what lawn mower for the house which one to choose
How to keep your lawn tidy? A lawn mower helps. To do this, it’s important to choose the right model. After all, a large range and many technical characteristics sometimes confuse the buyer. We will present different types of equipment, tell you about the types of their power, the main parameters of choice and useful devices. Need to mow a small front lawn or a soccer field? The right equipment for every job makes lawn care easy! We have studied their features and are ready to share useful information on how to choose a lawn mower.
With or without mulching?
Mulching is the grinding of grass cuttings for later use as fertiliser. The device in the process of work processes the cut grass and neatly scatters behind (or to the side) itself mulch. This gives the soil a natural fertilizer and with it the useful substances. However, the mulch will remain on the ground after mowing, so if you want to get a “clean” lawn, it is worth taking a model without this function.
Note that devices with a mulching function cost a little more than lawnmowers without it, so you should only buy them if you are going to do mulch often. Devices with mulching function are also included in our rating of gasoline lawnmowers.
These solutions are much more powerful than electric, as well as cordless models. In addition, gasoline mowers are more mobile, because it is not necessary to pull the wire. It is important to understand that these products are more powerful, and there is no need to overpay for performance if you work with a plot of less than 5 acres. Of the disadvantages can be noted noise, smoke emissions, as well as regular maintenance: it is necessary to refuel, carry out technical inspections.
Grunhelm S-461VHY model adds to the lawn mower ranking, attracting an optimal price to quality ratio for a motor with a power of 4 horsepower. The self-propelled model received a wear-resistant steel rotary blade, and can operate in the territory of a large household house and even for industrial purposes. High speed mowing and long service life is guaranteed by the gasoline power plant T-375, the volume of which is 123 cubic centimeters. The large grass catcher box, holding up to 60 liters, is a must, too. Mowing height can be adjusted in a wide range up to 75 millimeters, but not everyone can do it in time. However, it is possible to get used to this product. Let’s add that the brand gives 12 months warranty on its equipment.
The list of good gasoline lawnmowers is completed by the model Hyundai L4610S, which is perfectly suitable not only for lawn mowing, but also for voluminous works because of good technical characteristics and affordable price. The grass catcher box of this machine can hold up to 65 liters of waste without having to be emptied every time. The design includes excellent wheels and a folding handle, making the product easy to transport. Weighs around 27 kilograms. The self-propelled lawnmower supports mulching, and its mowing width is 46 centimeters. Autostart in this model does not exist, which is reasonable, given the cost of the product. The manufacturer has decided to limit itself to the most necessary options in order to offer an excellent product in terms of value for money. Side discharge, speed control and a quick flush connection for the machine.
Best Lawn Mower For Small Yard 2022 [RANKED] | Lawn Mower Reviews
For those buyers who have not decided what to choose a gasoline lawnmower for the home with a reasonable price tag and simple operation, our rating replenishes the model AL-KO 113794 Easy 4.2 P-S. The modern device delights with the optimum weight, large rear wheels and a capacity grass catcher of 55 liters. Engineers took advantage of the ergonomic handle and 7-step height adjustment. This invention has a cutting width of 42 cm. According to the manufacturer, this mid-priced product is designed to service lawns up to 800 square meters. Main body components are made of cast steel, indicating that it will last a long time.
STIGA Combi 53 SQ
Another good self-propelled lawn mower on gasoline engine, which has solid technical characteristics: cutting width, power, reliability. The engine has a cubic capacity of 166 cm and a power output of 2.6 kW. Engine output is 2,900 rpm. It is important to note the presence of 4 modes of operation, including rear discharge and mulching the cut grass (for fertilizing). Judging by the buyers’ Комментарии и мнения владельцев, the ejection of shredded grass is uniform, which is a big advantage of the machine. Height can be adjusted in five positions from 2.7 cm to 9 cm. Large-diameter wheels make for easy maneuvering even in difficult terrain.
The best lawn mower of 2022 with mulching function is the Makita PLM4628N with side discharge support and seven-step adjustable mowing. Among other things, the manufacturer has taken care of a 60-liter combination bag. The four-stroke engine has enough power to serve a garden up to 1400 square meters. New-generation engine reduces exhaust emissions. The width of the strip can be 46 centimeters. Height is adjustable from 25 to 75 millimeters. Weighs about 30 kilograms. Users have a positive feedback on the fine chopping and return of the grass as fertilizer on the ground. the technology works perfectly.
Gas vs Battery Lawn Mower. Which is better?
What’s the right lawn mower for the grass?
It is hardly necessary to consider a huge number of innovative technologies and so-called advanced functions. If you do not know how to choose a lawn mower for the house, pay attention to the issue of price/quality ratio, as well as the following parameters:
- Power. the higher this indicator, the wider the passage and more efficient the work can be. This indicator argues the scope of the invention;
- Self-propelled is an important option, which provides comfort in use;
- Modes of operation. options such as grass ejection are important, as well as mulching (provides for shredding the grass), as well as spraying it as an endorsement. Budget models do not have an ejector, but place the waste in the grass bin. If you are interested in an inexpensive option, pay due attention to the capacity of this component. For the home is optimal in the area of 30-60 liters, depending on the size of the territory;
- Height adjustment. optimally in the area of 3-4 ranges, and it is important that there is an opportunity to change the parameters with one movement (on the lever);
- The handle is an important element when a lot of use is involved. The most comfortable models have rubberized handles, which also argues for an additional level of safety.
Tips for choosing a lawn mower for your home
We’ve also picked out a few expert recommendations for lawn mower selection that we found helpful:
- Don’t chase the power. If you have 4-5 acres, an electric lawn mower should do the job. For larger garden plots, a petrol mower with up to 7 horsepower is of course the better choice.
- Notice the terrain. If there are a lot of potholes and other terrain, you’ll need a model with a tapered front. Self-propelled models accelerate faster, and are much more comfortable.
- Don’t forget the conditions of use. When buying an electric lawnmower, you will need a mains without voltage fluctuations. If this is not possible, you can consider a cordless mower.
Wheeled lawnmowers come in drum mowers and rotary mowers. The drum ones have two wheels, the rotary ones have four. Generally used for smaller areas, this power tool is easy to operate, requires no additional maintenance and is relatively inexpensive.
DDE LME 3313
Electric non-self-propelled rotary mower, its recommended mowing area is 400 m 2. This model has a motor power of 1300 W and the blade speed is up to 3850 rpm. The robust grass catcher box has a capacity of 27 litres, a cutting width of 33 cm and a height from 20 to 65 mm. It weighs only 6 kg and measures 37x29x58 cm.
GARDENA PowerMax 1400/34
The compact four-wheel mower has a 1.4 kW motor. This model is suitable for plots up to 400 m2. Its housing is made of plastic, so it weighs only 10 kg. It has a folding adjustable handle, a 40 litre sturdy grass catcher box and a half-folding clutch. Sharp, high-quality blades do not dull for long and have a cutting width of 34 cm. The height of mowing is adjustable, there are 10 levels from 2 to 6 cm in total. Noise level of this device is only 79 dB.
- Compact and lightweight;
- Convenient mowing height adjustment with 10 levels;
- Robust and roomy grass catcher box
- Sharp knives are also good for small debris.
Bosch Advanced Rotak 760
The model from the renowned German brand looks expensive and has a modern design, because of this its price is very different from analogues. The weight of this model is 16 kg, which is relatively small. It features a 1.8 kW motor and a 46 cm blade. The good maneuverability and the easy mowing height adjustment are among the noteworthy features. Low-noise operation and comfortable, high-quality handles.
Husqvarna LC 141C
22-kilogram model with 1 mower.8-kilowatt motor has a lot of positive feedback from customers. Lawn mower with grass catcher box volume of 50 liters, equipped with special plugs for mulching. All that’s missing is a side ejector. There is a 10-level adjustable cutting height system from 25 and up to 75 mm. The device has a 41-centimeter blade, which is convenient for such engine power.
STIHL RME 545
One of the best electric mowers with 1.6-kilowatt motor. Engine is not the most powerful, but it is perfectly suited to work with a 43 cm long blade, the blade is completed by aerodynamic flaps. It is necessary for effective discharge of the mowed grass in the pipe, which already leads to the grass catcher box. The grass catcher box on this model is rigid and quite capacious, at 60 liters. Knife speeds of up to 2900 rpm and a recommended cutting area of 800m2.
Having studied the introductory information necessary for a balanced choice of garden equipment, let’s move on to the rating of mowers. Separate reviews will be given of the self-propelled and non-self-propelled models. We hope you’ve decided which category is right for you.
To our answer to the question, which self-propelled mower for dacha to choose, was as detailed as possible, we will tell you about the pros and cons of each model, give a number of technical characteristics, as well as share the reviews.
STIGA Combi 48SQ petrol lawnmower
The cheapest of the self-propelled mowers presented in the rating. Perfect for small to medium sized areas.
- Gasoline lawnmower has a combustion engine with a displacement of 139 cm3.
- The collection container can hold up to 60 liters.
- Knife position can be adjusted by a 6-speed switch.
- Maximum travel speed. 3.7 km/h.
- Rear wheel drive.
- The user can switch between four ways to dispose of vegetation: side and rear discharge, collection in the grass catcher box, and mulching.
- Low price compared to other walk-behind models.
- Steel deck protected from mechanical damage in collisions.
- Large rear wheels provide good cross-country ability on terrain.
- Low noise level.
- Easy start.
- Small fuel tank capacity.
- Difficult to change oil.
- Not suitable for high vegetation: the grass catcher box gets clogged quickly.
- No adjustable travel speed.
- DSC. dynamic speed control for setting the optimum intensity of work.
- Maximum speed for forward travel is 3.6 km/h.
- Five cutting element height adjustment positions.
- Width of area mowed in one pass. 48 cm.
- The housing is made of steel.
- Combination grass catcher box with sight glass for level monitoring.
- Mulching unit to keep your garden soil in good condition.
- The blade adjustment is on the side of the body. Easy to reach lever even when mowing lawn.
- Main handle folds down for easy transport and storage.
- Low noise.
- Easy operation.
Husqvarna LC 253S 9670693-01 gasoline mower
Husqvarna lawn mowers are the best choice for a self propelled lawn mower. But only if you are willing to invest heavily in garden equipment.
- Two operating modes: grass collection in a soft bag and ejection to the rear. The grass catcher box has a capacity of 60 liters.
- BriggsStratton gasoline engine with 163 cm3 cylinder volume.
- Six cutting height settings.
- Husqvarna mower deck made of composite material.
- Easy operation.
- Convenient blade height adjustment.
- Easy to start.
- Powerful four-stroke engine.
- Large grass catcher box.
- The wheels do not leave marks on the lawn.
- Elastic pads on the tiller arms give you long, comfortable working hours.
- Folding handle for compact storage.
- The wheels are equipped with a tread designed to improve traction.
Gasoline mower Husqvarna LC 347V BS 650EXI 9670689-01
Buyers who want to choose a self-propelled mower for home use are attracted to Husqvarna’s high horsepower and ease of operation. However, for professional work, it is not suitable: have a bad passability on uneven terrain and the plastic housing. The latter material makes the structure lighter, but not as strong.
- Deck is made of impact-resistant composite plastic.
- BriggsStratton motor with ReadyStart function. The last one aims at easy start-up.
- The height of mowing is in the range of 20-75 mm, adjustable with a lever.
- Lightweight package.
- Folding working handle for easy transport.
- The engine automatically adjusts to the required intensity of work.
- The body is designed in such a way that you can get to the air filter without using additional tools.
- Travel speed is adjustable.
Top 4 best robotic lawnmowers by price/quality for 2021-2022
Battery-powered standalone mower, equipped with reversing function and able to work even on uneven surfaces.
If you compare this model with other similar models with similar functionality, this one compares favorably with the competitors by its affordable price. Battery power enough for up to 500 square feet.м. With a cutting width of 28 centimetres.
It has a mulching mower attachment and the cutting height can be adjusted from 15 to 60mm.
The device does not make much noise, reacts adequately to obstacles, bypassing them, rather than trying to take them by storm. With detailed instructions, there is no problem setting up and using the robot.
- For which area. 500 sq.м.
- Cutting width. 28 cm.
- Cutting height between 15 and 60 mm.
- Housing material and number of wheels. plastic, three wheels.
- Weight of the robotic lawnmower. 10.3 kg.
GARDENA Sileno City 250
Compact and lightweight, the robot is suitable for an area of about 250 square metres.м. Was released in 2018 and won several awards, including first place at the Red Dot Design Awards.
Experts praised the robot’s attractive, clean housing design, high quality materials used and maximum ease of use, as it requires very few adjustments.
The knives mow a stripe of 16 cm. in length and the height is freely adjustable by the user, usually between 20 and 55 mm.
The robot travels on three wheels and is quite stable, the body is made of durable plastic, which does not suffer from small stones or collisions with obstacles.
And it is a very quiet worker. the noise level of it does not exceed 58 dB. Navigation is very simple, all information is displayed on a small LCD screen.
- For what area. 250 square meters.м.
- Cutting width: 16 cm.
- Mowing height 20-50 mm.
- Material of the body and number of wheels. plastic, three wheels.
- Robot lawnmower weight. 7,3 kg.
Bosch Indego 350 (0.600.8B0.000)
Again, the recognizable German quality and branded ease of use, without complicated settings and calibrations. Built-in battery power is enough to cover an area of 350 sq. km.м., Removes a 19 cm wide strip of grass at a time.
There is no grass bag, but the sharp knives shred the plants so much that they can be used as an additional natural fertilizer after treatment.
The grass is thrown back, but if you are not satisfied with it. you can always buy a special mulching nozzle through the official website.
The cutting height of the grass is user-adjustable from 30 to 50 mm. With a fully charged battery the device will operate for about 30 minutes, after that it will take 45 minutes to charge it via the station.
- For how much area. 350 square meters.м.
- Mowing width. 19 cm.
- Mowing height 30-50 mm.
- Material of the body and number of wheels. plastic, four wheels.
- Weight of robotic mower. 7,5 kg.
Husqvarna Automower 105
Mowing robot with a working capacity that effortlessly mows 600 square metres of lawn.м. Mows a strip of grass 17 cm wide at a time, height is adjustable from 20 to 50 mm (standard settings).
Weighs only 6.7 kg, easy to carry from place to place.
The robot automatically plots the direction of its movement, the battery power is enough for almost an hour of work, and at the station to recharge it spends about 50 minutes.
The device does not skip zones and does not leave behind a rut. Equipped with three rotating blades, the cut grass is thrown backwards.
This method allows the use of plant residues as a natural fertilizer. In fact, this is the initial model, which was equipped with additional features in the form of anti-theft protection, timer, tilt sensors and user-friendly graphical menu.
- For what area. 600 sq m.м.
- Mowing width. 17 cm.
- Mowing height. 20-50 mm.
- Body material and number of wheels. plastic, three wheels.
- Weight of the robotic lawnmower. 6.7 kg.
How to choose an electric mower for country houses
Before buying an electric lawnmower, you will have to study dozens of models, comparing them by technical and performance characteristics. For evaluation, use the following parameters.
Machines for lawn care are divided into three classes depending on the power of the electric motor:
- Low power. up to 1.5 kW. compact, maneuverable, low weight. Suitable for small lawns and yards with young vegetation and relatively level ground. Can only cover a maximum of 40 cm per pass.
- Medium. 1.5-2 kW. mow lawns with small gradients, cut thick and old stems, can mulch. Because of their size and weight, not every woman can handle them.
- Powerful. over 2 kW. reliable and powerful machines with cutting widths up to 76 cm. Females can get tired quickly, are very noisy and need a reliable power source. a cheap extension cord may not hold the load.
Cutting height and width
Every owner can mow his lawn to suit himself. The low mowing width in the yard is 3-4 cm, in the garden. up to 7-8 cm; the height adjustable is ideal for working on slopes. Most models change the height of the deck in steps to control the length of the cut stalks:
It is recommended to mow thick and old growth in two passes: to the maximum height and then to the desired height.
The cutting width determines the speed of the lawn. It is selected based on its size. Manufacturers recommend to be guided by the information in the table.
The more powerful the motor, the more the lawnmower blades grab.
Grass discharge and mulching
The simplest budget models throw the cuttings to the side for turning into hay and fertilizer or for manual cleaning. Most models are equipped with containers for collecting grass. grass catchers. The larger it is, the less often it needs to be emptied, but it makes the unit heavier and reduces maneuverability. Containers can be:
- cloth ones. lightweight, compact, but clogged with shredded grass, you need to shake it out, clean it thoroughly, it is not always moisture-permeable;
- plastic. easy to empty and clean, the grass can get clogged;
- combined. a plastic frame with a fabric base for grass.
Filling indicator is a pleasant bonus for the operator.
Mulching is the process of shredding grass and spreading it evenly over the mowed area to fertilize it and cover the ground in drought conditions. Activating the function during dew and cutting long grass is not recommended. it will put a noticeable load on the motor and mechanical parts.
Wheels, handle and body
With wide, big wheels, it’s easier to drive through deep grass and small obstacles. For areas with many obstacles in the form of beds, trees and buildings, it is desirable to take a three-wheeled model. it is more maneuverable. Wheels on bearings will last many times longer than bushings, especially plastic ones.
The handle should be adjustable in position and height. A soft anti-vibration coating or at least a rubber coating is desirable.
The bodies are made of plastic and metal (steel, aluminum). Polymer material is quickly covered with scratches, fading in the sun. Steel. sturdy, durable, but they can rust if scratched. Aluminum. scratches shine in the sun, they are almost not visible, it is not subject to corrosion.
Top 5 best inexpensive cordless lawn mowers
If the yard is small and the mower will not be used often, there is no point in buying an expensive device. over, in the lines of well-known brands there are enough inexpensive models with well-thought-out functionality.
greenworks 2509607 G24LM32K2
One of the most inexpensive mowers, which has all the necessary features for full operation. Optimal mowing width allows you to use the device on both large lawns and hard-to-reach areas.
For the collection of mowed vegetation, there is a grass collector on a rigid frame, and for the care of lawns with different types of vegetation. a convenient adjustment of the mowing height.
Special soft plastic for the body. It is strong enough, so it is not damaged by accidental impact of stones or other hard objects.
We can safely recommend the mower to families with children, because it has a special safety button and a fuse that prevents accidental activation.
It’s a cordless lawnmower that runs on two batteries, making it ideal for removing grass even on large lawns.
As it is equipped with wheels of various diameters, the device shows excellent cross-country ability even on slopes and uneven areas. There is a special lever on the body, with the help of which the user can easily and quickly adjust the height of mowing vegetation.
There is also a special handle on the body, which provides convenient transportation and carrying the unit.
Mowing width is not the widest, but it is large enough to cut large lawns and hard to reach areas, e.g. between trees or near buildings.
GARDENA PowerMax Li-18/32 (5039-55)
Users who are looking for a powerful, functional and most productive lawn mower, you should pay attention to this model.
The device is equipped with a modern lithium-ion battery, which has a long life and does not need special maintenance.
There is an LED display on the housing that shows the current charge level and helps you to recharge the lawnmower in good time.
Also, the unit has a modern brushless motor, and the special PowerPlus technology provides high torque and effective mowing of tall vegetation.
There is a roomy grass catcher box in the back of the body, and the mulching nozzle connection allows you to evenly distribute the mowed vegetation over the lawn.
Compact, maneuverable and easy to operate lawnmower, which provides all the basic technical features for full domestic use.
Despite its moderate price, it has an optimal cutting width. It is suitable both for removing grass in large areas, and for mowing vegetation in hard-to-reach areas.
Height adjustment on the body for comfortable mowing. Also features a large collector box to catch stragglers and cuttings.
Optionally, the user can connect a mulching nozzle, so that the mowed vegetation is evenly distributed on the lawn.
PATRIOT CM 432
Compact and handy mower that fits well for small lawn care in the garden. State-of-the-art brushless motor for high performance and wear resistance.
Heavy-duty grass catcher box for better collection of grass clippings. It is very easy to clean vegetation, and even aggressive chemicals can be used to wash the interior.
The body features mowing height adjustment in one of three positions.
There is a special window on the grass catcher box, which allows you to monitor the degree of its filling visually. Also included is a plastic wrench that protects the unit from unauthorized starts.