Segmented dry cutters
Segmented discs received the common name “dry cutters” for their ability to cut material dry, that is, without water cooling. The circle is divided into segments by radial cutouts, which provide efficient heat dissipation and free expansion of the metal when heated. Due to this, the time of continuous operation reaches 1 minute, after which they pause for 20 – 30 seconds. the angle grinder is not turned off for this time – the disc rotates at idle for the purpose of cooling.
The disadvantage is low cut quality, a large number of chips. If the trimmed edge of the tile will remain visible, the cutting is carried out with a margin of 3 – 5 mm and then the edge is trimmed with a grinding wheel.
If everything is ready, you can get to work. the cutting line must be marked with a marker, after which the tile is laid on a table or stool so that the marking is entirely above the supporting surface. Exactly along the mowing line of the cut, a corner is applied from above, the vertical shelf of which should be turned towards the trimming. On both sides, the corner is pressed with clamps to the edge of the table, thus, the porcelain stoneware will be securely fixed, and the outer side of the shelf will act as a guide for making a direct cut.
Do not forget about safety precautions: it is strictly necessary to use protective glasses, gloves and earplugs. When the angle grinder is switched on, hold it in such a way that the disc is almost parallel to the angle shelf. deviating from its edge by 1–2 mm and adjoining closely at the bottom. A thin groove is applied to the surface of the porcelain stoneware by moving towards oneself. There is no need to apply strong pressure, just scratch the surface a little. After this, the cutting line should be slightly sprinkled with water and again make a shallow cut with a movement towards you.
This must be repeated over and over again, carefully making sure that there is always water in the cut. When the tile is cut to 2/3 of the thickness, you need to remove the clamps and remove the corner. The tile should be positioned at the edge of the table, trimmed until a gap is formed, and then lightly hit with the palm of the hand on the part to be cut. If the cut is narrow, you can break it off with pliers..
With this technique, cutting porcelain stoneware creates a clean and straight top edge, but chips may form at the bottom of the trim end. To remove them, the tiles must be turned upside down and laid on the table so that they hang slightly over the edge. After that, with the same diamond disc, you should gradually grind the edge, while wetting the edge is not necessary.
Is it possible to cut tiles with a disc for metal
Every master who is engaged in wall cladding with ceramic tiles knows that it is impossible to lay them without cutting. This is true both for wall cladding and for laying porcelain stoneware on the floor. But not everyone knows that a regular angle grinder (angle grinder) can be used for trimming. Let’s consider how to perform this operation correctly and without chips..
Sawing paving stones with an angle grinder
Having a private house, it becomes necessary to lay paving slabs or paving stones, which must be cut to size. For this, a universal device is also used, which is available in almost every home – an angle grinder.
Paving stone processing has its own characteristics, but basically it is carried out in the same way as cutting porcelain stoneware. The main differences are that the work is done outdoors. Material processing should be carried out on a separate site: the resulting dust settles on the laid paving stones and can spoil its appearance. If this happens, you should immediately sweep it off with a stiff brush..
To cut the paving stones, choose a diamond blade for concrete processing. The angle grinder should be held at right angles to the workpiece and the diamond wheel should be moved exactly along the mowing line. It is necessary to cut the tiles to a depth of a little more than half, and then simply break and trim.
When cutting tiles along a curved path, such as a semicircular for a pipe, the angle grinder makes a series of short cuts along the drawn mowing line with allowance for trimming. Next, remove excess material with nippers, a grinding nozzle or sandpaper on a bar.
What disc to cut ceramic tiles angle grinder
Different discs for an angle grinder are oriented to work with one or another material. Several types can be used for tile cutting. Let’s consider them in detail.
Angle 45 0
Docking is often necessary, which means cutting the material at an angle of forty-five degrees. This angle can only be obtained with a large workout. But you can use this technique: first, cut the workpiece in a straight line, and then gently process the edge at the desired angle with a disc, sandpaper or sharpening stone.
This variety has the lowest cost, but it has two drawbacks: the discs wear out quickly and have a significant thickness, as a result of which the cut is wide.
For this reason, stone discs are relatively rarely used..
How to cut an angle grinder correctly?
After a suitable nozzle has been selected, the workplace has been cleaned and all the necessary safety operations have been performed, you can start the work itself. Knowing exactly how to cut an angle grinder is important here..
To avoid injury and damage to the instrument itself, it is enough to follow simple rules:
- Please note that the line of the cut itself should not rest against the master, but pass by him. If the disc sticks, the jet motion of the angle grinder will pass it;
- Pay attention to the position of the protective cover – it will provide reliable protection if it is between the circle and the master;
- Do not apply force to the tool. the angle grinder will do the job on its own, you just have to hold it and direct it in the right direction. Excessive force will only lead to a skewed circle;
- Never turn on your clipper if the blade is still in the cut;
- You need to start cutting profiles at the place where the cross section is smallest;
- When working with stone, concrete or tiles, dust naturally occurs, from which it is extremely important to protect the respiratory system. You can use special covers with nozzles for a vacuum cleaner or simply suppress the dust with water;
- Be especially careful when cutting the walls – fittings, pipes, cables and other elements can get under the circle, which will lead to a reverse impact.
Remember that before cutting and sawing an angle grinder, you should familiarize yourself with the characteristics of the tool itself and the working material..
How to cut an angle grinder metal
Cutting metal with an angle grinder is a rather complicated process. Approach him competently.
The working wheel should be selected depending on the thickness of the sheet metal. You will also need to choose a rotation speed that is optimal for the job, and cut strictly according to the drawn lines. Approaching the end of the tile, sink the angle grinder a little so that the cut border does not have a bevel.
You can start the process of cutting corrugated board completely from any edge. If necessary, the cut can also be started from the middle. The only caveat here concerns thin metal – when cutting it, a ragged cut is formed on the back side. To avoid injury and to ensure cleanliness, it is recommended to grind such a cut.
Not sure how to cut pipe angle grinder? Any metal pipe is equal to a sheet of metal and does not require additional skills. The whole difference here lies only in the shape of the product itself..
Cutting reinforced concrete can cause some difficulty. It’s almost the same as cutting metal though. A diamond disc is suitable for these purposes. A little advice – start cutting at a depth of about 1 cm. If there are no problems with your angle grinder, continue the operation. The depth of each subsequent cut should be no more than 1.5 cm.
Features angle grinder Dnipro-M
Angle grinders manufactured by Dnipro-M have increased safety measures. By purchasing a branded angle grinder, you can be sure of their quality.
- during long-term operation, the device’s power button is automatically locked;
- elimination of vibration from uneven wear of the disc due to its balancing;
- auto shutdown of the engine in case of power surges or surges;
- engine cooling function;
- almost instantaneous shutdown of the angle grinder in case of jamming of the device;
- dust extraction system.
In addition, it will not be superfluous to highlight such features of the Dnipro-M angle grinder as: a rubberized handle, which is very conveniently located, additional engine protection by means of a triple varnish coating, as well as low weight and ergonomic design of each presented model.
How to cut tiles, ceramics, granite, tiles
A feature of these materials is a large amount of dust and the possibility of chips during the cutting process. It is important here to approach the preparatory process correctly. If it is impossible to avoid the formation of dust, then it is quite possible to reduce the risk of chips to a minimum..
In order to avoid chipping during the cutting of tiles, it must be moistened with water. This step in time lowers the temperature of the material, which is the main cause of destruction. It will also allow not only cutting the tiles without chips, but also cutting out the necessary fragments. Approximately according to this principle, tiles are cut..
Which angle grinder blade / disk for concrete, plastic, tiles and metal
There is also an alternative way. In this case, you will need to operate the stone cut-off wheel. The use of such a circle practically eliminates the formation of cracks and chips..
Cutting porcelain stoneware is more difficult, as this material is thicker and stronger. The best solution in this case would be to use a stone circle:
- make a contour cut along the contour mower line. Then again, until the not cut thickness of the product becomes less than the cut;
- slide the product to the edge of the table;
- break the porcelain stoneware tiles with a sharp but not violent movement.
Cut off, clean up, grind. how to work properly with an angle grinder
An angle grinder (angle grinder), also known as an “angle grinder”, is an effective but extremely traumatic tool. The use of this machine inappropriately enough often leads to various types of injury, damage and injury, in some cases fatal. In most cases, such injuries are inflicted on themselves by non-professionals who for the first time hold such a tool in their hands and have an idea of its work only in words. That is why it is of great importance to study safety precautions, operating rules and the use of protection while working with an angle grinder..
In order not to get lost among the many “empty” tips and unnecessary recommendations, choose only the right sources of information. How to use an angle grinder correctly, what protection to use and much more you will learn just by reading this article..
What can you grind an angle grinder
Despite the fact that the angle grinder is primarily intended for grinding, it must be prepared separately for each operation. A support wheel mounted on the tool shaft contributes significantly to correct and safe work.
To process wood, an emery wheel must be glued onto the platter. Sandpaper is selected for the material purely individually. This is done by the number of the paper itself. The modern assortment makes it easy to find a circle of the required diameter and size. An additional convenience is the presence of Velcro on the emery wheel, which allows you to quickly change them to an angle grinder.
Thanks to the angle grinder, light sanding of concrete has become possible. For this purpose, it is recommended to purchase a protective cover. He will protect the master from flying dust. Also, such a casing has a branch pipe for connecting a vacuum cleaner.
For grinding metals, a standard metal grinding wheel is perfect. Such a nozzle has different diameters, thicknesses and different grains of the grinding surface. Note that if you are planning to sand a really rusted surface, then first you should go over it with a metal brush..
What you can do an angle grinder and where to start
Such a tool allows you to confidently cut, grind, clean and polish many well-known materials, such as concrete and tiles, metal and wood, brick and others. At the same time, for each specific type of work, a special replaceable nozzle will be required. In some cases, such a tool can be used for other purposes, such as cutting an angle glass grinder or sharpening cutting surfaces (knives, drills, etc.).
This power tool is indispensable in the process of construction or repair work. It is actively used in car repair shops, utilities, during rescue operations and in other areas of our life. In other words, the angle grinder is widely used in industry and in everyday life..
The very work of an angle grinder is a hazardous operation. Before starting it, it is important to prepare the instrument itself. In this case, the choice of the nozzle plays a special role. It is important to consider the following points here:
- The diameter of the saw blade – the smaller its value, the greater the rotational speed, which means that it is able to withstand a greater number of revolutions;
- Working material directly affects the choice of consumables. For example, for metal pipes, an abrasive disc, and concrete. diamond;
- Study the symbols and markings of such consumable carefully. This will allow you to understand if the given attachment is suitable for the intended operation..
Types of attachments for an angle grinder
Angle grinder discs are widely used in different operations and must be changed for different materials. Moreover, each of them has unique properties and design. That is why it is so important to choose the right consumable for your angle grinder..
Depending on the purpose, they are:
- detachable – for cutting or sawing materials;
- saws – for cutting various wood products;
- roughing – for grinding metal, concrete and wood blanks;
- stripping – for removing rust from metal surfaces and removing other types of stubborn dirt.
Flap discs are among the most common types of scraper discs. Such tools are suitable for processing materials from metal, plastic and wood..
Attaching the accessory to the angle grinder
- Disconnect the tool from the mains and jam the rotation shaft with the attachment by means of a special button;
- The lock nut must be unscrewed. To do this, use a key with two projections;
- Remove the old drive. After that, a new one can be installed on the mounting flange;
- Screw in and secure the lock nut with a wrench.
Things to Consider When Cutting
Cutting paving slabs, in essence, consists in processing a concrete product with a thickness of 2 to 8 centimeters in such a way as to end up with an element of the desired size and shape without damaging it and making neat edges. You can saw the tiles in different directions: across or along, diagonally or figured.
We must not forget that concrete has a rather dense structure due to the peculiarities of the manufacture of tiles by vibrocompression and the introduction of crushed granite into the material. Therefore, all work must be carried out with a special tool, accurately and correctly..
The main stages of tile cutting:
- Careful product marking
- Cutting by the selected method
- Accurate processing of the cut
The complexity of the cutting work and their volume depend on the pattern being created, the shape of the tile itself. Rectangular and square elements are simply cut across the markings. But when creating ornaments from tiles of complex shapes, different colors, you will need to apply certain efforts, because here you need to achieve the maximum clarity of the cut.
The cutting tool in the angle grinder is a diamond disc with a maximum diameter of 23 centimeters. The power of the tool must be 2 kW or more.
Paving slab cutting process angle grinder:
- Strong fixation of the element.
- Cutting along the marked mowing line, occasional sprinkling with a small amount of sand is allowed to facilitate the process. It is desirable that the rotational speed of the disk is a maximum of 3500 revolutions per minute. During cutting, they move away from themselves, making sure that the cutting depth along the edges is greater than in the middle of the element.
- When working with an angle grinder, it is forbidden: to hold the tiles in a canopy without reliable fixation (it is best to fasten on a hard, even and stable surface with a clamp), to work without the use of personal protective equipment, to cut with a tool with any damage, worn out parts, etc..
To cut off the desired part of the paving slabs, you need to stock up with a whole set of tools. Especially if the installation of a covering of a large area is being carried out and concrete elements will have to be cut in considerable volumes.
What you need to cut tiles:
- Guillotine knife or special electric circular saw
- angle grinder with diamond / grinding disc
- Hacksaw for metal
- Metal ruler
- Regular (but better construction) pencil
Depending on the tasks and features of the material, the set of tools may vary, but the main points look exactly like this.
Before cutting the paving slabs, you need to carry out a number of preparatory work.
Which Cut-Off Blade is Best? Diamond or Abrasive
Before you start cutting the tiles:
- Find a comfortable, spacious and remote place from the warehouse or object.
- Carry out all measurements and calculations, mark the material using a protractor, ruler, pencil, etc. When installing ordinary tiles, all the markings are performed during preparation, when the drawing is created, the markings are made in fact, as the finished elements fit to each other on the canvas … When marking, you need to remember about a technological gap of 3-5 millimeters, which ensures easy installation of the tile in the place allotted to it, without the need to clog elements and cracks.
- The equipment for cutting, the availability of replacement parts, consumables are checked.
- Personal protective equipment is being prepared – clothes, gloves, glasses, respirator.
If necessary, you can use not only an angle grinder or a tile cutting machine, but also various mechanisms and tools. So, there are special gasoline / electric concrete saws. They cut on the same principle as the disc of an angle grinder, but equipped with a special stacking table for secure fixation of the element.
How the saw works:
- Installation of tiles between supports, neat and secure fixation. First, you need to make sure that the size of the supports is equal to the dimensions of the tiles..
- Turning on the saw and waiting for speed.
- Gradual lowering of the blade onto the workpiece, at the moment of contact, you need to carefully, but press the handle with effort and the sawing process will begin.
- Turning off the saw after the cut is completed, waiting for the cutting blade to stop completely, returning the handle to its original position.
- In the process of work, you periodically need to look at the condition of the disc – if it is dull, the cutting productivity will greatly decrease and sparks will appear that can injure the master.
Tile cutting methods
Regardless of which cutting method is chosen, all work must be performed with serviceable equipment, observing safety measures, accurately and clearly. Cutting is carried out along the intended mowing line, after the tiles are fixed as tightly as possible. Most often, an angle grinder or a guillotine is used for cutting, you can also choose a hacksaw for metal (for minimum volumes) or a special electric tool.
Application of the guillotine
The guillotine knife is a special machine specifically for cutting paving slabs, which is a laying table equipped with handles, guides and, in fact, a knife. The main advantage of this cutting method is the absence of dust during work and the ability to process large volumes of material..
How to cut tiles with a guillotine knife:
- Placing tiles in the gap formed by the table and knives.
- Bringing the knife into operation with the handle – the tool is lowered and, under the influence of its weight and high speed, breaks off a piece from the tile in the right place. During work, it is important that pressure is applied to the entire handle (not to the end), as otherwise the element can be damaged and injured due to unexpected tile splitting.
- It is important to monitor the sharpness of the knife – if it is dull, it will overheat, periodically get stuck in the cut, and undergo deformations. Sharpening is needed when visible traces of burns and ugly yellow spots remain on the cut tile, and the cut is very rough.