Top 10 Tillers The best tillers (petrol and diesel) according to the opinion of experts and the reviews of ordinary buyers.
Top 10 Tillers
- Best Medium Gasoline Tillers
- The best lightweight inexpensive gasoline tillers
- Best Medium Diesel Tillers
- The best heavy gasoline tillers
- Best Heavy Duty Diesel Tillers
Having your own farm, it is difficult to do without mechanical assistants even a low-power tiller is able to facilitate a lot of work, and in the most non-standard way: for example, by installing a pump on the power take-off shaft, you can quickly pump water from a well or, conversely, drain ditches or a caisson. It is not surprising that often in the villages you can see the craziest constructions, which, following the example of the Warhammer orcs, are assembled literally from what was superfluous at hand.
How the rating of the best tillers was made
First of all, we note that we do not pursue advertising purposes. All the aggregates offered for your consideration were selected impartially, according to the principle as for themselves.
Criterias of choice:
For convenience of classification, tillers can be divided into the following groups:
- Light tillery have motors with a capacity of no more than 4-5 horsepower, most often a motor transmission and at the same time their clutch is a V-belt transmission. The main purpose is work with cutters, the additional hitch is connected with a second belt, if there are several streams on the drive pulley. They will not pull a large load in the form of a plow, even with weighting agents; on heavy soil they will overheat. Such a tiller is a good choice for a small farm where equipment is needed more serious than a cultivator, but heavy work in large volumes is not expected.
- Average tillers already more powerful and heavier. In this class, you can find not only models with a multistage transmission and reverse, but also diesel models, which, albeit more expensive, are more profitable in terms of fuel consumption with frequent use. The motor transmission is often direct and this makes it possible to connect an active hitch to the power take-off shaft.
- Heavy Tillery fully justify their name, their weight exceeds 150 kilograms (or even goes off scale for 3 centners, like the Profi PR 1040E and its classmates), so they can pull the plow, transport loaded carts and motors with a capacity of 10-13 hp without additional weight. Do an excellent job with this load. Given the dimensions and weight of such devices, a differential appears in the transmission; it will no longer work to deploy such equipment on one wheel as light Tillers. You can often find a lower gear in the gearbox.
The capabilities of the devices depend on the trailed equipment, which is fixed on the body. There are different attachments:
- Cultivator cutters. Rotary blades are required for soil cultivation.
- Oval plow. Plows the soil by moving it to one side.
- Reversible plow. It is a pair of metal plates that do not interconnect, necessary for plowing.
- Potato planter. Used for planting root crops.
- Potato digger. Designed for harvesting.
- Harrow. Allows you to level the ground, break clods.
- Rake. They will help in collecting fallen leaves or cut grass.
- Mower. Cuts grass no higher than 1 meter.
- Snow shovel and brush. Clean the surfaces.
- Trailer. It clings to the tiller, serves to transport the owner and goods.
Types of tilers
The main characteristic worth paying attention to when choosing a technique is power. The higher it is, the larger the area of the site can be processed. All tillers are divided into 3 broad categories based on power and weight.
This is a technique with a weight of up to 120 kg, suitable for connecting most attachments: brushes, hillers, plows. The high mass allows you to handle a large area of up to 100 acres, as well as transport goods in a trailer.
Among the disadvantages are noisy work, towing when plowing virgin lands.
Sophisticated steering system of the Tiller NEVA
7. STEERING WHEEL
On the NEVA MB2 gasoline tillers, the steering wheel consists of separate handles, together with articulations connected to each other by a mechanism that allows them to be adjusted in the vertical plane. The steering column is also an integral part of the steering wheel, which is attached to the base of the product using the steering column. The steering wheel on NEVA MB2 tillers can change its position in the horizontal plane (up and down) in 15 degree increments. Thanks to this, each user will adjust the steering position convenient for himself.
On the NEVA MB Compact and MB23 tillers, the handlebar is a one-piece structure attached to the base of the product using a handlebar post. The steering column is close to the tiller’s center of mass, which makes steering much easier. The steering wheel is adjustable in height and steering angle.
The wing nut is ergonomically designed for a comfortable palm grip. Allows you to manually adjust the steering wheel without the use of tools. Imported (not China).
STEERING POSITION BOLT
The 14mm hexagon socket head bolt provides a good secure fit on the steering column.
The handlebar post connects the steering column to the corners of the tiller frame. Differs in strength and reliability of construction. Made of 8 mm thick metal.
What constitutes the reliability of the NEVA tiller?
The clutch lever is easy to press and quickly engages the clutch. Thanks to its convenient shape, it is easy to hold it in the working position for a long time. After several hours of working with the tiller, the palm does not get tired of keeping the lever pressed against the handle. It is also convenient to work with such a lever in winter, because it does not get cold enough to freeze fingers. Country of Origin. Italy.
The basis of the clutch cable is a galvanized steel core, placed in a flexible metal casing in a dense polyethylene sheath. The core of the cable is braided, multi-strand (19 strands), which indicates its reliability and resistance to mechanical stress. The well-thought-out design of the product protects it as much as possible from external damage and rust.
SHAFT RELEASE LEVER
The axle shaft disengagement lever is easily pressed and instantly disengages the left wheel. Thanks to its comfortable shape, it is easy to hold it in the working position. It is also convenient to work with such a lever in winter, because it does not get cold enough to freeze fingers. Country of Origin. Italy.
AXLE CONTROL CABLE
The basis of the control cable for the axle separation is a galvanized steel core, placed in a flexible metal casing in a dense polyethylene sheath. The core of the cable is braided, multi-strand (19 strands), which indicates its reliability and resistance to mechanical stress. The well-thought-out design of the product protects it as much as possible from external damage and rust.
The core of the cable is single-core, that is, reliable, strong and durable. The core is made of spring steel, thanks to which it takes on its original shape, regardless of significant bending, torsion or dynamic loading. It also has an anti-corrosion zinc coating. A flexible metal casing in a dense polyethylene sheath serves as a reliable protection for the cable core. The throttle cable of this design provides precise control of engine speed. Thus, the user can easily turn the engine on and off.
GEAR SHIFT LEVER
The gear lever is located on the gearbox. The gears involved in shifting are rounded at the ends of the teeth, which increases the ease and clarity of gear shifting. The latch ensures reliable fixation of the selected gear.
Tiller NEVA classic assembly: we disassemble the structure
The first batch of tilers Russian production was released in 1985 at the Krasny Oktyabr plant. It was the NEVA MB1 model. In 1989 a second model entered the market. MB2. It has been the most reliable tiller ever produced for several decades. Since then, the Russian market for small agricultural machinery has grown significantly, but NEVA motor vehicles are still popular with land owners and villagers. According to the surveys conducted, when evaluating NEVA equipment, buyers note the reliability of the tiller and the build quality of the tiller.
The best deals for Neva MB-2S-7.5 Pro
Neva MB-2S-7.5 Pro
- Middle class tiller
- Petrol 4-stroke engine 211 cm³, 7.48 HP
- Working depth / width: 20 cm / 86-127 cm
- Transmission: mechanical, speeds: 4 forward, 2 reverse
- Weight: 98 kg
- Engine: Subaru-Robin EX-21 PREMIUM
- Rotational speed of cutters: 20-160 rpm
- Chain drive (reducer)
Reviews of Neva MB-2S-7.5 Pro
Easy to start engine, powerful
Bought purely because of the Japanese Subaru engine.
To be honest, I didn’t like the gear shifting on this tiller.
When you work in the garden, you often have to reverse gear, which is sooooo inconvenient.
It does not always turn on the first time, you constantly need to scroll the box or swing the tiller so that the first one turns on after the back one. Approximately out of 10 of these switches, only 2-3 are successful, and in the remaining 8 cases it remains in neutral and cannot be turned on completely. And you also need to jump over second gear with a pass to the rear or vice versa. Here and there. Pancake. So uncomfortable
I’m afraid already that I’m freaking out, I’ll break this fucking lever, which is very short and extremely inconveniently made, the bolt on it is constantly unscrewed, I’m already screwed up. I’ll probably lose it soon.
Something buzzes squeaks when driving as if a box or gearbox is about to break.
After 4-5 hours of work after purchase, a pulley on the engine almost flew out. Okay at least rested on the protective casing. I lost the bolt, but I found the washer, okay, at least the key remained in place. I tightened another bolt and drove on. It turns out that it is necessary to periodically check the tightening, I will know.
And when I was fiddling with the pulley, I noticed that the running belt was already coming to an end. In one place, it was as if they had walked with a knife. Torn into the trash and this is only after 4-5 hours of work. Apparently the marriage was caught.
In short, except for shifting gears while I like everything, working the land is a pleasure. Simply and easily. The engine is especially pleased.
Japanese engine. Powerful, even at very low speeds plows as if nothing had happened. There was not yet such that strained or stalled because of the load.
The brother on the Oka has a reverse lever, no need to suffer with gear shifting. Squeezed the second clutch lever and drove backward squeezed the first drove forward. Fast and convenient. I don’t know why, and they didn’t do this on this one, what the constructor thought when they created this tiller (((((
In short, a Japanese engine on a Russian clunker.
– Powerful and reliable Subaru-Robin EX21D engine.
– Weight, tiller is heavy enough not to jump even on difficult terrain.
– Cheap consumables.
– Transmission: awkward and heavy gear shifting, poor gear ratios.
– Difficulty adjusting the steering wheel in the horizontal plane.
In operation for more than 4 years. Used for plowing and cultivation in the garden area.
There was only a change of belts, filter and oil. In the last season, the transmission control cable tore. 1000 rubles.
In terms of convenience, not a very successful tiller. Gear shifting is extremely poorly implemented (1st, 2nd and reverse). Switching hard, the shift knob is small, indistinct and somewhere below. You get very tired.
The belt wears out intensively, it is better to take a stock of 2-3 pieces at once. Fortunately, it is inexpensive.
It is also difficult to quickly adjust the steering wheel for yourself. Especially in the horizontal plane. Produced with a wrench only. over, there is a lock nut that cannot be tightened. What the designer thought is a big question.
For plowing, you need metal wheels with grousers. And it’s better to put them backwards.
It is also better to replace native cutters with crow’s feet.
In general, the tiller has only one significant plus: the Subaru-Robin engine.
In terms of the layout of the units and the implementation of the transmission, the tiller is very mediocre. The fireworks look more elaborate.
loaded with 8. Milling cutters. Sunk into the soil and the engine stalled. NOTHING BROKEN)
Frame construction. Wide field for alterations)
The motor is cool!
– the center of gravity is high, strongly shifted towards the operator and slightly to the left, in the direction of travel.
– two stamped gear pulleys have already broken.
– the belt tension spring has stretched and failed.
– it is inconvenient to use a standard opener.
– speeds are switched mainly by manual rotation of the pulley.
– factory cutters. Clogged with grass.
– the pins on the axles bend and the hubs of the wheels and cutters break.
Something that you can’t fix yourself, at least dream):
axles are needed 10 mm longer, with a diameter of 35 and pins with a diameter of 12.
Under the wing there should be space only for the diameter of the cutter, transport rubber pneumatic wheels are needed 14 inch, with elongated bushings, so that the soil on them is also processed. For these wheels, increase the gear ratio of the gearbox.
Everything I could on my tiller. Fixed. I liked working on it! Not modernized worked. Season 1, after upgrading. 2 seasons.
Photos can be taken, but too lazy)
Enough for your life at home and for your grandchildren
not very professionally
Probably for so many years of its operation, it’s time to take stock:
Started using this tiller with a Briggs Vangward engine. Here is a really reliable and pleasant unit (quiet, powerful, unpretentious, there are some peculiarities of operation, but in general there are little things).
I have been working with this tiller for several years to this day, in the summer I work almost every day (mows, plows). In winter, once a week or two (removes snow). So, it was reliable until the gearbox finally broke. In the heat of the moment, the tiller was replaced with the same one only with the Subaru engine and it began. Subaru has a very big vibration and because of this everything that can be unscrewed. The engine frame is bursting. Of course, I understand that I am exploiting mercilessly, and these breakdowns can be treated quite easily and quickly with the help of keys and welding. But it’s a fact: you constantly have to do something with him: frame, wings. It is a disease, they constantly burst. The air filter is generally a separate song: It will clog up a little. Everything, the engine gets up and does not work. There were no problems with Briggs in this regard. There, until the filter is completely clogged with dirt, it does not even notice. A hammered unscrewed 2 bolts. He knocked on the dirt and drove on. This will not work on a Subaru: you need to clean and blow. The Subaru has a couple of features better than the Briggs: it is a little more resourceful and you can turn off the engine with the throttle. And so objectively Briggs does it in all respects.
As a result, he returned to the briggs again, putting the Subaru in reserve.
I tried Tillery with Chinese engines: Subaru will make them in all respects. There is even more vibration and noise. I will not talk about reliability. With the reliability of both (Subaru and Briggs), this is all right. Otherwise, the Neva is beautiful for home use. For the professional. By 4. Purely my opinion: What is available to the Neva, in terms of reliability and capabilities, is an unattainable step for Chinese tillers of the same level. Although, again, perhaps I just tried not the most successful models.
For a year now I have been using the NEVA MB tiller. 2C. I am very pleased with the work, firstly, very high-quality assembly of parts, which is good news, secondly, engine maintenance is very easy, and this procedure does not cause problems, and thirdly, the consumption of consumables is very insignificant, which also pleased me. But most importantly, the price does not bite like others.
I use it in my household and at the dacha, it greatly facilitates the work, and there is still time to go fishing with my family. I am very satisfied. Igor.
The cutter that comes with the tiller is a multifunctional tool. She grinds the soil, pulling out the weeds along with the roots. To avoid cutting the grass, the teeth must be blunt. It is necessary to cultivate the soil in high gear so that the cutters do not get stuck in the ground. You should not push the unit, it moves by itself due to the translational movement of the cutters.
The functionality of the tiller can be increased by equipping it with the following equipment:
- Plow. The use of this tool is necessary when lifting virgin and very neglected areas. Depending on the power of the machine and the density of the ground, attachments with one or more shares are used. The plow greatly facilitates the work of laying trenches and digging ditches.
- Hiller. Used to create long beds after sowing. Along the way, weeding from weeds and loosening of the earth is carried out. After hilling, the plants receive more oxygen; excess moisture does not remain near their roots.
- Mowers. These devices are used on mowing and for preliminary cleaning of the field before plowing. Rotary mowers have 2 knives, capture a strip up to 1.2 m wide. You can collect the cut grass with a trailed rake, attaching them to a universal hitch.
- Planting and harvesting sheds. Potato planters and potato diggers are very popular among farmers. These devices allow you to fully mechanize the process of planting and digging out potatoes.
- Snow blowers. Different types of nozzles are installed on the tiller. The most efficient of these is the rotary cleaner, which handles dense snow drifts. You can remove snow from paths and small areas with a mounted blade or rotating brushes. The capture width varies between 60-100 cm.
- Cross-country means. Even a massive diesel engine can lose traction. This problem can be solved with the help of weighting materials or by installing ground hooks.
The use of trolleys and trailers turns Tilleri Kubanets into full-fledged mini-tractors capable of transporting people and goods with a total weight of up to 550 kg.
Advantages of tillers Kubanets
The main thing that domestic farmers appreciate in this unit is its strength, reliability and reliability. The equipment works in the most difficult conditions without interruptions and breakdowns, in summer heat and winter cold.
Users note the following advantages of the tiller Kubanets:
- The convenience of use. The device is well centered, it is possible to adjust the position of the steering wheel. All levers are placed on the handles.
- Power and efficiency. One filling is enough to process 0.3-0.4 ha.
- Ease of maintenance and repair. The unit can be repaired and adjusted by yourself.
One of the criteria for choosing tillers of this brand is their affordable cost and the availability of a wide range of inexpensive components and spare parts.
The domestically produced Tiller Kubanets unit was designed specifically for operation in the harsh conditions of virgin and non-black earth. Units and parts are made with a large margin of safety. The power plant and transmission are adapted to the harsh agricultural conditions in our country. The manufacturer has provided several options for the 7 hp engine. And 9 hp. In the basic configuration, the product can be used as a motor-cultivator capable of loosening the heaviest soil to a depth of 30 cm. The use of various options allows you to significantly expand the capabilities of the unit. Owner reviews indicate that a fully equipped Kubanets tiller is able to replace a tractor, the price of which is an order of magnitude higher.
The most common model MB-105 has the following specifications:
- HMS170F single-cylinder gasoline engine;
- Power 7hp with a volume of 207 cm³;
- Air cooling;
- Gear and belt transmission;
- Number of gears 3 (2 forward, neutral, 1 reverse);
- The volume of the fuel tank is 3.6 liters;
- Manual starter type with the ability to install electric;
- Weight 87 kg;
- Travel speed 8.0 km / h forward and 2.2 km / h back;
- Dimensions in assembled condition 900x460x660 mm;
- Coverage 80-110 cm.
- Processing depth 10-30 cm.
The standard equipment of the product includes rubber wheels 4.00-10 and milling cutters, 4 pieces on each side. In front of the body there is a pin for attaching attachments and a power take-off shaft. Power transmission from the engine is carried out through the drive belt. The owners note the ease of use of this function of the unit.
The more powerful model of the Tiller Kuban has a 9 hp HMS186F diesel engine. Thanks to the heavy powerplant, the unit weighs 175 kg and has better traction. This allows you to increase the working width up to 130 cm at a depth of immersion of 35 cm. The diesel version is equipped with an electric starter, which provides easy starting at low temperatures.
Unit maintenance recommendations
- The engine oil must be changed every 20 hours of operation (it is better to use semi-synthetic, class 10W-30).
- The gearbox oil is changed every 100 operating hours (the manufacturer recommends the use of oils of the TAP-15V and TAD-17I brands).
- All control levers that are on the steering wheel and other rubbing parts of the tiller are lubricated with grease or a similar technical lubricant.
- Gasoline that is poured into the fuel tank must be fresh and free of impurities.
Instructions for use
In addition to a detailed description of the tiller’s components and technical characteristics, the manual includes safety rules, assembly, first start-up, as well as recommendations for running-in and maintenance.
4. Transmission: types of gearboxes and their advantages
The design of the unit of any class is equipped with a gearbox. This is the main feature of this unit, it drives on its own, and the speed can be switched, depending on the type of soil and the task being performed. The transmission also assumes the presence of a reverse reverse speed.
To transmit the torque of the motor to the wheel axle, different types of connection of nodes are used:
- Belt (The simplest design. Several pulleys and a tensioned belt. Inexpensive, repair is simple. But the belt can often slip or break. In terms of endurance, it does not pull heavy loads, so such gearboxes are installed on light, low-power models).
- Chain (The connection by a chain on gears is more durable. The most common in tillers. Optimal: and not too expensive, and holds well under increased loads. It is used on medium-heavy and some heavy units).
- Gear (This type of gearbox is the most reliable. Installed on heavy machines. It includes several gears. Their shape can be in the form of a cone or a cylinder. The equipment equipped with gears is the most functional. It always has 6 forward speeds and 2 reverse (reverse movement). Lack of expensive elements and complex structure. In case of breakdown, you need to look for a replacement gear).
Since each of the gears has its own advantages and disadvantages, manufacturers often combine different types and combinations.
- The reducer is gear or chain, and the transmission is belt. If overloaded, the belt will burst and the gearbox will remain intact.
- Two gearboxes: gear and worm. The worm-type is a weak element, installed at the top, where the load on it is less.
- Gear-chain transmission. Used quite often. It is characterized by good endurance.
3. Starting system
To turn the machine into operation, apply:
- Manual start: traditional, performed by pulling the starter rope.
- Electric starter: from the built-in 12 V battery, by turning the ignition key.
Starting a heavy and bulky machine manually is not easy. When the crankshaft is cranked, strong compression occurs, and the engine stalls without gaining speed. To avoid such situations, the responsible manufacturer always installs a light start system. A special mechanism is located on the camshaft, which opens the exhaust valve at the moment of starting and thereby greatly reduces compression. That is, you launch the technique in one jerk, effortlessly and the first time.
A unit with an electric starter is more expensive, but it is much more convenient, since it does not require any physical effort and provides a comfortable start at any temperature. In addition, two types of launch are installed on expensive functional models, manual and electronic. In this case, the jerk serves as a reserve.
6. PTO (power take-off shaft): where used
The torque of the engine is transmitted not only to the wheel axle, but also to the rotation of the cutter and all kinds of other attachments. On the way of this process, a special power take-off shaft is installed in high-quality and expensive cars. Such a shaft is integrated:
- Before clutching. Then it rotates regardless of whether the tiller is standing or driving. It is very convenient because some agricultural tasks can be performed while standing still.
- After clutching. In this case, it only works when the machine is moving.
PTO gives a unique opportunity to attach different hinges. Indeed, among the attachments there are nozzles that rotate not passively (like a milling cutter), but actively. These are rotary brushes, seeders, mowers, sprinklers, aerators, etc. All of them have an active movement that requires more power, for which the shaft of its selection is installed. In a functional and heavy machine, several PTOs are often built-in, they determine the desired speed of the attachment.