Which screwdriver to choose for home and work? How to choose a screwdriver for home and professional use? Tips for choosing a cordless and mains screwdriver for the home.
Which screwdriver to choose for home and work?
The screwdriver makes it easy to screw self-tapping screws into any type of surface. It can also be used to make holes for dowels if the device has a drill function. The tool is indispensable for both professionals and infrequent household use. Before choosing a screwdriver, you need to consider the degree of stress to which it will be subjected. In connection with it, it differs into professional and household.
Theoretically, self-tapping screws can also be screwed in with a drill (at the lowest speed), but it does not have suitable technical features. The drill does not have an adjusting ring, so the screws are tightened until the worker stops it on their own. The screwdriver has an automatic adjustment that stops the chuck at the moment when the screw is completely screwed in. Thus, the torque is limited in time. This protects the screwdriver bit and prevents the head from twisting.
Which screwdriver to choose for homework
This type of tool has lower power and, accordingly, lower cost. It is designed to be used from time to time. For manufacturing, less durable materials and components are used.
Cordless models need to be charged frequently, but they do well at home.
Both types of screwdriver batteries are classified by filling material. It is on him that high-quality and comfortable work performance depends.
- Li-Ion batteries. Modern batteries used in almost all devices and instruments. They are lightweight, compact, and fast charging. A professional tool should be chosen with just such a battery.
- Ni-Cd, Ni-Mh. Batteries are recommended to be completely discharged during storage. They withstand low temperatures and are relatively heavy.
All modern models are equipped with useful functions, so choosing which screwdriver is best suited for specific tasks is sufficient in terms of power and type of battery. All models have a reverse motion for unscrewing self-tapping screws, adjusting the speed, motor speed.
So, for home use, it is recommended to choose a tool with the following characteristics:
- Rotation speed 500 rpm,
- Light weight,
- Li-Ion battery.
For professional workers or for large-scale tasks, it is recommended to choose the following type of screwdrivers:
- Rotation speed from 1200 rpm with the function of its adjustment,
- Energy source: battery and power grid,
- Construction: drill-screwdriver,
- Expensive materials and components.
If the load exceeds the maximum values, the ratchet is triggered, protecting the engine from burnout. The battery charging time for a professional screwdriver is, as a rule, no more than an hour, for a household one. Up to 7 hours. Also, screwdrivers include the following subspecies: wrench, electric or cordless screwdriver. A wrench is used to tighten bolts, nuts, and a screwdriver has a low rotation speed, convenient for use in everyday life. Some varieties run on AA batteries. When choosing, you need to pay attention to the weight of the tool, choosing the most convenient one in order to exclude quick hand fatigue.
How to choose a cordless screwdriver for your home
When wondering which screwdriver to choose for use at home, it is worth remembering that the following characteristics are of greatest importance for this tool:
- Power is one of the most important factors that has a significant impact on device performance and performance. It is only important to understand that with an increase in power, weight also grows;
- Torque is the second most important parameter that should be considered by everyone who is thinking about how to choose the right screwdriver. This is the force that makes the rotating element rotate. A parameter that affects the range of materials available for processing and the size of the screws used;
- Speed control is a factor that is especially useful when working with those materials, overheating of which is extremely undesirable;
- The reverse makes it possible not only to tighten, but also to unscrew the screws;
- The magnetic holder is a useful option that greatly simplifies the workflow;
- The higher the rotation speed, the more complex operations can be carried out;
- Ergonomics The tool should be not only productive, but also comfortable, lying comfortably in the hand while working.
See the second part below.
Which screwdriver to choose for homework?
Say what you like, but we live better. At first glance, a very controversial statement, but only at first. Take for example a home tool: many years ago I assembled the first cabinet furniture (kitchen) in my life from a set of chipboard panels and a bag of hardware. There was only a set of screwdrivers from the tool. By the evening of the second day, the hand simply fell off. Try to tighten a hundred thousand screws by hand!
In order not to meditate for hours in front of a stand with a power tool, let’s try to figure out which screwdriver to choose for the house, because professionals already know what they need. Let’s start with a global manufacturer selection. precisely, a general acquaintance with them in a small review, which does not claim to be comprehensive.
Let’s look back at a couple of decades ago: then in our market the choice of screwdrivers was quite small, and, perhaps, the only worthwhile tools were produced only by the Bosch concern. Since then it has become the custom: a quality German is the dream of any master. over, both household (green body) and more expensive and unprecedentedly reliable professional (blue body) series still hold the palm in popularity among artisans. Although now their fellow countrymen from Metabo have begun to actively conquer the Russian expanses.
Later, the Japanese (Makita, Hitachi) infiltrated our trade stands, making a worthy competitor to the blue-green ones. The quality, reliability, ergonomics of this tool are at their best, and the price, respectively, is in the same place. Today American manufacturers (Dewalt, Milwaukee) are slowly gaining a place under the European sun, finding their admirers among wealthy craftsmen.
Cordless or corded screwdriver
The undoubted advantage of the cordless tool is its mobility. And that’s all, although they can still fight off the bear. But the disadvantages are as follows:
- The batteries need to be charged, which means you have to wait. Well, if only an hour, some inexpensive models require up to three hours of charging.
- Over time, even if you do not use the tool at all, the batteries age and, in the end, require replacement, which is money, and a lot.
- Batteries are heavy, therefore, other things being equal, the mains tool will be lighter, which will reduce the load on the wrist.
If the choice fell on the battery version of the screwdriver, then you should know that three types of batteries are used to power it: nickel-cadmium (Ni-Cd), nickel-metal hydride (Ni-MH) and lithium-ion (Li- ion). The former easily tolerate low temperatures and high discharge currents. The latter are much more expensive, but with equal weight, they have a large capacity and the number of charge-discharge cycles (up to 1500). Ni-Cd batteries, like Ni-MH, have a memory effect, therefore, they require strict adherence to the charging rules, otherwise they quickly lose capacity. Lithium-ion batteries are good for everyone, except for the fear of full discharge and low temperatures, a limited shelf life of no more than 3 years. They are maintenance-free, quick to charge and have no memory.
Another important parameter is the operating voltage of the battery. The higher it is, the more peak power the tool’s electric motor can develop (if, of course, it can withstand it). The voltage range for different models is from 3.6 V to 36 V. The battery capacity, which determines the operating time on one charge, is indicated directly on its case. Most often, the capacity is in the range from 1.2 A. H to 5.2 A. H.
Models with a torque of 2030 N.M are suitable for home use. The main thing is that the number of setting positions of the torque switch exceeds a dozen, although the more there are, the more accurately you can set the screwing force where it is critical, for example, in the furniture industry. How powerful the screws can screw a screwdriver with a torque of 55 N.M into solid oak wood, you can see in this video:
This is how a truly reliable tool should be! Which screwdriver to choose can suggest the following are not outsiders who are measuring their strengths here:
Ergonomics of the screwdriver
Since the screwdriver is chosen for household work, then you will have to use it yourself (or yourself). Convenience is desirable. Here the following factors influence the right choice:
- The presence of a reverse screw sometimes needs to be unscrewed.
- Easy operation start button, reverse and torque switch should be conveniently located on the body.
- Keyless chuck for quick tool change.
- Ease of use The handle should be ergonomic, preferably with rubber pads, which will provide minimal palm slip and a firm, comfortable grip.
- Electronic control will provide not only smooth speed control and stable spindle speed, but also save the motor from overheating and failure.
- The spindle lock is required for safe tool changes.
- Momentary stopping of rotation after releasing the start button is very convenient when screwing furniture screws exactly to the level of the decorative chipboard coating.
- Illumination of the working area, battery level indicator, lanyard attachment eyelet are small, but sometimes very important chips.
Spindle speed at idle
This parameter becomes important when you have to perform a large amount of work. Especially good are those tools in which there are two modes of rotation of the spindle at idle. Usually from 0 to 300 rpm in power mode, and at high speed up to 1300 rpm. Such screwdrivers can be used as a drill.
On this, perhaps, I will stop, because if you try to talk about all the intricacies, you will have to write a book What screwdriver to choose for the house ?. Happy shopping!
What materials will you use
If we decide to use a cordless screwdriver, then the density of the materials into which we will screw the screws is determined by the voltage of the battery used.
In other words, if we need to assemble furniture from parts that we purchase in a commercial center, or screw into already drilled holes, then a wireless device with a 3.6-3.8 V battery will be sufficient.
If our goal is to drive screws into denser materials or surfaces without holes, then it is necessary to use batteries with a higher voltage, between 10 and 14 V. Always remember that the density of the material determines the power of the tool used to make holes in it, and that electrics cannot drill concrete.
If using a cordless screwdriver is supposed to be professional and regular, then we should choose not only one that offers a high-voltage battery, such as 18 V and a high torque, but also includes two batteries. The latter fact will allow you to continue working even if one battery runs out.
Choosing a screwdriver for home
In this paragraph you will find answers to the questions, which screwdriver to choose for home work, how to choose a cordless screwdriver for home, and many others. Let’s consider each of these questions in more detail.
How many types of screws will you work with?
This question has to do with tool speed. Some screwdrivers, mostly wired ones, offer manual adjustments to increase or decrease the speed of the motor.
If we work with several types of screws, buying a tool with the ability to adjust the rotational speed will be a good choice.. As a rule, devices with high operating voltage have a high rotation speed.
If we need more control, then a screwdriver with a lower rpm will be preferable. In the case of handguns, whether wired or cordless, the rotational speed that their motor delivers ranges from 2,500 to 5,000 rpm.
Although this characteristic is usually inherent in screwdrivers, you still need to make sure the reversibility of the motor in order to be able to remove screws that are poorly inserted or angled in.
Speeds and reverse
As practice shows, a house screwdriver can perform a variety of tasks:
- Collection or disassembly of furniture;
- Installation of building materials;
- Electrical installation;
- Minor repairs.
These are not all points in which a screwdriver can be involved in one way or another. A wide range of applications requires flexibility from the tool. Therefore, it is best to choose a screwdriver with two speeds. The first will allow you to work with maximum torque, the second will give speed when working. Do not forget about the reverse. This feature will be appreciated by those who often assemble or disassemble furniture at home. Using the hexagon socket in conjunction with the reverse of the screwdriver, you can quickly assemble or disassemble any cabinet.
Which screwdriver to choose for homework
Any master or a good owner knows that a screwdriver is an irreplaceable assistant in household and repair. It significantly speeds up installation and construction work. Its compact size allows you to take it with you wherever you go. The construction and installation tools market offers a wide range of screwdrivers for professional use or household needs. To understand which screwdriver to choose for household work, you need to know what functions it will perform in everyday life. Let’s consider 6 main aspects when choosing a tool for the home.
After deciding on the power source of the instrument, you need to think about the type and capacity of the battery. Minor repairs and minor household chores do not require a capacitive battery. A screwdriver with a capacitive and powerful battery is inconvenient to use and takes up more space in storage and during transportation. Basically, a cordless screwdriver is a drill with a reverse function. Therefore, a tool with a battery capacity of up to 12 mAh is sufficient for household chores. Also pay attention to the type of battery. For home use it is better to take a tool with a lithium-ion battery. It lasts longer, has no memory effect and charges fast.