Stockpiling Gasoline for Emergency and Disaster Preparedness at SHTF
In 2014, Americans consumed an average of 374.74 million gallons of gasoline per day. This translates to over 1.5 gallons per adult per day.
In a situation of total disaster, when gas is not available, a shortage of it will take a huge toll on our lifestyles and can affect our very survival.
For these reasons, many Savvy Survivors are wondering whether to stock up on gasoline.
Here we move on to the next one:
- Is it worth storing gasoline?
- How long does gasoline last??
- Is it legal to store gasoline?
- How much gasoline to store in the warehouse
- How to store gasoline safely
- Gasoline alternatives
Oil selection and fuel preparation for trimmer
Oil plays a huge role in the performance and durability of the gasoline trimmer, which protects the parts of the cylinder-piston group from rapid wear.
In order for the lawn mower to please its owner with trouble-free operation, a competent approach to maintenance is required. Currently, it is customary to distinguish between two main types of engine by the number of working strokes:
Working principle of two- and four-stroke engines
- Two-stroke engines, where oil is added directly to the fuel tank;
- Four-stroke engines with separate oil reservoir. An exception in this category is the STIHL 4-MIX engine, which runs on an oil-gasoline mixture, but at the same time has 4 strokes.
However, most trimmers on our market are equipped with powertrains that run on a mixture that has been pre-filled with a fuel tank.
Types of engine oils and their purpose
Oil selection for Benzotrimmer
Gasoline trimmer engine oil is a lubricant used to reduce wear between the rubbing engine components.
The oil composition includes residual hydrocarbons and various additives that improve the properties of the final product. To ensure long-term and trouble-free operation of lawn mowers, experts recommend the use of oils, which in their physical and chemical properties correspond to this type of engine.
Today, it is customary to distinguish between three main types of oils according to the way they are obtained:
- Mineral, created in the process of distillation of hydrocarbons;
- Synthetic oils obtained by natural gas processing or synthesis;
- Semi-synthetic, containing improved mineral oil with the addition of some synthetic components.
In order to prevent mixing of various types, the manufacturer adds a dye to the oils, which shows in the difference in the composition of the lubricant.
Is it worth storing gasoline?
There are all sorts of disasters that can jeopardize our gasoline. One of the most probable disasters. This is an electromagnetic pulse (EMP) that can occur from a nuclear attack, an EMP weapon, or a solar flare. EMP will destroy the electrical grid and, depending on the strength of the explosion, can fry the electronics. This means the probe will NOT work anymore.
Petrol. This is also one of the first products that is consumed during the war, as happened during the war in Bosnia. And now it is happening in Syria.
But the fact that gasoline will disappear in an SHTF situation does not mean that you have to store 10,000 gallons of it in a secret storage tank.
After a major accident at SHTF, you no longer need 2 gallons of gasoline a day to drive to work and to the supermarket (hint: you will NOT go to work anymore and the supermarkets will be empty!).
Why you WILL have a gasoline fund:
- Fuel for your emergency vehicle
- Fuel for your generator
- Fuel for gasoline-powered tools (e.G. Chainsaws)
Like Our Articles?
Check out our suite of e-books. Nine titles are full of premium information in preppers.
articles download. Print for use when the net is lowered.
How to store gasoline supplies
You want to stockpile gasoline in case of disaster. But building up a flammable liquid can be a recipe for disaster! If you are going to store gasoline, it is better to make sure that it is safe.
The most common way to store gasoline. These are red plastic canisters, which are usually 1-5 gallons in size. This is fine if you just want to save up a few cans in total. Even with such a small amount of gasoline, you still need to take precautions:
- Store gasoline in a room, not adjacent to your home, such as a barn.
- Keep gasoline away from heat sources, including direct sunlight, heaters, and water heaters. Remember that gasoline vapors are heavy and can get into ignition sources! Keep throttle at least 50 feet away from warning lights.
- Never smoke in the same room where gasoline is stored.
- Pour 95% gasoline into the tank so it can expand.
- Store gasoline in a well-ventilated area. Never in the trunk of a car!
- Choose smaller gasoline cans for easier inventory rotation.
If you want to store more gasoline, you will need to make an underground storage tank.
How much oil to pour into the trimmer?
Depending on the number of engine strokes and the type of oil used, it is necessary to strictly observe the proportions when preparing the fuel mixture.
Gasoline and oil proportions
So, when preparing fuel with mineral oil, the proportions can vary from 1:25 to 1:35. For high-revving engines with synthetic oil, the lubricant and gasoline portion can be 1:50 or 1:80. Fuel preparation consists in pouring a certain amount of oil into gasoline and then mixing.
For long-term storage of a diluted PVC mixture, the container is not suitable, since when interacting with plastic, the solution loses its properties. Long-term storage of the prepared fuel (more than 2 weeks) should not be allowed, which leads to the formation of an oil film and malfunctions in the fuel system.
Trimmer oil: choice and proportions was last modified: July 4th, 2018 by Admin
How much oil does the world consume??
Total world oil consumption in 2017 was about 98.8 million barrels per day.
- USA 20.2%
- China 13.7%
- India 4.4%
- Japan 4.0%
- Russia 3.7%
Instead of investing in a fancy underground storage facility, I spend my time and money on renewable energy sources like solar and biodiesel. The best thing about THESE fuel and energy sources is that they are knowledge-based.
I can’t lug around 500 gallons of gas with me in case of a mistake, but my knowledge of how to make solar panels will come with me.!
Are you adding up gasoline? Why or why not? Let us know in the comments below or join the conversation at.
Gasoline for trimmer
Gasoline trimmers are ideal for site maintenance due to their portability. These models of lawn mowers require periodic fuel changes. The choice of gasoline must be approached competently. It is not worth saving much on the purchase.
Which oil to choose
For effective trimmer operation, it is necessary to select oil for two-stroke engines. This is due to the lack of an oil sump in such a device. Depending on the chemical composition of the oil, the following classification is distinguished:
- Mineral. based on petroleum distillate, suitable for low-power and air-cooled equipment, but requires frequent replacement and can only be used in good weather in the warm season;
- Semi-synthetic. suitable for garden equipment with air and liquid cooling;
- Synthetic. based on esters, and do not require frequent replacement and can be used at any time of the year.
Oil for 2-stroke engines is characterized by good solubility and complete combustion feature. It is recommended to use a lubricant for the trimmer that is suitable for air-cooled units. Most often, it is indicated on the packaging that the oil is intended for garden equipment and is marked I, TV or TC. over, the last of them is the most preferable.
Lawn mowers often produce the right oil, so you can make your choice easier if you choose the right brand fluid.
Features of refueling lawn mowers
When the mixture is prepared and ready for use, it must be carefully poured into the fuel tank. Since gasoline is a toxic liquid, safety precautions must be observed when working with it. Work must be carried out in calm weather and away from strangers. And also to pour fuel into the tank, you need to use a watering can or funnel, with which you previously diluted the mixture. Otherwise, the mixture may spill, go unnoticed, and ignite when the engine heats up.
The fuel bank itself must be cleaned of external contaminants and only then Unscrew its cap in order to refuel with the prepared fuel. Once the fuel has been filled, the tank should not be left open, as insects or soil can enter it and clog the fuel filter. You need to fill the fuel in the tank to the indicated mark or less, and then refilled it during operation.
During storage, the container must be tightly closed with a lid. Store fuel in a cool place, out of the sun’s rays. It is worth remembering that during long-term storage of the mixture, the oil liquefies and loses its properties.
See below for more details.
What gasoline to fill
Gasoline for the trimmer should be chosen unleaded with a stroke number of 92 or 95. As practice shows, AI-80 gasoline can lead to device breakdowns, which is a questionable economy.
Fuel must be fresh, that is, after purchase it can be stored for no more than 60 days.
Other factors also affect the quality of the fuel, such as using a special lawn mower lubricant and diluting it in a separate container. It is also recommended to use special canisters designed for storing gasoline.
What gasoline can I fill in the trimmer?
Before determining which gasoline can be put into the trimmer, it is necessary to define some of the concepts used.
- Trim tabs can be with four-stroke or two-stroke engines. Four-stroke trimmers The most powerful and complex in design, the lubrication of its engine parts is carried out by an oil pump. The engine runs on pure gasoline. For two-stroke units. simpler ones. preparation of a fuel mixture consisting of gasoline and oil is required. It is due to the amount of oil in the fuel that the rubbing parts in the cylinder of this engine are lubricated.
- To prepare the mixture, you need a certain grade of gasoline AI-95 or AI-92. The brand of gasoline depends on its ignition speed. octane number. The lower this figure, the faster gasoline burns and the greater its consumption.
Many models of lawn mowers have two-stroke engines running mainly on AI-92 gasoline. The fuel for them must be mixed independently. It is better to pour gasoline into the lawn mower of the brand that is defined for it by the manufacturer, otherwise the trimmer will fail faster. For example, with AI-95 gasoline, the engine will quickly overheat, and when choosing AI-80, the fuel mixture turns out to be of very low quality, therefore the engine will work unstable and with low power.
In addition to choosing a brand of gasoline, when preparing fuel to shift for lawn mowers, you need to use a special oil designed specifically for two-stroke engines. Semi-synthetic and synthetic oils work well for lawn mowers. Semi-synthetic oils are in the middle price range, suitable for such equipment from any manufacturer, they lubricate the necessary engine elements well. Synthetic oils are more expensive, but they will keep the engine running longer. In any case, when buying equipment, you should carefully read the instructions, since sometimes the manufacturer gives recommendations on the use of specific brands of oil.
Gasoline for four-stroke engine
Devices with a four-stroke motor are more complex. Oil and gasoline are poured into different containers, from where they are then fed to the engine. For a mower with such a motor, you need AI-92 and AI-95 gasoline. Use fuel with a lower octane number. This will lead to unstable engine operation. In addition, do not use a lubricant designed for two-stroke models.
Gasoline for lawn mowers: which to choose and how to dilute?
For those people who have a summer cottage or a country house, very often there are difficulties with the overgrown grass on the site. As a rule, it is necessary to mow it several times per season and get rid of thickets. A wide range of garden and vegetable garden equipment is currently on the market. One of these assistants can be attributed to a lawn mower, in other words. a trimmer. For effective and long-term operation of such equipment, it is necessary to fill it with high-quality fuel or properly prepared fuel mixtures.
Fuel mixture for two-stroke engines
Trimmers, which are equipped with a two-stroke engine, do not have a separate system designed to supply oil to lubricate the rubbing parts. For this reason, such devices should not be refueled with pure gasoline, but with a mixture of fuel and engine oil. The latter should be specially designed for two-stroke engines. Application of automotive engine fluid will result in premature engine failure.
Preparation of a fuel mixture for two-wheel engines
You need to refuel lawn mowers with a two-stroke engine with AI-92 gasoline. When using the AI-95, overheating of the engine and uneven operation of the unit may be observed. You need to mix gasoline with oil in a ratio of 50: 1, where 50 is fuel and 1 is oil. It turns out that 1 liter of fuel will require 20 ml of oil.
If the engine is worn out or the tool is operated with a high load, then the proportion is 25: 1. If there is little lubrication, then scuffs will appear on the walls of the cylinder and the surface of the piston. Then the piston ring will undergo destruction, causing the engine to jam. Excessive excess is NOT so critical, but it can lead to carbon deposits. At the same time, the piston ring will coke, which will reduce the power of the device.
The proportions of oil and gasoline for the fuel mixture
What kind of lubricant should be used for the trimmer gear?
During operation, the mechanical part of the trimmer is loaded by contact forces on the teeth, resistance reactions from adhered grass (sometimes with dirt), dynamic, shock loads due to constantly changing torque. Lubricant for the trimmer gear must fully take into account these features, so the selection of the brand must be strictly individual.
The following factors are taken into account:
- Manufacturer’s brand. Each brand reasonably focuses on self-made lubricants (you can talk about cheap Chinese products later). This applies to manufacturers such as Husqvarna, Stihl, Huter, Makita, etc. The only exceptions are domestic trimmers: for example, the Caliber in the user manual does NOT indicate the brand of lubricant at all.
- The viscosity of the lubricant. As you know, all lubricating compositions are divided into three groups. high-viscosity (colloidal systems containing various additives), plastic compounds for universal use and solid lubricants that soften during operation.
- Good adhesion to the surface of gearbox parts, as a result of which the grease is NOT squeezed out into the gaps or out of the unit.
- The rate of grease consumption by the gearbox. Here you have to rely on your own experience and the recommendations of specialists, since some trimmer manufacturers, relying on their own service centers, do not give clear recommendations at all for the period of the gearbox operation between two lubrications.
Lubricant consumption also depends on the temperature at which it retains its lubricity. When the gearbox is heated to 40 ° C, it is considered that its operating conditions are satisfactory, and there is sufficient lubrication.
It is believed that there is no universal grease for the trimmer gearbox, but this is not entirely true. In fact, a suitable lubricant will be one in which the following components are present:
- Lead-free antiwear additives;
- Solid lubricants with the presence of graphite or molybdenum disulphide (the latter is preferable, since the lubricity is fully retained for a wide range of shaft speeds)
- Only mineral (inorganic!) Oils, highly refined.
These requirements are fully met by Gear Grease OREGON or Champion EP-0 lithium greases, domestic compositions Oleo-Mas, Litol.24, or Azmol 158, as well as what is recommended by the manufacturer of a particular trimmer model.
Lubricant for trimmer gear. How and how to lubricate?
Sometimes, in the midst of an intense mowing operation, your trimmer will start making an unpleasant grinding noise. This complains about the lack of lubrication of the gearbox. The most heavily loaded unit of the device. And soon on These “Warning” may follow and jamming of the drive.
How to Lubricate the Trimmer Gearbox?
In the upper part of the body, where the gear block is installed, there is a technological hole, which is plugged with a screw during trimmer operation. This screw is unscrewed, and 1.5. 2 ml of lubricant is injected into the hole using the spout on the tube. If the lubricant was purchased in a different package, then an ordinary disposable medical syringe is also suitable for this operation.
After that, the screw is reinstalled. This procedure, regardless of the user’s recommendations, should be performed every 10. 15 hours of operation of the trimmer in working mode. Other reasons for updating or replacing the gearbox lubricant are the independent performance of minor routine maintenance (for example, cleaning and flushing the gears of the gearbox before the start of the summer season), repairing the unit, preserving the trimmer for the winter, etc.
If the gear unit is disassembled, it is recommended to completely remove the remnants of the old grease from the surface of the parts, even if it does not have any traces of oxidation and contamination. And only then applies new lubricant. After applying the lubricant, it is recommended to turn the shaft several times by hand, and make sure that the lubricant is evenly distributed over all parts of the gearbox.
When lubricating, pay particular attention to the following elements:
- Flywheel: grass residues tend to stick to its surface intensively, and thickening herbal juice creates additional resistance.
- Pawl of the starter coil, which, in the process of turning on the drive, constantly contacts the grooves on the flywheel. In this case, not only mechanical wear occurs, but also mechanochemical corrosion of the “flywheel-dog” connection, since the materials in this pair are different (the flywheel is aluminum, and the dog is steel).
- Bearings, if their seals are worn out, and through them the remaining grease is squeezed out. In this case, the unit begins to vibrate intensively when loaded. This happens with Chinese-made trimmers, so it is worth thinking in the future about replacing the bearings of the assembly with a better one, for example, from the Swedish company SKF.