the lawn mower stalls when you press the gas cause
Those who have lawns on their personal plot know that a trimmer is a rather useful thing that will help you quickly and efficiently tidy the lawn or clear weeds from overgrown areas. And, like any mechanism, it also often fails due to various breakdowns. One of the most common complaints from device owners is that the trimmer stalls when you press the gas. We propose to understand the main reasons for this phenomenon and identify ways to solve the problem.
The lawn mower stalls when you press the gas, how to fix a breakdown
Likewise, when the throttle is pressed, the tool stalls because the actuator is clogged. The following option is also possible: the fuel does not come in full volume, so you need to check or replace the fuel filter. Other possible reasons for stalled lawn mowers when giving gas include:
- Crankshaft oil seals suck in air;
- A spacer that is located between the carburetor and the cylinder in a “problem” situation;
To all of these reasons why the mechanism stalls when gas is added, we will add some helpful tips on how to handle your lawn mower. First of all, before starting work with any technique, you need to read the instructions. In this case, the consistency of gasoline and oil plays an important role, it is competently prepared by you, and also not to overheat the unit, and not to leave gasoline for the winter when you simply will not use the car.
The well-coordinated work of all its components plays an important role in the full-fledged work of any tool. And if in one it is a line for lawn mowers, then in the other it is a piston or a carburetor. Lawnmower owners who want to use their tool at full capacity need to understand that under a load for which the machine’s capabilities are not designed, the entire mechanism or its individual parts can simply break. Therefore, only competent and moderate operation presupposes long-term efficient operation of any gasoline-powered tool.
Causes of malfunction and their elimination
In order to most accurately determine the cause of the malfunction of any brand of trimmer (for example, Echo) and find out the possibility of its elimination, you need to establish at what action the device stalls. The engine can be turned off both at idle and at high speeds, heating up under load or immediately after starting, etc.
Why does the trimmer stall when you press the gas?
As you can see, there are many reasons why the trimmer can stall when you press the gas. That is why it is important to monitor the condition of your assistant, check the status of all systems of the mechanism in time.
Before figuring out why any of the tools of a summer resident-gardener or a professional working with a lawn mower (lawn mower) stalls, it is worth distinguishing between two main situations when this happens. The first is when the instrument does not start after you have just made the purchase, and the second is when the instrument is in use. So, let’s look at both.
- After launch. The lawn mower stalls if the carburetor is set incorrectly or if it has been adjusted. Fuel is supplied unevenly, respectively, there are distinct vibrations.
- When heated. The situation when the mechanism starts and works, but gradually “chokes” and stalls on the move. when gasoline boils in the carburetor, or the damper in the carburetor is not disc, but rotary. In such cases, it is better to replace the carburetor itself. There is a variant of air leakage. when the coil or wire in the ignition is broken.
- At high revs. This also occurs from a carburetor straightening or clogging of the cap on the gas tank. It is worth trying working with a slightly open valve. Be sure to check the fuel intake hose. it may be cracked or poorly attached to the base.
- Not gaining momentum. As the main reason why the engine does not pick up speed, the air filter is clogged. It is possible for the cable to fall off in the carburetor, breakdown of the carburetor and the occurrence of problems with the mechanics of the motor drive.
There are times when a part of the mechanism requires mandatory replacement, so we are always happy to offer spare parts for lawn mowers. It is important to understand that sometimes saving on minor elements can lead to breakdown of such global components as the carburetor or engine. Therefore, competent operation and timely replacement of the necessary particles will provide you with a full-fledged work with pleasure.
If stalled at high speeds
If the carburetor stalls at high speeds, this means that at idle and low speeds, the incoming fuel is enough for it, but not enough to work at high speeds. Then it is necessary to check the health of the following trimmer assemblies.
- Fuel hose. may have been damaged by cracking. In this case, you need to replace the part. Or maybe you just need to tighten the clamps.
- The filter mesh between the carburetor and the gasoline supply hose. it could be clogged. In this situation, it is necessary to clean the part.
- The valve located on the gas tank cap. it could get stuck or clogged with debris. Cleaning is also needed.
- Carburetor. it may be misaligned as a result of constant vibration. This is usually the case for cheap Chinese parts. To fix the problem, you need to configure according to the instructions. In some cases, it is enough just to loosen the tightening of the carburetor body. If the adjustment fails, you need to install a new element.
- Additionally, you should check the air filter. It may need to be rinsed and cleaned or replaced with a new one, as it could get clogged with dirt and grass particles when the equipment is tilted, when the user mowed in hard-to-reach places.
If stalled after launch
If the equipment starts and stalls immediately after starting, this indicates an incorrect setting or misalignment of the device. As a result, fuel does not flow to the engine evenly, resulting in significant vibration and trim disengagement. To fix the breakdown, it is necessary to reconfigure the device according to the user’s manual.
Another probable problem is a clogged gasoline supply valve. It needs to be cleaned.
On a note! If the trimmer starts but stalls immediately, it may also mean that fuel is having difficulty moving to the carburetor. The weakening of the valve will help to eliminate the problem. this will ensure uniform and free circulation of fuel in the device.
Another possible cause is a damaged fuel intake hose. Air can enter the system through cracks and holes. To solve the problem, you need to increase the engine speed in order to get rid of air bubbles that have penetrated into the device.
Trimmer stalls at idle. reasons and solutions
Common situations where a trimmer or lawn mower stalls is idling. Let’s go straight to the reasons:
- heating of the gearbox and a drop in revolutions on the drum as a result of the gasoline solution not being prepared quite correctly. The required proportion is 1: 4;
- contamination of the carburetor;
- the throttle valve is clogged;
- when the damper is opened (if such an experiment was carried out), the air flow makes the mixture “lean”;
- adjusting the carburetor;
- clogged air filter;
Insufficient amount of fuel, which is needed for the operation of the gasoline-powered tool, will entail a situation when at high speeds, with an increase, the trimmer works, and at idle it stalls. In a situation with a carburetor, the device will stall on cold start and “hot”. For any lawn mower user. a professional and an amateur, it is important to understand that any malfunction of the tool may depend on fine flaking of the part, detachment of the fastener or clogging, as well as on the global breakdown of an important part of the mechanism.
Despite all sorts of malfunctions, your device still needs such an indispensable component as lawn mower knives, without which the operation of the scythe is simply impossible.!
The petrol trimmer is a useful tool for clearing unwanted grass from house areas and large lawns. The design of this technique is quite complex, therefore, if the device breaks down, there may be several reasons. The most likely factors causing the breakdown are usually described in the user manual. Knowing why the trimmer stalls, you can try to fix the defect yourself. The most common malfunctions that provoke a stop of lawn mowers, and the possibility of repairing them with your own hands. in the material below.
the lawn mower stalls at high engine speeds
During operation, a situation arises when, when you press the fuel mixture supply button, the speed of the unit does not begin to increase, but to decrease. A malfunction of this nature can be caused by:
Fuel hoses for lawn mowers with filter
- etching atmospheric air into the combustion chamber;
- problems with the circulation of the fuel mixture;
- clogging of the breather in the fuel tank cap (cleaning the hole with a fine sewing needle);
- incorrect carburetor adjustment.
When air is leaking during the operation of the internal combustion engine, it is necessary to check the tightness of the connection of the pipes and the integrity of the gaskets in the CPG. The problem with the circulation of the fuel mixture can be solved by removing blockages in the fuel pipes leading to the carburetor. If a vacuum occurs in the tank and the fuel mixture does not flow to the carburetor, it is enough to clean the breather with a thin needle and blow it with air.
Preventive measures and rules of operation
In order for the lawn mower to function properly and not stall when started, it must be properly stored and operated. Compliance with the following simple recommendations will allow you to forget about problems.
- When mowing grass, the condition of the cooling system must be monitored. It is also necessary to regularly clean the channels in the housing and the ribs of the starter.
- Use kerosene, thinner or other detergent to clean the instrument.
- Do not clean the instrument while it is hot. it must cool down before washing.
- It is important to observe the recommended operating mode to avoid overheating of the engine.
- If the scythe is not used within the next thirty days, the fuel must be drained, otherwise it will decompose into heavy components that can clog the channels of the carburetor.
- After the fuel has been drained, the trimmer should idle for a while until it turns off. This will completely get rid of the remaining working mixture inside.
To store the tool in cold weather, you must:
- completely drain the fuel;
- disassemble the lawn mower, wash and clean all available components;
- inspect the condition of the parts, eliminate all defects that can be corrected;
- pour the prescribed amount of oil into the gearbox;
- clean the air filter;
- partial disassembly of the engine, wash, blow out and lubricate all moving parts;
- to lubricate the piston, unscrew the candle, then use the starter to raise the piston to top dead center, pour a small amount of oil into the hole for the spark plug and turn the crankshaft several times.
Important! If it is not possible to store the trimmer in a warm, dry room, you must first wrap the motor with an oiled rag.
Only by observing these rules, you can be sure that the lawn mower will work properly and will not stall for a number of seasons.
As you can see, there are many reasons for the trimmer to stop working. Most of them can be corrected by yourself using the user manual. In cases where there is no self-confidence, it is recommended to take the equipment to repair. It is worth remembering that the wrong actions can cause even more harm to the trimmer. As a result, repairing lawn mowers will cost significantly more than it would have been originally, and in the worst case, you may need to buy a new unit.
Possible reasons for the lawn mower or trimmer to stall when trying to restart and resume interrupted work:
- engine problems;
- failure in the gasoline and oil supply system;
- damage to pipelines (capillaries, hoses, nozzles);
- faults in the ignition system.
A general description of scythe or trimmer problems is not enough here. A clear and immediate repair, high-quality service is impossible without specifying the identified cause.
If stalled without gaining momentum
If the trimmer does not pick up speed and turns off, there may be several reasons. The most common culprit is a clogged air filter. It must be pulled out and cleaned, if necessary replaced.
On a note! The trimmer could stall without gaining speed due to a carburetor malfunction. The unit for repair or replacement must be taken to the service center.
Echo trimmer starts but will not rev.
Another possible malfunction is related to the mechanics of the motor drive. This part of the trimmer must be thoroughly cleaned and the inner cables must be lubricated.
You also need to make sure that the cable in the carburetor has not slept. Before using the trimmer for the first time, check this structural element to ensure that it is firmly and not tightly tensioned. Otherwise, the cable may crack, resulting in costly repairs.
If stalled under load
Sometimes the trimmer stalls under load because it cannot gain momentum. This means that the cable, which is taut in the carburetor, is loose and slack. If you have experience in repairing this unit, the cable should be tightened.
Another cause of the malfunction is that the fuel intake hose is too tight. Under load, it stretches even more, as a result of which cracks are formed, as a result, the part deteriorates. To eliminate the breakdown, you will need to replace this element.
In the process of warming up the engine
If the engine heats up too quickly, overheats. the lawn mower or trimmer works unevenly, as if in jerks. After which it will stall. The reason may be as follows:
- boiling gasoline;
- the ignition wire is damaged (poor insulation);
- the coil in the ignition system has noticeably burned out, interturn short circuits have appeared.
The same heating is observed when using a rotary (rather than disc) damper.
At high revs
When the scythe stalls at high speeds, this is due to the following problems:
- clogging or sticking of the valve located on the gas tank cap;
- the carburetor is out of alignment under the influence of vibrations arising from the operation of the mechanism;
- problems with the circulation of the fuel mixture;
- suction of atmospheric air;
- the fuel intake hose is cracked or loose.
Adjust the carburetor referring to the trimmer operating instructions. For adjustment, it is often sufficient to loosen the tightening of its housing. If there are problematic points with the circulation of the fuel mixture, then it can gradually enter the carburetor. After its development, the engine stalls at high speeds.
The trimmer stalls when you press the gas
Trimmer stalls: causes and troubleshooting
The lawn mower is a mobile, high-performance tool for beautifying home gardens and surrounding areas. With prolonged operation, due to wear of parts or manufacturing defects, malfunctions occur, which lead to the fact that the trimmer stalls or does not start. Since this tool is a rather complex mechanism, there may be several reasons why the lawn mower stalls.
Why does the trimmer stall
There are two main ways to troubleshoot problems: transferring the braid to a specialized center or solving the issue with your own hands. The first option is suitable for those who are ready to pay a “tidy” sum to restore the unit’s performance, and the second for those who have basic locksmith skills and can independently figure out the causes of breakdowns and ways to eliminate them.
It is now accepted to classify breakdowns for which the lawn mower stalls into the following categories:
- mechanical damage to the internal combustion engine crankcase, malfunctions of the cylinder-piston group (CPG);
- breakdowns associated with the supply of the fuel mixture (air filter, carburetor);
- malfunctions due to damaged tubes, hoses, cables or ignition circuit.
The trimmer stalls when you press the gas
The lawn mower stalls when you press the gas
As practice shows, in most cases, the reason for stopping the engine is a misalignment of the carburetor associated with long-term storage or operation of the tool in an aggressive environment (temperature drops, high humidity, dust), high loads or wear of individual parts. The characteristic signs of the need to tune the carburetor include increased vibration. If you have experience in repairing the fuel system of gasoline engines, you can fix the problem without any special problems, otherwise you can read the detailed instructions for setting up the carburetor.
Hole in the fuel cap (breather) of the trimmer
The second possible reason why the trimmer stalls when you press the gas is a clogged hole in the fuel tank cap (breather). When small particles of dust, grass residues and sand enter it, a vacuum is created in the gas tank, as a result of which fuel ceases to flow into the carburetor. You can clean the breather of the petrol trimmer with a regular sewing needle and then blow it off with compressed air. Experts recommend at the end of work, once in several mows, to clean the breather. If cleaning is not possible, the cover must be replaced.
Lawn mowers fuel valve
With a similar problem, you should pay attention to the fuel valve, which, when clogged, ceases to pass the fuel mixture normally. The solution to this problem is to mitigate it with a suitable tool. In addition, the problem with the circulation of the fuel mixture may lie in the contamination of the valve. To do this, it is enough to blow it with a stream of compressed air.