Creating a beautiful lawn and maintaining it in order is not an easy task. And to make it easier, you need a reliable assistant. a lawn mower. There are many good and different models on sale. And although everyone has the same purpose, in a number of parameters they differ from each other. Let’s try to figure them out.
What are lawn mowers?
By the way of moving lawn mowing machines are divided into:
- manual (trimmers) that are held in hand when mowing,
- wheeled hand, which you need to carry on the lawn,
By type of drive motor distinguish mechanical, gasoline and electric lawn mowers.
Mechanical Wheel Mowers easy to operate, it does not need electricity or gasoline, but significant muscular effort is needed. They are environmentally friendly, silent and allow you to adjust the height of mowing the grass. The cutting mechanism is a cylindrical knife driven by wheels. Such a tool is good for caring for a young lawn, as the low speed of rotation of the knife prevents pulling out grass with a fragile root system.
Mechanical Wheel Mower
And we will consider gasoline and electric lawn mowers below.
Hand Lawn Mowers (trimmers) fit for regular lawn mowing in a small area even with an uneven surface, as they can mow at any angle. The trimmer is a holder bar, at the lower end of which is a cutting device with fishing line. And with high power. additionally with a circular knife. The mower hangs on a belt on the operator’s shoulder, literally making it easier for him to work.
Trimmer can be equipped electric or gasoline engine. Electric is located on the lower or upper end of the rod, and gasoline. only on the upper.
A protective cover limits the mowing edge and protects the legs of the mower from injury. During operation, the left hand holds the handle of the bar (adjusting, if necessary, the height of mowing the grass), and the right hand holds the handle with the engine control button.
The main advantage of trimmers. the ability to mow grass in uneven areas and close to bushes and trees. But maintain the same mowing height at the same time will not work.
The electric trimmer is powered by a household power outlet. To his merits can include:
- light weight
- environmental friendliness (there are no exhaust gases and noise).
Disadvantages of the electric trimmer:
- binding to a network (outlet),
- the presence of a stable voltage,
- forever disturbing cable on the lawn
- low power.
And the cable itself has a limited length: you can’t squint far from home.
Battery Trimmer. the same as the electric one, but the engine does not work from the outlet, so you can mow at any distance from the house. This is his basic convenience. However, the mowing area is determined by the capacity of the battery.
The gas trimmer is designed to work in large areas. Therefore, it is especially in demand by summer residents, and owners of country estates, and workers in urban utilities. However, working with it requires some preparation.
This type of lawn mower is distinguished by an enviable mobility, increased power and practicality. It can be used for mowing not only lawn grass, but also weeds and bushes. And professional models are able to cut stems up to one and a half centimeters thick.
However, even with a small fuel tank, such an assembly:
- weighs quite a lot,
- requires a mixture of gasoline with oil,
- pollutes the environment with exhaust fumes,
- makes a noise.
But it can work in any weatherat.
The convenience of mowing grass with a trimmer is determined by several points, and one of them is the location of the engine.
Trimmers engine bottom on sale a lot. Most often they rechargeable low power. They overheat quickly, so they require frequent interruptions in work. Protection against moisture and mechanical stress is poor. They cannot work on morning dew and immediately after rain, otherwise a short circuit may occur.
Trimmers engine top more practical, more balanced and more powerful, require less mowing effort, and therefore more comfortable in operation. They have good cooling (less overheating), and, therefore, greater performance.
Engine Top Trimmer
Among the trimmers with an upper engine, I especially want to highlight knapsacks. Their engines are secured behind their backs (like a schoolbag), which significantly reduces the load on the hands and much less restricts movement.
Knapsack petrol trimmer
A nice trimmer option is anti-vibration system. It allows you to reduce the vibration load on the shoulders and hands, protects the arms and back of the mower.
Powerful gas trimmers to reduce the burden on the hands equipped with ergonomic handle, similar to a bicycle wheel. On the right handle are buttons to control the operation of the tool. When buying a trimmer, make sure that the handle and button layout on it are comfortable for you.
Comfortable bicycle handle
- Selection tips
- How to use?
Gas trimmers are some of the most popular grass mowing devices. They are easy to use, mobile, allow a person not to depend on the outlet and show excellent results in places of their use. But for the stable operation of the gas trimmer, quality supplies are needed. In particular, we are talking about gasoline and oil. It is about the last component that we will discuss in this article.
Video: What to Pour into a Lawn Mower Reducer
Engine oil is a special mixture consisting of a solvent and additives that reduce friction. They form a certain viscosity and do not allow the composition to thicken when the temperature is lowered. Usually, oils are specially painted in various colors: green, red or blue. This allows them not to be confused.
Keep in mind that they may vary in composition, so oil for gas trimmers will be labeled “for gardening equipment”. In addition, it may still differ in labeling: “2T” or “4T”. The first is a two-stroke oil that is poured into the corresponding engine. And the second is intended for pouring into the crankcase.
High-quality oil that can be poured into a gas trimmer must meet a number of requirements and standards to ensure reliable operation of the device and its performance. Oil should:
- to provide increased wear resistance for various elements (in particular, the gearbox is particularly susceptible to this);
- ensure the lowest possible smoke and exhaust gases;
- Prevent premature ignition
- mix well with gasoline when exposed to low temperatures;
- have good viscosity and fluidity in various temperature ranges;
- be as safe as possible in terms of environmental impact.
As already mentioned, two-stroke engine oil will differ from four-stroke formulations. It has higher power, which is why fuel for it is obtained by mixing a certain amount of gasoline and oil. For each lawn mowing ratio will be different. You can find out its value in the instructions for the device. These proportions must be observed with maximum accuracy. When adding additives, the type of motor must be considered.
If mineral oils are used, mixing should occur somewhere in the ratio of 1: 25, 30 or 35, depending on the type. If we are talking about a synthetic analogue, then the proportion will be 1: 50 or to 80. That is, a certain amount of oil dissolves in the volume of gasoline.
The oil that is poured into the motor may vary in the method of preparation. According to this criterion, it happens:
- mineral. this type is obtained during the processing of petroleum products;
- synthetic. it is obtained during the processing or synthesis of gas;
- semi-synthetic. this type has more advanced characteristics due to the introduction of synthetic-based components into it.
Lawn-mowing oil refers to formulations intended for use in air-cooled engines that have a combustion chamber volume of 50-200 cubic centimeters. In addition, any two-stroke oil can differ from analogues in additives, which give it certain additional characteristics. They are of the following types.
- Antiwear. The main objective of the oil will be to reduce the wear of parts during operation of the device.
- Antioxidant. They do not allow oxidation to occur and make it possible to maintain the performance of the oil for a long time.
- Corrosion resistant. Their task is to prevent corrosion from forming on engine parts.
- Friction modifiers. These additives can significantly reduce the coefficient of friction.
Recently, when purchasing oil for dilution with gasoline, users very often encounter the fact that special letter abbreviations are applied to canisters. These designations are performed as part of the API classification. Consider what types of oils exist in accordance with it.
- TA applies to air-cooled lawn mowers, the engine capacity of which is not more than 50 cubic centimeters. It can be used not only for mowers, but also for mopeds, lawn mowers and other types of equipment. For a gas trimmer, this is the optimal solution.
- TB is used to refuel a chainsaw, scooter, moped or motorcycle, the engine capacity of which does not exceed 200 cubic centimeters. It can also be used for refueling gas trimmers.
- TC suitable for dilution with gasoline and pouring into a snowmobile, motorcycle and other types of equipment.
- TD is for refueling boats, yachts and hoverboards.
But in addition to this classification, other FA-FD type letters are often found. It should be said that the API is an American standard that is applied in Europe. But there is a mismatch between European smoke emission standards and American. For this reason, additional lettering should also be taken into account.
- FA can be used in countries where the law provides for minimal exhaust emissions. When using oil with this marking, faint smoke may be produced.
- FB. can be used in countries where smoke and gas restrictions are much stricter. In this case, smoke will hardly be emitted.
- FC. here appears smoke of a transparent color, which the human eye cannot notice.
- FD. a special category of oils for 2-stroke engines, they do not create smoke at all. They have enhanced chemical properties. Typically, this oil is used for mixing with gasoline and subsequent refueling of boats and yachts.
In addition, oils come in two more categories:
In the first case, this will mean that it is necessary to carry out independent mixing, which does not require shaking, and in the second case, you will need to do it.
Now let’s try to understand how to choose high-quality oil for a trimmer that runs on gasoline. The main feature that you need to pay attention to is the alkaline number. This moment excludes the oxidation of parts in which friction is observed, and decelerates their deformation as much as possible. The more this compound is used, the faster it loses alkalinity and becomes more oxidized. The optimal indicator of acidity (PH) is a value of not less than 8-9 units.
The second important factor, which also has a major impact on the operation of the gas trimmer, is the viscosity of the oil. This characteristic determines the possibility of using the device at various temperatures. Summer brands of oils begin to thicken already with a minimum decrease in temperature.
The third point, the importance of which should not be minimized, is the flash point. This indicator should not be less than 225 degrees. Otherwise, the composition will burn out very quickly and the load on the piston group will begin to increase, which will cause its accelerated wear. In addition, oil for a 4-stroke engine is not suitable for a 2-stroke. Namely, the latter type of motors is used in the vast majority of lawn mowers.
If we talk about manufacturers, then you can make a small rating, which will allow you to navigate in the compositions offered by various manufacturers. For instance, stihl company It offers high-quality synthetic and mineral oils that have already established themselves as an excellent solution at any time of the year.
Considered very good Shell Helix Ultra Oil. Experts note its high characteristics and excellent alkalinity and viscosity. In addition, products of brands such as Oleo-Mac, Motul, Hammerflex, Echo. If we talk about products of domestic brands, then you should pay attention to Lukoil oil. Its price is several times lower than its foreign counterparts, but at the same time it has high quality and good technical characteristics.
How to use?
Information on the proportions of oil use was given above. We must say right away that you should not deviate from the indicated values and dilute gasoline by eye. In the best case, you just need to change the oil, and in the worst you can’t avoid a motor breakdown.
It is important to be able to cook the mixture correctly. It is impossible to fill it in a gas tank. It is better to pour oil in a special container that already contains gasoline. A plastic mineral bottle is perfect for this. It is very important that it is clean, which is why beer or milk bottles will not work. And it is better that it be a liter or two-liter, since it will be difficult for many to calculate how much oil to fill in a 1.5-liter or 1.25-liter bottle. You will also need to have a syringe on hand, which will serve as a dosimeter. It is best to take a regular medical for 10 or more cubes.
Now step by step explain how to make good oil for a gas trimmer.
- First you need to know exactly what type of oil is required for a particular model of the braid, and also find out the exact ratio of gasoline and oil to create a mixture.
- Then you need to fill the container. The tank should not be filled with gasoline to the end, because the oil should also fit there;
- Now we collect the necessary amount of 2-stroke oil into the syringe and pour it into a bottle with gasoline. You can’t do the opposite, otherwise you will need to replace all the ingredients, and the mixture will need to be done again.
- Close the bottle with a lid and stir. It is important not to forget that stirring the mixture is necessary if there are Premix words on the oil bottle. If Selfmix is written there, then after mixing the substances everything is poured into the tank.
Now it remains only to refuel the gas trimmer, and you can carry out the necessary work.
See how to choose oil for gas trimmers in the next video.