An electric scythe or trimmer is an affordable and effective solution to lawn care problems where it is easy to extend an extension cord. For devices such as electric braids, the ranking of the best is based on technical specifications, cost, design features and ease of use.
What is the difference between a lawn mow and a trimmer
lawn mowers from the trimmer differ in purpose, functions and adaptability to loads.
Trimmer. a technique for mowing grass and low bushes. Often it is lighter and more compact than lawn mowers, characterized by low power and productivity. It is equipped with a reel or bobbin with fishing line for cutting grass. Outwardly, it has one handle for holding. The difference between the lawnmower and the trimmer is also that the latter is not suitable for continuous operation.
lawn mowing. a more powerful device adapted for grass, hard vegetation, shrubs, thin tree branches. It is completed with fishing line and a mowing disk. In most cases, it is larger, more powerful and heavier than the trimmer, able to operate at full power up to 8 hours a day and is equipped with two handles.
What is better than lawn mowing or electric mowing
In order to figure out which is better, a lawn mowing machine or an electric grasscutter, consider the main pros and cons of tools and highlight the differences.
- Application. the trimmer is suitable for trimming the lawn with soft grass and cutting weeds in a summer cottage or garden. A trimmer with a more powerful gasoline engine is more versatile, and is suitable for both soft lawn and removal of hard grass, dead wood, weeds, shrubs and young shoots of trees with a thin trunk from the site.
- Autonomy. The operation of the lawn mowers is provided by a two-stroke ICE running on a fuel mixture of gasoline and oil, and is started by a manual starter. The electric trimmer works from the network, and to start it, you need constant access to power. Therefore, if you work in a place where there is no network at all, or if the area is large and there are no sense in pulling multi-meter wires from the outlet, choose a gasoline model.
- Weight. Due to the design features, the lawn mower, even with an empty tank, will weigh almost twice as much as an electric tool. Since the trimmer has to keep the awning all the time, this factor plays a role, especially for girls, adolescents and the elderly.
- Preparing for work. Electrocosse preparation is not required, just plug it into a power outlet and press the button. This option is especially suitable for people who have never before mowed grass. lawn mowing with a 2-stroke engine, firstly, you need a primary run-in (how to carry it out, described in detail in the instruction manual). Secondly, it must be refilled every 40-60 minutes with a gasoline mixture, which must be prepared in advance by mixing gasoline and motor oil in a suitable proportion in a special canister.
- Convenience of operation. the trimmer works much quieter than gasoline and does not pollute the environment with exhaust gases. But it is worth noting that models powered by electricity often have a lower engine layout, which makes working with them in rainy or wet weather unsafe. And also the electric motor should not overheat, this should be carefully monitored and not over-stressed the trimmer, otherwise it will quickly break.
- Service and storage. In maintenance, less picky electric braids. It is only necessary to clean the cutting elements from grass residues, blow out the cooling hole and lubricate the lower gear. You will have to tinker with a gas tool: you need to regularly check the spark plugs, clean the fuel filter, you need to learn how to prepare high-quality oil gasoline or change the oil in time (if the trimmer is equipped with a 4-stroke engine). The benzotrimmer is stored only in a non-residential premises due to the smell of gasoline, and is “canned” for the winter.
- Price. An indisputable advantage of the electric trimmer is its relatively low cost, in contrast to the gasoline counterpart.
Video: What’s Better Trimmer Or Killer Whale
Based on the above advantages and disadvantages, we can conclude what is the difference between petrol and power tools. Otherwise, it all depends on what goals you will set for the selected trimmer.
Features of lawn mowing
Gasoline braids and trimmers in some cases have more powerful power units, which allows them to better cope with heavy loads: hard grass, weeds, bushes, young shoots. The range of engine power varies from 600 to 3000 watts.
Suitable for landscaping large plots, non-electrified sites, heavily overgrown and abandoned territories. Some models are equipped with a cutting knife for shrubs and tree branches.
Features of electric braids
Electric braids and trimmers have less weight, low noise during operation and low vibration on the handle. In the management of electrical equipment is simple and intuitive even for beginners.
The disadvantages of the electric braid are low productivity, low power of the electric motor (from 300 to 1300 W), the need to constantly pull the extension cable along with it.
The best models
Among the electric lawn mowers, the following models are considered the best:
The FIT ET-1200 is one of the most powerful and cheapest lawn mowers on the market. Made in Canada, without Chinese parts.
Of the trimmers, the following models are considered the best:
Bosch ART 26SL. the lightest and most compact device, German quality.
Even women, elderly people and teenagers can mow with their own hands.
Cutting grass with an electric scythe
What is the difference electric braid from the trimmer? It’s probably more correct to assume that nothing, just the trimmer is the English name, and the electric braid is Russian. But I still connect the trimmers with the first weakly powerful models of garden equipment that appeared in our country with a lower engine layout. As I already wrote in the article “Garden Tools. Trimmer»The main disadvantage of trimmers with a lower engine location is low productivity and overheating.
Engineers tried to improve the design by moving the motor up the metal rod, while it was necessary to install an additional gear mechanism between the electric motor and the head. As a result, air cooling of the motor improved. In fact, it differs from the electric braid trimmer only in greater power and, as a consequence, reliability and durability. At present, products with a direct shaft arrangement are equipped with both a coil with a cord up to 2.6 mm thick and knives.
Electric braids, when equipped with auxiliary nozzles, become a fairly versatile garden tool. With their help, you can prune trees, cut and trim hedges.
Cutting grass with an electric scythe
Some models include a shoulder girdle for load distribution, which is actually a very convenient device. The metal bar is collapsible, which significantly improved the possibilities of its transportation and storage. The cutting width is practically the same for everyone: 230 mm for a knife and 380 mm for a fishing line. But electric braids received both additional pluses and minuses concerning the trimmer with the lower arrangement of the engine.
Acquired advantages. powerful (0.7-2.7 kW) are hardy and as a result are equipped with thicker cord and knives (they can work with neglected meadows, lawn with tall grass, including dry, and raspberries), more reliable.
Acquired flaws. The design has become complicated, which means they have become more expensive, have become heavier (up to 6 kg), higher energy consumption.
Electric braid. what to look for when choosing.
We choose. When choosing a brand, you should pay attention to the power of the electric motor. Often the product is equipped with both a coil and knives. A hard knife in contact with solids will wedge a low-power engine, which will lead to overheating, and in the future, failure. It is most optimal to purchase a 1.1 kW product. Before buying, make sure that your wiring is able to withstand this load. In direct electric braids, a metal rod is used as the transmission mechanism, and not a cable as in curved ones, and they are more reliable. If the budget and wiring allow you to choose a powerful electric scythe, then you can search for models with a cut width of up to 460 mm (in weakly powerful ones this will most likely be a minus). Desired shutdown function when overheating.
With the availability of funds, I would opt for this type of motor equipment compared to low-powered trimmers. Do not forget that it is better to get an electric extension cord in bright colors, and that the longer it is, the greater the loss in it (choose with a margin of power). When choosing, be skeptical of sellers who, instead of powerful products, try to pay attention to low-power, but with a richer bundle. Unless of course he does not confirm his thesis that the manufacturer overestimated the characteristics (which does not happen with well-known brands).
Kosim in thick shoes
Tip. When working with an electric braid or trimmer, in order to avoid injury, I strongly recommend using glasses and thick sturdy shoes (do not rely solely on a protective shield). If you do not yet have mastered skills in handling garden equipment, then this requirement is mandatory. Any actions: straighten the electric cord, discard a stone or a conversation with a neighbor, start after the knives or the reel with the fishing line have stopped completely. In no case do not engage in self-installation on electric braids with curved knife shafts. In this case, the rotating elements are very close to the feet of the gardener, and if not knives, then a stone or any other hard object flying out from under them can cause us injury. Do not forget that any equipment is a subject of increased danger.
Let the technique never let you down in your garden chores.