Checking the timing marks and air filter
The car’s internal combustion engine operates in four strokes. To exclude the simultaneous admission of the combustible mixture and the release of exhaust gases, the gas distribution mechanism was designed. For the mechanism to function properly, its shafts must start from the correct positions. These provisions are identified by special labels. After replacing or repairing the timing belt, it is important to make sure that the marks are set correctly, otherwise the motor will refuse to work. In addition, the position of the shafts with the operation of the car may change relative to the position of other timing elements.
If you cannot solve the problem by going through all the previous stages, then you should thoroughly go through all the filters, in particular the air filters. The accumulated dirt and dust is a serious obstacle to the flow of air on the way to the cylinders of the power unit. If the air filters have exhausted their resource, it is best to replace them with new ones. There is no point in cleaning them. new air filters are relatively inexpensive. In the carburetor system, it is also important to check its tightness.
Car engine won’t start: what to do?
Problems with starting the engine are inherent in vehicles with both a carburetor and an injection power system. For example, in hot weather, after stopping, a car with a carburetor often stops starting. The reason lies on the surface. the formed air jams prevent the start of the power unit. In this case, you need to open the throttle and turn on the starter for a few seconds. It is also important to check the condition of the candles.
Owners of modern cars often believe that the engine will work properly until “Check engine” is displayed on the dashboard. This is one of the main misconceptions. there are many reasons why a car will be immobilized without any notification of an error. Well, if the “Check Engine” indicator still lights up, the first thing to do is to check the mass fuel consumption sensor. But what to do in any other case?
For the successful operation of the motor, the following conditions are necessary:
- The presence of a spark;
- Fuel supply;
- Oxygen supply;
The car will not start if at least one of these conditions is not met. It is quite easy to check the candles for performance: you need to unscrew them, connect them to a high-voltage wire, put them on the metal part of the engine and turn on the ignition. The spark should be bright and powerful. To make sure that the fuel supply is really happening, it is enough to disconnect the gas line leading to the carburetor and press the accelerator pedal. On vehicles with an electronic injection system, the technique is somewhat different. But the work of the gas pump can also be determined by ear.
Measuring the compression level
Drivers with a large baggage of knowledge and experience, as a rule, making sure that there really is a spark, but the mixture does not ignite, first of all measure the level of compression in the cylinders. The engine does not start often precisely because of the low pressure at the time of starting. To measure the level of compression, you need to have only one device at hand. a compression meter.
It is necessary to determine the level of compression in each cylinder and make sure that it is correct. The difference in compression ratio between different cylinders should not be more than 0.9 atmospheres. If the indicators are higher, it is worth conducting a thorough diagnosis of the engine and determining the most effective way to fix the problem. Low compression is evidence of a malfunction of the piston group: failure of the timing belt or its displacement by one “tooth”.
Spark and gasoline comes in, but the car won’t start
The life of a motorist is full of surprises, sometimes the most unpredictable ones. Almost every driver at least once, but faced such an unpleasant situation when gasoline is supplied to the fuel line of the car, there is a spark, but the engine still does not start. Such a whim of the power unit can drive a novice car enthusiast into a dead end.
Do not panic and immediately call specialists for help, the malfunction can be eliminated on your own. To do this, it is enough to know some of the technical subtleties of the engine: how the ignition of the combustible mixture occurs and what conditions are necessary for a successful start of the car engine.
- Car engine won’t start: what to do?
- Measuring the compression level
- Checking timing marks and air filter
- Checking the starter and ignition coil
Checking the starter and ignition coil
If the starter is not spinning, the first step is to check the battery. Do not neglect this procedure, even if the replacement or charging of the battery was only recently. The voltage can be measured with a multimeter. At the same time, it is worth checking the condition of high-voltage wires and terminals, which are often oxidized and damaged. In cases where the starter relay is triggered, but the mechanism itself cannot rotate, it is worth carefully inspecting:
- Retracting armature and guide sleeves.
- Starter winding.
- Bendix teeth. ensure engagement with the flywheel ring.
Another extremely important element in the ignition system is the coil. It is important to visually inspect the mechanism, as well as to make sure that the connectors and contacts are in good condition. If there is damage, you must replace the coil with a new one and try to start the car engine.
Modern auto brands include a large amount of electronics. The operation of the system is impossible without various sensors and devices. The slightest disturbances in the functioning of such mechanisms (phase sensor, speed, crankshaft position) lead to the inoperability of the main power unit.
It is important to remember that for the engine to work, you need efficient spark plugs, a supply of a fuel-air mixture and an optimal level of compression in the cylinders. After conducting a step-by-step diagnosis of each system in the car, most likely, the reason why the engine will not start will be found. If you cannot fix it on your own, it is best to seek help from a service station specialist.
Gasoline trimmer won’t start: causes and remedies
- Diagnostic features
- Main reasons
- Breakdown elimination methods
- Recommendations for use
Taking into account the specifics of using gasoline trimmers, their owners often have to deal with certain problems. One of the most common troubles is that the brushcutter will not start or gain momentum. For the fastest and most effective elimination of such a problem, you should have an idea of the main causes of possible malfunctions.
Breakdown elimination methods
It is no secret that the best and most effective repair method is to prevent possible malfunctions. As already noted, one of the key points is how well the gasoline-oil mixture is prepared. Its components must be at least AI-92 gasoline and high-quality engine oil. The proportions for which the mixture is prepared are indicated in the manufacturer’s manual that comes with any gasoline trimmer. As a rule, oil is added to gasoline using an ordinary medical syringe. In this way, the easiest way is to maintain the appropriate proportions.
Quite often, if problems arise with starting the brushcutter, the owners of the tool try to carry out repairs with their own hands. With the necessary knowledge and skills, this approach will significantly reduce operating costs. First of all, it is worth checking the fuel system and, in particular, the filter element. If a blockage is found, the easiest way is to replace the filter with a new one. If the air filter has become the source of problems, then you can get out of a difficult situation even in the process of work with little time. You will need to do the following:
- remove the filter element;
- directly in working conditions, you can wash the filter with the used gasoline;
- when operating a scythe at home or at a summer cottage, water and simple detergents are used for cleaning;
- after washing, the part is thoroughly rinsed and dried;
- a completely dry filter should be lubricated with engine oil;
- excess lubricant is removed by squeezing the filter element with your hands;
- the cleaned part is put in place and the plastic cover is fixed with screws.
If the described actions do not provide a positive result, then the next step is to adjust the idle speed using the appropriate carburetor screw. Many publications and videos posted on the world wide web are devoted to this topic. When trying to solve the problems in question, there are several steps you can take.
- The trimmer is placed on the side so that the “air” is on top. This will allow the fuel mixture to flow to the bottom of the carburetor. Often, attempts to start the internal combustion engine are successful if you first dismantle the mentioned part and literally send a couple of drops of gasoline directly to the carburetor itself.
- If, after all the described actions, the scythe did not work, then attention should be paid to the state of the candle and, in particular, the presence of a spark. In parallel, all fuel is completely removed from the combustion chamber.
- Often, owners of petrol cutters find themselves in situations when the fuel and air filters are clean, the candles are in good order, the fuel mixture is fresh and of high quality, but the internal combustion engine does not show signs of life. In such cases, experienced specialists recommend using a universal and proven method of launching many years of practice. It is necessary to move the choke to the closed position and pull the starter handle once. After that, the damper opens and the engine is started 2-3 times. In the vast majority of cases, the result is positive.
Problems can arise with the starter itself. Often the cable breaks and the handle breaks. You can deal with such troubles on your own. In other cases, as a rule, the starter is replaced. It is worth noting that this device can be purchased assembled and installed by hand.
The spark plug can be flooded with fuel during the start of the trimmer ICE. Even with a high-quality mixture and a good spark, starting the device is unlikely to work. The most effective way out is to remove the candle and dry it. In parallel, you can check this spare part for operability, if any faults are detected, replace it. This procedure includes a number of simple steps, namely:
- turn off the device and wait for the power unit to cool completely;
- disconnect the wire;
- remove the candle itself;
- inspect the dismantled part;
- make sure there is a gap (0.6 mm);
- screw in a new, working plug and tighten it.
In practice, many repair work related to the fact that the scythe has stopped starting up and which sooner or later one has to deal with during the operation of a household petrol cutter can be done independently. But in case of serious malfunctions, it would be most rational to contact a specialized service. However, the key factor in such cases will be the ratio of the cost of repairs to the price of a new trimmer.
As practice shows, gasoline trimmers stop starting or function normally after winter, that is, long-term seasonal storage. Before further attempts to run the tool, thorough diagnostics should be performed to determine the source of the problem. At the moment, there are several of the most common causes of malfunction.
- Initially, it is necessary to check the quality of the fuel. Saving in such cases can have extremely negative consequences. Experienced brushcutter owners and experts advise preparing a mixture, the volume of which will correspond to the forthcoming work, since its surplus quickly loses its qualities.
- Trimmers of such famous brands as, for example, Husgvarna, Makita, Stihl, are very sensitive to the fuel used. It is about the quality of the fuel and the octane number. Providing suitable operating conditions and extending the service life of the equipment will allow refueling with high-quality gasoline.
- At the time of starting the internal combustion engine, the petrol cutter can stall due to the fact that it floods the spark plug. Often in such situations you have to deal with the need to adjust the carburetor. It is worth noting that similar problems arise when the braid stops getting hot.
- Sometimes the tool cannot be started, although the plug is wet, which in turn indicates that the fuel mixture has entered the combustion chamber. As a rule, this is one of the symptoms that there is no spark. The reasons may be the lack of normal contact between the spark plugs and the high-voltage wire, or drying out of the threaded connection in the spark plug channel.
- If there are no problems with the spark, and at the same time the candle itself remains dry, then most often this indicates that gasoline is not being pumped. There may be several reasons for this situation. We are talking, in particular, about the condition of the fuel filter and carburetor.
- The internal combustion engine of the streamer does not start or immediately after starting it stops working, which may be due to clogging of the air filter, which prevents the normal supply of air necessary to enrich the mixture.
In addition to all of the above, trimmer owners have to face more serious troubles. One of these is the wear of the piston group. In such cases, entrust to professionals, which will significantly reduce costs and extend the life of the tool.
From a technical point of view, trimmers can be classified as complex devices. Based on this, it is strongly recommended to carefully study the relevant instructions before using them. However, in practice, many ignore it, often later find themselves in situations where the gasoline trimmer does not start or picks up poorly during operation. It is worth noting that similar problems can be encountered when acquiring new models of equipment.
One of the most common causes of such symptoms is a long seasonal break in the operation of equipment. In addition, poor quality and untimely maintenance can lead to extremely negative consequences. It is important to remember that this is true both for the Chinese petrol cutter and for representatives of the lineup of famous brands.
The key to effective and prompt repair will, of course, be a competent diagnostics of the device. In the process of troubleshooting, you will have to inspect and test, first of all, key elements. The list of these includes candles, a tank, filter units and fuel system valves. As practice shows, very often malfunctions of these particular elements become the reason that the brushcutter does not start. The quality and correctness of the preparation of the fuel mixture deserves special attention, especially when it comes to two-stroke engines. With regard to this parameter, the manufacturer’s recommendations should be strictly followed in order to avoid serious breakdowns and costly repairs. In the case, for example, with a piston group of internal combustion engines, costs can be up to 70 percent of the cost of new technology.
Often, trimmer owners have to deal with situations when the specified mixture is of high quality, the carburetor is in good working order and configured, and the device still does not show signs of life when trying to start the engine. In such cases, you should check the condition of the candle. The following steps will troubleshoot the problem:
- turn out the candle;
- wipe and dry the part (annealing is undesirable);
- remove fuel and dry the spark plug channel for 30–40 minutes; such actions will avoid flooding the candle at the next start-up attempt;
- completely eliminate traces of carbon deposits using a file or sandpaper;
- set the appropriate gap;
- put the candle in place.
If the candle turns out to be working and the seat is completely dry, and the scythe engine does not start, then the threads should be moistened with gasoline. It is worth remembering that regardless of the quality of the spark that is emitted, initially there will be nothing to ignite in a completely dry chamber. Faced with the fact that the spark does not come, it is worth paying attention to checking the contact between the high-voltage wiring and the spark plugs. If this connection turns out to be of good quality, then it will be necessary to check the operability of the ignition system control unit. In such cases, it is unlikely that it will be possible to do without the services of a qualified specialist.
The next step in diagnosing a gasoline streamer will be to check the condition of the filters. Often, the brushcutter does not start well or does not start at all on a cold one due to the clogged air filter. You can identify this malfunction by excluding it from the system. If after that the braid starts up, then you will have to clean or change this element. Experienced users are strongly advised to periodically purge the air filter to maximize its useful life.
The described tool may also not start due to problems with the supply of gasoline caused by a dirty fuel filter. To quickly and effectively eliminate such a breakdown, you just need to replace the filter element with a new one. It is important to remember that the suction inlet must be equipped with a filter, which is provided by all instructions. Failure to comply with these rules and recommendations can lead to expensive piston repairs. In the process of diagnosing and finding the source of problems with starting the mower, attention should be paid to the breather, which is responsible for stabilizing the pressure equalization in the fuel tank. In addition, it is necessary to check the cleanliness of the exhaust port and the muffler mesh. As a rule, such problems are most often encountered when troubleshooting old models.
Recommendations for use
The stability of the operation of any brushcutter and the absence of problems with starting the power unit of such devices directly depend on the conditions in which the tool is used and the quality of maintenance. And we are talking about the following basic rules:
- in the process of work, it is necessary to pay special attention to the cooling system and other elements; it is strongly recommended to promptly and efficiently clean the channels located on the spit body and starter ribs;
- in the process of processing various elements, solvents, gasoline, kerosene and other effective means can be used;
- these works should be carried out after the power unit has completely cooled down;
- it is necessary to fully comply with all the rules specified in the relevant instructions drawn up by the developers of the described tool, which will avoid overloads in a warm engine, which in turn is the most common cause of serious damage;
- all fuel residues in the internal combustion engine should be completely drained before long breaks in the operation of the streamer; it should be borne in mind that the gasoline-oil mixture decomposes rather quickly into the so-called heavy fractions, which inevitably clog the carburetor;
- after removing the fuel, it is required to start the engine and let it run on XX until it stalls itself; in this way, the remaining mixture will be removed from the internal combustion engine in full.
what to do if your 2 cycle engine don’t start but you have spark, fuel and compression
Particular attention should be paid to preparing the instrument for long-term seasonal storage. This should be done to minimize the risk of problems with starting the engine. Competent preparation includes the following manipulations:
- completely disassemble the trimmer;
- thoroughly rinse and clean all elements to which there is access;
- inspect the parts of the petrol brush in order to identify defects (mechanical damage found in this case should be eliminated);
- pour engine oil into the gearbox;
- carry out high-quality cleaning from clogging of the air filter element;
- having the appropriate knowledge and practical skills, it is possible to perform partial disassembly of the power plant, followed by purging and lubrication of the moving elements;
- wrap the assembled gasoline braid with a pre-oiled rag.
How a primer bulb works – Purge Primer Bulb – HOW IT WORKS – (stihl chainsaw etc)
In addition to everything already listed, it is necessary to lubricate the piston group. This algorithm provides for the following simple manipulations:
- remove the candle;
- transfer the piston to top dead center (TDC) with the help of the starter;
- pour a small amount of engine oil into the cylinder;
- crank the crankshaft several times.
Regardless of the cost and brand of equipment, you should clearly follow all the requirements of the relevant instructions and adhere to the recommendations of developers and experienced specialists. Today, detailed information regarding the correct use of such equipment can be easily found on many specialized sites and forums.
It is important to remember that competent operation of the brushcutter and its timely maintenance (independent or in service) is a guarantee of the longest possible service life and minimum costs.
Next, watch a video on how to determine and eliminate the reason why the gasoline trimmer does not start.
Gasoline trimmer won’t start. reasons
Many gardening tools are useful and effective, but there are times when the equipment refuses to work. Among them was a trimmer that can mow both a miniature lawn and huge lawns.
Reasons why the petrol trimmer won’t start
There are various reasons why the petrol trimmer won’t start:
- The most common reason for a breakdown lies in the wrong choice of fuel. Often, overly economical users of the device fill the tank with something dubious, but not fuel with a normal octane number. Low-quality fuel that has been kept in a plastic canister for a long time has a terrifying effect. The device, which has lost its performance for this reason, is sent to a complete bulkhead of the mechanism.
- There is another common situation where the petrol trimmer starts and stalls. The problem could be the spark plug or air filter. In the first case, after inspection, it will be found that the candle is “thrown”. This happens even if it has been recently wiped and dried. If everything is in order with the candle, then it is worth inspecting the air filter. Most often, it turns out to be oiled and needs to be replaced. If the device still refuses to start, then the problem lies either in a faulty ignition coil or in a clogged muffler.
- The device can deteriorate not only due to poor-quality fuel, but also due to improper handling. For example, the fuel is checked, there is a spark, but the device will not start. The reason may be a candle filled with gasoline. To correct the situation, you just need to unscrew the candle, wipe it, dry it and check for operability.
- Sometimes there is such a situation. the gasoline trimmer does not start when the candle is dry. Then it is necessary to lubricate the threaded connection with gasoline. It should be slightly damp, otherwise nothing will catch on fire.
- Often the owners of the device find themselves in a situation where the gasoline trimmer does not start well when hot. Some experts claim that the problem lies in the ignition coil. Therefore, it must be changed, and the device will work. But the problem may be overheating of the engine, especially if a reinforced circular saw-type knife was attached to the device. To avoid such situations, you should carefully study the instructions, which specifically describe what types of discs can be installed.
The reasons when a new gasoline trimmer won’t start can be the most commonplace, for example, inability to use the device. If the user stores it correctly, uses high-quality fuel and does not leave gasoline in the trimmer, then the unit will serve faithfully for a long time.
Trimmer won’t start. Why?
A petrol trimmer is a surprisingly useful thing that can be used to tidy up not only a miniature lawn in the backyard of the house, but also mow a lawn of considerable size without any extra hassle. But, like all things in this world, it tends to break. In this article we will try to figure out what to do in cases where the trimmer refuses to work.
Troybilt 4cycle trimmer won’t start.
Trimmer won’t start after winter
How to be in such a situation? Don’t worry and panic. This is a very common problem that can be solved in just 3-4 minutes. Firstly, if last year’s fuel remains in the gas tank, then it must be drained. Gasoline loses its octave properties after 2 weeks of inactivity. Secondly, you need to start a petrol cutter after a long stagnation in a slightly different way. First you need to open the throttle and pump a little fuel mixture into the carburetor, then pull the handle until you feel a little resistance. After that, you can start the trimmer.
Petrol trimmer does not start well
So what if the petrol trimmer won’t start well or won’t start at all? The most common reason for such a breakdown is poor quality fuel. Remember that, for example, trimmers of the Shtil and Husqvarna brands are unlikely to start on fuel of a quality lower than AI-92. You should not save on fuel, because repair of parts of the cylinder-piston group can be one third of the total cost of the scythe, and sometimes even half. Also, when preparing the fuel mixture, it is necessary to correctly observe the proportions of fuel and oil, which are always indicated in the instructions for the trimmer.
What to do if high-quality fuel is poured into the gas tank, there is a spark, but the tool still refuses to start? It is necessary to check the condition of the candle. It is located in the center of the mower body. It must be carefully unscrewed and make sure there is no plaque on it. If there is, then carefully clean the candle from carbon deposits and dry it.
If the brushcutter does not start even after the methods suggested above, then you need to try to remove the air filter and start the device without it. If the trimmer still does not work, thoroughly dust the old filter or buy a new one.
It also happens that the mower works for a maximum of 5 minutes, and then stalls and does not start until it cools down. In this case, try opening the filler cap of the gasoline filler cap. a suction sound should appear. Then screw the cap back on. If you do this manipulation while the trimmer has just started to stall, then the speed will be restored, and you can continue to work. If the mower stalls before opening the lid, then you just need to start it as expected according to the instructions.
Trimmer starts and stalls
If, when you try to start the trimmer, it starts, but immediately stalls, then the air filter may again be the reason for this. It is necessary to remove it and check if it is clogged with dust. If this is true, then you need to thoroughly clean it or purchase a new one. Also, the problem may lie in the malfunction of the ignition coil. In this case, it is better to take the mower to a service center.
- About the service center
- Serviced brands
- Diagnostics and repair prices
- Spare parts
Repair and service of garden equipment.
Specialized service center “Agrotechservice”. comprehensive warranty and post-warranty maintenance of garden and municipal equipment from world manufacturers! We sell spare parts with delivery throughout Russia!
Trimmer won’t start
Like any technique, trimmers are susceptible to various breakdowns. Often at the beginning of the summer season, the owners of such a tool complain that the trimmer does not start, and you have to look for the cause of the malfunction for a long time.
For those who have recently purchased a trimmer and are still “you” with this technique, it will be useful to know why the trimmer does not start and what to do in this case. So let’s find out what might be causing this.
Petrol trimmer won’t start. 10 possible reasons
Before attempting to adjust the operation of the instrument yourself, carefully study the instruction manual for its operation. Perhaps the information contained in it will push you to one or another thought. Otherwise, you will have to look for the cause of the malfunction by the selection method. It can be one of the following:
- The toggle switch on the boom is not in the “On” position. This is one of the basic steps, but sometimes beginners forget to turn on the tool before launching it.
- Lack of fuel in the tank also belongs to such errors. If you run out of fuel and you forgot about it, just fill the tank (usually located near the engine) with AI-92 gasoline.
- Lack, inappropriate mixture or proportion of engine oil. Ideally, no more than 50 g of oil should be added regularly. This will provide additional lubrication and keep your trimmer motor running. Also keep in mind that there are different types of oil (“synthetics”, “semisynthetics”, “mineral water”). they all have a different effect on the operation of the mechanism.
- If the trimmer mower does not start after winter, drain the remaining fuel in the gas tank and replace it with fresh fuel. This is especially true for small, low power trimmers with small motors that are sensitive to poor quality mix. In addition, during the winter, sediment may form at the bottom of the gas tank, due to which problems arise with the operation of the device.
- Excessive fuel pumping can also be one of the reasons that the trimmer stalled and will not start. When the air damper is closed, the spark plug is flooded with fuel. It should be unscrewed and dried, and then inserted into its place and try to start the engine while holding the gas trigger. It is advisable to check it before that there is a spark between the electrodes. If there is no spark, the spark plug should be replaced.
- Filter problems. If your trimmer does not start well, remove the air filter and start the tool without it. If everything worked out, the filter should be replaced with a new one. As an option. thoroughly clean and blow out the old one, however, sooner or later you will have to make a replacement.
- Trimmer stalled and won’t start? Try to clean the so-called breather. an element designed to equalize the pressure in the gas tank. Cleaning can be done with a regular long needle. A clogged breather is often the cause of a malfunction.
- The knives have been removed from the machine. some models will not work under this condition.
- Violation of tightness. You can check this with a pressure gauge. If the pressure starts to drop, you should determine which part of the carburetor is faulty. Most often the carburetor gasket wears out.
- Sometimes, after a long period of operation, you will notice that the trimmer is overheated and will not start. First, you should know to take breaks. The amount of continuous operation time recommended for this model should be indicated in the instructions. Also, the problem of overheating may lie in a faulty ignition coil or in the air cooling system, which prevents overheating.
If none of these steps worked, you should contact a repair shop or service center.
Why the petrol trimmer won’t start?
The owner of a summer cottage cannot do without a petrol cutter or trimmer. But during its operation, situations may arise when this unit for some reason stops starting. And there can be many reasons for this. Let’s find out why the petrol trimmer won’t start.
Why the trimmer won’t start. reasons
To determine why the gasoline trimmer does not start well or stalls constantly, it is necessary to consistently check the operation of all the main components of the unit. It is especially important to do this after long-term storage of the brushcutter. So, the main reasons for this behavior of the trimmer are as follows:
- The culprit for the fact that the petrol brush does not start may be a poor-quality oil-gasoline fuel mixture. It must be cooked strictly according to the instructions. Saving is not at all appropriate here, since it can lead to the failure of the entire piston group of the trimmer. Do not prepare too much fuel mixture, as excess gasoline will lose its quality over time.
- You should be aware that petrol trimmers of brands such as Stihl, Husgvarna and some others will not start if they are filled with cheap petrol with a low octane number. Therefore, for such units it is necessary to use only high-quality high-octane fuel.
- If the trimmer stalls immediately upon start-up, then it may have a flooded candle. In this case, you need to unscrew it and dry it thoroughly for half an hour. Then drain the excess fuel in the chamber, clean the spark plug from carbon deposits, put it back in place and try to start the petrol cutter.
- If your new gasoline trimmer won’t start, there may be a lack of spark. And this happens because the socket where the candle is located is dry and the fuel does not ignite. Lightly moisten the thread of the spark plug with a few drops of gasoline.
- The gasoline trimmer may stall due to clogged air or fuel filters. It is best to replace such elements with new ones.
- The exhaust port and breather can also become clogged. Having cleaned these trimmer elements, it will be possible to start the unit without any problems.
- Another reason why the petrol trimmer won’t start, even when there is a spark, may be a clogged carburetor. To clean the channels and nozzles, it is necessary to blow them with compressed air using a compressor. Can be used to clean the carburetor and special rinse.
- If the carburetor gaskets are worn out, replace them. And if the tightness of this device is broken, you will have to identify the faulty carburetor part and replace it.
- The trimmer may not start due to wear on the piston group. However, it is better to change such parts of petrol cutters in a service center.
The reason that the trimmer has significantly lost power, and when trying to increase engine speed, it picks up slowly, is often a clogged exhaust channel through which exhaust gases come out of the combustion chamber.
It is necessary to remove the muffler so that no burns get into the cylinder. Next, clean the exhaust channel from carbon deposits.
This must be done very carefully, avoiding the ingress of carbon deposits into the combustion chamber.
After this procedure, the weak power of the unit and a slow increase in the speed of rotation of the mowing head will no longer upset you.
If your petrol brushes start poorly or immediately stalls after starting, you should pay attention to the air filter, as it can be clogged, as a result of which air does not enter the combustion chamber and the fuel does not ignite. To check if the filter has a case, remove it and try starting the engine. If it works, then the reason has been found. The filter needs to be replaced or well rinsed and dried before installation. In the event that you find oil in the air filter, it must be washed with gasoline, squeezed well and dried for at least 2 hours before reinstalling.
If, however, with the air filter removed, the unit still does not start, then it is recommended to check the fuel filter.
The main malfunctions of gasoline and electric trimmers
With petrol cutters and electric trimmers, if you do not consider the breakdowns associated with the boom and the mowing head, malfunctions mainly occur in the engine area.
Fuel tank (fuel quality)
Remember that it is always necessary to check the availability and quality of fuel before starting the unit. In this case, you should not be greedy and save, as well as “be smart” about the amount of added oil. Everything must be done according to the manual attached to the device, since if the piston group fails, its replacement will cost about 70% of the total cost of the trimmer. Fill in fuel on the basis that you will completely use it up when performing work. The gasoline remaining in the tank loses its properties after a while and can harm the engine. Therefore, do not prepare the mixture for future use and in large quantities. If the brushcutter does not start well, try to drain the “old” fuel from the tank and fill it with freshly prepared mixture.
Important! Filling the device with fuel, the origin of which is unknown, is fraught with negative consequences. Gasoline must be of high quality, purchased at a gas station, and its brand must be at least AI-95.
Why the petrol trimmer won’t start
The reasons why the petrol trimmer stopped starting may be different, so a step-by-step diagnosis of the device is required.
Candle and candle channel
So you’ve changed the fuel, but nothing has changed, and the trimmer still won’t start. In this case, it is worth checking the candle channel: does it cover it with a combustible mixture. Often, users turn the choke to the “OFF” position at start-up, and when the engine starts, they do not turn it to the “ON” position, after which it stalls. Further, an attempt to restart the internal combustion engine leads to the fact that gasoline fills the candle, and the start becomes impossible. To diagnose and fix a possible problem in this node, do the following.
- It is necessary to unscrew the spark plug, wipe it well and dry it. When installing the spark plug into the internal combustion engine cylinder, it must be dry.
- Drain the accumulated fuel from the combustion chamber. This is done through the hole from which you unscrewed the candle.
- If there is carbon deposits on the electrodes of the candle, it must be removed either with a thin file or with a nail file.
- Do not forget to set the gap between its electrodes before installing the part. The gap on the spark plug should be 1 mm. You can use a coin as a probe to check the gap.
- Next, assemble the unit, read the starting instructions and try to start the engine again.
If the internal combustion engine does not start, then you will need to check the spark. For this:
- unscrew the candle;
- put the cap of the high-voltage wire on it;
- touch its metal part to the cylinder body (to ensure contact, you can insert a pipe wrench) as shown in the figure below;
- pull the starter cord until the engine rotates a few times.
Normally, every time the piston moves between the electrodes of the plug, a spark should slip. If there is a spark, then the reason that the internal combustion engine does not start must be looked for in other nodes of the device.
For a better understanding of the process of how to test a spark plug for the presence of a spark, you can use this video, where the test is shown using the example of the Soyuz petrol cutter.
If there is no spark, then first check the cable connecting the candle to the coil. perhaps the reason is in it. You can call him using a tester. If an open circuit is detected, the high-voltage wire will need to be replaced.
Also, the reason for the missing spark may be a malfunction of the ignition coil (magneto). The picture below shows what the coil (magneto) looks like from a Patriot petrol trimmer.
To exclude a malfunction, you will need to check the trimmer magneto with a tester, namely, its primary and secondary windings. On the primary winding, the resistance should be between 0.4 and 2.0 ohms. If the device shows 0, this means that a short circuit has occurred in the winding, and if infinity is a clear sign of an open circuit. The resistance on the secondary winding must be between 6 and 8 kOhm.
On some coils, it can reach 15 kOhm.
This filter removes possible contaminants from the fuel. If it is clogged, then gasoline does not enter the cylinder, and, accordingly, the unit does not work or stalls after starting. The fuel filter is located at the end of the intake hose, which is inside the fuel tank. To get to the filter, you need to remove the plug with the tubes coming out of it.
When removing the plug, the suction hose may come off and remain in the reservoir. It is removed with tweezers.
Place the intake tube on the plug and insert the latter into the tank.
It should be noted that on some trimmer models, the intake hose is not located on the plug, but inside the tank. You can remove it using tweezers or a hook bent from a wire.
If the compression is insufficient, then in most cases it will not work to start the engine. You can use a car compression gauge to check the compression.
- Unscrew the spark plug from the engine cylinder.
- Screw in a compression gauge in its place.
- Start pulling the starting cord as you would when starting the brushcutter. Do this until the arrow on the measuring device stops moving upward. This value will show the compression force of this engine.
What kind of compression should be? Normally, the compression should be at least 8 kg / cm 2. Although even at 8 kg / cm 2, some engines do not idle and stall, since the fuel is not pumped up sufficiently. If your mower does not pump above 8 kg / cm 2.then you have to check the cylinder, piston and rings.
Also, poor compression can be due to a loosely screwed carburetor. Check if he is wobbling. If so, tighten the hardware that holds it securely. Also, if the carburetor is poorly screwed on, you may notice that gasoline drips during operation.