The device of angle grinders for all its types is almost the same, they all have the same units and components. The main differences between the models are the presence of additional components that perform different functions. For a complete understanding, consider the angle grinder device and its main characteristics in more detail.
Components Angle Grinder
Angle grinder consists of the following components:
- Shockproof plastic case. The design consists of two elements interconnected by screws. There are holes in the engine location area for timely cooling.
- The electric motor is an angle grinder, consisting of the following elements:
- Stator. consists of bipolar coils with a winding of copper wire. Coils have a certain number of turns, according to the technical characteristics of electrical engineering.
- Rotor. is located inside the stator and is mounted by means of a bearing joint. One bearing is located inside the gear housing, the second is next to the manifold and is fixed directly in the plastic housing. The rotor is made of electrical iron with slots for the location of the wires of the winding. The number of grooves and the pitch of the winding affect the speed of the revolutions.
- Electric brushes. provide electricity supply from the cable to the collector. During normal operation, they have an even glow that is visible through the ventilation hole. If interruptions in the glow or its absence are noticed, this is the first sign of their failure.
- The gear case consists of a durable aluminum alloy that conducts heat well. It serves to mount the gearbox elements. It has holes for installing an additional handle, which creates convenience in the process.
- The gearbox is designed to supply energy to the cutting disc from the rotating armature, thereby ensuring its rotation. It is the gearbox that is responsible for the number of revolutions of the grinding wheel.
Gearbox mechanism itself:
- There are two bearings on the axis on which the driven, planetary gear rotates.
- One end of the shaft contains a nut thread that clamps the trim disc.
- A sun gear is mounted on the axis of the armature of the electric motor, which is the leading gear relative to the bevel gear.
- The release clutch is a device designed to prevent back impact in case of grinding wheel jam during operation. It consists of two disks tightly pressed against each other, preventing an abrupt stop of the rotating rotor shaft and the loads arising from this.
- Spindle speed control device. But not all models have an angle grinder.
- Buttons for starting the engine and smooth starting the device to work. This button allows you to gain spindle speed gradually, which removes the load from the electric motor and prevents possible injuries.
- The SJS system is designed to protect the electric motor from overloads that occur if the circle gets stuck in the building material. Not all models are equipped with such a system.
- Button for convenient removal and replacement of the disk, blocking the planetary gear in the gearbox in the process of loosening the nut in the disk mount.
- Cylindrical nut for attaching the grinding wheel. The clamp is made using a special key.
Description of the main models of grinders
According to the characteristics of the device, its strength, functionality and reliability are determined.
Cutting circle diameter
- This is one of the most important criteria when choosing an angle grinder. This parameter affects how thick the material is capable of cutting. The diameter of the nozzle varies from 115 to 230 mm.
Important! The choice of the diameter of the cutting wheel depends on the power of the angle grinder. Only a powerful device can work with a large disk.
- 115 mm angle grinder is used for the simplest jobs. It is mainly used for surface grinding. The power of the device for this nozzle should be from 0.6 to 1.0 kW.
- A 125 mm circle is used for both cutting and grinding in the home. To use this disk, the angle grinder can work with small dimensions and good operating data at a power of 0.75 to 1.5 kW. For thick parts, this model is not suitable.
- angle grinder with discs of 150 and 180 mm are used not only for working at home, but also on a professional level. Such circles are capable of cutting pipes, plates and other thick materials. The power of the device for such nozzles should be in the range of 1.5–2.7 kW.
- A circle with a diameter of 230 mm allows you to easily cut through any thick building material. such as stone, tile, pipes, etc. It is undesirable to use such a nozzle for grinding work, since the angle grinder for this disk has a large weight and power, which during grinding can adversely affect the result. Suitable for professional builders who are engaged in construction and repair on an ongoing basis.
Video: How Many Turns Per Angle Grinder 125
- The power of the devices is in the range from 0.6 to 2.7 kW.
- Low-power machines are low-functional, they are not recommended for long-term operation.
- For cutting stone, pipes and other thick and hard materials, the power of an angle grinder should be at least 2 kW. And for grinding or cutting of thin material, 0.7–1.0 kW is enough.
- The time resource of an angle grinder depends on the value of its power: the larger it is, the longer you can work with it.
Important! Power selection angle grinder is made depending on the complexity and duration of work, as well as the diameter of the cutting wheel used.
Disk rotation speed
- This indicator indicates how many revolutions per minute the spindle makes. The value can be in the range from 2.8 to 11 thousand rpm. The smaller the drive, the more rpm. For example, with a circle of 115 mm it is possible to work at a speed of 11 thousand rpm, and 180–230 mm. at a speed of 6 thousand rpm.
- Almost all models are equipped with a device for adjusting the speed of rotation of the circle, which is carried out using the installed controller, which allows to reduce or increase the number of revolutions per minute.
Important! Excessive speed of rotation can lead to failure of the device or deformation of the nozzle.
Additional model features
The number of additional devices affects the cost of the device.
The list of common functions:
- A device for smoothly turning on the grinder, which allows you to gradually gain speed rpm. This function eliminates sudden jumps when turning on the angle grinder, which increases its service life.
- The protection function of the mechanism is an angle grinder from jamming of the disk, when it appears, the tool automatically turns off.
- The ability to adjust the position of the handle, which is very convenient for lefties.
- Spindle speed adjustment. This function allows you to set a certain number of revolutions required for different types of work, while saving electricity and consumables.
- The protection function is an angle grinder from repeated activation, which is necessary in the event of a temporary power outage, when the device is forgotten to be pulled out of the socket.
- Constant speed support. Such a function is needed during long and laborious work.
- Damping the vibration of the device during its operation. Makes the operation of the device most comfortable.
- Device for quick change of the cutting circle.
Types of angle grinders
angle grinder are divided into two main types:
- Households are small in size, weight and power. The functionality of such devices is limited, which is why their performance is reduced, since when working with an angle grinder, it is necessary to stop it constantly to cool the mechanism.
- Professional angle grinders have great power and are equipped with additional features that allow you to use the device for a long period. In this regard, professional angle grinder have a high cost.
Features of professional angle grinder:
- high power of the device. from 1.5 kW to 2.7;
- good wear resistance of the constituent elements of the unit, thereby increasing its service life;
- lack of probability of overheating of the mechanism; angle grinder;
- professional angle grinders are heavy, due to the presence of additional components and a frame made of high-strength material;
- multifunctional angle grinder, which simplifies the operation of the grinder.
angle grinders are also divided by the number of handles:
- One-handed angle grinder. the power of such a device does not exceed 1500 watts. They are used for both cutting and grinding work. Some species have a modification to adjust the number of revolutions. The features of such models include:
- good quality;
- low cost;
- ease in the operation of the device;
- the possibility of using a device for grinding or cutting material.
- Two-handed models have high power. from 2000 to 2700 W, which allows you to perform work on cutting solid and thick building materials.
The features of two-handed models include:
- heavy weight;
- high price;
- the ability to use the device for professional purposes.
Summing up, it can be noted that the device of grinders, regardless of their varieties, is almost the same and differs only in functional features. Having examined all types and characteristics of the device, it becomes clear that for household needs you can use an angle grinder with a small capacity, and for professional purposes you should purchase a powerful unit that is able to work on hard and thick material.