Given the specifics of using gas trimmers, their owners quite often have to deal with certain problems. One of the common troubles is that the lawn mowing does not start or is not gaining momentum. For the most prompt and effective elimination of such a problem, one should have an idea of the main causes of possible malfunctions.
Trimmers can be attributed from a technical point of view to complex devices. Based on this, Before using them, it is strongly recommended that you carefully read the relevant instructions.. However, in practice, many ignore it, often then find themselves in situations where the gas trimmer does not start or is poorly gaining momentum during operation. It is worth noting that similar problems can be encountered when acquiring new models of equipment.
One of the most common causes of these symptoms is a long seasonal break in the operation of the equipment. In addition, poor-quality and untimely maintenance can lead to extremely negative consequences. It is important to remember that this is relevant both for the Chinese lawn mowers, and for representatives of the lineups of famous brands.
The key to effective and efficient repair will, of course, be competent diagnosis of the device. In the process of troubleshooting, you will have to inspect and test, first of all, the key elements. The list of such includes candles, tank, filter units and valves of the fuel system. As practice shows, very often malfunctions of these particular elements become the reason that the lawn mowing does not start. Special attention should be paid to the quality and correct preparation of the fuel mixture, especially when it comes to two-stroke engines. In relation to this parameter, the manufacturer’s recommendations should be strictly followed in order to avoid serious breakdowns and costly repair work. In the case, for example, with a piston ICE group, costs can amount to up to 70 percent of the cost of new equipment.
Often owners of trimmers have to deal with situations where the specified mixture is high-quality, the carburetor is serviceable and tuned, and the device still does not show signs of life when trying to start the engine. In such cases, you should check the condition of the candle. The following steps will fix the problem:
- turn out the candle;
- wipe and dry the part (calcination is undesirable);
- remove fuel and dry the candle channel for 30–40 minutes; such actions will avoid filling the candle with the next attempt to start;
- completely eliminate traces of soot using a file or sandpaper;
- set the appropriate clearance;
- put the candle in place.
If the candle turned out to be working and the seat nest is completely dry, and the engine of the scythe does not start, then wet the threads with gasoline. It is worth remembering that regardless of the quality of the spark issued, initially in a completely dry chamber there will simply be nothing to ignite. Faced with the fact that the spark does not come, it is worth paying attention to checking the contact between the high voltage wiring and the candles. If this connection turns out to be of high quality, then it will be necessary to check the operability of the ignition system control unit. In such cases, it is unlikely that you can do without the services of a qualified specialist.
The next step in diagnosing a gasoline braid will be to check the condition of the filters. Often the lawn mower does not start well or does not start at all in the cold because the air filter is clogged. This malfunction can be detected by excluding it from the system. If after this the braid starts up, you will have to clean or change this element. Experienced users strongly recommend periodically blowing the air filter to maximize its life.
The described tool may also not start up due to problems with the supply of gas caused by the contamination of the fuel filter. To quickly and effectively eliminate such a breakdown, you just need to replace the filter element with a new one. It is important to remember that the suction nozzle must be equipped with a filter, which is provided for by all instructions. Failure to comply with these rules and recommendations may result in costly piston repairs. In the process of diagnosing and finding the source of problems with starting the mower, attention should be paid to the breather, which is responsible for stabilizing the equalization of pressure in the fuel tank. In addition, it is necessary to check the cleanliness of the exhaust channel and the silencer mesh. As a rule, similar problems are most often encountered when troubleshooting old models.
Video: Gas Trimmer Does Not Start: Causes And Solutions
As practice shows, gas trimmers cease to start or function normally after winter, that is, long-term seasonal storage. Before subsequent attempts to start the tool, a thorough diagnosis should be made to determine the source of the problem. There are currently some of the most common causes of a malfunction.
- Initially, it is necessary to check the quality of the fuel. Savings in such cases can have extremely negative consequences. Experienced lawn mowers and experts advise you to prepare a mixture, the volume of which will correspond to the upcoming work, since its surpluses quickly lose their quality.
- Trimmers of such famous brands as, for example, Husgvarna, Makita, Stihl, are very sensitive to the fuel used. It is about fuel quality and octane rating. Providing suitable operating conditions and extending the service life of the equipment will allow refueling with high-quality gasoline.
- At the moment of starting the engine, the lawn mower may stall due to the fact that it fills the spark plug. Often in such situations, you have to deal with the need to adjust the carburetor. It is worth noting that similar problems arise when the braid ceases to start on a hot one.
- Sometimes the tool cannot be started, although the candle is wet, which in turn indicates the flow of the fuel mixture into the combustion chamber. This is usually one of the symptoms that there is no spark. The reasons may be the lack of normal contact between the candles and the high-voltage wire or the drying of the threaded connection in the candle channel.
- If there are no problems with the spark, while the candle itself remains dry, then most often this indicates that gasoline is not pumping. There may be several reasons for this. This, in particular, is about the state of the fuel filter and carburetor.
- The ICE of the braid does not start or immediately after starting stops working, which may be due to clogging of the air filter that impedes the normal supply of air necessary for enrichment of the mixture.
In addition to all of the above, the owners of trimmers have to face more serious troubles. One of those is the wear of the piston group. In such cases, entrust to professionals, which will significantly reduce costs and extend the life of the tool.
It is no secret that the best and most effective way of repair is to prevent possible malfunctions. As already noted, one of the key points is how correctly prepared the gasoline-oil mixture. Its components must be gasoline no lower than AI-92 and high-quality motor oil. The proportions, taking into account which the mixture is prepared, are indicated in the manufacturer’s manual, which is supplied with any gas trimmer. As a rule, oil is added to gasoline using an ordinary medical syringe. Similarly, it is easiest to maintain appropriate proportions.
Quite often, when problems arise with the start of lawn mowing, the owners of the tool try to make repairs with their own hands. With the necessary knowledge and skills, this approach will significantly reduce operating costs. First of all, it is worth checking the fuel system and, in particular, the filter element. If clogging is found, the easiest way to replace the filter is with a new one. If the air filter became source of problems, then you can get out of a difficult situation even in the process of work with insignificant time costs. You will need to perform the following steps:
- remove the filter element;
- directly under operating conditions, you can rinse the filter with used gasoline;
- when using a scythe at home or in a summer cottage, water and simple detergents are used for cleaning;
- after washing, the part is thoroughly rinsed and dried;
- a completely dry filter should be lubricated with engine oil;
- excess lubricant is removed by compressing the filter element with your hands;
- put the cleaned part in place and fix the plastic cover with screws.
If the described steps did not provide a positive result, then the next step is to adjust the idle speed using the appropriate carburetor screw. This topic is devoted to many publications and videos posted on the World Wide Web. When trying to solve the problems in question, you can take several steps.
- The trimmer is placed on its side so that the “air” is on top. This will allow the fuel mixture to enter the bottom of the carburetor. Often, attempts to start the engine are successful if you first dismantle the part and literally send a couple of drops of gasoline directly to the carburetor itself.
- If, after all the described actions, the braid could not be brought into working condition, then attention should be paid to the condition of the candle and, in particular, to the presence of a spark. In parallel, all fuel is completely removed from the combustion chamber.
- Often the owners of the lawn mow are in situations where the fuel and air filters are clean, the candles are working, the fuel mixture is fresh and high-quality, but the ICE does not show signs of life. In such cases, experienced specialists recommend using the universal and proven long-term practice launch method. It is necessary to put the choke in the closed position and pull the starter handle once. After the shutter opens and the engine is started 2-3 times. In the vast majority of cases, the result is positive.
Problems may arise with the starter itself. Often the cable breaks and the handle breaks. Such troubles can be dealt with on your own. In other cases, as a rule, the starter is replaced. It is worth noting that this device can be purchased assembled and installed with your own hands.