Which way the angle grinder can be cut
Before you start cutting the material, you should figure out which way the angle grinder should turn: a spark from yourself or towards yourself. There is a definite answer among users, they work in both ways. If the nozzle rotates counterclockwise, the sparks (as well as the broken circle) fly in the opposite direction from the operator, but the recoil of the tool during jamming will occur on the user. In the second case, everything happens the other way around. For safety reasons, it is considered that correct rotation is when sparks fly towards the operator, because when the tool is jammed, the jerk of the tool will be in the opposite direction.
In any case, manufacturers recommend that the movement of the angle grinder and the rotation of its wheel be oriented in the same direction. This greatly reduces the possibility that the disc will come out of the slots during workflow. But with this method, the markings on the material are often hidden by flying sparks.
You can change the rotation of the nozzle by moving the handle and cover to the other side. This is the simplest option (if possible). A more difficult way is to make changes in the electrical circuit of the device. But it doesn’t always help.
When cutting, it is necessary that the work plane does NOT change, and also there are no distortions. Discs Must be used in accordance with the material being processed. So, concrete, tiles, stone are cut using circles of different diameters with diamond spraying.
Nuances of cutting Some materials
When cutting concrete, follow these recommendations:
- Before work, check for the presence of pipes, fittings, electrical wiring embedded in concrete (with a metal detector or devices for searching for wiring)
- To reduce dustiness, the work surface is moistened with water (for example, from a spray bottle or a brush)
- Periodically cool the cutting element with air or water.
In the absence of a tile cutter, the angle grinder will also cut tiles. Experts cut even circles into tiles. Stone with tiles is cut in two ways:
- Wet (moisten the work area with water)
- Dry (no moisture).
The first option improves cooling, but dirt remains, and the second produces a lot of dust. The wet method is used for large volumes of upcoming work, and the dry method is used for one-time cutting.
Any material should be cut smoothly so that the disc is immersed in it with slight pressure, almost only under the action of its own mass. This is to prevent distortion of the disc and reduce the likelihood of jamming. If the process slows down, then it is necessary to replace the nozzle with a new one.
Use the angle grinder in accordance with the operating instructions and safety regulations. The working part should rotate in the direction of movement of the tool. Before starting the process, be sure to turn on the device at idle speed. In this case, vibration, heating of the angle grinder, as well as extraneous sounds from it should be absent. The circles must be used without damage. The most dangerous factor is kickback. To prevent this, it is required to avoid wheel jamming when cutting materials for fracture.
Protective cover and goggles. Unavoidable conditions of non-hazardous work. The two most important rules that are made must be produced. Do not work with the angle grinder with the protective cover removed and without glasses. Sparks, abrasive particles, metal splinters and scale. Inevitable companions when working with an angle grinder. Getting them in the eye leads to injury.
Glasses on the second mask replacing them are of a closed type. Sparks and debris fly along the complex mowing line of the movement and are able to fly over glasses or a mask if they are not open to friends. It is good if the mask has a safety net, since the blows from the fragments of the circle are so strong that an unreinforced mask may NOT withstand the impact.
The protective cover is the first barrier to stand at the boundaries of the operator and rotate around at high speed. Destruction of the latter. Quite a common occurrence. Probably, who to a certain extent often uses an angle grinder, at least once, alas, have come across it with its help. In most cases, the destruction of the circle occurs when it is pinched (jammed) into the slot.
The protective cover is installed so that sparks and debris are not ejected towards the operator. Below are the images that clearly show how the casing protects the operator if the circle collapsed during its rotation. It is clearly seen that the sector of the scattering of fragments is set by the gap in the casing.
There is this experience at the bottom of the article.
The fastening of the casing must prevent it from spontaneous rotation. No matter how awkward it may sometimes remain to work with the casing, it must not be removed from the tool. Otherwise, the operator is not immune from the most nasty consequences.
Other personal protective equipment. NOT counting glasses as an indispensable means of personal protection while working, an angle grinder should also include gloves or gloves. The hands are in specific proximity to the rotating circle and must be protected from sparks, abrasive particles and metal splinters. It is best to use thick leather gloves to protect your hands, cotton gloves do not have the ability to serve as reliable protection against sparks.
How an angle grinder should not work
Safety when using the angle grinder should come first. According to it, it is prohibited:
- Make working manipulations without PPE;
- Works in light clothing that does NOT completely cover the body (arms, legs)
- Use a machine, and not equipped with a casing to protect against sparks;
- Start using it without checking the tool’s performance at idle speed;
- Work with a disc that is defective or unsuitable for the material;
- Be located in the cutting plane;
- Presses with effort on the tool;
- Work so that the direction of rotation of the circle is towards the operator;
- Do the work without taking breaks, because hands get tired and it is difficult to hold the angle grinder firmly;
- So that the workpiece to be processed is NOT fixed (for example, in a vice or clamps)
- Sharpen metal parts with the side part of the disc;
- Cut workpieces, the thickness of which exceeds half the radius of the circle used;
- Finding unauthorized persons in the working area;
- Touch the attachments until they cool down, because they get very hot during cutting and grinding from friction;
- When deepening the circle into the workpiece, turn on the tool;
- Thin sections with thin disks;
- Use attachments with a larger diameter than the angle grinder is designed for;
- Position the workpiece so that when cutting, the circle is pinched (the spray should be on a break, and not on squeezing).
Safe use of a saw in an angle grinder is ensured by the fact that it is replaced only when the device is disconnected from the mains.
General safety rules
Handle the angle grinder correctly to reduce the possibility of injury when working with the angle grinder. It is necessary to comply with the following rules of use:
- Always use personal protective equipment. Operator’s health must be in good condition.
- Before work, it is necessary to check the correctness and reliability of the casing fastening so that it does not fall off in the process, and sparks do NOT fly off from the operator.
- Use only whole discs without defects (cracks, chips, fractures) and strictly as intended for processing a specific material.
- A protective shield must be located between the operator and the circle to provide protection if the latter is destroyed.
- Before starting work, you need to check the performance of the tool at idle for about 1 minute: uniformity of rotation at maximum speed, no vibration.
- Before implementation, inspect any tips to determine their suitability for use.
- It is necessary to protect objects that can ignite from sparks with an asbestos or ordinary damp cloth: oily rags, fuels and lubricants, paper, solvents, ropes.
- It is required to constantly securely fix the working attachments so that they DO NOT fall off.
- If it is possible to control the speed of rotation, set the speed recommended for cutting or grinding the working material.
- Cut the tree very carefully, as hitting a branch can cause the tool to jerk out of the hand.
- It is forbidden to install attachments from a circular saw due to the fact that they are designed for a different spindle rotation speed.
- Hold the tool with both hands.
- When starting to work, you need to remove all unnecessary and make sure that there are no objects on the cutting plane, except for the workpiece.
- Take regular breaks from work.
- If the work attachment is stuck, turn off the tool immediately.
- Maintain a stable (balanced) body position.
- The power cord must be kept away from the rotating part so that it does not cross-sections or cause a short circuit.
- Only after a complete stop of the circle is it allowed to release the tool from the hands.
- When moving around the workplace, turn off the angle grinder, and this must also be done when turning off the supply voltage.
- Only cut at full speed.
The outlined safety measures Developed by manufacturers of angle grinders, as well as by special organizations (services) involved in labor protection.
A person working with an angle grinder must be adequate and in a balanced psychological state.
Which way is the correct rotation of the disc in the angle grinder and the correct installation of the guard
Anti-dust respirator, as it is also called, the mask is used in this case if stone materials are processed without the use of dust extraction devices.
Men’s clothing is NOT wide and perfectly tucked in. Loose parts are usually tightened in a rotating circle.
It is unacceptable to fit larger discs on the angle grinder than it is intended for. Small-sized angle grinders have higher rotational speeds than huge machines. Circles of huge diameters (both new and used and reduced in diameter) are variations of NOT to withstand high speeds and collapse. This is all the more unsafe since the protective cover has to be removed to install a huge circle. over, the very high load from the rotation of the huge circle causes increased bearing wear and reduces tool life.
You can also not use warped circles: with a crack, chips and a pothole that differ from roundness or flatness. This leads to a reverse impact and finally the destruction of the circle with the creation of a traumatic situation.
One of the most important safety requirements when working with an angle grinder. Inadmissibility of using saw wheels for wood in an angle grinder. Due to its own Extreme Threat, this will be completely ruled out. The history of the operation of grinders is full of catastrophic facts resulting from the installation of saw wheels for wood there.
How to cut an angle grinder correctly, by yourself or by yourself?
Cutting angle grinder of concrete, tiles, stone. Cutting concrete, tile or stone must be done with Special circles created to work with these materials. When cutting THESE materials, there is a lot of dust that is harmful to health. A more closed protective casing with a branch pipe for connecting a vacuum cleaner was made in the chandeliers for dust removal.
If it is unrealistic to organize dust extraction, you need to use a respirator with a P2 class filter. You can suppress dust with a jet of water directed at the cut, use room ventilation.
It is necessary to be especially careful when making wall cuts, in which the various pipelines, electronic cables and fittings are located. When a disc hits there, a reverse shock sometimes occurs. Damage around electronic wires can cause a short circuit, and accidental cutting of a gas line can lead to an explosion. Before working in unfamiliar places, you need to study them for the presence of communications.
Turnaround blow. The main danger during operation of the angle grinder is reverse impact. Abrupt and unexpected kickback of the tool and therefore jamming of the rotating wheel in the workpiece. With all this, the circle is often destroyed.
According to the laws of physics, the reactive movement of the instrument occurs in the direction opposite to the rotation of the disk. Backstroke is usually the result of operator error. To warn him or avoid the languid consequences when, if he nevertheless happened, certain precautions will help:
- Hold the tool firmly with 2 hands. For this purpose, standard handles are used.
- The body must be in a stable position. This will help withstand the force of the kickback.
- It is necessary to be away from the correct selection of the studio where the instrument will move with a reverse impact. If the cut-off wheel is pushed “away from you”, if the backstroke is passed, the power tool may bounce directly onto the operator.
- When handling corners and sharp edges, you need to take extraordinary care and prepare for the likely discard of the tool. Quite often, a reverse blow occurs at the end of the cut, when the last jumper connecting the individual parts of the workpiece is cut. In this case, in order to avoid a kickback, it is recommended that you do not finish the cut, remove the circle and carefully cross-sections the jumper, and in addition.
- If it gets stuck, turn off the tool and remove it from the cut.
Operations that can be performed with an angle grinder
The angle grinder is a multifunctional tool. The drive mechanism in it is an electric motor, which, through a gearbox, transmits the movement of the shaft with a replaceable nozzle attached to it. A general view of the device is shown in the photo below.
On the market there are models that differ in power and design:
Angle grinder (angle grinder) FT-1318
Professional large angle grinder 230mm Stern AG230B
- With or without handles.
Powerful devices are powered by a three-phase voltage of 380 V, and household devices are powered by a single-phase 220 V. There are also low-power battery models.
An angle grinder (angle grinder) can do the following main types of work with various materials:
The angle grinder is designed to work with the following materials:
- Ceramic tiles;
The angle grinder is widespread both in everyday life and in industrial conditions. This is due to their broad functionality due to the following factors:
- A large selection of different attachments from different materials for performing various operations;
- The possibility of fixed fixation using special fastening devices;
- Presence in some models of additional handles and several high-speed modes of operation.
At the same time, you must constantly remember that only special discs are used for processing each material.
Read the same. Protective equipment used
When operating the angle grinder by the user The following personal protective equipment must be worn:
- Protective mask or goggles that cover the eyes from all sides;
- Gloves made of thick fabric or leather;
- Special footwear (whole, stable) and work clothes;
- Respirator, which will provide protection against the penetration of small particles into the respiratory system when cutting concrete, glass or ceramic tiles, brick, porcelain stoneware, foam block, stone and other dusty materials.
When working with an angle grinder, the use of protective equipment is mandatory. It helps you work safer.
How to remove, change a jammed disc from an angle grinder?
How to remove a disc from an angle grinder. An angle grinder (hereinafter referred to as an angle grinder), popularly referred to as an angle grinder, is probably the most demanded inventory, which is present in the arsenal of almost every master, regardless of his qualifications.
This is a tool that is actively used in abrasive processing: cutting, grinding, cleaning workpieces from stone, metal and many others. It is widely used in areas such as: construction, woodworking and other similar types of work. Like any other tool, the angle grinder is also NOT divided into several classes.
This refers to the following: household, semi-professional and pro-class instrument. This classification is determined by the power resource of the tool, its performance, the presence of certain additional options, material and build quality, etc.
Consumables for an angle grinder, in addition to various types of cleaning brushes, are cut-off wheels and a variety of grinding discs. Attachments for angle grinders: how to make the right choice?
The main question: How to choose the right disc for your angle grinder?
When choosing accessories for an angle grinder, first of all, you should decide on the type of proposed work. The choice of the type of disc will depend on this. We also want to mention that when choosing consumables, be sure to take into account the power characteristics of each specific model. Examine the labeling. Often, it is printed on the disc itself and includes a set of symbols by which you can determine the relevance of this consumables to perform the intended work.
Also, focus your attention on such a parameter as the diameter of the disc. In no case should it exceed the size of the protective cover on the particular tool model. The size range of discs is usually represented by the following diameters 115, 125, 150, 180 and 230 mm. The most common diameters are 125 mm. And 230 mm. They are optimal for most types of work and the capabilities of the tool itself.
Among the grinding discs based on bakelite, the most popular discs are 6.00 mm thick. This parameter depends on the total diameter of the disc. The relationship is as follows: the larger the disk diameter, the greater its thickness and vice versa.
How to place a disc on an angle grinder correctly?
In order to correctly place the disc on the angle grinder, it should first be noted that the disc is installed on the spindle of the angle grinder using a special clamping flange with M14 thread. Let’s take a closer look at how to remove a disc from an angle grinder. In order to unscrew the disc from the angle grinder, you first need to dismantle the flange. Especially for such purposes, manufacturers complete the angle grinder with a special open-end wrench. It has a specific shape. The pins located on the horns of this key are inserted into specially provided holes on the flange.
To unscrew the flange, fix the spindle. To do this, clamp the latch, which is usually a button on the top of the case. When pressed, the cotter pin is placed in the hole of the driven disc of the gearbox, and this in turn prevents its rotation. Next, we insert the pins of the key into the specially provided holes on the flange, pressed the latch, it must be simultaneously turned counterclockwise and move the flange from its place. If the manipulations were successful and the flange gave in, you can Unscrew it by hand and put it aside.
Now let’s dismantle the disk. Often, in the process of intensive work with the tool, a certain deposit of small particles of metal and abrasive material forms on the inside of the protective casing. For optimal, stable and durable operation of the angle grinder, remove the bottom of the flange and clean the casing with a steel brush.
To install a new disk, after cleaning the casing, you must perform the following actions:
- Install the bottom flange in place;
- We put a special gasket on top of it (if gaskets are not provided, you can cut them yourself. The optimal material will be cardboard or tin).
- Install the disk;
- We put the second gasket;
- Top Install the top flange;
- We wrap the upper flange by hand in the opposite direction from the rotation of the angle grinder wheel, while holding the disk itself;
- Next, press the release button again and scroll the flange with your hand until you do NOT feel resistance;
- At the final stage, we make the final fixation using the same open-end wrench. To do this, insert the key into the holes and scroll a little more.
After all the actions taken, you can safely continue to perform work.
One of the most frequently asked questions about mounting / dismounting tooling of an angle grinder is: “Which side does he put the disc on the angle grinder?”.
Usually, inexperienced masters ask such a question. Is it possible to set the circle on the wrong side. Yes. Firstly, if the disc is not flat, but, for example, petals, then you will NOT be able to install it incorrectly, if the petals are located incorrectly, you just distort the casing and the handle of the angle grinder. That is, the question disappears by itself.
If the circle is still flat, then you should be guided by its label, the so-called “shirt”.
If the angle grinder rotates towards itself, the disc should be installed with the “jacket” outward, if the disc rotates away from itself, then, accordingly, it must be installed with the “jacket” inward.
If you do not adhere to this algorithm, there is a high probability that the disk will fail very quickly or immediately deform.
Remove the disc from the angle grinder
This method involves the use of the famous VD-40 grease.
It is probably like electrical tape, applicable in all cases of life.
You need to spray the flange, wait about 5 minutes and try to unscrew it with a wrench.
Remove the disc from the angle grinder
This method is used in extreme cases.
Discs for an angle grinder differ among themselves in the following main features:
- Outside diameter;
- Disc thickness;
- The material from which the disc itself is made;
- The characteristic of the maximum rotation speed;
- And, of course, the area of proposed work.
For the best understanding, let’s take a look at the main types of angle grinder discs and define their application:
- Cut-off wheels. It is the most widely used consumable for angle grinder. Their main purpose is to work with metal, stone and wood. A variety of cutting wheels for an angle grinder are diamond discs. It is a heavy-duty tooling for processing high-strength materials such as reinforced concrete, tiles, porcelain stoneware, marble.
- Grinding and roughing discs. As the name implies, this type of disc is used for grinding various materials, for example, polishing products made of stone, or for removing (roughing) the top layer, for example, removing a layer of rust or old paint coating.
What to do if the disc is jammed (bitten) on the angle grinder?
Everyone who has experience of intensive work with an angle grinder has probably at least once encountered such a situation.
This usually happens if the disc is pinching between parts, it stops or breaks, and the angle grinder motor continues to rotate and thus permanently tightens the nut.
So what can you do if you bit a disc on an angle grinder?
Each master has his own secrets. Especially for you, we learned a few of them and now we will share the most common ways to get out of the situation.
Cut-off wheels for an angle grinder, in turn, have their own subspecies, such as:
- Cutting wheels for metal work;
- Abrasive wheels for working with stone;
- Wheels for woodwork;
- Diamond discs (mentioned above).
The purpose of each type of disc usually corresponds to its name.
Among the grinding discs, there are four main subtypes. flap, wire, diamond and bakelite-based grinding discs (straight, profile T41 and disc-shaped, profile T27).
- The flap disc is made from sandpaper. Its main purpose. It is the elimination of existing coatings such as old paint, primer or paint coat. Also, with disks of this type, wood products are polished.
- Wire discs are used by artisans to remove rust. They can also remove other types of stubborn dirt.
- Diamond discs are used for stone polishing.
- Disc discs are made of plastic or rubber and are used for polishing metal surfaces.
Which way to unscrew the nut on the angle grinder
And check again. by disconnecting the angle grinder from the mains and disassembling the structure on the spindle. It should be something like this:
– club (with splines fixed on the axis and a protrusion for the diameter of the disc),
– the disc itself (which rests on the washer and is centered by the protrusion),
– nut (which presses the disc with the flat part).
Collect all this without effort and try with your hand to return the disk in the direction opposite to its rotation (i.E., simulating its behavior in real rotation). the nut, when friction is in the disk, should tighten. If so, it is not clear what and at what moment is unscrewed.
PS And the profile under the gypsum board is more humane and faster to cut with scissors!
And what kind of balgarka is this? Can it be done so badly that you can’t really tighten it? Or, for example, when starting and stopping, she unscrews the nut itself (if it is absolutely cheap).
You can counter if everything is so bad
When stopping, only the angle grinder with brake can be unscrewed. And this is not a cheap angle grinder #128521;
In general, it’s really strange.
Nut, just not flat on its sides, and these nuts are made of different materials
(At home, even aluminum is lying around somewhere)
Imhohome Forums hands from the shoulders The clamping nut is unscrewed on the angle grinder
This thread has 11 replies, 10 members, last updated by Vitaliy on Aug 21, 14 at 6:42 am.
The disc turns clockwise. The nut must also turn clockwise or counterclockwise?
The nut clockwise, never unscrewed, but quite the opposite.
The nut is tightened clockwise. Lock the shaft normally and tighten. often she does not want to unscrew rather than flies. Once I had to disassemble the whole head into an angle grinder (at the same time I cleaned and greased it), so that Wykrut broke the disc and in the process tightened so that he bent 2 keys (they are somehow flimsy).
ZY Before operating the angle grinder, DO NOT be too lazy to put on the protection
The disc spins clockwise.
))))))))))))))) Really? Clockwise. the nut, and the disk should rotate towards.
If you specifically have a snack, you can unscrew it with an adjustable wrench.
When he disassembled his head and squeezed it in a vice from the other end, unscrewed it only with a gas key
For snacks, cardboard circles help, in most cases I twist 99% with my hands. You stop it with a button, and turn it right behind the disc, there have never been any problems.
And I heard that welded ones are specially made so that the disk spins in the other direction, but why? I do not know.
Knock out arrow on angle grinder (on housing). This is in which direction it is shown. in that direction the disk is spinning. And in that direction you need to tighten the disc. To do this, simply turn the disc by hand. all nuts are tightened On the Nut, right-hand thread.
If sparks fly at you, then the right-hand thread and upon impact (when the angle grinder is pulled out of the hands), the thread is automatically tightened.
If sparks come from you. the disc will not be fully tightened. it will unscrew. To avoid when your angle grinder is knocked out of your hands and the nut is jammed. you need to put a cardboard gasket between the disc and the nut (it will even go from a pack of cigarettes)
This simple operation sometimes baffles even experienced locksmiths or users of an angle grinder. The reason is that the disc is fixed with a special nut. There are 2 or 4 holes on the Nut, into which a special key is inserted. This key was always included with the purchase of an angle grinder. Perhaps he is now included in the kits.
According to the instructions for the angle grinder, you must press the lock, which is located on the back of the gearbox. When the shaft is fixed, use a special wrench to unscrew the nut and change the disc. But it is difficult to unscrew the nut if it is NOT clamped. And it clamps it with such a nut almost always. An attempt to unscrew the disc leads to breakage of the retainer along the gearbox.
What is the solution to the problem offered by experts and amateurs
- Install a newspaper gasket under the nut;
- Install a gasket from a plastic bottle under the nut;
- Replace the nut with a nut of a different design.
What is a newspaper strip. This is a paper club in the size of a nut. It is put on the Installed disk, and a nut is screwed on top. This piece of paper was a sticking point, because the safety inspectorate has always announced that such a decision is harmful.
Representatives of safety authorities treat the installation of gaskets made of any other materials in the same way:
- Gaskets from various plastics;
- Rubber gaskets of various thicknesses.
But there is a solution that does not contradict the safety requirements, and allows you to install and remove the disk normally. This is a special nut that consists of two parts. a nut and a washer. The use of such a nut does not require any shims, because the disc does NOT jam with it.
If there is no special key at hand, then the craftsmen offer to do without the key. This does not mean that you can do without a key at all, but use a “gas key” or a second device. To do this, tighten the retainer, tighten the nut with a gas wrench and unscrew it. This way you can replace a jammed disc, but this is a very inconvenient operation for one person.
There are also suggestions to clamp the disc with your hand and unscrew it. Perhaps, but it is unlikely that it will be possible to replace broken disks. It is better to use the keys, which are designed to remove and install disks.
Some foreign companies, manufacturers of power tools, such as Bosh, produce an angle grinder with easily removable nuts. They securely fix the disc on the tool shaft, easily and quickly removed for disc replacement.
How to remove a hardened disc from an angle grinder
Applying new nuts solves the problem of removing the disc, but what to do with an already eaten disc? Even if the disc was installed correctly, it is not always possible to remove it. Practice suggests different ways to solve the problem. You can clamp the retainer and hit through the extension on the nut holes in the direction of untwisting. This option is possible only if the retainer is in good condition. But the retainer may NOT withstand such a solution to the problem and break.
The second method is more logical. Under the clamping nut and the lower support washer there is a gearbox shaft with turned chamfers. They put on the lower support washer. A standard wrench cannot be installed there. it is very narrow. But you can take a regular open-end wrench on “17” and grind it on both sides.
The turned key will enter the gap, fit on the shaft chamfers and fix it. Now any nut will be unscrewed with any key, and the disc or its remains will be removed from the angle grinder.
How to properly place a disc on an angle grinder
Grinding discs have different diameters, different thicknesses and different uses. Some are made for metal processing, the second is for ceramics, and the third is for wood.
An angle grinder must be fitted with a disc of this size, which does not exceed the size of the protective cover. The size of the disc to be installed is indicated in the instructions and on the marking table of the angle grinder.
The thickness of the disc is selected according to the technological parameters of the material being processed. All discs (grinding wheels) have their own classification. Disc shape, material abrasiveness, grain size, hardness, accuracy class and unbalance class are classified. It is the last value that is responsible for the fact that some discs begin to beat during operation.
The grinding wheel has a front and a back. The front side is the one on which the manufacturer’s markings and corporate drawing are applied. Face upwards when installed on an angle grinder.
Installs the disc in this way. So that during operation, sparks with particles of the material being processed fly towards the worker. This is related to a safety issue. If the angle grinder breaks free from the hands, it will NOT fly towards the worker.
Therefore, when working with an angle grinder, it is imperative to wear protective clothing or a heavy apron. Eyes and open parts of the face must be protected with a mask or at least goggles.
How to Unscrew a Nut in an Angle Grinder. Which way to turn the nut on an angle grinder to remove the disc?
Modification of the nut and the gearbox shaft. Step # 1
Break not build
Scrap pliers are the remains of a cutting disc. Removing the maximum possible.
Look. Notes and Tips
To reduce the likelihood of clamping the working disc on the angle grinder, smoothly load the tool in order to exclude the disc braking when it comes into contact with the material being processed.
The disc should be installed on the spindle with the pattern (marking) outward (towards the clamping nut), since it is on this side that the disc has a wide metal washer. If the disc is jammed or broken, the movable clamp will be easier to handle as it will slide over the metal washer rather than the rough surface of the disc.
Helps by placing a washer made of cardboard or other not too hard material under the nut. But this method is NOT stipulated by the tool manufacturer, since this may upset the balancing and the reliability of the disk mounting on the spindle is NOT guaranteed.
Heat the retainer nut using a blowtorch or gas torch. The heat source in this case does not matter. The main thing is not to overdo it with heating, so as not to damage the spindle bearing.
How easy it is to unscrew a jammed nut on an angle grinder
In this article, I want to talk about a simple way to unscrew the jammed nut on an angle grinder due to biting the cutting wheel.
Very often there are situations when you are cutting something with an angle grinder and suddenly it clings or bites on the cutting disc, or even completely crumbles.
And it is in such a situation that it is quite difficult to unscrew the nut of the angle grinder without any auxiliary techniques or tools.
But, there is one very good proven method, which works 100%, has been tested more than once.
And what is needed for this, you just need to warm up the nut very well, since the heated nut expands and unscrews well, but what to do in cases where you do not have a torch or a cutter at hand.
So, what we do for this, first we split the remaining circle, remove all its excess so that there is one nut left, like in the picture.
Next, we take a wooden block and start it as if an angle grinder is dusting, but we saw only with one nut.
So, we saw for about one minute, so that our nut heats up well, well, then we take the Corresponding key and calmly unscrew the nut.
That’s all, you can put a new disk and continue working.
Step # 2
Remove all abrasive
For the next step, you will need a metal plate that is less thick than the disc. We turn on the angle grinder, and with this plate we grind off the remnants of the abrasive, which is located under the fixing nut. Don’t forget about safety precautions.
Why is the lock nut tightening?
The angle grinder, depending on the brand and diameter of the working disk, develops from 6000 to 12000 rpm. When the rotating disk sharply touches the surface to be treated, the following fast processes occur.
The cutting disc, cutting into the material, experiences great resistance and slows down somewhat, but the rotor of the electric motor rotates for a few more moments by inertia at the same speed and literally twists the spindle thread into the grove-lock, pressing it into the cutting wheel. Now it will not be easy to unscrew it, especially with a native key.
There are various ways to get rid of this defect. But not all of them pass without a trace for the instrument. Here we will consider one of them, which can be called an auto thermal.
How to fix disc clamp on an angle grinder
To implement this method, you will need some kind of massive wooden material: a piece of thick board, a piece of timber or just a stump.
Then we take an angle grinder with a tightly clamped disc, turn on the tool and press the fixing nut against the surface of the stump with sufficient force so that it continuously rubbed against the wooden surface.
The process must be continued for two to three minutes. This time is quite enough for the clamping nut not only to heat up, but to glow hot. If heating is NOT stopped in time, there is a risk of damage to the spindle bearing due to overheating.
The degree of sufficiency of the thermal effect on the fixing nut can be checked using a pipette filled with water: drops from it instantly evaporate, as soon as they reach its surface.
Next We proceed in the standard way. Press the button for quick disk replacement and use a standard wrench to unscrew the nut without any effort. In this case, the well-known property of metal helps us to expand when heated.
The nut can be unscrewed absolutely effortlessly.