A manual jigsaw is used to cut all kinds of figures from wood, plastic, thin metal and plywood. It is used by both experienced professionals to create objects of art, and children who are just taking their first steps in making toys and interior items with their own hands.
Description and device
From a technical point of view, a manual jigsaw is a very simple device. It consists of a metal arc, between the tips of which a sawing tool is attached. A handle is attached to one of the ends of this arc. for it the master holds the device during his work. The most important element of the jigsaw is the saw blade, since how light, convenient and effective the tool will be dependent on its quality and sharpness.
Unfortunately, modern nail files do not differ in decent quality at all, therefore, experts recommend giving preference to imported ones, for example, products of Swedish manufacturers have proven themselves very well.
Many people wonder whether a hand jigsaw can completely replace an electric one. The answer is categorical. no. Both of these tools have nuances of use, therefore, in the home workshop they should complement, and not mutually exclusive, each other. It will not be possible to cut thick wood and thick metal with a manual device, but its cut will be thinner and much more accurate than that obtained when working with an electric modification.
It should be noted that a manual jigsaw is much cheaper than an electric jigsaw, therefore it is recommended to purchase it for children and adolescents who only hone their sawing skills.
Hand jigsaws are very diverse: large and small, children, school and professional. There are models designed for sawing tiles, as well as jewelry options. All of them vary in size, as well as the features of the files. Nowadays, there are quite a lot of jigsaw manufacturers, because the tools are very different in price, equipment and, of course, quality. Saw blades can have different sizes and different structures.
The most common files with a straight double tooth, as well as spiral.
The first option is optimal for creating a quick and direct cut. In most models, the length of such canvases is 13 cm, and the working surface is 8.5 cm. These devices can cut wood, plywood, as well as plastic. Spiral blades, in contrast to straightened ones, are characterized by a twisted shape, so they are often used to create round elements. due to the peculiar shape, the file will not get stuck in a wooden blank.
When making a decorative cut, special tools are required, which allow you to create smooth lines and bends even of microscopic dimensions. For such manipulations, it is best to use a jewelry hand jigsaw. in contrast to the more common analogue used when working with wood and other sheet materials, this device is lighter and more compact.
How to choose?
In order to correctly select a manual type jigsaw, you need to pay attention to several factors, important for the operation of the tool.
- The form. It can be rectangular and peaked. each of them is used for certain types of sawing.
- The mass of the tool. Working with a hand tool is usually quite painstaking and lengthy, because the hand gets tired very quickly. That is why it is worth giving preference to lightweight models with ergonomic handles. Optimally, if the shape of the handle is anatomical. that is, corresponding to the bends of the human palm (it is much more convenient to use them).
Video: Difference of a Hand Jigsaw from a Hand Hacksaw
Keep in mind that in most cases light models are produced abroad, domestic manufacturers are increasingly offering tools that have very substantial weight.
- Jigsaw frames are aluminum, iron, titanium or steel. If you need a durable and sturdy tool, then it makes no sense to opt for jigsaws with an aluminum frame, since the strength of this metal is small. It is better to give preference to titanium or steel options. Of course, they cost an order of magnitude more expensive, but are able to cope with heavy loads, they last much longer, and the work process itself is much more comfortable.
- Tool clamps can be represented by nuts or drums. The second option is considered more preferable, since it determines the most comfortable work with such a jigsaw. in this case, no additional devices are required, for example, wrenches to replace the blade. All that is required of you is simply to unscrew the drum, and then replace the blade manually.
- Manufacturer Chinese tools are cheap, but they are not worth buying, because their life is usually very short. Professionals recommend working with products from world famous brands Stanley and Intertool, Mastertool, as well as Topex. These companies have long and firmly established themselves in the market as manufacturers of the highest quality reliable sets of metalwork tools.
How to assemble?
After you have selected the material and applied the contour of the pattern, it is necessary to assemble a working tool. This is easy to do. First you need to tighten the file near the handle below, then carefully thread the free end into a special groove on the opposite side and, having slightly pressed the handle, fix it in it. Keep in mind that the teeth of the saw surface must always look down at the handle of your tool.
Many inexperienced users try to squeeze the frame as much as possible. this is not worth doing: the only thing you will achieve in this way is to break the metal arc. It is quite simple to bring the ends closer to each other by 1-1.5 cm. Usually, the handle is squeezed by the hands or rested on the chest with a tool. If you do not have enough strength to tighten the drums by hand, you can resort to the use of pliers.
It is very easy to make sure that the saw blade is fixed correctly, in this case, during cutting, you can hear high sounds made by teeth twisted into wood or plastic.
Keep in mind that thin files often break. if you plan to use the tool regularly, then you will have to assemble it quite often. That is why it is better to learn how to assemble even before starting work, since the faster and easier the change of the saw blade will be, the easier the whole work will be.
A hand jigsaw has a fundamental difference from the usual hacksaw: it saws at the moment when the master pushes it away from himself, and the jigsaw, on the contrary, cuts when the tool moves towards the worker. This is due to the fact that the working teeth are directed to the handle, and not from it.
So, the procedure for working with a manual jigsaw is as follows.
- First you need to make a blank. If you have already decided on the pattern, then you can safely transfer it to the work surface. usually carbon paper is used for this. It is applied to the workpiece, the necessary pattern is placed on top, and with a sharp pencil it is transferred to wood or plywood.
- After this, the workpiece must be well fixed. for this purpose, a special stand is attached to the workbench or any other table with a clamp. The workpiece is placed directly on the stand and proceed to the main process. sawing. Cutting technology has its own characteristics. Professionals advise sawing in a sitting position, while the jigsaw handle should be located at the bottom. The worker moves his hands up and down, while trying to keep the saw exactly vertical, otherwise the workpiece can simply be damaged. In those areas where the contour is curved, it is desirable to rotate the workpiece itself, but not a jigsaw, otherwise the canvas can be broken. If you need to make an acute angle, then you need to linger in one place until the saw blade unfolds, and then continue to work.
Sometimes it becomes necessary to cut a figure starting from the center of the workpiece. in this case you will have to use a hand drill to drill a small hole inside the drawing and start cutting from it.
However, try to make it not too close to the planned contour, otherwise chips may form on the plywood. Then the file should be pulled out of the tool, inserted exactly into the hole, then. again fix it on the tool and continue its work.