Cordless screwdriver or screwdriver – which of the 2 is better and what is the difference?
Looking to add to your arsenal of tools, but not sure which to choose – a cordless screwdriver or a screwdriver? Look for the answer to this question in the text of the article.
Cordless screwdriver or screwdriver – which of the 2 is better and what is the difference?
The difficulty in choosing a power tool for the home lies in the fact that in the abundance of options on the market, you can easily get confused and lost. In addition, it is not always obvious which solution is more rational – universal or highly specialized. So, in the case of a screwdriver and an electric screwdriver, making the right choice is difficult enough, since each tool has a number of advantages.
Main features of the screwdriver
First of all, it should be noted that the electric screwdriver is not a universal, but a narrow-profile tool. It is designed to work with screws and pre-drilled holes. Accordingly, the design features of this device are significantly different from the classic screwdriver.
Firstly, power indicators are practically not important for a screwdriver – its efficiency is achieved, rather, due to the intensity of rotation of the base. An indicative parameter is the number of rotations per unit of time. On average, a screwdriver makes about 200 revolutions per minute – for comparison, even the "weakest" screwdriver boasts at least 2 times higher rotation speed.
Since the screwdriver is lightweight, it is much easier to hold it in your hand. This fact explains the lack of a volumetric rubberized handle, like a screwdriver.
The basic set of cordless screwdrivers, as a rule, includes sets of bits – interchangeable devices that are used to tighten screws of a certain type.
Such screwdrivers work on the basis of built-in batteries, and can be recharged directly during operation – by installing on a special stand.
Cordless screwdrivers used:
- For assembling furniture;
- In the process of researching household appliances for faults;
- During finishing work.
Secrets to Choosing a Successful Cordless Screwdriver
So, in order for the cordless screwdriver to really benefit, and not to dust aimlessly at the bottom of the toolbox, due attention should be paid to the selection process. It is important to consider the following characteristics:
- Handle shape. As a rule, household models of cordless screwdrivers have a pistol form factor and fit easily into the hand. For serious tasks at a professional level, it is better to give preference to models with a T-handle. However, the most versatile solution is screwdrivers, the shape of the handle of which can be modeled independently, depending on the operating conditions.
- Manufacturer. It’s not even the brand itself that matters, but the build quality. Accordingly, before giving preference to products of a specific brand, it is better to familiarize yourself with the information on the location of production facilities.
- The functionality of the screwdriver is also important. The priority is the models with backlighting, various indicators and protective mechanisms.
- Number of bits. It all depends on the purpose of use – in some cases it is quite possible to get by with the minimum set, so you should not overpay for unnecessary items of the complete set.
- Basic configuration. The certificate of the high quality of the screwdriver is the presence of an instruction manual, a protective case and extended bits as standard.
- Battery type. This parameter is also directly related to the operating conditions, since, for example, lithium-ion batteries cannot stand the cold, while nickel-cadmium batteries work well at negative temperatures.
An unequivocal conclusion that it is better – a screwdriver or a cordless screwdriver – cannot be made, since these tools, although somewhat similar, have completely different operational properties.
Cordless screwdriver device
The device has a simple structure and consists of several parts:
- On / off buttons;
- Electric motor;
- Spindle and tip;
- Storage battery;
- Charge indicator.
The operation of this device looks like this: electricity from the battery goes to the electric motor, which starts to rotate. This rotation goes first to the gearbox and then to the spindle.
Types of cordless screwdrivers
By the shape of the handle, tools can be divided into three types, which have both their advantages and disadvantages:
- Pistol (L-shaped position) – the most popular and convenient option;
- Screwdriver (straight position) – looks like a regular screwdriver, but has a thicker handle;
- T-shaped position – ease of use even with a discharged battery;
- Universal – many manufacturers make a tool with a variable configuration, that is, with the ability to change the position from direct to pistol.
How to choose a cordless screwdriver
When choosing this tool, the main criteria are:
- Type of battery;
- Shape and material of the handle;
- The presence of attachments in the set.
The shape of the handle is selected individually due to the anatomical features of the hands of each person. Therefore, it is advisable to hold the instrument in your hands when buying, and even better to test it when buying. It is also important that the material is of high quality. For convenience, it can be equipped with LED lighting.
The attachments in the set also affect the functionality of the tool, while the quantity depends only on the manufacturer – there are no specific rules here. As a rule, one standard set of bits is sufficient for domestic use.
Also, in order to make the right choice "The best cordless screwdriver", you need to pay attention to the following parameters:
- Price – as a rule, a relatively inexpensive tool is of poor quality and, accordingly, will not last long;
- Manufacturer – products of well-known brands often speak of good quality, but this rule does not always apply;
- Additional functions – for example, adjusting the rotation of revolutions, etc ;
- Battery performance.
What is the difference between a screwdriver and a screwdriver?
Modern manufacturers of cordless tools offer a very rich assortment of products that are similar in functionality and purpose. But this does not mean that they can always replace each other. A striking example of this. Electric screwdriver and screwdriver. Please note that a screwdriver can replace a screwdriver, but on the contrary, it will not work. But you should not consider it a useless thing, because everything has its own purpose and scope.
Agree that the first thing that catches your eye is the difference in size. Electric screwdrivers are small, some models even fit in a pocket. But this is only a visual difference from a screwdriver. In fact, it is more expedient to judge by technical characteristics. Consider the main ones.
- Power (torque generated by the gearbox)
If you take cordless screwdrivers that are excellent at drilling and twisting fasteners into any material, power is the main indicator of their work. The opposite is true for cordless screwdrivers. Drilling is possible only in certain models, and that is ineffective, since the speed is low, and the torque is low. There is hope that it will turn out to tighten the long fasteners, but this will be an isolated case, after which the battery energy will be running out.
- Battery capacity
It makes no sense to use large-capacity batteries in tools for household use or small-scale production. Rather, it is needed for screwdrivers that are designed for large volumes of work. In electric screwdrivers, the batteries are much weaker, they function for a short time, because in most models the battery itself is built into the case, and for small dimensions, light weight and ease of use, the volume of the tool. Extremely important element. There are, of course, professional series with replaceable batteries, but for the price they are expensive for the average consumer.
The cordless screwdriver is equipped with a tool bore with a hex shank. Due to this, it becomes impractical to use it as a drill. A self-clamping chuck is installed on screwdrivers with a drilling function, which allows you to fix an expanded range of nozzles.
So, having analyzed the differences in the main characteristics, I want to remind you that this is information against the background of comparison with a screwdriver. And, if you compare him, for example, with a powerful drill, he will also lose. You need to understand that when the tool is used for its intended purpose, it does an excellent job with the functions assigned to it.
I propose to clearly define the advantages of an electric screwdriver:
- Compact dimensions;
- A light weight;
- Most of the products are equipped with modern lithium-ion batteries;
- The ability to work comfortably in hard-to-reach places;
- Narrow specialization, which significantly increases the efficiency of each model;
- Affordable price.
Choosing a cordless screwdriver or what you need to know before buying
Author: Alexey Ryndya
Category expert "Power tool"
Cordless screwdriver – a hand tool designed for screwing in and out of fasteners (screws, screws, self-tapping screws). It is a compact, lightweight, easy-to-use assistant for solving simple tasks around the house or in a professional environment. A definite plus. Affordable cost of most models with good functionality.
After reading the article to the end, you will have a clear understanding of what types of electric screwdrivers exist, what are their features, and, finally, you can decide which option is better to choose specifically for your purposes.
How to choose the right cordless screwdriver?
The operation of this tool is directly dependent on the battery. On the one hand, this guarantees mobility. And on the other. It does not last very long, and when the battery runs out, it needs to be recharged or fully charged. This option is only possible with a power supply. It turns out that there is a dependence on the energy supply and the power supply point. It will take 3-6 hours to fully charge (for household series) and up to 1 hour (for professional class). Rational decision. Purchase a model with a quick battery change option. These are devices with the AAA battery type, allowing the use of simple finger-type batteries for replacement, but functioning for a shorter time.
Only advanced professional-grade tools come with replaceable batteries and quick-charge chargers. They are considered ideal for long-term work. Do you want to purchase such an assistant? Then be prepared to spend money, since the price for it is not the lowest.
Choosing a cordless screwdriver is not difficult if you clearly understand where and how you plan to use it. As for the class of the product, everything is clear: household ones are used to solve household tasks, and professional ones are useful to builders, installers, carpenters, furniture makers, car mechanics. Feasibility of buying a professional device for home use. The decision is individual.
Advice! Don’t go after the cheapest or the most expensive. Choose the middle ground, it will be the best combination of functionality and price.
What else is worth paying attention to? I propose to analyze the main selection criteria regarding functionality.
- Battery type. They are divided into nickel-cadmium and lithium-ion batteries. efficient, of course, is Li-ion. They function more hardy, withstand more discharge-charge cycles, and are durable. Minus: nickel-cadmium do not tolerate low temperatures. Consider this nuance when buying;
- The number of revolutions. One of the main parameters indicating device performance. It’s good when you can adjust the bit rotation speed;
- Number of speeds. If there are two of them, then the first is usually designed for tightening fasteners, and the second can be drilled;
- Torque. Are you planning to work with hard materials? Then choose a tool with a high torque. The more adjustment variations the better;
- Reverse run. Allows you to turn the fasteners in the opposite direction. Not every cordless screwdriver has this option;
- Hull design. The advantage will be an adjustable handle that can be set straight or at an angle. Thanks to this, it is comfortable to work with the device along the edges, as well as in areas with difficult access;
- Sophisticated ergonomics, easy handling. The electric screwdriver should fit comfortably in your hand. It is desirable to have rubberized inserts. An intuitive level of understanding of the controls is encouraged. All elements should be located within easy reach.
The higher the characteristics, the wider the functionality, but still you should not expect that the electric screwdriver will surpass its purpose. Drilling hard materials, tightening long self-tapping screws, working with metal will be very problematic for her. Or the battery will run out quickly or you will purposefully kill the tool. If so, I would recommend that you consider a cordless drill / screwdriver.
Summing up, I would like to note that there is nothing difficult in choosing a suitable helper for screwdriver work. To quickly and easily decide, follow the simple guidelines in this article. I also recommend that you familiarize yourself with the TOP-5 rating of cordless screwdrivers on the S Torgom website. It contains popular models based on sales results and customer loyalty, as well as the ratio of quality, functionality, price.
Voltage and other parameters
For an ordinary buyer of a screwdriver, it is enough to know:
- For household appliances, the voltage ranges from 10-14 V;
- For professional, the indicator should be higher – from 18 V. Some instruments boast a level of 36 V.
The next characteristic is power. The parameter informs the user about the speed of the device. It is logical that the higher the power, the faster the screw will be screwed in. But you should not overdo it, for household purposes and do-it-yourself flow repairs, a 500-700 W model is quite enough.
In order not to send the device for charging every half hour of operation, you should pay close attention to the battery. Modern screwdrivers use:
- Lithium-ion batteries are not subject to self-discharge, the most common. They can be charged up to 3000 times, and at any stage and discharge level.
- Nickel-cadmium – are not afraid of cold, they work efficiently at subzero temperatures. However, there is a small drawback – self-discharge. You need to store such a battery with 0% charge in order to save capacity to the maximum.
- Nickel-Metal Hybrid batteries are eco-friendly batteries found in some European brands. These batteries are compact and lightweight, but they are frost-resistant.
When comparing battery specifications, it’s also worth looking at capacity. The autonomy of the device and the number of possible recharges depend on it. Over time, the capacity decreases, this also needs to be taken into account.
A hackneyed truth – a brand beyond competition. Yes, branded tools are more expensive, but they have a quality guarantee and service centers for repairs, and the screwdrivers themselves are made of durable components.
Quite good screwdrivers with a removable battery are also offered by Varo Kreator, Sparky, Dnipro-M and others.
How to choose a cordless screwdriver: 6 tips and a rating of 5 cool models
A screwdriver is essentially an electrical substitute for a screwdriver. It performs the same functions as the younger "brother", only makes the process of tightening / unscrewing screws and bolts much faster. Such a tool is especially effective if there are tens, or even hundreds of screws. The device can not only twist the screws. By installing a special drill, you can make holes in wood, plastic and thin metal with a screwdriver. powerful devices even take bricks and concrete. In general, the tool is indispensable in everyday life and during repairs.
Criteria for choosing a cordless screwdriver
To choose a quality screwdriver, it is not enough to pay attention only to the price, appearance and comfort in the hand. It is necessary to additionally evaluate a lot of characteristics. Those who do not trust the consultants can independently study the technical passport of the device they like. It describes the main parameters and capabilities. What is important when buying a cordless screwdriver and which device is better for the house from inexpensive ones is described in detail in the following sections.
In branded models, the manufacturer, in addition to the standard features, also offers the user auxiliary functions. They greatly facilitate the work and can become a point above the "i", dispelling doubts whether it is worth buying this or that model.
Most often found in tools:
- Charge indicator – a small light that will tell you when to put the battery on recharge;
- Reverse motion – and unscrew the screw, and the drill can be removed from the thick board;
- Impact mechanism – indispensable if you need to work with a stone surface or brick;
- Illumination of the workplace – in some screwdrivers it is so powerful that there is no need for additional lighting.
There is also an impulse, various blockers, speed switches, etc. Each additional function is a plus to the price of the device, which means that you need to be 100% sure about its need in the device.