One of the most important mechanisms of the modern tiller is the gearbox built into its design, the function of which is to continuously transmit the generated torque from the engine to the wheels of the used agricultural machine. The gearbox plays a rather important role in the design of the tiller, therefore, each owner of the equipment must know how to lubricate and repair the mechanism in case of failure.
Tiller gear unit. the main details of the mechanism
Having an understanding of how the tiller gearbox is designed, it will be much easier for the owner of an agricultural unit to lubricate and repair the mechanism.
The gear mechanism of the parsing machine used in agriculture is equipped with the following elements:
- pulley and protective cover;
- ball bearings;
- a sleeve located in the area of the input shaft;
- lever for adjustment and timely switching;
- shift axle and fork;
- a gear located in the area of the intermediate shaft;
- shaft block;
- double row steel chain;
- washer and rubber glands;
- input metal shaft;
- clutch and clutch fork.
The location of each of the listed elements of the tiller gearbox in detail will be shown in the diagram.
This design of the gearbox ensures the correct operation of the mechanism under almost any conditions. Each part of its design is important in its own way, so a breakdown or loss of any of them will inevitably lead to a malfunction of the whole mechanism.
What are the reducers tiller. a description and features of the mechanisms
The gearboxes with which modern tillers are equipped are divided among themselves according to their intended purpose. The following types of built-in mechanisms are distinguished:
- angle gears. the role of this equipment is to dock the installed motor and the tiller transmission not connected to it. Such a mechanism is known for its efficiency and optimal cost. If necessary, the angular gearbox for the tiller can be modified in order to increase the endurance and power of the element. Another important advantage is the simple design of modern bevel gearboxes. A simple device allows you to assemble it yourself, without spending money on the purchase of expensive parts;
- reduction gears. equipment of this type is designed to reduce the number of generated revolutions in order to repeatedly increase the power of the tiller. The reduction gear for the tiller built into the unit’s construction is controlled by a separate air cooling system, which ensures uninterrupted operation of the mechanism when working in the most difficult weather conditions. tilleri with such reducers have high endurance and versatility;
- gear reducers. the advantages of these mechanisms include fairly high gear ratios, reliability, high wear resistance and simplicity of design, which allows you to quickly repair them without assistance. Gear reducer is very easy to use and self-service;
- reverse gears –The principle of operation of such mechanisms is called the “reversal scheme”, and gives the tiller a lot of advantages. The main one is the ability to move at rear speed, which significantly increases the maneuverability of the unit. The main disadvantage of such gearboxes is considered by experts as their low productivity when using heavy attachments;
Video: What Oil To Pour Into A Makita Trimmer Reducer
- worm gears. the worm gear is made mainly from durable materials, whereby it has good characteristics and resistance to wear. It shows high reliability, regardless of operating conditions.
The simplicity of the design of a modern gearbox allows you to independently produce such a mechanism for a household tiller. Adhering to the correct procedure and having all the necessary materials available, the farmer will be able to make a home-made unit, which in its reliability and quality will practically not be inferior to its market analogues.
What oil to fill in the tiller gearbox. choose a tool
The choice of lubricant for the gearbox of an existing tiller depends on several factors. First of all, this includes the recommendations of the manufacturer of the used agricultural machinery. The second, no less important feature is the cost of the purchased oil.
In practice, transmission oil is considered the most optimal means for gearbox lubrication. This composition is able to prevent various breakdowns of the mechanism and protect its friction parts when working in difficult conditions. ZIC 10W40 gear oils are considered one of the leaders in the domestic market. this semi-synthetic material covers the gearbox parts with a thin film and protects them from wear.
Oil change in the tiller. how to do it yourself?
Immediately before the procedure, the tiller gearbox will need to be cleaned of old lubricant. This is not difficult to do. in some cases, it will be necessary to disassemble and dismantle certain parts of the tiller, however, most units have free access to the drain cover of the gearbox.
The procedure for changing the oil is as follows:
- To begin with, the existing tiller will need to be installed on any hill. it will be much easier to drain the oil from the gearbox. If necessary, bricks can be placed under the wheels of the unit;
- At the bottom of the gearbox there is a drain plug, and at the top there is a filler plug. First you need to unscrew the filler plug, and then lay a wide container under the drain plug;
- Next, you need to begin to carefully unscrew the drain plug. As soon as oil starts to flow out of it, the plug must be completely unscrewed and wait until all the lubricant has drained;
- After that, screw the drain plug, insert a funnel into the filler hole and add new oil;
- After filling in the required amount of oil, it is necessary to screw the filler plug back. On its lower side there is a special dipstick, about 10 cm long. it is designed to check the oil level. If grease is filled to the tip of the dipstick, oil is no longer required. In more detail about the sequence of changing the oil in the gearbox of a household tiller, the video will tell.
If the agricultural unit is used extremely intensively, then this procedure will need to be performed every 50 hours of work done. In all other cases, a one-time replacement of the product is sufficient for every 100 hours of operation of the unit.
How much oil to pour into the tiller gearbox?
Just before filling new oil, you need to find out how much old material is poured into the gearbox.
This is done in this order:
- First, the tiller is placed on a flat surface;
- Next, a metal wire is taken, at least 70 cm long, and bent into an arc;
- The resulting product must be pulled through the existing filler hole and push it all the way. As soon as the wire touches the bottom of the gearbox, it should be pulled back.
After that, you need to calculate the length of the wire coated with oil. If the product is about 30 cm in the lubricant, then this is considered the optimal amount of oil that needs to be poured into the gearbox when changing. If the home-made squeegee turned out to be completely dry, then at least 2 liters of previously unused lubricant transmission means will need to be poured into the tiller gearbox.
How to change the seals on the tiller?
The seals of the tiller used in the household are consumables requiring regular replacement. It is necessary to change these parts at the first sign of oil leakage from the tiller gearbox, otherwise the oil will completely leak out of the mechanism, as a result of which the latter will succumb to increased wear.
Replacing the tiller seal is performed in the following sequence:
- First you need to remove the cutters from the tiller shaft and carefully clean the built-in shaft from accumulated dirt, debris and oil residues;
- Next, you need to unscrew the bolts securing the cover of the installed gearbox, knock the cover and carefully remove it;
- After that, you will need to pull out the old used oil seal, put a new one in its place, and apply a thin strip of sealant along the edges of the connector;
- All subsequent assembly of cutters on the tiller shaft is performed in the reverse order.
Timely replacement of worn oil seals will prevent leakage of oil from the tiller gearbox, and will make it possible to save the working life of the rubbing parts of the mechanism.
All the above methods for selecting oil, lubricating and replacing oil seals are suitable for tillers manufactured by the brands Neva MB-1 and MB-2, Farmer, Cascade and Oka. The gearboxes in these tillers have a simple design, which allows them to perform maintenance even for a novice farmer.