have not been to the country for several years, then a 4 mm line will be the best option.
There is a large selection of cords with different sections, depending on which the trimmer will be able to mow this or that grass:
- Round cords are the most popular, while such lines are cheaper than others, from 68 rubles (12 m). They mow fresh grass well, but they cope worse with dead wood and shrubs. The disadvantage of such a line is a rather strong noise, which resembles the hum from a running car engine.
- Spiral (twisted) cord makes less noise, but does not have high strength. Therefore, this line is only suitable for thin young grass, which you constantly look after. Such a line costs from 100 rubles.
- Square, rectangular or star line allows for a smoother mow with low noise levels. True, such products also cannot boast of durability. Such a thread will cost about 147 rubles per 12 meters.
- Sharp-edged serrated cord is used for large weeds in neglected areas. At the same time, the line will not make much noise, and due to the increased aerodynamic properties, the mower will be given additional power. This thread is suitable for a powerful trimmer. Serrated cord is considered durable and reliable.
- The two-piece round inner core trimmer line is considered to be the strongest of the bunch. Thanks to the core made of a different material, the cord can cut even small bushes. True, such a line is suitable only for gasoline trimmers. Due to the high cost (from 250 rubles) of such a cord, it is impractical to use it every day.
Trimmer line specifications
To understand what kind of trimmer line is needed for your mower model, it is enough to determine its main parameters: thread thickness, section shape, composition. Let’s consider all the components in more detail.
The composition of the fishing line directly depends on how long it will last. Most often, the threads are made from nylon. This material wears out more slowly and has high performance in high temperature and heavy load conditions. The duration of the work also does not affect the properties of nylon in any way.
Coaxial lines are considered to be the strongest. They can be distinguished by their dense core, which makes them wear longer than nylon cords. Such a line is difficult to cut with a knife, and during the mowing process it makes a minimum of noise.
The most expensive line is the one in which aluminum comes off, or rather, its inclusions. Such a cord appeared on the market relatively recently, but we can already say with confidence that it is the most durable.
Which trimmer line is better
Date of publication: January 25, 2016.
A beautiful lawn is the face of a summer cottage, so most gardeners prefer to sow special silky grass on their land, which not only pleases the eye, but also displaces annoying weeds. In addition to feeding and watering, the lawn grass needs to be cared for, so it needs to be mowed periodically. For these purposes, you can choose an electric trimmer or a lawn mower. Many people prefer a trimmer. The line reel is the main tool of this device, it allows you to quickly cut off overgrown grass with an even layer. In addition, with the help of a trimmer, you can level the lawn in the most difficult-to-reach places: in areas along paths and fences, around bushes, trees or a well.
Regardless of whether you use a conventional tool equipped with only a line, or an electric trimmer with a knife and line, sooner or later you will have to change some elements of such a device. Unfortunately, by this time the instructions from the portable lawn mower, where all the necessary requirements are indicated, are already lost and many people face the question of buying the “correct” fishing line.
After you have chosen the correct cord, you just have to remove the worn out part, clean the trimmer itself from dirt and grass, fill in the fishing line and you can start ennobling the suburban area.
So, when you decide and buy a line for the spit, the following problem will arise: how to fill it? It will take about half an hour, if you have not done this before.
The cord is wound on a trimmer spool, which is a plastic case with a cassette from the inside, on which there is a small winding hook. The standard type of fastening is a screw button. When you press on it, you can draw out the thread of the required length. The winding method is almost the same.
The following is the usual case with two antennae. Unscrew the center screw clockwise. Use a screwdriver to disassemble the head. Take out the coil. Measure the standard length of the line (2-4 m), cut and fold in half, and then simply start winding it around the removed part.
Its ends will be opposite to each other. Slide them out through the small locking holes and reassemble the head in the opposite direction. Make sure the ends don’t slip out.
The main determinants are the composition and diameter of the thread. The material greatly affects the durability. It is made of nylon, because it is considered the most durable working material. Nowadays, aluminum products have also begun to appear. they are even more effective.
And it is possible to determine the approximate diameter by the type of engine. Electric trimmers with a power of 1 kW will require products with a thickness of 2 mm, less than 500 watts. no thicker than 1.6 mm.
For petrol cutters, cords of 2.4-3 mm are taken, for brushcutters. 3.2 mm. It turns out that the more powerful the braid, the more rigging. Pay attention to it.
Steel center thread
To deal with really problematic areas, sellers recommend fishing line with a metal core. They last longer, cope in difficult conditions. Metal-reinforced filaments are used for professional purposes.
Which Shape CUTS BEST? (Weed Eater Line at 100,000 Frames Per Second) – Smarter Every Day 238
The core increases resistance to rupture. They can be square or round, with a thickness of approximately 3 mm. Naturally, the for such are higher, but the result of mowing is excellent.
Which line is better?
There is no definite answer to this question. Round types are universal, but cords in the form of stars are not suitable for everyone. Experienced workers believe: the correct selection of thread will increase productivity, save a quarter of time for cleaning the yard.
It is necessary to take into account the category of the device for which the purchase of the cutting device is planned. It is believed that twisted ones are best suited for beveling all trimmers (except for gasoline ones. they should be given cords with metal in the center). Twisted lines cut the grass easily, which is not always the case with smooth.
The thinner the threads, the easier the bevel, but their wear resistance is less, they quickly break or wear off. And the fat ones overload the device, spoil the lawn, as they crush the greens.
If you do not like twisted, then take the rounded or whichever line you think is best. Many recommend taking a branded one, invented by the same company as the trimmer.
There are options with notches and grooves that allow you to mow impassable weeds. Volume level is low, extra power is applied.
Such cutting devices are installed on petrol cutters before working in forgotten overgrown areas. Twisted lines are ideal for dry grass, but cost more than standard.
Trimmer line which is better for effective
A trimmer is a device with which gardeners can mow lawns, paths, areas near trees and fences. The cutting part includes a line. a strong thread that turns quickly during operation. In the photo, the cord looks like flexible wiring in various bright colors wrapped in convenient packaging. It bends and has good stiffness.
Brief content of the article:
- Main settings
- Steel center thread
- Which line is better?
- Line replacement
- Photo of a line for a trimmer
During mowing, the grass may run out or break off. Therefore, a replacement of the cord will be required. You will need the cord itself, gloves (you can do without them, as it is more comfortable) and a knife. Unwind the required size from the pack and cut. You can hold the piece in water for half an hour. it will become more flexible and durable.
Press down on the locks or unscrew the thumbscrew to insert the thread into the bobbin. Remember how the spring and the fixing screw are positioned so that there are no problems when assembling.
It is worth folding the elements in a certain order not far from you. Then start winding the line in the same way as during the first threading. Do this carefully, without pulling, because the thread needs a free run. Also pull the ends into the slots.
Then close the lid and tighten. Place the cutter head on the trimmer and pull the line to the desired length. Now you can continue working.
What is the line
The life of the line depends on the material. Most of the cores are made from nylon, which is highly durable, flexible and durable. The material is easily stretched, it perfectly tolerates temperature changes and significant loads. In terms of price-quality ratio, nylon line takes the leading positions.
When hanging reliability is required, you can purchase a line with a metal core. It consists of two layers: a flexible outer shell is superimposed on a rigid base. This design provides less wear and a 30% increase in strength compared to nylon cutters.
The two-component line was conceived for the needs of public utilities and professional organizations involved in landscaping areas along the sides of roads or railways. But now it can be found in the household.
Among the disadvantages of such a line are the high price and the requirement for the power of the tool. Installation of a cord in devices up to 1.5 kW is not recommended.
A round vein has become widespread. Among its advantages are affordable price, low consumption, wide choice for all standard sizes and high durability. There is only one significant drawback. increased noise when harvesting grass. To protect your hearing, you should get headphones.
The figured section (square, polyhedron, sprocket) is characterized by a large number of cutting edges. This is a more productive type compared to round cords. They make less noise, but also have less strength, which leads to frequent replacement and overuse of line.
Which line is better, round or curly? It all depends on the area of application of the trimmer. For mowing young grass or low dead wood, a round shape is perfect. And for cleaning the earthen cut of tough shoots, thick stems, a curly fishing line is the ideal choice. It produces a smooth cut without crushing.
Trimmer line which is better for effective
If you are a happy owner of a lawn, then you must have a trimmer in your arsenal. It gives a neat and well-groomed appearance to the green lawn by mowing overgrown grass and plant shoots. The device consists of a drive, an ergonomic handle, a connecting rod and a cutting head. Usually, the latter is a spool with line. Her competent choice is the key to effective trimmer operation.
Brief content of the article:
The diameter of the trimmer line is the most important parameter of the mower. Indeed, in the working part of the tool there are holes of certain dimensions, and not every line will crawl through them. If the line is chosen incorrectly, then this leads to increased loads on the drive.
Consumables with a diameter of 1.4 mm to 4 mm are on sale. The diameter is determined by the trimmer model and its power:
- For compact units with a power of up to 1 kW, processing small areas, fishing lines with a thickness of 1.4-2.4 mm are recommended.
- An electric scythe or a trimmer that runs on gasoline is equipped with thicker cords. 2.4-3 mm.
- The most formidable devices, capable of clearing large areas of the aerial part of shrubs and young trees, have a vein of 3-4 mm.
How to work with a line
When mowing grass with the trimmer, it is important to avoid line contact with stones, fence or tree. The contact leads to grinding of the cord, reducing its service life. No matter how high-quality fishing line is, it still has a resource. Therefore, it is important to know how to correctly change the line on the trimmer.
First of all, you need to remove the bobbin from the equipment. The removal order is determined by the model:
- If the drive is located at the bottom, then to remove the upper part of the coil, you must simultaneously press the buttons on the sides.
- For devices with a curved shaft, hold the bobbin with your hand and turn the thumbs freely to the left (counterclockwise).
- For a unit with a straight handle, a groove is found at the bottom of the coil and a screwdriver is installed in it. By turning the spool body to the left, remove the bobbin.
After successful extraction, the reel is disassembled on a flat, free of vegetation. You need to act carefully. there is a spring inside the coil, which is easy to lose. As a result of parsing, several parts are obtained: a casing, a housing and directly the winding coil itself.
The threading of the line on the trimmer is carried out in accordance with the model of the equipment.
Coil with two holes. The winding technology looks different. 3-4 m of cord are separated from the skein. The tip is folded in half, and the loop formed is hooked onto the groove in the center of the coil.
Winding is performed opposite to the working rotation along one or two grooves in accordance with the design of the bobbin. When the thread comes to an end, its tails are pulled out through the 2 holes in the upper part of the spool.
There are reels with automatic cord winding. It is enough to correctly insert the end of the line, and the turns will form on their own after activating a special mechanism.
Trimmer line specifications
For efficient operation of the brushcutter, the correct choice of fishing line is of considerable importance. Therefore, quite often the owners of such equipment have questions: what properties should a good trimmer line have, which is better, is the difference in cost justified? Quite a large number of people, especially if they use the trimmer rarely and irregularly, do not think too much about the intricacies of choice, and acquire the first line they come across, more or less suitable for specific conditions and acceptable in cost. However, at least once faced with problems due to the unsuitability of the fishing line for their task, many still think. how to make the right choice?
Several main characteristics affect the operational properties of the fishing line as a cutting element:
- geometric dimensions (diameter or thickness, depending on the shape);
- the material from which the fishing line is made;
- cross-sectional shape.
Let’s take a closer look at what each of the above parameters affects.
Trimmer line. Which is better?
Trimmers are popular today, they are used quite widely both in everyday life and professionally. In order for the work with this tool to deliver less inconvenience, to be performed quickly, efficiently and with the necessary result, you need to choose the cutting part correctly. There are special cutting discs for almost all trimmer models, however, most often they use fishing line (also called vein or cord), as the most versatile and affordable working element.
Materials used in production
The two-piece (coaxial) trimmer line is the most durable and reliable. The idea is simple enough. a flexible outer layer is located on a tough and very strong core. Such a combination of properties makes it possible not to lose operational properties for quite a long time, such a cord wears out gradually, much more slowly than other types. Initially, this line with a steel core was developed for professional use. working in difficult areas, mowing grass from roadsides, near railway embankments. Only the power of the tool acts as a limitation. it is not recommended by experts to use a cord with a rigid core on petrol cutters with a power of less than 1.5 kW. The disadvantage is also the price. due to the complexity of manufacturing, the cost of a two-component line is noticeably higher than a regular nylon line.
Lines for trimmers with a curly cross-section have become widespread. It can be square, cruciform, or in the form of a star with a different number of rays, a polygonal vein. Due to the presence of sharp edges, this version of the cord shows good performance. At the same time, the curly fishing line has quite good aerodynamic properties, it is suitable for working on almost any grass, throughout the season. It should only be remembered that the complex shape of the cross section assumes a slightly lower strength, therefore the figured vein breaks more often than an ordinary one.
One of the options for a curly cord is a twisted core or with notches. This shape gives a performance benefit due to aerodynamic properties. In addition, this type of line produces much less noise, which adds comfort to the operator. It should be borne in mind that such a core does not have very high strength characteristics, so that its consumption is quite large.
There is also a special, complex-shaped trimmer line, which, upon close examination, is somewhat similar to a chainsaw chain. Has a large number of sharp corners, notches and edges on its surface. This is a rather rare specialized type of cord, characterized by significant wear resistance and is used, as a rule, in powerful professional trimmer models. Reviews about this line are excellent. Copes with almost any task, it only requires a special head. A very high quality item, but you need to be prepared for its not the smallest cost.
Thickness as one of the most important parameters
The cross-sectional diameter (or thickness, if the line is not round) is one of the main criteria by which the choice is made. The use of conductors inappropriate to the conditions or power of the unit will either significantly reduce the efficiency of work, or will give an increased load on the trimmer units, which is also undesirable. The accompanying paperwork for the mower will usually indicate the recommended thickness of the cord. In addition, this parameter is often indicated directly on the body of the universal spool, which is included with the unit. The diameter range recommended for most trimmers sold and used today includes sizes from 1.2 to 4 mm. However, for each specific device, a certain diameter is used, with permissible deviations in one direction or another of about 0.3 mm.
When using too thin fishing line, the resource of the petrol cutter will be used irrationally, the cord will often break, and it will be consumed too quickly. If a conductor is used that is much thicker than the recommended one, the load on the engine increases noticeably, its rapid overheating is possible, which can lead to a malfunction. In such a situation, of course, a lot depends on the engine, the quality of its assembly and the manufacturer.
You can calculate the thickness of the line by the power of the power unit. In electric trimmers of low power (up to 600 W), as a rule, a fishing line with a diameter of up to 1.6 mm is used, with an increase in power up to 1 kW, a two-millimeter one is used. Gasoline engines make it possible to use 2.4–3 mm fishing line, since they have an increased engine power compared to electric braids. If, after using a thin core, a situation arises when a thicker trimmer line is used, which is better, it is immediately clear. Cord of considerable thickness allows you to work much longer and wears out more slowly. In addition, tough, dry stems and young shrubs are more susceptible to it.
The trimmer is a great solution for those who have ornamental shrubs or lawns in the courtyard of a country house or in the country. Of course, they look very beautiful, but they need to be cut and trimmed often. Using an electric or gasoline scythe, you efficiently and quickly cut grass, even in the most difficult to access areas. The performance of the device depends on the choice of line. Topic: trimmer line. which is better?
Almost all brushcutters use 1.4-4.0 mm cords. However, before purchasing this or that line, do not be too lazy to look into the technical characteristics of the device to find out what thickness of the cord it is designed for.
Important! If the thread is too thin, it can cause premature engine wear. Using an excessively thick cord (over 4 mm) results in increased friction. The result is the same. the engine wears out or burns out quickly. Needless to say, this happens at the most inopportune moment.!
The approximate thickness of the cord can be determined depending on the power source:
- For brushcutters up to 1 kW, battery or mains powered, the maximum line thickness is 2 mm.
- The optimum line thickness for a 0.5 kW brushcutter is 1.5 mm.
- The thickness of the cord for gasoline appliances is 2.4-3.0 mm. With its help, you can cut not only grass, but also shrubs. It is much more profitable to operate such a cord. If only because it is stronger, and you will not have to change it often.
Trimmer line. which is better?
Criterias of choice
Different manufacturing companies use different consumables for the manufacture of fishing lines. To make the right and thoughtful choice, you need to know its main criteria.
How to choose a trimmer line. basic rules:
The owner himself decides which thread is better. However, there are several general selection rules that must be followed in any case. The wrong choice can provoke the failure of the device:
- Select the thickness of the cord in strict accordance with the technical characteristics of the device and the type of engine. For example, a 4mm line is not suitable for a low-powered device.
- Pay attention to the configuration of the section of the cord. Young grass on the lawn can be cut with a round thin line. Mowing of perennial plants is possible with a fishing line with sharp angles in cross section.
- When working, try to avoid contact of the cord with hard surfaces. Otherwise, the line will wear out faster.
- High price and high quality are not synonymous. Therefore, do not try to purchase the most expensive product. To mow slightly grown grass, a budget option with a thickness of 1.2-1.4 mm is enough.
to the content
Composition, or what the trimmer line is made of:
- The most common line material is nylon. It is a wear-resistant material that withstands mechanical stress and fairly significant temperature changes. Nylon retains its strength characteristics for a long time.
- Coaxial thread is even stronger than nylon. Its validity period is much longer.
- Now on sale there are lines with aluminum inclusions. Consumers have positive reviews about them.
The most practical option is a round section. Compared to other varieties, such a cord is relatively inexpensive. At the same time, the mowing quality is very good. But the round line has a drawback. loud noise when the tool is running. This problem can be solved by purchasing a line of a spiral configuration. In addition, there are square, star and rectangular cords on sale.
Important! A line with sharp notches around the edges is better at handling grass.
A special talk is about cords with dents and grooves along their entire length. The thickness of this line is 4 mm. It is used in addition to a powerful brushcutter for overgrown and neglected areas. In this case, the sound from the trimmer is not very strong.
Important! Twisted line is indispensable for cutting dead wood. It has a circular cross-section and an internal insert made of a different material. The cord has significant strength even with a relatively small (1.4 mm) thickness. This thread can only be used on a petrol cutter. The cost of the line is quite high. It is purchased not for permanent use, but if you need to perform urgent complex work in 1-2 days.